I'm crap at math but learning how to code. Do I actually need a lot of knowledge in math to succeed?

I'm crap at math but learning how to code. Do I actually need a lot of knowledge in math to succeed?

Attached: c++.jpg (565x564, 51K)

No

Attached: 1543866632543.png (620x399, 439K)

Maybe on Wednesdays

Depends on what you're doing.

Install Gentoo

Programming is abstracted lambda calculus. So in a way, yes you do.

In practice you may not entirely need to understand it though. Rather than pure numbers you work with variables and functions (which is still math).

You need to be able to think logically. Math is logic. If you can do one but not the other you are not thinking about it the right way

Idk about that, most math classes at my uni were higher level calculus which was essentially a lot of route memorization. Symbolic logic coursework which was philosophy was logic, but math, no. Not until you got into proofs, which typically was at the very end of the program

I write flight simulation software so all the shit from calculus that I thought I'd never use I touch on almost a daily basis.

Lots of Uni's require Calc 2 because it helps with higher-level programming for some reason, even if they're not using it. I don't use it, but it certainly helped my programming skills a lot.

You need to be able to compute and sum the primes under 2 million.

t. only took business or engineering calc

Proof based math classes are the only the start of any math program.

you need to know at least calc 1, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics

i can do that with c++ in a runtime of 10 seconds on an old as shit laptop yet i dont know what a logarithm is.mathfags btfo?

oh you meant under 2 million and not the first 2 million.then under a second

It takes me 1ms in C with a non-optimized sieve. Stop using bloat.

its because if you dont use the sum value it doesnt actually get calculated.put volatile before the sum variable name.

BASED

$ time ./a.out 2000000

real 0m0.005s
user 0m0.005s
sys 0m0.000s
Optimizing cache locality by using a bit array would bring it down to 1ms.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-04_12-53-26.png (682x714, 65K)

Not unless you want to do something meaningful

I did nothing but proofs in math.

This

You should be good at logic, coming up with solutions, and math/geometry if you need it for what you do (games, physics engines, simulations, etc.).
Lots ofmathematics a programmer encounters is trivial, and you likely need to think about it logically more than you need to know math.
By far the most important thing a programmer should be able to do is to identify the problem they're trying to solve. You should be capable of laying out what you really need to do in order to solve a problem. I find making algorithm flowcharts on paper very useful when you wanna plot out the order of your program and to get a general sense of what you should do.
And of course you can treat all of the math functions available to you as a black box.

All you need to remember is that the area starting from any vagina to the tip of your dick will never be negative.

with a corollary that the distance between the tip of a cock and your mouth's opening will always be

Kinda. But people will tell you you REALLY do more than you actually do.

source: worked as a backend webdev for 5 years with 0 issues, now going to college and getting my ass FUCKED because I can't into math.

You dont need great knowledge of math you need intuition. Rarely will you be presented a problem where you either cant google what you need or arent provided with the information. You do need to be able to understand the logic behind the math and be able to apply small nuances of math logic in your code.

bump

I am in the same boat, and honestly, there's plenty of success stories of people programming while having shit math skills(mainly web devs). However, if you ever want to solve more complicated/interesting problems(A.I., machine learning), then learn math is a must. I decided to practice my math alongside my programming, at the end of the day, it's like anons before me have mentioned, they feed off each other.

no, but solid math knowledge often correlates with being a good programmer, as logic and problem-solving are essential skills. I've never really had to worry about anything beyond pretty simple math after college, but all those calculus and discrete classes are in the CS curriculum for a reason.

It is recommended to be alright in the discipline since it helps to learn how to solve problems as well as seeing patterns. Math can be tedious at first, but if you really try to learn it won't be that bad. If I were you, I would become autistic with math and get good at it. At least get to Cal 2 and linear algebra.

It turns into the other way around.
The more math you know, easier programming becomes because you can pull all sorts of time saving tricks you wouldn't otherwise.

But it's easier to learn math when you have a practical application for it.

The chart says you're fine.

Attached: Major guide.png (429x608, 28K)