/spg/ - Smartphone General

Shameful Display Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread:

Attached: 1543837825895.jpg (1510x849, 363K)

Other urls found in this thread:

motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility
dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/tCG4pYuM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what the fuck is that image. is not only the fucking hole there that piss me off, is that we can't STILL make a symmetrical top and bottom bezel since the fucking s8

there goes any possibility of buying that piece of shit

they*

I have arround 600 bucks, there is a note 9 on ebay (exynos variant) for 660 usd, should i go for it? i have a really fucked up s7 with front and the back fell apart, battery last like 1 hour; should i bit the bullet? past phones (s7, s6 and s4) dont consider myself a fanboy but its just what ive used in the past

is a fucking A+ phone with some bloatware so I'd go for it if I were you. That, or wait for the S10 if you're into questionable design choices

you go through phones too quickly. it's a waste of money. keep better care of your next device.

Threadly reminder this will remain king of aesthetic phones until late 2019.

Attached: 2XL.png (1200x843, 564K)

Curved screen with a bezel that thick? Come on Samsung.

So apparently the leaker claims something is wrong with the render and is looking into it.

Well, it better be completely fucking wrong because it's hideous as fuck.

Don't get your hopes up

Attached: geskin.jpg (575x415, 49K)

Attached: Dtfgu3WXgAUrY9m.jpg (2048x1517, 462K)

Teardrop notch is so much better than this shit. Now you have to move the notifications next to that hole and it just looks weird. Lack of symmetry makes it look uglier too.

Get the OnePlus 6T, or a cheap xiaomi.

thanks
i used to take care but i went a little reckless with the s7. thanks for the advice.

Thoughts on the potential Pixel 3 Lite?

>stock Android
>great Pixel camera
>headphone jack
>no AMemeOLED
>no dainty glass
>$500

No dual speakers is kinda shit but what can you do.

Attached: stains.webm (1280x720, 2.92M)

Hi, my dad wants to buy Samsung galaxy j4 plus, and I wasnt looking at smartphones for 3 good years and comparing the specs does nothing for me.
Arguments for? Against? Competition to consider within similar price range? A good camera is fairly important to him.

Funny how Samshills can't even agree on the same rendering.

Does anyone know of a music player that can play OPUS and also display cover images? I have a ton of ogg OPUS files with covers but the Xiaomi player won't display covers for them

Samsung's J-series phones aren't worth it. The specs just aren't very good for the price compared to the competition. The Snapdragon 425 SoC in the J4+ is a very low end chipset that can be found in $80 phones, it has 720p resolution which is very low considering it's a 6.0" display, only 276ppi so things won't look very sharp on the screen. Samsung also usually only gives one year of Android updates to the J-series phones.

What is your dad's budget, and what carrier/country?

The only good thing it has is camera(if it's the same as Pixel3), everything else is shit tier: outdated hardware, small storage, dogshit battery.
I'm not sure if price is officially confirmed, but $500 is severely overpriced, they should go for $350 to complete with chinkphones.
Now you can get 6T for almost same price which is superior in every single way. (except camera ofc)

>no OLED
>500 burgers
trash. also has dog hardware all around: small battery, storage etc.
just don't be poor and if you are buy chink.

> 2915mAh that'll go a longer way because of the weaker CPU
>storage on phones is a meme
>OLED burn-in trash makes phone unusable after a year

>shilling an iPhone tier phone
just stop

Attached: tenor.gif (320x286, 1.33M)

Got the old battery out. Assume it isn't suppose to k like it exploded

Attached: 20181203_150438.jpg (4032x1508, 2.96M)

Well guys I was going to buy the Mi Mix 3 but I saw a huge discounts on the Mate 20 Pro by my mobile operator I can get it for 200€ is it worth ? The Xiaomi gonna cost me around 520€~ so the price difference is huge. I just saw the "gluegate" problem so I'm really hesitating now and since I go to Japan for a few months it would suck if my screen get the green effects...

Right now I'm using the Sony Z2 that I bought day one and it's gonna die pretty soon I feel it so I need a phone pretty quickly, even though I hate the notch I can't wait for the new phones that are gonna be released

Honor Play or Nokia 7 Plus?

SONY BROS

Attached: 1536475957311.png (640x418, 158K)

source of the wallpaper?

7 plus without a doubt

Hey, thanks for helping.
He said he considered it because it was on sale costing about 173usd althogh he is willing to dish out about 210usd, as his phone is approaching comatose state.
We are situated in poland, he is with T-Mobile i believe.
I knew hd+ on 6in display would be hot steaming garbage but i wanted to consider other features aswell. Still, probably the most important thing for him would be the camera.

>Mate 20 Pro
>200€
Is it a real discount, or a "discount"? Because the retail price of Mate 20 Pro is 1000€, so I have a hard time believing they're just selling it with such a massive discount without there being some strings attached.

Mate 20 is a joke of a flagship
get the Mi Mix 3

>make ugly overpriced shit for 3 years straight
>they still don't get it
at least they will finally die

It's a discount that I can get on the S9+ too it's because I'm using the same operator since ages

Well I was going to get it but the price is a little bit to much sadly

>Still, probably the most important thing for him would be the camera.
Well, that's garbage on the J-series phones too. With that budget the best option would be Redmi Note 5, you can find the 4GB/64GB version for ~800pln.

I'd try for lower monthly rates and pay for my own phones. Mate 20 Pro is really nice, I'd go with the Note 9 though in that price bracket simply because it's note based on a Kirin chip and doesn't have the notch.

Well my monthly fee is about 30€~ and I have Internet and calls/sms without limitation so it's nice, I just need a good phone honestly I'm tired of my Z2

Well in that case I'd say the Mate 20 Pro is worth it, if you can get it for 200€. About the "gluegate", at least in my country Huawei is replacing all affected devices free of charge. And it only takes a few days to show up so you'd definitely notice it before your trip. The easiest way to check if the phone is susceptible to the issue is to check the display manufacturer with a hardware info app. Only phones with LG displays are affected, if it's a BOE display it isn't affected.

I see thanks for the advice

This looks really good, thanks.

>Huawei
-Dedicated app for Bar/QR Code scanning.
-QR Code generator built-in the ROM
-Can share WiFi authentication, business cards, contact details.
-Gallery app can even recognize QR code in images and decrypt it.
>Apple
-Camera app can decrypt QR codes from iOS11 and up
>Samsung and others
-remote control s pen
QR code is the future, why doesn't samsung and other manufactures care about it?

Attached: 1520873654895.png (903x903, 5K)

May i also ask what would you choose as best camera phone within 400usd?

Xiaomi Mi8/Mi Mix 2S, Pocophone, Nokia 7.1/7 Plus, anything with a good camera sensor and support for GCam really.

On Samsung bixby vision can read QR codes natively live and from gallery. Not sure if there's a way to generate one without an app though.

>can transfer files to device just fine when the phone is turned on
>when the phones off in twrp it says the device is disconnected or stopped responding
>cant mount storage
>cant wipe device to install custom rom

what gives

Sounds like it's encrypted or has some form of anti-theft/tamper protection.

>apple patented folding the oled at the bottom so nobody can do the same
Some patents are fucking dumb

I fixed it by formatting the device

Anyone have the webm of that phone with an oled in the back that had an idle animation going?

it's what somebody pulled out of his ass.

This?

Attached: nubia-x.webm (720x1280, 2.94M)

Ok Jow Forums, I think I'm going to try putting lineage OS on my HTC 10. Any advice? Do I just enable dev mode and install an apk or something? Searched around a little bit, but most of the information for installing lineage on HTC appears to be in Arabic for some reason, and the English guides are pretty vague and shit? I've also seen there might be some kind of issue with speaker drivers and lineage, is that true?

Attached: 1540261620644.jpg (640x640, 24K)

Yes, Samsung bixby vision does read QR code, but that require opening the camera app, switching to bixby vision, taking a picture then the QR code being read.
Is it because no one in the US really uses QR code compared to china?

Attached: qr-code.png (696x696, 33K)

I wish the Mate 20 Pro wasn't super expensive. I'm looking at the Mate 20 X and the lower DPI of 350 is off putting.

I assume that's partly it.

for me it works without actually taking the pic, you can set a bixby vision shortcut on the home screen too. How does it work with the other phones?
Can't say I've really used QR codes though with any smartphone (Europe).

if thats the s10 i aint gonna bother waiting for the note 10 thats literally 100 percent worse than a notch

I just flashed Lineage OS 16 on my new Pocophone
Pros
>Better battery life
>Dark mode
>Easier theme customisation (with Miui I had to change regions in order to add new themes because I live in an EU country)
>Notifications on the left notch work better than stock Miui
Cons
>Can't hide notch
>No native call recorder for my country (Devs are fucking retarded)
>IR face unlock slower than in Miui
>Phone doesn't wake up after being picked up (with Miui 10 the phone would wake up immediately after I picked it up and unlock right after because the IR face unlock is automatically working)
>Lack of gestures (can't take screenshot with 3 fingers)
Overall I get more customisation and everything looks better, but I miss Miui's smoothness

>implying 2915 is enough for a 670 when a 636 comes with 3,000+
>implying any of the hardware listed in its specs is deserving of a $500 price tag
>implying paying $500 for a phone with only 32GB of storage and no mSD support
ISHYGDDT

Can't you just flash RR based on 8.1?

The GCam APK for Oreo is worse than the Pie version

I seriously don't get why they're so stubborn. They aren't appealing to Europeans or Americans, and they stopped catering to Japanese buyers so who the fuck are they trying to appeal to?

tax administrations
the mobile division is for money laundering

>sd660
>no expandable storage
>likely no headphone jack
>half a grand burger dollars
you could seriously do much better. id rather get a xiaomeme and flash lineage on it desu

Well at least that makes more sense.

or get a Mi A2 and its basically the same phone with the option for more storage, an IR blaster and half the fucking price

BQ Aquaris X2 is what the fucking Pixel 3 Lite should have been

How do I know if a scratch on my screen protector is deep enough to affect the screen

pretty much LOL, even the battery is better and its a pretty low capacity for my personal liking. i forgot about the IR blaster too, though ive never really used my phone as a remote

or the LG G7 One, or literally anything on android one

glass or plastic?
G7 One is too nice to be the Pixel 3 Lite for Google's tastes, and it was only released in cuckland, I mean canada

Plastic I think

SD670, not SD660. Has a headphone jack.

Attached: G1HPtW3NK5lT.jpg (1500x1125, 282K)

its like Google's tanking the Pixel program on purpose, I mean what the fuck were they thinking this year? same can be said for Motorola too tbqh
you're gonna have to take it off
still
>32GB storage and that's it
>paltry battery
>$500
ffs they need to put the fucking bong down and quit it with the hippy bullshit, they're not a fucking status symbol

Can't be cuckland if we're the only country with a good Android One phone.

>implying the G7 One is the only good AndroidOne phone

When i swipe right on the home screen on my s7 I get this Google discover tab which is annoying, how can I disable this panel

Attached: Screenshot_20181203-193444_Trebuchet.png (1440x2560, 2.22M)

got to give Canada something to look forward to considering its such a shit country

It is though. Also the only one with an S800 chip, pretty impressive.
The real only problem with it is that it should have been BF prices at launch and not what they're currently asking.

It's nowhere near how awful people love to portray it as, people tend to mind their own business.

>bought replacement battery
>the screens been on for less than 30 minutes
>88%

>BF prices
huh? but honestly I see what you mean, its kind of stupid that they didn't release it globally, and I know the reason they didn't is because it would have taken sales away from the regular G7 in the states, LG did similar bullshit to what Moto did by not releasing the G6 Plus in the US because it was too similar spwcwise to the X4 which was a dick move

Redpill me on adaptive brightness, should I use it if I have an OLED?

The back of that phone style is the only reason I didn't buy it and won't buy any new ones. Pick a style and stick with it

Thoughts on nokia 6.1? (not 6.1 plus)

My 3.5mm jack broke and the Pajeet says it costs more than a whole new phone to replace it with labor because everything is fucking forged together by adamantium. So I guess I'm getting a new phone. Please advise.
>USA
>Verizon
>cell phone, GPS unit, text note holder, very minor web browsing (ie "define susurrous"), 3.5mm jack .mp3 player, thingy that does "the app"s one needs to live semi-normally in $currentYear like coupon displayers and authenticators and such nonsense
>free as in fuck off rootability (so android, I think) preferred
>as cheap as possible
>as small as possible
Thanks Jow Forums.

Gross

any good cheap phones that work on sprint? the 5t and the redmi phones don't have the right band compatibility

Attached: die.png (324x506, 202K)

L M A O

Attached: shfjvw9ym4221.jpg (1040x576, 79K)

What do you think about LG G7 FIT?
I don't want to spend lots of money on my phone and this seems ok (also not very appealed to chinkphones)

Moto E4 is $99 off Amazon for the unlocked version.

One of the budget Motorola phones is probably your best choice on Sprint:
motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility

dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/tCG4pYuM

This version works on Oreo 8.1

What in the fuck is this unholy abomination? I nearly puked

oh you want to switch tabs? *blocks your path*

>QR
Literally what is the point of these dumb fucking codes outside of factory/retail use? It's as quick to just type in a shortened URL or just search for the fucking page they bring you to. Total waste of time.

>My 3.5mm jack broke and the Pajeet says it costs more than a whole new phone to replace it with labor because everything is fucking forged together by adamantium. So I guess I'm getting a new phone. Please advise.
Fix it yourself you lazy fuck. Why are you even on Jow Forums if you can't do simple phone repairs?

Black Friday, I should have been more accurate. It was going for CAD$300-ish (so like 250 usd). Yeah I don't know why they're so afraid of cannibalizing their own sales - It's much better to secure a sale than having them turn to another company anyways.

But hey, what do I know I don't lead a multinational corporation.

What are /spg/ essential apps?

No such thing. Everyone uses what they need