This bad boy boots up in under 20 seconds, and I'm not even using an SSD

This bad boy boots up in under 20 seconds, and I'm not even using an SSD

Attached: image.png (250x206, 13K)

If my laptop were a little better, I would have no problem using Void as my daily driver.

>tfw no AUR/pacman

Under 10 for me, also without SSD. But that's probably cause it boots to a tty and not a graphical login.

It also has no documentation and the fags on their IRC are hostile as fuck.

I got about 5 seconds or less on NVMe. Too bad the community is literal cancer and has little packages. Cool project though.

I got openbox open in like 10 with gentoo. Mostly waiting on sshd and bluetooth, since I can't rid myself of that sweet m555b.

negro my Arch install takes like 1/4 of the time

Why rewrite documentation when Void is pretty vanilla and Gentoo and Arch wikis can be used, just modify it to your system. You don't blindly copy-paste from wikis, do you?

The IRC is fine, just don't act like a petulant child and you will get all the help you need (t. #voidlinux resident)

I have a Macbook Pro...is OS booting up still a thing? Lol

(x) doubt

The three things I’d want documtation for in any distro are the installation process, system management, and package management. Void’s installer is fine, but the disconnect between having to do your partitioning and encryption before even loading the GUI installer if you want full disk encryption bothers me. System management is largely done through runit which is actually well documented, so I have no problems there. Installing packages that are pre-packaged by the devs and the community isn’t a problem (though xbps syntax is so verbose is almost requires aliasing). The issue comes from installing packages from source. Making your own .xbps template file is a nightmare for any non-trivial program because you have to figure out all of the dependencies yourself and then format all of the information needed to install the package in a way you can only guess at by reading other .xbps templates. If you ask for help with this, like I did on IRC, you’ll be told to just read the xbps-src “””documentation””” and existing template files until it clicks. That’s not what I’d call a good system.

Also, the devs hatred of anything to do with electron means that you have to build all programs that rely on electron yourself. Even when they’re installed they’ll still look fucked because when I was using void there was a kerning problem with electron programs that the devs refused to fix. I really want to like void, hell I have it installed on a T430, but these problems combined with the fact that I have no idea if it will run on my new laptop means that I have to stick with arch for now.

so you can rice your desktop at double speed?

Well, then our experience varies because I think the xbps-src documentation is fine and I was able to follow it to make a couple of packages. Also, nothing is stopping you from installing applications from source, ./configure, make, make install will work normally. What you're trying to do is create a package and use the package manager to install it.

The process for creating Arch packages is similar, iirc, and Debian as well, you just haven't had to do it because someone else has done it. But this is Linux, a community OS, where users also contribute.

Now that I think about it, I think it is a good thing xbps-src documentation is a bit hard. That means only those who know what they're doing or are willing to learn/understand will build packages. That's a good thing. Arch's AUR is too chaotic.

That’s the thing, I have made my own PKGBUILDs with arch because the documentation for it isn’t cryptic as fuck. If you genuinely think that it’s a good thing that it’s hard to make new packages then I don’t know what to tell you. What about the fact that creating a new package, according to the documentation, requires downloading the entire void packages collection into a local git repo? Doesn’t that seem excessive to you?

The repo just contains the build scripts. And that is done so it is easy to submit the packages you've made yourself; you just push them to the repo.

As I said, I don't find the documentation crpytic,it's easy enough to understand. You just have to understand what is happening, you can't copy/paste commands. And I only said that it is good because it ensures that those who build packages know what they're doing and didn't just copy/paste a build script and half-assed the whole thing. Because you will be contributing to the actual distro and the repo, not just an unmanaged bazaar.

well I have an OS that boots in 3 seconds from slow serial flash with half of that time spent on ethernet negotiation, doesn't mean it's any useful

I think we just have fundamentally different preferences when it comes to package ecosystems. Since you’re still involved in the void community, would you mind answering a few questions:
1. What’s the current situation with electron apps? Do they still have kerning issues? Do the devs still refuse to include them in the official repos even when build templates exist for them?
2. Is there some sort of list of hardware that void is known to work on?

Windows 98 boots in 10 seconds and is more useful.

1. I wouldn't know, because I don't use electron apps. In your case, I'd just use flatpak and be done with it. It works well.

2. It uses the Linux kernel. Whatever hardware the Linux kernel supports that is what Void works on.

Lol HaikuOS is comfyer and boot under 10sec

another question:
are all the Void devs barneyfags? and if so, when do you plan on killing yourselves?

Nice.

answer the question

>thinks 20s is fast

Attached: neckyourselfbeforeyourekyourselfohwait.jpg (300x370, 25K)

>Whatever hardware the Linux kernel supports that is what Void works on.
Mate I was barely able to get NixOS to boot on my laptop while Arch worked flawlessly. There is very clearly more going on here than just Linux kernel compatibility.

So does my Windows 10, and I'm not using an SSD either.

Who cares how fast it boots? On the same hardware, it works slower than Debian anyway.

So does almost any Linux distro with systemd. If yours doesn't, try:
systemd-analyze blame

>>/lgbt/

this

I have never riced for boot speed, and mine boots up to a graphical environment w/ an internet connection in about 6-8 seconds.