Why are they making me learn this shit? is it even worth while?

why are they making me learn this shit? is it even worth while?

Attached: killlmyselg.jpg (1920x1080, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

crystal-lang.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because colleges are a meme and you're wasting your time and money anyways... Why not push it as far as it will go. See if they can get you to cut your own dick of while they're at it.

it is so fucking bloated but all the modules and extra software like simulink depend on it and is pretty much uncovered by alternatives

Write your own linear algebra routines in assembly.

Lol I'm doing that shit rn, I'm a retard when it comes to coding and math isn't saving me when it comes to that bs.

Is this a burger thing?
Nowhere was that proprietary shit mentioned at my university at all.

>is it even worth while?
For engineering maybe, but mostly because other people got roped into it. Otherwise not at all.
Almost anything Matlab can do, R or Python does better.

it's common in engineering and math fields.

i had to use it for freshman engineering classes, and at my old job i used to deal with some ancient legacy matlab and the wrappers upon wrappers old devs wrote for it

had it in civil engineering in uropoor but i dropped and reentered CS and never had it even tho we had more math here so far

fpbp

Its unparalleled in the controls field. Depends on what you're doing with it.

I had to use that shit in grad school literally just for a handful of scripts to render output from a Fortran model lel. Any scripting language would have been fine but Matlab and some sort of sloppy pseudo fortran 77 were all my advisor knew.

The language is a little jank, but the modules and base functionality more than make up for it. Like said, if you're doing controls it's great. It handles matrix math really well. If you want to write your own integrators or whatever, be my guest. You could've done it in one line in matlab.
Several python libraries literally copy functionality and syntax directly from the language.

The only people I've seen who dislike matlab don't actually know how to code or are just brainlets in general.

It's proprietary garbage. That alone is more than enough reason to hate it.

Use GNU Octave then, stallman

Britfag here. We did Python at undergrad. Postgrad we were given the option to do MatLab or Python, chose Python.

Attached: BouguereauWA_AfterTheBath.jpg (981x2000, 441K)

>I'm going to bid on this project that needs a robust controller but I'm not going to use Matlab for developing the algorithm and finding my gains because it is proprietary
>I guess I'll write my own LFT toolbox and LMI solver, maybe I'll use CVX for convex optimization
>Oh drat, CVX is proprietary too, I'll write my own convex optimizer
>At least I'm autistic so I will be able to write and debug all of this supporting software before even attempting to solve the problem and still stay within a competitive lead-time and budget
>Oh no, all of the IMUs and actuators that I need are running on proprietary software
>So is the GPS receiver
>And all of the hardware I'm going to run my C code on is proprietary too
>Good thing I can just no bid the project and still have my dignity.
Oh wait, you don't actually write software for a work? You just write scripts to organize your anime and program (crossdress in long socks) as a hobby? Well, at least you felt the need to insert yourself into the conversation.

I am actually employed to write free and open source software, particularly in C related to lower level parts of the Linux userspace.

Leave the big boy talk to the grownups

You can't post naked woman on 4channel...

I like it a lot and it would be my go-to language if it weren't proprietary.
I'm using numpy as a substitute.
Ganoo Octave is there when I have to write a vanilla matlab script but am on my personal machine

It's art breh, I'm tryna spread some pre-Raphelite goodness

Attached: BouguereauWA_BirthOfVenus.jpg (1239x1749, 1.45M)

The one thing that seems to piss me off completely is the fact that indexing starts from 1

stop it dude, you trying to scare away advertisers?

not safe for 4channel

Most scientific/engineering literature is written with matrix indexes starting at 1.

Thanks my boss saw that and I got fired.

I'm sorry brehs, here's something more halal

Attached: BouguereauWA_Innocence.jpg (912x1774, 698K)

I know. But since I usually work in python or C++ and implement vision algorithms, the change always gets to me

nice, this is content that we approve of here on 4channel. L'innocence is basically US in a nutshell.

I promise I'll abstain from posting bobs in the future. God bless

Attached: BouguereauWA_NotTooMuchToCarry.jpg (1248x1853, 533K)

Totally worthwhile. It gives you a way to do exploratory programming around datasets and concepts. There are more computationally efficient libraries for most of what you'll use it for, but you won't have a hope in hell of understanding what's going on under the hood with those. Matlab is very straightforward, so students can comprehend and implement the algorithms bring studied, without dedicating a whole course to just coding that one thing. As an added bonus, it's actually fairly efficient (just not the most), so numbskull students can write simple versions of code that run in reasonable time, even when the simple version would take forever to run if written in c or python.

Honestly women in general make me (and for the most part, 4channel advertisers) uncomfortable. Maybe post some images of your favorite brands like Intel, Apple, or Samsung instead?

how do you implement a formula which does have i=0? In my undergraduate I would just shift indexes to the right but then when calling the function I would need to remember 0=1, 1=2 etc and that led to a lot of i+1, i-1 in my code.
Do you have some smarter way of doing that

How about something more multicultural? Advertisers love all that.

Attached: XuanA_SacredMountain.jpg (1191x1021, 428K)

It's fucked up system and we study lots of theory which is actually of no use. The difference is same as when you actually "listen about sex versus actually doing sex" big difference right?

>Tibet
Advertisers aren't coming near that

looks controversial desu

Brehs, artposting on 4channel is more difficult than I anticipated

Attached: FarquharsonJ_WintersDayIsNearAClose.jpg (2730x1846, 472K)

>I got conned by proprietary software developers
>Therefore there is no way to avoid proprietary software
Unironically this is what they want you to think so you stay vendor locked to matlab.

WTH man? Keep posting pics like that and advertisers are going to think this is a board for kiwis and Scotts to jack off to.

>>
Whitest fucking field I've ever seen, where's the diversity?

And of course, why octave exists.

Open Source implementation of the Matlab language. I think I read it was don't originally so they could run Matlab code on a cluster, without paying through the nose on licensing.

Erm... Alright brehs it turns out my artposting folder is mostly naked white chubsters with some Tibetans thrown in

Attached: RepinI_RevivalOfJainusDaughter.jpg (1424x906, 176K)

t. Dumb CS nigger

I hope you're running your open source software on open source hardware. Also, point me to a robust control toolbox as comprehensive as is in Matlab

Where do you work mate?
I just graduated in electronics > mechatronics/automatics and wondering what I'm going to do

Oh I can’t completely avoid all proprietary software? Guess I’ll just bend over and let all the companies over-charging software fuck me over when they decide they’re not going to give me access to something anymore.

I’m expected to use Matlab at work but everything I personally due is duable in python so why is the computer spending a fuckton on licenses when a free program installed by default works? Plus Matlab’s ide is shit and Matlab itself is bloated as hell. Even running it in a terminal takes like a minute to get it started.

Then there’s running into the you’ve only spent $1000 for this that’s just the base package errors where I can’t use functions that are provided in numpy or scikit or whatever else.

Can python or other open source programs fully replace Matlab? No, but that doesn’t mean everyone should be using it or even that you shouldn’t be trying to avoid it when you can.

I'm not taking CS I'm taking eng I know its probobly useful but it just feels retarded and I hate the syntax and I hate numerical integration and curve fitting, I probobly hate the class more than matlab itself

I do guidance, navigation and control for an aerospace company. It's pretty fun stuff.

If you can do what you need to do in python, use python. I never said you shouldn't. The other user said you should never use Matlab because it is proprietary, I said you should use the correct tool for the job that makes economical sense. Yeah, you could write your own [anything] yourself. but if it exists and fits into an industry workflow, your effort should be solving problems that make you money, not creating ones that will cost you development time.

it sounds like you hate engineering

Seems like that's where most of the work in control systems is
Which one, out of curiosity? i interned at one myself but somehow fucked the HR interview for hiring afterwards

i do
>point me to a robust control toolbox as comprehensive as is in Matlab
no, do your own research, just a guess but octave probably has at least some of what you want

proprietary software is a problem that costs everyone money, the increasing of development time is caused by the proprietary developers, not by me

numpy/scipy are so much easier to use

We use this piece of bloat for automatic control courses, mainly because of Simulink.

I'd rather not say but it's one of the ones you'd think about when you think about space. There's a good deal of really high paying controls work in the subsea oil and gas market. Mid career you can make $150K plus easy but you will have to go offshore. Lots of refinery work too.
>I do
lmao
I've done my research and there isn't one. If a company is going to pay to develop one they sure as shit won't make it open source. For instance, all aerospace companies have their own simulation software that they developed in house that will never see the light of day outside of their office. There's a place for open source and there is a place for proprietary software.

You use matlab for guidance, navigation and control?
This is not the industry standard. I'm pretty sure Matlab doesn't have the proper certifications for civil aircraft

Same
We either used octave or python alternatives

>I'm pretty sure Matlab doesn't have the proper certifications for civil aircraft
Literally no one uses Matlab on the actual hardware. They use it for gain tuning etc. It's certainly used in the industry though. For instance, Draper Labs is all Simulink auto coding.

SEAmonkey here, I learnt MatLab at one of my mechanical engineering classes.

If you're into datascience, learn Python. It's more flexible than R, and has a variety of platforms for web and desktop development as well.

If you're looking for the most versatility possible, the most pleasant learning curve, go with Ruby. Once you have that down, move onto learning Crystal--an excellent statically-typed, compiled language. That with Javascript, SQL and shell scripts will give you everything you need to be a dangerous noob in the data science and software development world.

Crystal:
crystal-lang.org/

Ah cheers mate that's good to know, I have a hard time telling what applications there are other than aerospace and a bit of automotive engineering

That's probably true, we also use matlab to analyze things like flight data. Off the shelf flight systems we get never have any matlab on them.

yes some nice chinese people am I right?

If you want to do something that involves a shit ton of maths and especially matrices it's great.
t. AI and signal processing man

>what is Octave
>what is NumPy
>what is C++ with LAPACKE
>what is FORTRAN with LAPACKE
this must be the most uninformed post about scientific computing I have ever seen.

>there is a place for proprietary software
false
>If a company is going to pay to develop one they sure as shit won't make it open source
most open source is made by paid developers
>simulation software that they developed in house that will never see the light of day outside of their office
this must be why it's behind other technology industries by decades

they get bribed by mathworks to put it on the curriculum

>just a guess
So you have no clue what you're talking about?
Octave and matlab scripts are not cross compatible, that's enough to simply hand wave Octave away.

no matter what i post you're going to make some excuse why it isn't good enough, so do your own damn research
>Octave and matlab scripts are not cross compatible
if your matlab programs don't work in octave then that is considered a bug and you should report it to the octave developers

>do your own research
Burden of proof is on you to support Octave's existence. So far, you haven't shown any evidence as to why Octave is better than Matlab.
>should report it
I don't give two shits about amateur software. Or are they going to pay 5 years worth of Matlab premium to me?

it's used in science a lot

you know science, right, dummy

Ask your professor if you can't use Python or whatever instead of this proprietary bullshit.

God I hate open source niggers so fucking much. Every goddamn time they keep talking bullshit about "muh freedom" for absolutely no fucking reason.
PYTHON IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR MATLAB AND WILL NEVER BE. Just the goddamn Simulink shits on python so hard it's not even funny.

none of those do what simulink does you dumdum
if you are just doing matrix stuff or other similar computing then noshit numpy/fortran are superior

P Y T H O N

No I dont know science I'm an engineer, I just use it

all software including proprietary ones require users to report bugs if they want to get them fixed
>Burden of proof is on you to support Octave's existence. So far, you haven't shown any evidence as to why Octave is better than Matlab.
it provides freedom for the user

if freedom isn't important to you then by all means stick with your cuck software

>tfw making a contour with 100000 lines using my cripple CPU
WHEN WILL IT END? AAHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: tfw.jpg (1024x962, 75K)

>why are they making me learn this shit?
Because it is a really good language, with a great documentation, it's a great tool for many things.

>>what is Octave
Objectively worse.
>>what is NumPy
A numerics library packed upon a language not suitable for numerics. MATLAB having (properly indexed) Matrices as first class data structures is what makes it so great.

>>what is C++ with LAPACKE
>>what is FORTRAN with LAPACKE
Great for speed awful for prototyping, different use case.

>if your matlab programs don't work in octave then that is considered a bug and you should report it to the octave developers
False, this only holds for the language itself, not for the other packages. Octave is a pretty bad mess, the symbolic engine is literally a python library stacked upon it.

>it provides freedom for the user
Which is literally irrelevant to almost anyone.

The choice between a bad "free" and a good proprietary program is obvious to anyone who actually depends on this software.

>I hate the syntax and I hate numerical integration and curve fitting
Then you will hate any alternative even more, because in these regards they are all quite a bit worse.

This

proprietary programs cannot be "good" as their purpose is to remove freedom from the user and keep them in jail
if freedom isn't important to you then by all means stick with your cuck software
then contribute patches to improve octave

>proprietary programs cannot be "good"
They often fulfill their purpose better.
Bumpy and octave are a horrible mess compared to MATLAB.

>then contribute patches to improve octave
Why would I? If an alternative exists which fulfills my needs, why would I waste time polishing turds?

Je-Zus-H-Christ. Is that bearded person groping that fainted persons hand without written consent?!
#MeToo much?!

I don't know about R, but Matlab is crazy faster then Python, even when using stuff like numpy the correct way.

if you desire to live in freedom then a proprietary program cannot ever fulfill your needs
>Bumpy and octave are a horrible mess compared to MATLAB.
t. shill

>if you desire to live in freedom then a proprietary program cannot ever fulfill your needs
Yes, but freedom is highly overrated.

>t. shill
You sound like a Jow Forumstard, but no, if there were an alternative to MATLAB which would be close in features, usability and documentation I would use it.

>Matlab is crazy faster then Python
In all fairness not a high bar. Neither Python nor MATLAB aim for speed, at least outside of the precompiled routines.
If you want speed you should use C.

If you want to see what I mean write a matrix multiplication in MATLAB or python and compare that to the inbuilt routines.

t. dropout

Python is better in every way.

>Python is better in every way.
No, it isn't.
You immediately see that it was never made with Matrices as a first class data structure in mind.
MATLAB as a language for matrix manipulation is far superior to python, in every way possible.

Just look at what you need to do to multiply matrices in bumpy and in MATLAB...

CS cucks on Jow Forums trying to argue against useful tools like Matlab just makes my day.
Don't you guys have to fix your ganoo/lelnux disto from not booting up? The big boys are trying to do real work here.

please fuck my wife

you need to send your boss some art renewal center essays

Is that a fucking bulge?

uWu

Because it's shilled to the uni, also it has momentum.

Indices are elements of the index set "I". "I" can be anything, {1..n}, {0..n-1}, {x,y,z}, {up, down} (think spins). Starting indices with 1 is just a convention (a shitty one at that) and doesn't actually matter anywhere.