Why doesn't linux have better daw support?

Attached: 559953-compressor.png (980x600, 302K)

Ardour
Although it's better suited for live recording

the current state of lincucks volume mixer

Attached: Alsamixer[1].png (562x338, 23K)

Bitwig supports linux officially, it's a good DAW for electronic synth stuff. Renoise also officially supports linux, if you like trackers.

If you actually want floss stuff, ardour and lmms are there, though I haven't tried either extensively.

Why don't DAWs have better Linux support?

> Why doesn't linux have better support?

Because Linux isn't a commercial OS and it only has the 1% of the pc market.

Attached: Ds52OAJVAAEaOav.jpg (540x960, 79K)

This
I don't understand how or why Jow Forums doesn't get that

windows has linux and linux software mostly supports macos so linux has 99.9% of the PC market and windows/macos are only like 98%

> not using the native port of renoise
> not overcoming the tracker learning curve

what a bunch of filthy plebs you arent even trying

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-04 15-23-50.png (1440x900, 335K)

>Because Linux isn't a commercial OS
Wrong.

>and it only has the 1% of the pc market.
It might have 1% of desktop computing devices, which is becoming irrelevant for normies.

In fact it supports a lot of commercial software, just none of the commercial software for some fringe use cases such as artists or musicians, where like 0.01% even have heard of Linux.

Well...Jow Forums doesn't get it because 90%+ of lintards on Jow Forums constantly implies/says the opposite every.single.day except in rare threads like this.

(correction)
* including threads like this *

ardour, lmms, renoise, bitwig, mixbus, reaper

because wine

>Wrong.
No, he's right. Linux is just a kernel.

But it is plainly and obviously false. Linux is extremely wildly used by professionals and non professionals.

It has support for an enormous amount of commerical software, Hipster music or art creation tools just don't belong to that, I would guess because in that area almost nobody has even heard of Linux.

>Well...Jow Forums doesn't get it because 90%+ of lintards on Jow Forums constantly implies/says the opposite every.single.da
Because it is true and everybody who has any clue knows that...

> Wrong
I mean commercial as in developed and marketed as a end user product, that's not the case of Linux.

> In fact it supports a lot of commercial software
Yep like Lightworks or Draftsight and many others but just because they're written in languages and APIs with great portability like C, Java or Qt therefore it's cheap to make a Linux version just by tweaking a couple of lines of code.

Attached: rp7kisgX5us0IIRaG6i0SrVQ4lFhoNapJIMgTgOLZn0LKtI4LZWI0ckqyQPr_CvJjzr4g7EnNpfjYa37Ozyb0q-Uo5qpY95QeH0= (1350x1749, 526K)

>I mean commercial as in developed and marketed as a end user product, that's not the case of Linux.
But there are billions of such devices, meant for end users running Linux, they are literally everywhere...

>Yep like Lightworks or Draftsight
And besides that almost everything that has to do with IT, scientific computing and such...

Android is an operating system that uses a modified version of the Linux kernel therefore Android != GNU/Linux

Attached: 3--모모1-2.jpg (2382x1799, 1.24M)

If you think OP was talking about Android, then his DAW question might have actually been valid.

Because it doesn't have hardware support. Being able to run your DAW in Wine means jack if I can't use my midi controller.

Why does WineASIO have to be so shitty

Attached: 1542457524638.jpg (500x328, 83K)

But nobody mentioned GNU...

>Android is an operating system that uses a modified version of the Linux kernel
Exactly. It is Linux, when it comes to the kernel.

>Android != GNU/Linux
Yes, obviously, but so what?

I am guessing that the amount of people who want to do music production on an Android device is pretty small, that is why companies don't really bother with it.

Renoise
Bitwig
Audacity
Reaper
Milkytracker
AdLib Tracker
Deflemask

JACK is literal wizard tier on supported hardware with a realtime kernel, if only DAWs supported it better.

Lol. Real musicians use milkytracker.

> But there are billions of such devices, meant for end users running Linux, they are literally everywhere...
You were referring to Android, you cannot say Android is Linux.

Attached: DtillF9UcAA_a37.jpg (1332x2000, 441K)

>you cannot say Android is Linux.
What?
Why not,? It is LITERALLY running on Linux. What else could be "Linux" then an Operating system running the Linux Kernel??

Android is like a professional version of Linux

>you cannot say Android is Linux.
It is, though. Android uses Linux. A much higher percentage of Android is Linux compared to GNU/Linux.

Open a terminal on Android and run uname.

See

Attached: Ds52OAKV4AE9a44.jpg (960x960, 80K)

That is a retarded argument and I already told you that...
What do you mean by "Linux"? It seems obvious to me that "Linux" refers to any operating system running on the LINUX kernel, GNU\Linux is a subset of these, which are systems utilizing the Linux Kernel anderen Themen GNU utilities, but as there are distributions of the Linux Kernel, like void, WITHOUT these GNU utilities referring to "Linux" as an operating system which utilizes Linux AND the GNU utilities is nothing but retarded.

Define "Linux".

PulseAudio and hatred of OSS

Well OP is obviously referring to GNU/Linux and distributions of it like Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, etc. Android is a mobile OS made by Google that uses a modified versions of the Linux kernel. Both are systems with different architectures, APIs and utilities therefore different OSes of the same family. Try to execute an Android app on Linux, oh no you won't be able to, try otherwise and it will be the same.

Attached: sMBnuqU.jpg (4380x6570, 1.54M)

I know some people who use windows only DAWs on even meme distros without problems but it takes effort to set up. Other than that it's lack of interest. Most musicians aren't tech savvy so they don't really care about Linux support, so Linux gets the shitty end of the stick when it comes to audio.
Just don't use Linux if you wanna make music. It's that simple.

REAPER is a professional DAW and it's available for Linux

Why don't you answer my question? Define "Linux".

>Well OP is obviously referring to GNU/Linux
???
If he means exclusively Operating systems utilizing the Linux Kernel AND the GNU utilities he should say so.

>Both are systems with different architectures, APIs and utilities
Which also true for "Linux" Debian is available for multiple architectures, Void has multiple different Utilities.

>therefore different OSes
Yes, sure. Just like Debian and Void are both Linux, but different Operating systems Android and Debian are both Linux, just different Operating systems.

>Try to execute an Android app on Linux, oh no you won't be able to, try otherwise and it will be the same.
Try to execute a x86 binary on the arm Debian distribution, oh no you won't be able to, try otherwise and it will be the same.

I guess now Debian isn't "Linux" anymore...

you can use it tho

oh look, it's the same bait again. are you gonna keep posting this as long as it gets replies?

>It seems obvious to me that "Linux" refers to any operating system running on the LINUX kernel
No, Linux just refers to Linux itself, which is a kernel.
>like void, WITHOUT these GNU utilities
No, Void uses GNU. I think you are confusing it with Alpine.

>Audacity
>DAW

Attached: funnyface.jpg (608x431, 29K)

>No, Linux just refers to Linux itself, which is a kernel.
Pretty much irrelevant, a word can refer to different things in different contexts.

>No, Void uses GNU.
I might have meant Alpine, but Void has an officially supported version with musl instead of glibc.

it is literally an ancient deprecated version of linux google imposed on the community to backport critical security updates for cause the new ones are licenced gpl3
desu google just hates linux and will end up replacing it with fuschsia

>people making electronic music have never heard of linux
have you actually met electronic producers outside of big room house? They are exactly the type to know and use linux

>look at me! I found one of command line software on linux!
>HAHA! I sure hope it doesn't have GUI equivalent!
haha xD

>have you actually met electronic producers
No, I think I made clear that I was just guessing.

>a word can refer to different things in different contexts.
Yes, but that doesn't mean Linux is anything more than a kernel.

>but that doesn't mean Linux is anything more than a kernel.
But it means that if you talk about "Linux" as an operating system you can mean an operating system using Linux.

stop pretending to be retarded. Give me an example, where big corporation or someone not related to Stallman calls it GNU/Linux
world knows it as linux and there's nothing you can do about it. Especially, when your voice about GNU/Linux is only heard on family friendly anime website

This.
Although trackers are easy to learn and renoise flow is great when it comes to making breakcore, glitch or good old EDM.

>sudo apt -y install pavucontrol
thank me later

Just tried out Ardour, it's pretty cool. LMMS seems at least usable.

Reaper is the best daw on any os imo
the problem is the lack of high quality VST plugins on Linux
wine based bridges exist, but top of the line plugins typically have complicated licensing that works with dongles and license servers,
and people report that they don't work on Linux, so the cracks won't work either which is the real problem

reaper is actually good
but i use it on wangblows alongside cubase and fl studio

>linux
>audio
pick one

Attached: linux-audio-map.png (640x399, 236K)

In general, I agree. It's not too bad if you use Ubuntu Studio though. Most of the pain in the ass stuff has been done for you.
Like said, the real problem is the very limited selection of VSTs. There are only a few exceptions, like Pianoteq.

Yeah so plenty of things for your bedroom producer but nothing for big scoring sessions or movie sound editing/design, you know things you actually get paid for.

>pavucontrol
great name

Attached: 1537639044136.jpg (409x437, 23K)

>JACK is literal wizard tier on supported hardware with a realtime kernel, if only DAWs supported it better.

It ain't no CoreAudio.

Why tho, if you are a professional just get an os that support the industry standard such as pro tools cubase and logic and be done with it. I don't have time to spend on memes like loonix just to be different, i actually have work to do.

PulseAudio Volume Unit CONTROL

The Linux is huge in 3d animation and compositing. There are lots of Linux savvy artists out there.

ok, I'm not playing your game anymore. bye.

Attached: DtlLPNWW0AExKGw.jpg (1332x2000, 345K)

>ok, I'm not playing your game anymore.
Yes, asking for a definition is a "language game"...

linux is not commercial because it's free. who cares if it's free? it's just an os(kernel).

I've been wanting to get into making music on my laptop (and plugging in my MIDI), but everything has looked so ugly and annoying so far it makes me just want to buy hardware like a microbrute instead.

That being said, trackers seemed the coolest, thanks for posting this. Do you use anything else?

>the problem is the lack of high quality VST plugins on Linux
This. I wouldn't have a problem using Bitwig on Linux. Bitwig is a powerful DAW but then again it's useless if I can't use Melodyne, LinearPhase EQ/Compression, Omnisphere, Kontakt etc..

why does making music with computers have to the most uncomfy thing I've ever seen? where is the "linux music workflow for programmers"?

Attached: surfnigger.png (948x273, 62K)

because with all the money I saved not having to buy a windows license or DAW I was able to afford a nice 8 track reel 2 reel.