Power goes out

>Power goes out
heh, nothin personal kid

Attached: biosupda.jpg (650x287, 36K)

sorry kid I don't live in third world shithole

I considered getting a UPS, then I realized my power has not gone out in the past 7 years.

Attached: 1541652978759.png (448x319, 163K)

Has power never gone out where you live?

This is why I have a UPS, if my computer is shutting down, it's because i'm letting it.

Ok this is epic

>not owning your own generator
wut

Attached: SENSE-WARE_Generator-Rooms-2.jpg (1024x764, 184K)

this
UPS are incredibly underrated

>not owning your own Power Plant
ishygddt

Not him, but Norwayfag here:
Unscheduled power outs: Only experienced this twice in my 32 years.
Scheduled power outs, sure, but they notify all residents weeks in advance.

Unless it's nuclear, hydro electric, solar, or wind, I wouldn't feel comfortable owning a fossil fuel burning power generation facility.

>doesn't own a car

I don't, I live just outside of a major city.

>I wouldn't feel comfortable owning a fossil fuel burning power generation facility
fucking greenfags

Attached: coal-plant.jpg (3537x2345, 494K)

>If I outsource all my fossil fuel requirements to everyone else, I can pretend I'm clean and green.
Living in a city is relying 100% on fossil fuels, your life is provided by them.

Try living out in the middle of nowhere before replying next.

That's why you buy gaming electricity from the power company.

>Living in a city is relying 100% on fossil fuels
Not him, but I live in a city where 100% of the electricity comes from hydro electric power plants and 40% of the car pool are electric. I own an electric car myself.

over 54% of our power is generated solar, or nuclear. I actually work in the industry in my area, we're certainly not the BEST state, but we're not far off.

My laptop had a way to emergency flash bios from a thumb drive. Learned that after flashing a bios mod for the wrong model.

So the trucks and trains bringing in your food is are 100% electric?
Is the Steel making your building from 100% solar/hydro/wind?
How did you go about making concrete without flyash?

You have no idea what goes into a city.

>So the trucks and trains bringing in your food is are 100% electric?
Trains, yes.

Trucks, no, but more and more are becoming electric or runs on hydrogen. I think something like 15% of all trucks running in and out of our city runs on hydrogen. 75% of the buses used in our public transport system do too.

>Is the Steel making your building from 100% solar/hydro/wind?
Yes, our own aluminum plants run on 99% hydroelectric and the remaining from wind.

>You have no idea what goes into a city.
And it's in no way 100% on fossil fuels like you projected in

I don't think anyone is pretending a city doesn't rely on fossil fuels in various ways, the whole point is current power production.

For CURRENT power production you can do a lot to not use fossil fuels which while isn't going to stop us needing fossil fuels in it's entirety, it's certainly a step in the right direction. Not to mention facilitating further growth of the renewables sector and helping to bring costs down for regions of the country where it might not be economically feasible to currently buildout renewables, but with cheaper prices in a decade due to major cities adopting them, it will become cheaper for more areas to implement.

In my 22 years twice:
during a huge storm
A gypsy tried to steal the copper from the transformer and died

Burgeristanian here.

Power goes out every month for a few minutes to 4hr.

Where I lived previously it was out at least once a week because the infrastructure was 60yr+ old and (((they))) didn't want to trim around powerlines.

So a few years ago a fuck-huge blizzard came and knocked out power across like 6 states for 3+ weeks, as most of that aging infrastructure was operated by one shiteating bible belt company.

They had to bring in workers from several other groups and house like 3,000 linemen in a old Walmart for one county, for example.

All because they didn't want to spend a month out of the summer sending men around with bucket trucks, chainsaws and polesaws to trim around the lines in a few bad places.

"It's easier to fix it once it breaks than perform preventive maintenance along the way."

>not using a motherboard with redundant bios flash memory

Attached: 1512666512089.jpg (953x1282, 110K)

Well, because our winters can get quite cold, we have very strict regulations on providers and infrastructure owners. Also, Norway has some jewish tactics in our laws, so that a power plant/dam owner doesn't really own the plant/dam, he only leases the right to use it for 70 years or something like this.

I always wondered how the actual northern countries with the horrific winters handled powerlines and such.

only twice this year.
some dipshit working on the switch.
the block across the street still have power.

the other is the breaker flips. an old cfl tube ballast shorted itself.

>takes 5 seconds to turn on
>computer is still a brick

The computer is powered by it retard.
It's not a UPS

Don't be retarded, any true generation system like that will still have batteries come on for the short time it's spinning up.

A true backup solution will always be double conversion and essentially be running on battery 100% of the time and your power is only being used to keep the batteries topped off.

Well, basically, if the power goes out during winter months, the company will be fined several million NOKs + they are required by law to provide necessary redundancy to handle grid failure.

If you fail to pay your power bills, they will never shut off your power because it could potentially be a risk of death in the winter. They only shut it down once they prove that no one lives at the house. You of course get in massive legal and financial trouble if you don't pay, but you don't risk having it shut off at least, which is nice.

Electric cars are very polluting to build, much like photovoltaic shit

That's an unproven myth.

>If you fail to pay your power bills, they will never shut off your power because it could potentially be a risk of death in the winter. They only shut it down once they prove that no one lives at the house. You of course get in massive legal and financial trouble if you don't pay, but you don't risk having it shut off at least, which is nice.
Same in the US, at least in the colder areas.

In my region, I think the cut off date is the first week of November.

If your power/gas is shut off in October for failure to pay, you have to pay them to get your power/electricity turned back on.

But if you stop paying in November/December, they can't turn your electricity/gas off until the spring time.

>if the power goes out during winter months, the company will be fined several million NOKs + they are required by law to provide necessary redundancy to handle grid failure.

That sounds so wonderful.

Is most of the grid subterranean?

*blocks ur path*

Attached: APC-SMT1000.jpg (491x498, 55K)

>

Let’s take that last part first. Those who oppose electric cars like to say that electric cars create more emissions during manufacturing than conventional cars do. And you know what? They’re right! The UCS found that “Manufacturing a midsized EV with an 84-mile range results in about 15% more emissions than manufacturing an equivalent gasoline vehicle. For larger, longer-range EVs that travel more than 250 miles per charge, the manufacturing emissions can be as much as 68% higher.”

EV standing for Electric Vehicle here

>Is most of the grid subterranean?
I'm not sure actually. If I am to guess, then I'd say no, but that's 100% a guess on my part.

>A gypsy tried to steal the copper from the transformer and died

that's awesome.

Wow! 68% higher. That’s a lot, huh? So, it’s true, electric cars are dirtier than conventional cars, right? Well, actually, no. The UCS report goes on to say, “These differences change as soon as the cars are driven. EVs are powered by electricity, which is generally a cleaner energy source than gasoline. Battery electric cars make up for their higher manufacturing emissions within eighteen months of driving — shorter range models can offset the extra emissions within 6 months — and continue to outperform gasoline cars until the end of their lives.” For more information on this topic, watch this short video:

*Reflashes itself*

Attached: 041.jpg (1024x683, 198K)

/thread

You can get a UPS for basically nothing if you just want to protect yourself against power outages and safely turn off your computer.

I don't deny that, but doesn't change the fact that I was right

You can tell this is Jow Forums because of the pure autism in this reply.

There's no citation to the report itself, so no...

How certain are you? Most outages are tiny ones

American power grid is third world tier.
t. Northeast blackout of 2003

>own a thinkpad with sandy bridge processor
>flash coreboot
>power goes out
>wait till its on again
>re-flash coreboot
>laptop works

Attached: 1e343aee-dc0c-43c3-a60f-916100d2b10c.jpg (1000x800, 61K)

Interesting. I live in the US, and while it's very rare and has never happened without a cause, it's enough of a risk that I have a UPS. It generally happens during bad storms, which happen quite a lot.

>not using a UPS for EVERYTHING

Well, I should specify that I live in a part of Norway that has very little storms and stuff. It just gets really cold here, but it's innlands so not very windy. In the west, it may happen more frequently due to bad weather and storms, there have been occasions of islands that have had blackouts and stuff, but usually power companies try to make arrangements to avoid this and notify citizens in advance that it may happen. Also, generally, when weather gets this bad, they usually recommend evacuation in any case (because the risk of floods and debris being flung due to high wind).

This. No matter where you live, the goods you use are almost certainly made with fossil fuel power. There is no escape. "I don't use it" is not a possible statement unless you live in the woods without clothes or tools. Don't try to make this a moral issue, it's an ethical issue.

>not having a zero-energy psu

Using your own weapon against you

These differences change as soon as the cars are driven. EVs are powered by electricity, which is generally a cleaner energy source than gasoline. Battery electric cars make up for their higher manufacturing emissions within eighteen months of driving—shorter range models can offset the extra emissions within 6 months—and continue to outperform gasoline cars until the end of their lives.

Again, you're missing the point due to autism.

No one is pretending they can live without fossil fuels.

But what the fuck is wrong with trying to use the LEAST amount of them as possible?

Read the post above you, funny timing

Kek

Just because you had a special education class in your school doesn't mean YOU were special ed... does it?

Just because some retard in this thread is pretending his city is 100% fossil fuel free when it isn't doesn't mean that's how the rest of the world thinks.

One retard doesn't dictate the position of your opposition because it makes it easier for your argument.

Those tactics, Jewish as they may be, are a good idea

Eh? What? You're saying that the production of photovoltaic cells being polluting is a myth? I mean, I'd say the pollution is worth it for some clean energy, but to say that's a myth is absurd

Now ((this)) is epic.

On a semi related note, I was in the middle of getting a tattoo done and some guy walks in trying to sell some shit and my artist bugged out talking about how much he hates gypsy scum and how horrible they are. Gave us a good laugh. Didn't know Gypsies existed outside Europe like that

You're stuck 10+ years ago.
Time to update, user.

Nice

Also Burgerstanian here. What third world shithole do you live in America? The shithole I live in literally only get gets powerouts due to extreme hurricanes, and much less than half the time hurricanes occur - which we always know about at least a week in advance. Get out of Detroit my man.

Uh. It doesn't, but it does make the point you were trying to make completely wrong. So no?

Just use a UPS for the power grid

unironically never

The evacuation part of that is kind of funny being used to evacuations only once a hurricane is above category 2. I suppose flooding would at least be more deadly, and the coastal part of Norway's geography is just brutal when it comes to islands and waterways.

This thread has piqued my interest in acquiring a UPS. Where should I start looking for more information?

Oh no, I agree you should try to use as little as possible. That's why I said it's an ethical issue. What I have a problem with is the person saying they wouldn't be comfortable owning something that used fossil fuels. That's stupid, in my opinion, because it makes a moral obligation out of an ethical one.

I.e. Autism, pretty much. This is a less popular opinion since it actually has had an effect on a large scale, but I think the same about vegetarian-related Autism. You're not affecting much on an individual scale, so you should try to match your choices to their overall effect, not your own moral obligation.

Depends on your needs.

I have a 1500VA UPS for my two monitors, desktop PC, and a desk lamp.

In a power outage it can run my equipment for 20-40 minutes (depending on if my computer is gaming, or just idle on the desktop).

If you just want enough time to turn things off (a handful of minutes at most), you can look at 400-500VA, or 900VA units.

I like Cyberpower or APC for consumer gear.

No, I was just pointing out it was funny that the person right before you was doing what you said. No hard feelings.

Find one and steal it

shame, if that power got interrupted somehow

Attached: Picture-28.jpg (2000x917, 572K)

But they pollute less in the long run.
If you got a normal car in the last ~10 years, then sure, changing to an electric car is wasteful, but if you don't have a car or are upgrading from an old car then you should consider buying an electric car if you can.

I had one, what a piece of thrash. It even shat itself when running crossfire 7970s, replaced it with a MSI 990fx, and that was even worse, back USB ports died after a year and then the board died after a month.

>there are people in this thread that don't have even a small UPS for precisely this reason

>not having Gigabyte®'s patented DualBIOS™

How long would a router and modem last on one if these things?

hours

This is why solar + battery backup is the future. Now if only tesla didn't charge an arm and a leg for their powerwall...

Attached: fair.png (667x843, 386K)

CH341A... it's cheap.

I am European

FPBP

this,

or if you use some cables directly from the battery (for your 12v devices (or 5v with stepdown converters)), even days

tested on mine, I got the router and my "servers" (old laptops and some pi-s) on a dedicated ups, if the power goes off the batteries go on feeding em

>mfw in 1998 both Gigabyte bioses fail one after the other because fuck my face

Wasn't there a meme or something about Jow Forums being a bunch of betas that got into tech only because they needed to feel control over something in their lives?
Anyway, this is it 100x

I live in the suburbs of Philly and we get minor power outages that last under a minute here and there. I'm not sure if this is because of a drunk crashing into a power pole or because the infrastructure is shit. Could be both at once.

Oh well that explains it. I am in America though so it was a shocker for me

this. got a cheap 80 euro UPS. saved my machine and file server quiet a few times when the shitty fuses in my apartment blew again. now it won't run my machine for longer than 30 minutes but I have it connected via USB so my PC will get a notice and shut down after 5 minutes.

Italianfag here. I only experienced a power outage twice, and both times it was during a snowstorm

>updating your bios for any reason

lol boomer

>what is fuse getting tripped by chink toaster
retard

Twice in the last 10 years? And both we're caused by massive storms iirc, a bad time to update bios anyway.

I'll never do that during a thunderstorm or anything like that tho

>not having dual bios feature on your motherboard

great success

Attached: very_nice.jpg (360x235, 34K)

just desolder it with hot air and reflash the eeprom. takes like 5 minutes

You can do that with other boards too. All the power going out means is that you can't use the motherboard to flash the firmware. You already weren't so you were fine.