/fmwt/ - Friendly Microsoft+Windows thread

Welcome to /fmwt/ - Friendly Microsoft+Windows thread

If you would like to try out Microsoft Windows you can do one of the following:
0) Buy a Computer with Windows 10 preinstalled.
1) Use the official ISO image from MS. ( microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 )
2) Dual boot Microsoft Windows 10 along with GNU/Linux distribution or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Microsoft Windows.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine like Bing with your question.
*Windows has active forums and an official support.

C:\Windows\System32> help %command%

Don't know what to look for?
$ dir %windir%\\System32

Check the Wikis:
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/

Jow Forums's Wiki on Windows:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:Windows

>Which Windows version should I choose?
Windows 10
>What are some cool programs?
microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/windows
>Where can I learn more about Windows?
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/learn/windows-internals

Attached: meet_the_new_windows.jpg (768x512, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/microsoft-design/redesigning-the-office-app-icons-to-embrace-a-new-world-of-work-91d72608ee8f
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>We updated your computer
>All your documents are exactly where you left them

Attached: 1540655590694.jpg (267x297, 13K)

>electron is going to get better thanks to microsoft ditching edgehtml
>we're getting a re-architecture soon
>windows phones are coming back
>office team keeps releasing good shit
2019 is going to be great bros enjoy the holidays off work

How 2 get rid of da botnet

>windows phones are coming back
Where's the source on this? Wikipedia says they're going to stop all security updates and bug fixes starting in December 2019.

>>boot up Windows
>>can hear my fan roaring
>>open up codeblocks
MB consumption

comfy af desu

You did it to yourself, degenerate.
t. Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 user since 2003 who never ever had any problem

What do you guys think of the new icons? medium.com/microsoft-design/redesigning-the-office-app-icons-to-embrace-a-new-world-of-work-91d72608ee8f

Ltsc is basically feature frozen since release and only gets critical security fixes, yes? Does that mean it still has the native zip missing file problem?

Not windows phones as we knew them, but actual hybrids, all while getting rid of the Surface Book.

anyone got a pic of the certified microsoft technician hanging out in the trees in his underwear?

>pic of the certified microsoft technician hanging out in the trees in his underwear
You confound it with a normal Gentoo user

Wow, this is the weirdest thread I've ever seen. It looks just like a Linux thread. I feel like I'm through the looking glass here.

They're... fine. But I liked the old ones better. I just wish all the designs would go back to Windows 7. Aero was so much better than 10 and I hate how half of 10 is new design and half is old. Not to mention that the stuff that has the new design language looks fucking awful and has no indication of different spaces or anything.

Attached: deliveryisoptimal.png (4712x2072, 450K)

Attached: deliveryisoptimal2.png (3564x1988, 331K)

Server 2019 vs Enterprise LTSC? I'm already on Enterprise LTSB 2016. Main activities: anime, imageboards, photoshop

Attached: 1465156139243.png (481x481, 184K)

Keep your LTSB and wait until LTSC 2019 is released. The spring update next year should fix the problem in this fall update. Your power to delete the garbage bloated apps will also be increased at the next iteration.

with this activities you should kill yourself

>Aero was so much better than 10 and I hate how half of 10 is new design and half is old.
Are you even using the latest version of Windows? ALL win7 desktops looks worse than my win10

Yes I'm using the latest version. With Windows automatic updates it's hard to be that far behind especially since they had to stop the October update twice because they fucked up so badly.

This screenshot is of the control panel and the settings menu. These are totally dissimilar design languages and looks not to mention the fact that it's stupid to keep things separated in two different areas like this.

Attached: inconsistency.png (2325x642, 79K)

They unfortunately move the settings from the old control panel very slowly. You supposedly can change the IPv4/6 in modern control panel at 19H1.
Then again, I never open the setting from the old control panel.

Attached: ApplicationFrameHost_2018-12-04_14-46-30.png (539x787, 25K)

Is there a package manager for Windows?

Chocolatey

That's just one part of the issues with Windows 10. The start menu is ugly and loaded up with worthless squares of information. I can hide them but it makes the start menu extremely thin and there's no good separation of menu items. It opens directly to all items instead of my most frequently used (admittedly not a big deal for me since I hit start and then type what I want).

Functionality has been stripped from the network icon in the bottom right.

Dark mode isn't available everywhere.

In File Explorer when you navigate to the desktop it doesn't show the recycling bin for some reason.

This is just what I remember off the top of my head.

>The start menu is ugly and loaded up with worthless squares of information.
I agree.
>I can hide them but it makes the start menu extremely thin and there's no good separation of menu items. It opens directly to all items instead of my most frequently used (admittedly not a big deal for me since I hit start and then type what I want).
You can tick the "show most used apps" though, still, it doesn't really bother me too since I usually just win+s then type what program I want.
>Functionality has been stripped from the network icon in the bottom right.
If my prediction is correct, the next iteration will fix it but then again I can't expect something good from Microshit.
>Dark mode isn't available everywhere.
Their argument is they don't want to paint something that will be scrapped later. But yeah, I agree with you.
>In File Explorer when you navigate to the desktop it doesn't show the recycling bin for some reason.
This bothers me as well.

Are you not the same user that said Win10 looks way better than Win7? Cause none of these things (except for lack of a dark theme) were issues in 7.

Yeah, I'm not him.

Ah, that makes sense then. A fellow non-idiot.

Windows 8.1 Embedddd Industry Enterprise for maximum comfort

Why does windows font rendering suck so bad lmao

Attached: 1543842233374.png (1940x942, 314K)