/CentOS/ - general

CentOS 7.6 released!
lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2018-December/023082.html

Set your system up exactly how you like it and enjoy rock solid stability! Learn the joys of only having to reboot once a month!

Attached: 1525961639303.png (1000x1000, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.centos.org/Download
scientificlinux.org/).
networkworld.com/article/3319441/linux/analysts-look-at-the-ibmred-hat-deal.html
access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/3716411
access.redhat.com/ecosystem/hardware/1135733
wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-cea9337e6513cc1567c4d05afbd693f1f7038ccb
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's a minimal install guide from the last release. I don't think there are any major problems with it.

Attached: centos_minimal_(needs editing).png (1233x833, 184K)

any chance of getting a guide on doing a 3d graphics workstation setup? CentOs is the workstation of choice for 3d, I just can't ever get it setup on my own. I've been spoiled by bad ass system admins

Not a detailed guide, but if you don't care about doing a lot of customization, you could just select the GNOME desktop option along with any other available software options you want from the install dvd. Then I would guess you would want to install the proprietary nvidia or amd drivers along with any of the 3d software you use. You would want to add the epel repository. As of now blender 2.68a is available there, but of course you could use the latest version from the actual site. Gimp 2.10 (if this is relevant) can be installed easily with flatpak if you don't want the available 2.8 version.

Wait, do you people use it for more than just servers? Why?

Why wouldn't you use it for an extremely stable desktop? You can set it up the same as any other distribution and it will stay that way without breaking.

b-but i don't enjoy outdated software

Attached: 125413981146.jpg (325x400, 12K)

I use it on my servers for that reason, however for my desktop, I need something a lot closer to the bleeding edge, plus I don't lose anything if my desktop goes down, I can be back up in 1~ hour, my desktop OS is Fedora/Kubuntu (some people just won't support .rpms for their app)

Attached: 1543550804539.jpg (300x300, 64K)

>if you aren't using ssh
Lol

>botnet logging into your system
You need to port forward your SSH port for that you chucklefuck, who the fuck wrote this? I'm not reading the rest Kill him.

I want CentOS 8 beta to test migrations.

Some of us are real men that run as root and connect our computers directly to the internet, you cuck.

That's just dumb and insecure you set up a your own VPN and do all your maintenance from it, no port forwarding needed and all communication with your hosts happen without leaving the LAN

based thread

Not that this contradicts what you said, but it was openssh-server that was filling up my logs with failed login attempts. The openssh-clients is still installed.

it took more than a week since Red Hat released 7.6 huh?
What's the difference with using Developer's Subscription on Red Hat with CentOS? I only see the legal limitation on using red hat as a production server, where on centos you are free to do whatever you want. But if your use case is just development or personal server it would be okay to use the red hat subscription right? Although you'd have to re suscribe every year

user, no sane router port forwards port 22 (or whatever you set it) by default, you need to explicitly add such a NAT rule, by default the only ones who can connect to a ssh server is whatever's on the local network.

>Some of us are real men that run as root and connect our computers directly to the internet, you cuck.

Pleb! I run as internet and connect my computers directly to my root.

If you don't chmod -R 777 / you are a pussy

Most distros won't let you run SSH with such loose permissions.
I don't know if it ends up in refusing connection or just not starting the service, but either way it's one of those things to prevent human stupidity.

do you trust some third party repositories apart from the fedora one? I think is safer to compile from source the tools you need. How do you go about adding your additional software to CentOS?
I don't think the software age is a problem in any way, is almost free of bugs that way. The only problem I see is the number of maintained software. Is like having just a base operative system rather than being spoonfed all the applications you need like on Debian. Which ends up being rather buggy and outdated.

>90% of programs won't work because glibc is 1000 years old

Attached: 1541201900795.jpg (462x429, 25K)

>has to manually get dependencies up to date

Attached: tfw.jpg (691x653, 42K)

what am i doing wrong?

Attached: vmware_2018-12-04_11-19-20.png (800x600, 204K)

It's root owned. You're user1

dose chmod 777 testing
give everyone rwx to the dir?

>dose chmod 777 testing
>give everyone rwx to the dir?
aren't you supposed to use chmod u+s?

yes. you can use chown to change owners. it looks like the chmod u+s above may work also, but I'm not familiar with that.

>No 32b

Attached: not_at_all.png (371x294, 50K)

Look under AltArch Releases:
wiki.centos.org/Download

ok i finally got it by running chown in each subdir manually then chmod a+rwx

Is there a way to run chmod recursively?

Attached: vmware_2018-12-04_11-56-08.png (800x600, 197K)

standard use of asterisks on bash I guess, or for loop

>man chmod
chmod -R

why no one talks about RHEL or Oracle Linux?

Those are for work. Jow Forums is for bantz. How stupid are you?

Bump for the later crowd.

Ownership mismatch.
chown -R user1:user1 ~/testing will fix it.

>however for my desktop, I need something a lot closer to the bleeding edge
If you don't even know how to build from source I really doubt this is the case, 2bh.

Attached: 1535112977584.jpg (700x835, 157K)

CentOS is literally RHEL without the support tax.
I used Oracle Linux once on Itanium, it was fundamentally broken. I don't even think they tested it before releasing it.

nah he's right

>what am i doing wrong?
everything

Well they took like a month to release Centos 7.6 after rhel updated, while oracle did it the same day. I kinda feel like centos is dead for that cadence of updates. A month with a vulnerability open after fixed is kinda of a lot

>once a month
Those are rookie numbers.

this lol
If you need newer software is because you are testing it, meaning you compile quite often. Otherwise why would you need new software?

I use [Scientific Linux](scientificlinux.org/).

The future of Red Hat: How will IBM's acquisition affect the company?

networkworld.com/article/3319441/linux/analysts-look-at-the-ibmred-hat-deal.html

Attached: sl-logo-600.png (600x600, 258K)

on suicide watch since CentOS got under the umbrella of red hat

>Learn the joys of only having to reboot once a month!
Is this the absolute state of Gahnoo plos Loonix? I've been doing that with Windows since Vista.

just wondering, how fast will something like this get fixed on centos?
access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/3716411

took all day but i think i perfected my methods

Attached: vmware_2018-12-04_16-48-04.png (800x600, 163K)

Just a reminder that Red Hat based distros give you the Just Works(tm) thumbs up on Thinkpad hardware, since most people on red hat and clients use them.
access.redhat.com/ecosystem/hardware/1135733

Attached: 14917168231_627b73f332.jpg (500x375, 84K)

So, GNOME and Lennart Poettering both get fucked in one fell swoop. I can't wait

it literally says nothing

nice going, already ahead of arch babies. Where are you running vmware?

>There is some fear in the industry that IBM’s purchase of Red Hat will push Red Hat or at least some of its products onto the scrap heap
That is what I was referring to, you illiterate cunt

says who? the article is talking out of its ass, there's not a single source on it

I source on speculation? Are you fucking retarded?...they are speculating on what may happen in the future.

so it literally says nothing, good. stay mad gnomelet, gnome+systemd is already the linux flagship

Within 72 hours and normally within 24.
wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-cea9337e6513cc1567c4d05afbd693f1f7038ccb
The big delays only occur around the releases like 7.5 to 7.6. Then it could be 3-4 weeks, but you could probably find a way to build it or get it in the meantime if it was something very critical.

It doesn't say nothing. I already posted the quote I was referring to. Did you already forget?

what programs are you running overnight?

Gentoo

>I don't lose anything if my desktop goes down, I can be back up in 1~ hour
spinning HDD fags are really living in the stone ages nowadays

Attached: 1539033695367.jpg (488x488, 45K)

It's not HDDs, but the network in general.

well memed although I think he meant "fixing his packages" which I doubt if he can't compile new software from source instead of having an unstable os

just change the port, those dipshits mostly if not exclusively only target 22

yeah. is almost given that you have to change it, if anything the default is 22

>general for one distro

>not a general for every package on a distro

>the moment you realize the only posts that ever gain track on every board are shitposts

>/fglt/ bussy with reddit questions about scholar orientation

Scientific Linux is an Enterprise Linux rebuild sponsored by Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory. It uses the Red Hat sources but unlike CentOS, it is quite separate from Red Hat.

this
yeah, centos literally tell you they add nothing from aside from recompiling. That's why I see kinda of retarded that it needs a community and takes so much time to release dot updates

Still wouldn’t work on my laptop. Sticking to Debian stable.

suspension?