Why can’t macOS programs run on Linux or *BSD?

Why can’t macOS programs run on Linux or *BSD?

Attached: image.jpg (657x527, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach-O
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Greed.

Linus torvalds cryptographically signs every executable that is allowed to run under linux and macos binaries just don't meet the high quality standards of mr. torvalds.

If you don’t know why/how executable files work, you don’t belong here

There are macOS programs?

Same reason you can't fly to Epsilon Eridani on your tricycle.

Because the cold makes the wheel lubrication too viscous?

different executable format, first and foremost.

Linux executables can run natively on freebsd just fine, often faster than on linux. It's a lot easier to provide support for natively running other unix-like systems than it is for something like windows. I think this is why he's asking... and the obvious answer is proprietary solutions made by apple in order to prevent a simple compatability layer from being possble.

>Why can't I use diesel on a gasoline car

Apple made the decision before linux/bsd existed

Then let me rephrase that: If you don’t know what executable file formats or ABIs are then git out
wut?

Because they can with a simple recompile, as long as they don't use Apple's frameworks for the GUI.
>executables
OP is asking about programs, not specifically executables/binaries. Of course those won't work, Darwin uses a completely different executable format to Linux's.
>and the obvious answer is proprietary solutions made by apple in order to prevent a simple compatability layer from being possible
macOS is still a UNIX-like system, and the only proprietary parts are pretty much the ones related to the user interface. Which means code that's properly written for UNIX-Like systems will run just fine across all the systems meeting a minimum spec.

Because you'll die in the cold, empty vacuum of Linux "standards"?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach-O

It's from their nextstep lineage

because even basic shit like crt0 is nonfree on macos platforms. there is literally no non-XCode toolchain--that I'm aware of, for macos.

macos is a shitty toy distro for literal retards and shills.

that's got nothing to do with the kernel

>distro
lel

>Apple made the decision before linux/bsd existed
Nextstep wasn’t originally built by Apple
Nextstep was based on 4.3BSD

Because they use a different binary format and require shit not present on other systems. Some OS X applications can actually be ported to other operating systems using GNUStep.

Right but BSD didn't use ELF til... late 90s? Also questionable if pre-unix-lawsuit BSD qualifies as the same as post but my point was BSD using current ELF not ancient unix a.out. Definitely pre-linux.

Anyone know what minix used/uses?

I installed minix3 just for you, user

Attached: minix.png (720x51, 5K)

Yes ELF was standardized for Unix like systems in the late 90s. Linux has been around since 1991. But really the big issue with cross platform binaries is libraries, APIs, and any other shared resources.

nah thats all optional.

user, I...

what about clang