Australia Encryption Bill

abc.net.au/news/2018-12-04/encryption-whatsapp-signal-messages-explained/10580208

Australia's Government wants to pass world-first laws that would force technology companies to help police access encrypted messages.

afr.com/news/scott-morrison-compromising-national-security-on-encryption-penny-wong-20181201-h18lwz

Labor has accused Scott Morrison of compromising Australia's national security by engaging in a fight over encryption powers, slamming the government for reneging on a possible compromise.

itnews.com.au/news/govt-piles-on-encryption-pressure-in-final-week-516411

The government’s encryption-busting bill will be debated in parliament on Wednesday, as the rush to ram it through before the end of the year reached new heights on Monday.

Does anyone technically or legally minded have a view on Australia's proposed encryption busting bill? Also will these laws actually be able to intercept whatsapp/signal messages?

Attached: duttonencryption.gif (1024x683, 782K)

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/news/malcolm-turnbull-prime-minister-laws-of-mathematics-do-not-apply-australia-encryption-l-a7842946.html
theverge.com/2018/9/3/17815196/five-eyes-encryption-backdoors-us-uk-australia-nz-canada
youtube.com/watch?v=9sO2qdTci-s
baka.com.au/politics/federal/police-spies-gain-powers-to-access-encrypted-messages-after-political-deal-struck-20181204-p50k74.html
theregister.co.uk/2018/11/29/gchq_encrypted_apps/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

wew if this passes im sure the rest of the world won't be far behind

These retards are just going to have to ban encryption for civilian use. Math doesn't just give you a spare key to the back of the house because you ask for it. If a third party can reliably undo encryption with a master key, then it's worthless. All it takes is that key leaking once and everything's fucked. Might as well never encrypt in the first place if it's just gonna be a placebo word scrable.

Attached: 1527554408726.gif (250x194, 47K)

In the apps current forms, no the bill won't allow them to intercept messages. However the bills could result in companies changing their encryption techniques to comply or face consequences.
As far as I know, Signal has no company presence in Australia so they could ignore it. Being open source, too, means that any backdoor implementation would be easy to find if they implemented one. But Australian authorities could potentially prosecute those behind Signal if they enter the country or even users if the app doesn't conform to the law.

The answer I was after, thankyou user

Yeah yeah whatever I'm sure you eggheads will figure it out. If modern technology can instantly connect me with Asian (male) girls at the drop of an Alexa command, it can yield secure encryption with government backdoors.

Attached: sorensonarne1108201601-cx*750xx3280-4380-0-113.jpg (750x1001, 72K)

If some faggot said this to me I'd laugh in his face and leave the room. Have fun squeezing blood from a pebble, cunt.

Attached: 1543085233112.png (960x960, 152K)

literally all you need is a way to factor large numbers.
maybe someone knows how.

>If modern technology can instantly connect me with Asian (male) girls at the drop of an Alexa command, it can yield secure encryption with government backdoors.
So that's a no?

Boomer genocide when?

I don't get why these major companies don't flat out refuse to operate in Australia if this happens. Normies aren't going to understand or even notice this until facebook informs them via a boycott threat

??
Isn't backdoorless encryption already banned in England? This sort of stuff seems like the status quo anywhere technologically-developed enough to give a shit && not Murica.

I might be wrong but as I understand it, they passed legislation to enforce that but never actually used it yet because it would force a battle they are afraid of losing.

Krikey! better spend your dollarydoos on moving to xmas island and starting a new evil-government-free society.
Seek professional help sicko.

> Australia's Government wants to pass world-first laws
> world-first
> what is russia

Don't forget about discrete logarithms. But yeah, for prime factorization I find it hard to believe that secret developments in sieve methods haven't busted it wide open yet.

We need to speed encryption technology up quick, every person should be able to deploy their own unique encryption no company can be made to crack

Gee I sure wonder who could be behind this...

Attached: Gee I wonder.jpg (1440x1080, 27K)

Jews are an American thing, they barely exist in Australia

>t. Kike

>Australia to outlaw mathematics
Haven't we been here before?

independent.co.uk/news/malcolm-turnbull-prime-minister-laws-of-mathematics-do-not-apply-australia-encryption-l-a7842946.html

I'm an atheist, dude
Go back to your container

Attached: Screenshot_20181010170443.png (297x296, 110K)

>I'm and atheist dude
How does that disprove his statement you retard quit telling people to go to Jow Forums if you don't even know what the fuck you're talking about

>they barely exist in Australia
They're everywhere you blind cunt.
-Ausfag

Russia doesn't exist it's just a psyop created by the government to pass tenuous surveillance laws.

get out of your bubble

The LNP is predominantly Catholic (or whatever) you uneducated retard
Blaming some minority for random and pointless shit is a classic Jow Forums schtick, it's a pretty fucking safe assumption

>If you don't even know what the fuck you're talking about
I'm literally an Australian working in the ICT sector. This shit affects me which is why I've been following it

>Everywhere
Less than 0.4% of the population
E V E R Y W H E R E

The Chinese state is a far larger threat to our national security than a bunch of dudes with weird hats

>bunch of dudes with weird hats
QED you're a blind cunt

>banning maths

>Continues to provide nothing to the discussion
Hmmm

Attached: 1528684243810.jpg (500x341, 35K)

fine
>Australia's Government wants to pass world-first laws that would force technology companies to help police access encrypted messages.
Wrong. Russia has banned telegram for this

Wont go anywhere. Main issues will be that it pushes startups and security companies out of australia. Australia doesnt have the balls or punching weight to get facebook or any other messaging service worth a dam to give up their customers privacy for anything.

What could be said about it other than if companies don't comply, they could face charges, but big companies that aren't based in Ausland wouldn't care, also those fuckwits don't understand encryption for shit, enjoy the wild ride.

Attached: 1540434273053.jpg (500x388, 25K)

I thought Australia was a pretty nice country?

the politicians are pretty dumb and dont understand technology.

It's not likely that it will pass, but it's not quite unlikely either
The biggest problem is how fucking vague the bill is, just like how dumb the 'metadata' retention laws were
The purposes of tracking terrorism? Because there's absolutely no way that someone would purposely skew the definition of terrorism to use the new laws in their political favour

It's usually a pretty nice place, but the federal government has been retarded for a while now though

We're just another US-led corporation-run police state with a veneer of "muh democracy".

>democracy
Except we change leaders every 18 months. At this point I think an arm wrestling competition to determine who is Prime Minister would be more stable and productive.

>It's not likely that it will pass

libtards and gaybor have already agreed to pass it. it will pass.

Eh not really.the internet is generally shit and in the big cities where it's decent the ping to the first world is unusable, meaning you can only use Australian services since high tier Asians want nothing to do with you.

It's not being colonized by the third world like EU and US, so crime isn't too bad but everything is expensive as fuck. And it's hot and full of horrible creatures.

>aborigen island
>encryption

Attached: 1543913285409.gif (530x298, 970K)

Labor seemingly wants to revise it before voting to pass it

You don't know what expensive is. Right now where I live a gtx 1060 6gb is 500 bucks and up to 750.
And judging by the Backyard Tech channel at least in Australia it's possible to get comfy used Unix workstations and servers.
The part about the flesh eating insects sounds scary as fuck though, I'll give you that.

Dutch government and house did the opposite, reaffirming the need for strong encryption without compromise.

seems like the obvious outcome. GDPR fucked the world sideways because the EU is such a huge market that they can get away with it. When tiny country of 25mil on the bottom of the planet who constitutes 0.05% of their revenue does it then all international players will just tell us to fuck right off and pull out

the thing i hate about bills like this is even if the opposition is staunchly against it (and labor doesn't really care, they just do whatever they can to give the coalition a hard time) it is there forever. it's not the kinda thing anyone will make a point of repealing at the next election because it doesnt involve loving/hating immigrants or influences property prices

It's great if you like deadly animals, Asian invasion, political instability, abos, sun hot enough to melt metal, emu's and last but not least slow internet.

These laws will mean that Australia will an hero itself in terms of technology. Tech giants will either refuse to adopt, stop selling or sell just gimped products for aussies because the market isn't big enough as well as worth less thanks to the as$.

>being this defensive
Hello schlomo goldberg shekelstein

The treasurer is literally a Jew, thats as kiked as you can get.

>live in caulfield and routinely hit up chapel st.
>see this post
lmao
i literally today got a christmas letter from some local jewish mp wishing me a happy hanukkah

it is but it does have a few problems which i'll explain to you in my next post. just give it about 3 hours to upload. see you then.

Yes but most firms have no office here so it does jack shit, also VPN use I'd say is pretty high in the UK

>routinely hit up chapel st.
it's only cooked units between 11pm and 7am. why would anyone ever be on chapel street outside of those times?

I bet the world's banking system is thrilled about this. Do these people even have functioning brains?

>oy vey, I can't sell all the data I hoard as easily now
>t. burger kike

The UK, USA, Canada and Australia (basically all English speaking countries) have banded together to create laws where encryption technologies have to have government agency backdoors.
theverge.com/2018/9/3/17815196/five-eyes-encryption-backdoors-us-uk-australia-nz-canada

You absolute fucking idiot.

Australians try to give the impression of being laid back, but Australian politics is actually fairly authoritarian.

Do abbos even know how to use a computer?

>government passes encryption backdoor bill
>Terrorists just move onto open source encryption platform that will never have backdoors
>But now every mainstream platform has backdoors for malicious actors to exploit.

Why would they do this? It can't be too fight terrorism or organized crime. The only thing it would really help is probably surveillance programs which want to access trivial private data such as nudes from normies.

Good luck

youtube.com/watch?v=9sO2qdTci-s

>>But now every mainstream platform has backdoors for malicious actors to exploit.
All mainstream platforms are already backdoored at the processor level.

Das ist nicht the same thing. Verified algos and math have no backdoors, so the only way to get around that is making those illegal to use. The U.S. has not done this while other nations are.

People are problem-solvers with tunnel-vision. Mods know their jobs would be much easier if criminals could not hide behind encryption. They don't know or care about the downsides; they've just identified an outcome that would greatly solve their problems. Admins, meanwhile, can more easily identify with the mods' side of the issue than with security experts' side, and they know that being tough on terrism gets them votes. Government security agencies probably relish having a more tappable board because again it would make their job (mass surveillance) easier, although the people there must realize the downsides.

>>Terrorists just move onto open source encryption platform that will never have backdoors
Except this bill would make open source software essentially illegal.
The rules of the bill are that the government must have a backdoor but the source code of said backdoor cannot be available to the public or some shit.
I'm paraphrasing and I could be completely wrong but that's how I understood it.

>YFW YOU DON'T LIVE IN AUSFAILIA

Is it illegal to forget a PGP password?

only in oceania

As usual,people who don't know how modern encryption works try to impose ridicuous laws nobody would even abide by. Stupid fucking waste of tax money.

rent-free

It's basically all but passed Labor oked it if they changed it to "serious" crimes but expect a new bill to expand that in the near future.
baka.com.au/politics/federal/police-spies-gain-powers-to-access-encrypted-messages-after-political-deal-struck-20181204-p50k74.html

UK is pushing the idea that the application doesn't warn you when special accounts "join" your chat. No need to break encryption if your client is encrypting and sending a copy to feds. Could be detected if u had root but doubt many do.
theregister.co.uk/2018/11/29/gchq_encrypted_apps/

This is basically the only way Australia can recover now. Businesses pull out of Australia and force the government's hand, like the days the Web went dark over proposed Section 230 changes. Or the compromise of applications pollies use like Wire and make them believe their parliamentary privledge is gone

Fuck first link is meant to be to Sydney Morning Herald S-M-H
Fucking word filters

Australia seems retarded when it comes to tech. What's wrong with them?

The idea is to try beachhead laws for the other 5 eyes countries.
>establish shit law in Australia
>other country complain about muh terrorism
>other country pollies state they need to modify laws to align with international standards
>shit law passed everywhere

>Does anyone technically or legally minded have a view on Australia's proposed encryption busting bil
A few ways to do this.
One way is to force company's to provide you with the private keys being used.
Another way which is actually easier to implement is to force them to use an encryption cipher that allows asymemmtric backdoors, or even to make them use number generators with intentional kleptographic weaknesses such as Dual_EC_DRBG

as if that would stop anyone from making new encryption algos and posting them on the web.

I could see USA doing it, but not because "Australia does it, so should we!"

There are ways to access encrypted data if you force company's to abide by certain standards, see above post.
But in general you are correct, unless if they can ban the sale and importation of xor logic gates on processors, someone could always just code a prng or encryption suite that's up to par

I regularly hear, in Australia, the rhetoric that the UK or US has have laws which provide police particular powers and we're strengthing ours to bring them inline.
Even if as a citizen you don't hear about it I expect they would be presented to police lobby groups or during police/security conferences

Seems unenforceable, without becoming worse that China. Just trying to enforce it would drive more people to circumvent it.