Feels

Sure modern tech is objectively advanced and impressive, but does it feel better to use?

Does watching a flat image with no bezels mounted on a wall give you a better impression of a movie than watching it on a tube TV huddled with your friednds? Does using an all-screen glass sandwich give a better impression than a comfy chunky old phone with a black border around it? Thin aluminium laptops sure looks sleek in a display room, but can they make you feel at home the way a beige PC did?

Share your tech feels.

Attached: dusa.jpg (1000x1158, 471K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NH0eJY95rMY
youtube.com/watch?v=nSveTQCoR_4
blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Let me tell you OP,
I'm sure that I have less feels to waste
on a cardboard thin screen
falling into someone
rather than a CRT TV

Attached: tvdeaths1.png (491x353, 117K)

What's wrong with some natural selection

>feel

How do you really know what being a kid and using a CRT feels like? Just a half-remembered memory at this point. Nostalgia. Which is what you're appealing to.

And I would rather fuck the qt on the 2nd image than play AoE on a shitty monitor desu.

qt not included

And this is why we stick to flat screens
but feel free to get some CRTs user,
I respect your decisions
and I can only offer F when the time comes.

Attached: smallest desktop.jpg (480x360, 17K)

>with your friends?
>comfy
>make you feel at home
that's the thing
anything is better or leaves a better memory if you associate or experience it with friends or comfort or in a good life situation for example. It doesn't matter how bad technology was when you were a kid, you had a good time with it. And that's the same thing that will happen to kids growing with with todays technology, looking back at it as something better. That's also why the entire concept of nostalgia exists

yeah
people grow up
and technolo/g/y evolves
you will never experience being a kid and experiencing using a computer with the same enjoyment, wonder and curiosity again.
but I bet you that the same can be said to your grandparents and electronic calculators/typewriters/cars/airplanes when they were young
you will never know the feels they have when these old tech first seen and existed.

Attached: uhh.png (680x279, 136K)

But I find TVs and phones with bezels more comfy than the allscreen ones right now user

well said, user
here's a (You)

Attached: good work senpai (you).png (262x438, 71K)

youtube.com/watch?v=NH0eJY95rMY

>that pic

Unease

I'm not entirely sure what to think of fullscreen smartphones yet.
But think about it, you don't associate bezels with words like "practical" or "better", you use "comfy", probably from all the memories you had with bezel phones.
Even though I'm just an 18 year old zoomer, I already see that happening when digging out my old Samsung Galaxy Ace, my first phone. Even back then it was objectively terrible, but my mind remembers all the great times I had while having that phone.

>beige PC
youtube.com/watch?v=nSveTQCoR_4

I miss them so much, Jow Forums...

Attached: Compaq.jpg (480x360, 9K)

In 20 years people are going to say the same thing about iPads and shit when it's all just beamed into your eyeball.

I wonder what will happen after eyeball AR stuff will be mainstream, could there be anything after that?

I really wanna take my 64bit computer and shove it into a vintage case/monitor for a dedicated templeOS machine. Any ideas or guides?

Attached: templeOS.jpg (200x150, 5K)

If you can't get a suitable ATX case, get a cheap case with a detachable motherboard tray and bolt that to the inside of your vintage case.

I mean there are things that are inherently comfy and things that inherently aren't, regardless of when you use them. A padded wooden chair will feel better than a glass one 100% of the time, despite the glass one looking neat.

Attached: rooms.jpg (2359x720, 524K)

attach a video terminal to the serial port, the way god intended.

Takes up less space. Wall mounting a faltscreen is a lot nicer than having a giant box sitting on something else.

I already think this way and dread the day that comes, if it ever does.

>comfy
fuck off with this buzzword

>describes the primitive instinct of feeling safe, acquainted, and comfortable with something
>is as essential as being fed or feeling social or turned on
>"m-muh buzzword!"
Fuck off retard

Yes it does user. It fucking does. I love flat screens. CRT screens are fucking scary man. Radiation + high voltage + vacuum tube + heavy weight = recipe for disaster. Plus, the screen was deformed and small. The PC monitor would take up your whole desk.

Nowadays I can lay in bed with my sleek, sturdy aluminum laptop that weighs almost nothing and doesn't heat up like an oven and doesn't have a ticking unstable HDD. It feels like a big flash drive, a thin brick of technology where I need it, when I need it. Seamless experience user. Bezels a shit.

Why are you even here when you're obviously just a barely informed casual who just wants a minimal Facebook machine? The boring-ass minimization of technology is pretty much what OP is lamenting.

I couldn't find an atx that looks like what I want. I'd like just a keyboard and monitor (monitor would have the CPU and such in it, ideally, so it'd be like a monitor+case).

Attached: old1.jpy.jpg (474x355, 21K)

That's not AoE you absolute pleb and the monitor is far from shitty

Attached: 44062943.jpg (3264x2448, 245K)

That won't happen since technology will never progress this far. NASA can't even get back to the moon because we lack competent people who could get stuff done, budget is just a minor issue. Humans are not evolving anymore we are declining culturally and genetically.

Were is there a cute in the second picture?

Just using an old beige PC won't make things comfy for you user, you need to change your environment. Then even sleek modern things will fit right in.

Use warmer natural colours, softer lighting. Embrace "hygge"

Don't think it counts as "modern" tech when there's still a cute girl standing next to it for promotional purposes. The modern era came a year or two later, when the ethnically diverse transgender overlords from the advertising agencies took over running everything, and replaced the promoters with images of themselves.

Actually I am a huge nerd. But even Linus Torvalds used a macbook air and has complained that debian is too difficult to install. Technology should make things easier for us, not harder. If I want to make something I can't waste time fucking around with tools that get in the way.

WWHAT GAME IS ON THAT CRT DISPLAY??????

The game box is literally leaning on the monitor

51? that's statistically insignificant
more people died from being struck by lightening during that time span

still
no one would die from falling heavy CRT TVs if it doesn't exist
same thing with lightning
no one would die from lightning strikes if people don't surface above ground.

My family had two. They felt like rocket ships compared to my early HP. Then we got the first VAIO in '96 and made everything look like dogshit with that custom SONY desktop UI

I actually can't stand lcd's utter inability to reproduce motion and I will never stop being butthurt about it.
>there are people on Jow Forums right now that paid thousands of dollars for lcd or oled tvs
STOP. Just fucking stop.

Wait, you're saying there's actually a major difference regarding motion when it comes to LCD's vs older tech? I thought my inability to fully graps motion on screens after puberty was just me getting older but now I'm interested.

CRT have higher refresh rate. It's way manchild play Game Cube smash on it.

So I could emulate the same thing by getting an e.g. 144Hz display? Or is there something specific to CRTs

>Does watching a flat image with no bezels mounted on a wall huddled with your friends give you a better impression of a movie than watching it on a tube TV?
Yes.

Zoomer detected.
I've got a 480p CRT TV in my living room right now and I can tell you it's got better colors than my 4k TN monitor.
Sure image quality isn't that great, but once you get to 1024x768 monitors the picture looks kinda fuzzy but in a good way, you don't really notice the low resolution except when working with source code, spreadsheets etc. And the colors are god tier compared to any type of LCD. I've had one two years ago or so and I used it occasionally as a third monitor until it failed and I was too lazy to try to repair it. I'd get another if I wasn't living on a smaller apartment now because they take so much space and it wouldn't be able to replace my 4k monitor for coding.

CRTs have lower input lag (no, response time is not input lag) and proper black levels

>no one would die from falling heavy CRT TVs if it doesn't exist
No one would die form vehicles if they don't exist. Get walking buddy.

LCD and OLED have shit pixel response times and so they smear motion. Plasma doesn't really have this issue.
When something moves on a CRT/Plasma too fast for your eye to track you get natural motion blur. When something moves on a lcd/oled pixels retain information from previous frames which creates an unnatural motion blur.
Input lag is entirely irrelevant here.

CRTs weren't balanced on flimsy stands or poorly mounted to the wall by a retard. I guarantee almost all of those were caused by flatscreens. Remember, plasma TVs exist and are pretty fucking heavy. I've got a 70lb 42" one. Even LCDs are heavy enough to kill.

It does to an extent, but not completely.
CRTs were actually generally 60-75hz, but the advantage is that the image faded after being refreshed until the next frame, unlike both regular LCDs and Q/OLEDs. This creates a type of motion blur called "eye tracking blur", where the image gets smeared on your retina because the frame stays being statically displayed on the screen while your eye moves to the position of the next frame, creating an effect similar to a shaky camera, as explained in this page blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/
You can reduce this with so-called "black frame insertion", but this can create flicker and/or make the display dimmer, so making an implementation that doesn't suck is expensive.
LCDs also have additional motion blur because of the way they work, this type of blur is called "display lag", but I believe on modern displays this type of blur is minimal.
So what you want (whether with LCDs or *LEDs) to reduce blur as much as possible is both 120hz and a good implementation of black frame insertion, but it's gonna cost you. Otherwise just go for a regular 120hz since it's worth it not just for the blur reduction but for smoother movement and less input lag.

Actually OLEDs have very good pixel response times, and modern LCDs are pretty good. The problem on *LEDs comes exclusively from what I posted on here And on CRTs the eye tracking motion blur is minimal because the time any given part of the frame stays being displayed is very short, and then that part of the image fades to black for a while until the next frame is shown and that part is refreshed again. Granted, this depends on the type of phosphor used.

No you're just nostalgic for a time when your life was easier.

I broke 2 massive CRTs myself though, and both were rested on solid flat stands that we still use to these days
I still can't explain what happened honestly

I would just use a period accurate case.
Shoving a 64bit modern computer into a 90s case sounds lame. Terry himself had a machine with 64 gigs of ram on a standard black case IIRC.

Actually I think since flat LCD/plasma TVs came about the injuries from falling TVs have actually gone up, since they're far more top heavy, they have slimmer bases, are usually actually taller than CRT units ever were, and they don't really make entertainment centers designed to completely enclose the sets. I'm not sure about deaths though since LCD sets can be pretty light.

Gif related.

Attached: 1273744391319.gif (440x285, 1.99M)

>I can't waste time fucking around with tools that get in the way.
But it's not like we're really removing those kinds of obstacles anymore, there's a great argument for the desk space saved by flat panels over CRTs and I don't at all agree with OP on that part of things, but modern computing (desktop and smartphone) is definitely less about engineering and getting a job done and more about cutting corners and appeasing the lowest common denominator of a given price bracket, and most things are pretty much the same as they were 10-15 years ago but less modular and versatile, and generally more generic and appliance-ified.

I can't say I really find the legions of undifferentiated, unexpandable and unmaintainable "sleek" MacBook clones that require more third-party accessories than ever to be worthwhile outside of a basic general use case at all an example of technology making things easier for us, they're just a reminder of how utterly dull, unexciting and uninspired computer hardware has been since around 2012.

I feel like when most people talk about "comfy" technology they're really just talking about technology that looks and feels like somebody actually gave a shit about it as much as the profits they wanted to pull from it.

>I feel like when most people talk about "comfy" technology they're really just talking about technology that looks and feels like somebody actually gave a shit about it as much as the profits they wanted to pull from it.
You could even call it soul, had /v/ not run the word into ground with ironic shitposting, so we'll call it passion

I wonder if there's any correlation between the TV injuries and pets. The amount of times I've seen cats knock down TVs makes me believe they do it on purpose.

Absolutely nailed it. Technology is comfy when it's made easy for the avobe average user and not for 80 IQ retards while trying to extract as much money, data and ad views from the user as possible. And I'm not talking about things like suckless which are made for the most autistic (not most skilled) 0.1% either, or Xorg which are made for somebody else to fix the gaping holes, or GNOME which is made for 80 IQ brainlets too but doesn't actually accomplish its goal, while being useless for power users.

>Does watching a flat image with no bezels mounted on a wall give you a better impression of a movie than watching it on a tube TV huddled with your friednds?
Good luck finding one big enough to use for that purpose and not killing yourself moving it into place.

That said, I think part of the appeal of retro Jow Forums in general is that it hearkens back to a time where life for a majority of browsers here was simpler and felt more secure, and it's a chance to have a piece of that era that might not have necessarily been attainable back in the day.

>Input lag is entirely irrelevant to motion
f youre gaming, it is not irrelevant

I mostly collect old enterprise shit I rarely if ever saw in the wild back then, but the second part is definitely true for me. I love having examples of whatever the most unique/cutting edge shit you could get your hands on was from a given time period.

There's also just a lot of nicely built things with stories behind them and always some inherent potential practicality just because of how open-ended computers are in what you can do with them. Even a shitty old 8-bit is infinitely better at repetitive or complex math than I will ever be.

Tech gets better and worse at the same time. Phones can do tons of things no one even dreamed about, but now you're also stuck with bad touchscreen keyboards. Laptops also have been getting worse keyboards all the time. So at least screens are getting better, keyboards are getting worse. Also serviceability has been constantly declining. Weight, portability and power consumption is getting better. The perfect computer would have modern internals and modern display but everything else would be old.

>got better colors than my 4k TN monitor
>TN
no shit sherlock
get IPS for better colors

CRTs doesn't have a demand anymore
because LED/LCDs is enough for most consumers
That's why CRTs are dead.
SIMPLE ECONOMICS

It's because the quality of industrial design has gone down (just look at Sony's older products) and nothing has tactility these days.

The newest macbook with retina display does not have backlight bleed and has better colors and infinitley better resolution than that CRT.

>dropped CRT TV on myself in 2001 when I was like 4
>me and TV were okay except I browse Jow Forums now
>see this
How vulnerable you must be to die from flat TV? I mean it is 2010, these are plasmas probably.

I was 2 years old when I had a 27" CRT fall on me. I was probably pulling on the thing, maybe trying to climb it. Still alive though, I think.

top: soul
bottom: soulless

cool story bro

Oldfag here, I prefer newer designs and thinner is usually better for anything from women to laptops, only poor people and people with some kind of mental illness have a different opinion when it comes to this.

Attached: 1543456582970.png (866x475, 53K)

Attached: 23453452345.png (1000x1158, 2.07M)

"Reddit spacing" meme is something newfags invented, go back to your site Redditor.

this, we need natural selection back to stop the degeneracy

there's literally no valid reason to double-enter space between a quote and a one-liner post unless you're actually retarded

I don't really know what you are talking about with this double-enter thing, I just press enter once.

but there is no reddit spacing, why did you bring this up?

shut the fuck up, old man

The presentation of older tech as something special and to be used occasionally unlike current tech of which is very homogenized, easily accessible and used daily gave it an entirely different feeling.
It might be partly growing up and now being in a position to use or buy whatever I want along with having more access to all sorts of media with relative ease but I do feel as if new tech isn't as comfy, it's just another consumable to gorge on then move on.

of course you don't redditor
are you illiterate or just retarded as well?

you guys really think these gifs are real, don't you

>vista

>look at top image
>comfy af
>look at bottom image
>eyes start hurting
Wtf, how?

FUCK YOU
MY RAT LIKES VISTA NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO
SO SHUT UP AND GIVE RESPECT

off white PCs will be the trend soon.

pro CSGO players are already going back to white keyboards. the black PC meme that was started by jobs at NEXT computers in the 90s and continued by Dell has been running for 25years now its time for it to die.

Old stuff was more comfy by the sole virtue of being more durable, so you could abuse it, intentionally or unintentionally, and it would still work

You could also perform concussive maintenance and it would actually work, nowadays tech breaks if you look at it wrong