I fucked up

Putting together a pc from spare parts to run FreeNAS and while screwing the CPU fan on I slipped and drove a screwdriver straight through the top of a capacitor (I assume). I wanna have this thing running tonight so what are the chances that this won't burn my house down let alone boot properly? I know, I'm retarded.

Attached: 20181203_184206.jpg (3024x3024, 2.89M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKT0J222MPD?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22e0BBN1kF1oi8MJVYGXpBQ0=
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you fucked up OP

Today I booted a pc with a exploded capacitor, don't be a pussy

fuck knows what that specific cap does, but if you don't plug it in and just replace the cap it'll probably be fine.

just replace the cap and you'll be fine

just puts some epoxy over it it will be fine the juice hasn't leaked out yet

That's the thing though I want this bitch running ASAP and I have no spare caps.
Leaning towards this, gonna put some loctite on it. Wish me luck lads I'll report back if I survive.

as if someone retarded enough to ask he he can turn on a computer with a busted open cap can replace it.

It's fine, some people do this to increase the internal pressure of capacitors so they run hotter, producing more DC microamps.

you just shorted that cap you brainlet, and now you are sealing it with loctite, better remove it completely then

At least turn it on and post results, for science. Then replace the cap.

Hmm. I don't know shit about electronics but that does seem more safe.

But on the other hand I am gonna try to boot first if only to see what will happen.

it's almost certainly shorted
at worst you could fry something expensive
just wait and switch the cap out

well then listen to anons that know something, cap is shorted, replace it or remove it, its fucked and you are going to fuck up the motherboard or PSU if you power on

you fucked up op

OP you fucking moron, just change it.

Yanked it out with pliers. Looking good so far....

Attached: 20181203_191419.jpg (3024x3024, 2.79M)

Ya fucked up

what's the cap say on it? might narrow down how fucked you are

It also says 02IRT

Attached: 20181203_192941.jpg (3024x3024, 1.01M)

Still looking good. Next step is to plug in my two 4TB generic chink drives and hope they survive. Proceeding with caution. I'll let you know if it goes smoothly.

Christ, and I thought I was a shithead.

i'm basically guessing here but i think it's a smoothing/mains noise filter cap on the power supply for the cpu, 3.3v rail. which means you can boot without it but your cpu will be more vulnerable to frying during power surges i guess.
regardless replace it asap

I have 7 blown on a P5K-VM and still works like a charm, bizarrely my Pentium 3 board is still like new and I still use it as server

Don't you have some electronic junk that you can cannibalize from? I have bags filled of these and many other parts

get this

mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKT0J222MPD?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22e0BBN1kF1oi8MJVYGXpBQ0=

The CPU is a Phenom X4 so I'm not too worried about it. The only thing I care about in this system are the 4TB hard drives.

I've knocked shit off boards before and they still worked, try it and see.

The closest I have on hand is 1500uf this one says 2200uf so I wonder if it's better to have a missing one or one with incorrect specs.

Attached: 20181203_193157.jpg (3024x3024, 2.71M)

this most certainly won't damage the hard drives
and like what said, its probably just a smoothing cap, so its probably not 100% needed as long as your power is good

i say fuck it and boot it up

i don't think it will affect your hard drives in any way. if you do replace it get a cap with a higher ripple current rating than the other user suggested

probably a bad idea, these kinds of caps are chosen for filtering specific ranges of frequencies (i think)
don't worry about the voltage as long as it's higher though, that's just a maximum and they keep it as low as possible for cheapness

Don't use a 1500uf, get a 2000uf to 2400uf
tolerance is 10%, same for voltage but of course if you try without and it works then go for it

electrolytics have large tolerances so 1500 is just fine in a pinch

Are you sure? I've always respected the 10% difference. What would be the worst case scenario? Blows again? Further damage?

well better to have 1500 than 0, if it works with 0 then it will work just fine for the remaining useful lifetime of the board with 1500
it is no big deal, its just LF decoupling cap, small ceramics nex to chips are more important and critical

1500 is good enough. You can even put two in parallel to be sure

OP here. The system was seemingly running fine until I realized that the cpu was reaching 55C--just in BIOS. Yes, the heat sink is seated properly. Looks like I'm just gonna have to replace it. Thanks for your help, nerds.

CPUs get hot in BIOS

55c though with fan at max rpm?

This.

My Phenom II X4 got hotter in BIOS than in OS unless heavy gaymen. I never figured out why. I guess it has something to do with not throttling.

I was high once at work at chipped an IC off of an SSD with a screwdriver as I was putting it back in. nothing happened, don't be a bitch OP

Well dang, I guess I'll finish setting up the server tomorrow and see how it goes then.