Librem 5

We're a little over 4 months away until librem 5 hits the user's hands
Say something nice about it

Attached: purism-librem-5-kde.jpg (1024x576, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/librem|sort:date/qubes-users/ObhsIHmAyOA/aBfPyIdCCAAJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can learn a language in all that time.

Cool retro design

>he fell for the Purism meme

Attached: 1536373031056.gif (200x234, 2.85M)

specs?

I can actually install what I want on it.

it's hip and trendy for late-stage millennials with more disposable income than capacity for independent thought

>trannyphone5

Attached: Screenshot_20181204_154839.png (1228x782, 682K)

It's pretty much anything you'd want, for a phone

Attached: croppedImage_1543967369320.png (1401x2355, 399K)

I will if you ship me one for free

wow! will they be making at least 4 of them this time?

The equivalent of an 80$ chinkphone for 599$. Nice

>eMMC
>DDR3
>literally who processor
why the fuck is this POS $600 again?

Yo, I saw one of these. Some Arab was hawking it at a mall stand. Said it was the new iPhone for only $50.

>>literally who processor
according to Purism, the chip was chosen because of the fact it could seperate itself from the baseband, which allows the modem to be isolated, instead of it having eveything stored on the RAM like with typical ARM chips
it's made by NXP who was almost bought out by Qualcomm, but the worst part about it is it's a A53 quad core so performance is gonna suck
the only good things about this phone are the killswitches and the fact it runs GNU+Linux

Attached: phonescreenkeyboardmouse-2.jpg (1280x720, 159K)

>can't use any of the apps I use every day on it

Why bother

$60 chink phones have better specs than this thing. I will only pay so much for something that shitty.

When THIS kind of future is truly possible, with a smartphone powerful enough to actually be a desktop or laptop replacement, it'll be a great point in time.

Unfortunately, it's a very VERY long ways off.

They already totally are, as long as you manage your expectations for what you want that device to do. The 'average user' mainly consumes content and in terms of generation, won't be doing much more advanced than making a powerpoint or maybe uploading a five minute clip of something to Facebook and a phone is totally overkill for most of that these days.

Until it gets delayed again because it is not a real thing.

>he doesn't only ever use a terminal
Fucking scrub. Why are you even here?

>$600 preorder with no specs available
No fucking thanks.

It's the only mobile phone which lets you have actual privacy.

>My super trannyphone will keep me off the botnet
>Let me just connect to the Internet real quick. To the Internet, you know, the place where my data immediately goes through Google's servers even if I never open any if their sites

I know you want to believe.. but c'mon son.

Attached: cc658cd2de19733587432db8e486a4e5407348d63943143a842a8d3df72b1e93.png (828x980, 531K)

Just get a fucking Nokia 3310 or something if you want privacy. Smartphones are botnet by design.

>internet == google
Are you retarded

It's better than nothing
>botnet by design
And the point of this is to be designed in a non-botnet way. That's why it's using the processor it has and hardware switches.

holy shit post the video link

Check Linux for Dex.

Created by the CIA niggers Terry warned you about.

Gnome... not even once.

>Say something nice about it
Well, KDE is not a FUCKING FOOT, but that's pretty much everything good about it.

PinePhone is coming out at around the same time and it will be priced at a little over 100$. For anyone interested in a Linux phone it's an ok deal.

>phone lets you fight the (((qualcomm))) monopolistic botnet
>bitch about the specs
absolute state of Jow Forums

I could buy 3 rooted Redmi note 5 for this price.

>Unfortunately, it's a very VERY long ways off.
Windows Continuum has been released years ago.

will I be able to use normie apps at all?

It is going to crash and burn.

You just go ahead and pay $600 for a 4x1.5Ghz A53.
>Muh kill switches
What can you do with it without cellular and WiFi? Play with the calculator?

I wound never buy or use anything named "libre-something" in my life.

It's unfortunate they didn't try to liberate Android instead. Seems far easier than reinventing GNOME and KDE for mobile interfaces. Also, the prices doesn't match the hardware at all.

Remember Ubuntu and Firefox phones lmao

>Also, the prices doesn't match the hardware at all.
I guess the cost of "gender confirming surgery" gets into the price.

>Remember Ubuntu and Firefox phones lmao
Truly the Ouya of phones.

See you fucks are the reason why google, microsoft, and the botnet cartel are allowed to do what ever the fuck they want. When ever someone come out with something that is designed to give a bit of privacy you people shit all over it for the wrong reasons.

You people are pathetic sheeples and are just as much to blame for the botnet than the average clueless normie. No, actually you people are worse because at least the normie doesn't know any better.

>I wound never buy or use anything named "libre-something" in my life.
>caring about the name of a product to this extent or at all
Also see:
>You people are pathetic sheeples and are just as much to blame for the botnet than the average clueless normie. No, actually you people are worse because at least the normie doesn't know any better.

Android will never be allowed to be free. It was designed by google so that they could exert maximum control over it's users. The "open source" part is there to bait people.

Many have tried in the past and we know for sure it's better to start fresh with good core principle than try to fix the train wreck that is Android.

>what are custom ROMs
>what is microG
I suppose you also manufacture your own hardware as well and unironically suggest iOS as an alternative.

>hurr durr I need to sacrifice my privacy and my security to get a 5% increase in performance
The truth is half of Jow Forums is still using chipsets from 2 generations ago. You guys argue over AMD vs Intel so much when you haven't upgraded your desktop in 2-5 years

The point of librem 5 isn't so you can play games like the weak dick faggots you are. It's to protect your security at the hardware level. On every single phone you have, you have obfuscated blobs that contain proprietary code that has access to your entire system

LMAO the phone is still made in China. You are delusional if you think you have any privacy if you use any modern electronic.

Unironically, China having my data is far less concerning than all of the 17 3 letter agencies whose entire purpose is to spy on you

>every piece of hardware ever manufactured has a hardware backdoor
Come on now, even software reverse engineering an inhumane process to begin with and yet here you are claiming something even more complex is true with utmost certainty. I also suppose you manufacture your own hardware as well.

You mass replied without reading you retard.
My argument was the price.
For the same price, I can buy three or four Redmi Note 5 rooted.

I don't care about performance really, I don't play on my phone.
Give me a phone with a nice camera, libre, under 200 USD, and I'll take it.

>you replied without reading you retard
The price you pay is mostly going to the effort in creating a smartphone without obfuscated blobs hooked into the CPU. Redmi doesn't guarantee that

Xiaomi Mi Max 2

>The price you pay is mostly going to the effort in creating a smartphone without obfuscated blobs hooked into the CPU
Not paying an extra 400 USD for that.

>Redmi doesn't guarantee that
Well, it's not "Redmi", it's Xiaomi. Either way, most of their phones are developer friendly and offer the next best thing - a custom ROM and microG. You'd have a better point if the phone in question is already available worldwide and "successful". At this point, its future is uncertain.

>under 200
Pine Phone. It's coming out next year. Will basically be like Pinebook.

Xiaomi devices are backdoored. Also, to unlock them you have to register a Mi account and wait for them to send you unlock codes.
Custom ROM and microG isn't even close to "next best thing".

>Xiaomi devices are backdoored
How so? I'm sure you've reverse engineered hardware they use.
>Custom ROM and microG isn't even close to "next best thing".
So you manufacture your own hardware as well? Or unironically suggest iOS as an alternative?

I wouldn't expect a smooth brain to under basic economics. See the reason why you're paying 600$ is because of the engineering effort that goes behind designing a phone that is centered around privacy. It's not as easy as just taking all the top of the line parts available and slap an existing mobile OS and call it a day.

Also, when a company charge you only 200$ phone with 500$ specs guess where the rest of the money coming from? They're data mining you to the extreme and you best believe that's the least of your worries. Same reason why Facebook and all Google's services are free.

>Muh MicroCuck
>Muh Custom rumz
Keep drinking the Android kool-aid mate. Come at me when these privacy respecting roms are devoid of obfuscated binary blobs.

>Let's just trust apple. They would never bretray their loyal customers, ever.

The absolute state of Jow Forums 2018

Open source software on the device by default would be the next best thing. Unlocked bootloader by default.

I was clearly ridiculing that.
>Open source software on the device by default would be the next best thing
What do you think F-droid is for? At this point the only manufacturer which provides unlocked bootloaders by default is Samsung, although their custom ROM support has been lackluster since the S5.
>Keep drinking the Android kool-aid mate
Nice meme reply. So you do actually suggest iOS as an alternative...
>Come at me when these privacy respecting roms are devoid of obfuscated binary blobs
Yeah, I'll probably come never because I won't be able to developer my own mobile operating system. Neither will you experience anything even close to that on iOS.

>what is fdroid for
What the fuck does this have to do with anything? How does "fdroid exists" mean your device will come with LineageOS or stock android and without google services by default?

>What the fuck does this have to do with anything
Uhhh, open source software?
>How does "fdroid exists" mean your device will come with LineageOS or stock android and without google services by default?
Yeah, this will never happen at this point, especially in the days when removing micro SD cards slots and 3.5mm jacks is normal. Good thing not all devices are locked down and you can actually install Lineage OS among other things.

That's exactly the point and the reason we need Librem. The only company that was nearly as good was Wileyfox, but they're basically dead since CM was abandoned.
>just install LineageOS
Not a solution. Especially not until there is ONE fucking ROM file that works on all devices. If Linux and even fucking windows can have out of the box support, at least generic one, for thousands of different hardware combinations then Android should too.
Either way LineageOS doesn't solve proprietary hardware issue and uncontrollable microphones/SIM/GPS.

>sheeple
*tips signed copy of the god delusion*

ITT 3 letter agencies in full force

>just install LineageOS
>Not a solution
>Either way LineageOS doesn't solve proprietary hardware issue and uncontrollable microphones/SIM/GPS.
And using whatever backdoor filled OEM firmwares until or if the Librem comes is a good choice? Come on.
>Especially not until there is ONE fucking ROM file that works on all devices
That's what Project Treble is.

>That's what Project Treble is.
It's really not. Where's the universal android ROM so I can install it on all my devices?

The i.MX8 is made in 3 versions, the basic one with 4xA53, the mid one with 4xA53 and 1xA72, and the top one with 4xA53 and 2xA72

Are there any benchmarks for this CPU so we can see how it compares to a generic snapdragon?

This.

It should be a bit slower than a SD650 CPU-wise on it's top configuration, on the CPU side I would expect it to be quite slower but dunno, the last Android devices with Vivante graphics that competed with Adreno that I recall were made back in 2013 or so

>That's what Project Treble is.
>It's really not
It really is, but it's barebones AOSP.
>Where's the universal android ROM so I can install it on all my devices?
We don't live in a world free of data mining and planned obsolescence, so the best course of action is buying a device which isn't locked down. I don't even understand what you're even arguing for at this point. It's not like the Librem has already been released and I'm being deliberately obtuse. Who knows if it will be released at all. Once again:
>And using whatever backdoor filled OEM firmwares until or if the Librem comes is a good choice? Come on.

Did they confirm which of the variants they'll use?

>Who knows if it will be released at all.
Are you fucking retarded? Librem always delivered their laptops which are more expensive, why wouldn't they deliver this?
>using whatever backdoor filled OEM firmwares until or if the Librem comes is a good choice
I can't see where anyone stated this except you.

Fuck off retards. Librem is a fake security.

groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/librem|sort:date/qubes-users/ObhsIHmAyOA/aBfPyIdCCAAJ

only 1 USB port
system not on SDcard
rejected

afaik they haven't but the DDR3 suggests it will be the basic one

Thanks for the unnecessary insult. Really helped to solidify this conversation.
I don't know why they wouldn't deliver and I'm all for it, but there have been two delays already.

This. I can't believe Jow Forums fell for the botnet

Isnt it just gnome on a phone?

Too little too late. My phone died while I was waiting for this so I had to get a new one.