/msg/ - Media Server General

What's your setup?
Plex? Emby? Emby+Kodi? Universal Media Server? Something else?
Do you use a NAS or stream from your PC? What NAS? Do you run RAID?
Do you use a torrent provider or a streaming service? If so, what?
What devices in your household/workspace do you have connected? What router do you use?

Attached: mediaserver guy.jpg (3200x1800, 336K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Poweredge-R720XD-2-X-EIGHT-CORE-2-60GHZ-E5-2650-V2-32GB-6-x-TRAYS-H710/352532714501?hash=item5214965405:g:J~4AAOSwH2Vb9u~e:rk:9:pf:0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

kodi + elementum

american losers can't p2p without going to jail

plex
deluge

How do I get plex to recognize chinese cartoon filenames correctly?
I came up with this disgusting regex to rename files but there's gotta be a better way.

Why doesn't Plex index videos properly?

With photos, if you add a folder with folders inside it, you can browse each folder from within Plex.

With videos, if you ass a folder with folders inside, the folders don't show up in Plex, just every single video in one clump.

Use absolute series scanner and hama tv metadata agent for your animu.

Are you sure?

i installed kodi on amazon fire
how do i watch pirated shit?

Okay, I looked into this.
Apparently it wants me to name the files in a certain way?
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid here.
Currently I'm using a regex to parse out parts of the original filenames, and then rename them into a more plex-friendly format.
tv_file_name_regex = re.compile('^(?:\[.+?\])*([^_\[\]]+?)[ \-_]*?((?:[Ss][0-9]+|[0-9]x))?((?:SP[0-9]*)|[Eex]?[0-9]+(?:.[0-9]+)?(?!(?:[p\]0-9])| - [0-9]|st|nd|rd|th)).*\.(mkv|avi)$')

Finally, this thread.

I'm thinking about buying this

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Poweredge-R720XD-2-X-EIGHT-CORE-2-60GHZ-E5-2650-V2-32GB-6-x-TRAYS-H710/352532714501?hash=item5214965405:g:J~4AAOSwH2Vb9u~e:rk:9:pf:0

I'm going to run some VMs, nextcloud hosting, media streaming, maybe some server hosting if I want.

Dual E5-2650 V2 is pretty good I think and should be more than enough for what I need. Can anyone chime in?

This server should handle all of that easily right? This server at this price seems like a steal to me.

Just what I was looking for, Just bought 2.

What is a server backplane? Is it like a wall of slots for hotswappable drives?

As far as I know, yes.

Yes
They might support fancy features like SAS multipath and indicator LEDs.

what's it like being rich?

Not rich but $1400 isnt a lot either.

I have run out of PCI-E slots in my R510 and this is what I would get to upgrade, seems like a good price I'm waiting for them to get closer to 500 tho. I got the R510 a few years ago for $329 and free shipping.

I am running ESXI 6.7 with the controller for the drive bays passed to a FreeNAS VM and a pci-e sata card with an SSD for the host datastore
then I have Plex on an ubuntu server VM, Windows 2016 VM for windows stuff, pfSense VM for my router, Pi-Hole VM for my DNS, Zoneminder VM for POE security cameras.

I think the R720 will handle anything you will throw at it

look for a good price for a Cisco WS-C3560G or Cisco WS-3750G switch

>Zoneminder VM for POE security cameras.
I'm going to do something like this

My Pfsense router will more than likely be a Dell Poweredge R210 II

>I think the R720 will handle anything you will throw at it
Thanks dude, I am probably going to pick it up at some point. I have to lower my card a bit first.

If you put ESXI on the R210 you can migrate your VMs around, it is annoying when I need to turn the R510 off and the whole network goes down so I migrate the pfSense router and pi-hole vms to R410, but 99% of the time only the cisco switch and R510 are on.

Emby + kodi, rtorrent w rutorrent frontend (behind pia vpn), sonarr, radarr, ombi (for gf so she doesnt bother me), and a bunch of other shit.

Everything docker containers running on debian hyperv vm with 16tb physical drives (mounted in vm) since i need computer on 24/7 anyways due to homelab and other vms. Takes me 1 min to ser up if fails due to config backups and selfwritten install + config scripts.

Use nvidia shield + kodi as frontend.

Used to use plex, sickrage, deluge and couchpotato, but current system is way better. I have both plex and emby lifetime premiums, but prefer emby.

What do you use your PCI-E slots to do? Does your ever CPU bottleneck you?

I see sometimes people put GPUs in there servers, for what reason why you would need a GPU in your home server?

all servers have gpu retard

I use a Synology DS216J for media storage that also runs Sonarr, Radarr, and NZBGet that grabs stuff from UseNet (NZBGeek for the indexer and NewsHosting for the files).

I use an OG Shield TV for all streaming apps (Netflix, HBO Go and Amazon Prime) and have it running Plex Media Server and Kodi. I use Plex for streaming to devices and so I can use the Plex extension for Kodi. I use Kodi because on the Shield TV version of Plex you can't install plugins and I like to have what I watched synced up to Trakt and Kodi has an extension for that.

I'm using an Asus RT-N66U router that runs ethernet to my desktop, PS4, Xbone, and Shield. I've also got two laptops on the network and two phones.

>Synology DS216J
Can it transcode 1080p?

I use the Shield to handle all my transcoding. The DS216J can run Plex Media Server but I don't think it could handle transcoding just direct play.

Why is encoding/transcoding such a big deal in this scene? Why not like, just transcode everything on your PC, then upload the videos to the NAS/Plex server?

Plex has an optimize content feature that does basically that. Most people prefer transcoding because you can have one high quality copy that gets handled on the fly for devices that can't handle it thus saving space. It doesn't take that much additional horse power to be able to handle one or two streams and most HTPCs can handle it fine. When you try to run it off of a NAS is when you often run into hardware bottlenecks.