So Jow Forums?

So Jow Forums?

Attached: video gaming meme 0001.jpg (530x331, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-Adapter-Ethernet-Passthrough/dp/B0778Y6K6N/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543987835&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear 2000
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

well the router looks dead since its legs are all up in the air.

So what, retard.

>implying the cable can go across 20m of house to where my computer is and still carry a signal.

a cable with infinite length beats a wifi with infinite range every fucking time.

What's stopping it?

Unfortunately I live in a house with dogs who may chew through the cables, so I'm stuck using a network adapter. My only other option is to obtain weatherproof Cat-5 cable and snake it onto the roof and then down through my window.

The extreme length of the cable. Cables have a thing called resistance. It stops electricity from travelling great distances through them.

The cable is only 6 ft. long, idiot.

How long do you think 20m is?

>a cable with infinite length
nope

Attached: Table.png (394x183, 8K)

idiots

>he thinks a 6 foot long cable will span 20 meters

Why use would use a cat solution for a dogs problem?

i'll span my foot a few metres up your ass faggot

The one that can build spaceships and is immune to energy weapons.

>fall for spider router meme thanks to memesh wifi and all the Youtube reviews showing that you can browse perfect 4k videos far away from the main router
>the spider router is actually good, however Asus' mesh wifi is glitchy and nodes drop multiple times within the day and you have to reset each one manually for a couple of times because it doesn't reconnect by itself on its own
>in the end had to use long ethernet cables so that it wouldn't drop like a potato all the time

>turn on router
>it walks away

>he doesn't know about differential signaling
>he doesn't know about skin effect with AC signals
>he doesn't know ethernet is good to 100m without any extenders
pro tip, it's more about the capacitance per unit length with communication signals. resistance is pretty much worthless at high frequency. please stop posting.

2000cm. How much voltage do you think a modem can put through an Ethernet cable?

Jow Forums has been drinking retard juice like a fucking camel recently

Attached: Yz42r.jpg (300x300, 11K)

You but could it beat a hundred lions?

>getting a good wiffy signal 100m away

Attached: 1410608216393.png (393x393, 176K)

>15 users
>all in different rooms
>Can't get ethernet to everyone cause switch has only 8 ports
Well, who do you think would win? The dead spider, of course

Holy fuck you are stupid

Hue hue huuue

Gotta agree, you are quite the stupid.

blog post about my ascension
>been a wifi babby for the longest, isp just upgraded their gateway combo with 5ghz AC
>get a thumbnail sized 5ghz usb adapter
>fast forward a while
>now got a steam link for in home streaming
>fed up with signal drop out and the wifi adapter randomly disconnecting in windows (with no support in linux)
>THAT'S IT
>price out "better" AC adapters knowing I'm going to get ripped off, starting at $35+
>ehhhhhhh
>ethernet is totally out the window
>look into powerline ethernet. shittier price, potential complications, bad cost/speed ratio and would need 3 stations comprouterlink
>wait a minute
>ethernet is out the window?
>try with a thicker regular phone cable, both windows can shut just fine
>order flat gigabit ethernet
>living the dream

Attached: brainlet8.png (452x381, 52K)

>mfw first thing after buying house was running gigabit ethernet
feels good mang

Attached: IMG_20170730_163259.jpg (1000x750, 213K)

good taste with your router choice

Just to be clear, you're talking about the ER-X right? The WRT54gl is just my wireless AP.

imagine calling other people retarded and posting this shit, look into the stuff you post before you shill it

WRT54gl
hope you put worthy firmware on there

Attached: 1541863951450.jpg (630x630, 43K)

the max length is 100 meters. With 10 Gig cable, it's 55 meters.

tard

The first house I bought had gigabit ethernet throughout. Two ports in most rooms, four in the master bedroom. Unfortunately, my bipolar alcoholic cheating whore of an ex-wife drank the mortgage payment for a few months and we had to move out and get a rental. God, I hate that fucking cunt.

These days, the router.

>powerline internet
YIKES

But that's wrong.

Wireless router can have both cable and wi-fi, so clearly $500 > $5 for like... 100x times.
Are you dumb? duh

Are you retarded? I have a 20m cable running from my living room across the ceiling into my room. Just because you're a complete retard and can't figure this out for yourself doesn't mean it's not possible.

The house I lived in until about two years ago I had gone totally nuts with Cat5e. It was a single-story ranch-style, so I ran eight bundles of 6x Cat5e and 1x RG-6U (which happen to be almost exactly an inch in diameter) through the attic. I ran one to every room except the room with my servers I ran two (one of them didn't have RG-6U because I ran out), then brought them all to the top of a closet through a 3-inch hole in the ceiling. I finally got around to making a half-decent soffit for the patch panel before selling the house.

Now I'm back in the old family house, which is 2-story. I ran a single Cat5e through an ancient drop hole downstairs to the TV room, and used an old cable TV drill hole to get to an adjoining bedroom. I still need to get something to the kitchen/garage/utility room, especially now that it's winter and won't be absurdly hot in the attic.

But it can

And how good do you think the signal would be at the end of that? I'm guessing 20%.

Alcoholics are a pain. Don't live with them.

Wrong, 100%

Cat6 ethernet can go 100 meter without degradation. You can buy 20m cable for

>new house
>ran almost 100 mt worth of cables with other cables, but routed em with aerial or ground, avoided AC power
>full gigabit in the first test run

Yep, wired is here to stay

Attached: 20181123_183329-1.jpg (2349x1391, 501K)

Jeez, do you think the entire internet runs on wi-fi?

Attached: 1370599568274.gif (232x196, 540K)

20m of cable is literally nothing

fuck you faggot I had to troubleshoot an issue with one of those things and it was a pain in my ass. These things are crap and slow.

I will always ALWAYS use an Ethernet cable in my own house

Yes, and that distance is 100m, not 20.

Left is a $25 100 foot Ethernet cable, right was with Wifi, my router is 1 floor directly below my computer

Attached: Screenshot (66).png (1690x614, 150K)

gj, avoiding running parallel to ac power is key. link to cat6a ports?

Wired connection for the win

Attached: shark.jpg (968x681, 24K)

Attached: yikes.jpg (464x618, 30K)

The router, because I can sell it and buy 100 ethernet cables.

100 cables > 1 cable

If you're on 2ghz wifi it might be saturated. 5ghz should work better.

the only devices that should be using wifi are portable hardware.

CAT6 standard (or CAT5e at least) guarantees 100% signal at 100m. My only gripe is I dont want a drill holes through my walls just to have an ethernet connection. and no, I will not have cables running through the floor

Attached: 1537184628259.png (625x626, 72K)

Absolute brainlet, get off Jow Forums right now.

Found the zoomer

radio is technically faster and can carry more information. not to say that wifi actually takes advantage of that

but were talking speed of light communication on a nearly infinite number of unique bandwidths that can pass through solid objects mostly unaltered. compared to individual wires per channel and and running signal through wire

Is poweline REALLY that bad in its current incarnation, assuming your home wiring is decent? I need full duplex wired internet for my gaming needs, and I can't run an ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs since we would likely trip on them going up the stairs, nor will my parents let me make holes in the walls/floor to pass through ethernet cables. Pic related is what I would like for Christmas.

amazon.com/NETGEAR-Powerline-Adapter-Ethernet-Passthrough/dp/B0778Y6K6N/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543987835&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear 2000

Attached: 81v110gpo-L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1493, 105K)

How about Wi-Fi 6, formerly 802.11ax, with theoretical sustained throughput of 11 Gbps?

Attached: RAX120-hero.png (440x293, 74K)

Okay let's say you plug the ethernet cable into your device.
Now where do you plug the other side it?
>the router

No, the modem.

Is this 1999?

>tfw pulling cable through my entire house for Superior speeds (~30m)
>tfw you're so fucking retarded I just have to reply

Is that the new stealth bomber?

>implying a router can go across 20m of house unless it's not blocked by a wall

>thinks 20m is "extreme length" for ethernet
>thinks microwave signal will fair better through an equal length of household obstacles compared to an electrical signal through copper

gr8 post m8. keep up the good work.

Buy 2 cheap router

Or you know, get a patch panel and have ethernet ports in every room.
Holy shit, that was hard.

>not getting a 100% wifi signal 2km away
you should watch less subhuman jap cartoons retarded underage faggot

Attached: 1.jpg (474x474, 18K)

Its far supperior than wifi but I have to deal with disconnects because its going into standby for unknown reasons. There is a workaround to ping your gateway but its just ass. Don't get tplink.

i have powerline and sometimes i go for about a month with constant internet connection and sometimes i get 3-8 disconnects per 5 hour sesson, its fucking annoying to say the least
good thing im moving to a new place where my wifi cable can go directly into the internet box

Is mesh wifi a meme?

explain
t.ccna

underrated

Having your house wired up with ethernet would probably cost a fair bit more than $500 if you have it done professionally.

Attached: 608342076281.png (1190x906, 257K)

cable for pc
wireless for phone and laptop

i am drinking V and some just went up my nose

>What is PoE
Quite a lot actually

>not using fibre

You can get it under $500 if you self install using bare minimum material cost with cheap cat5e and off-brand keystones. It's only when you start going down the rabbit hole the cost skyrockets.

If you hire a company they're going to send you 2 mexicans who don't know any english to cut, drill, and pull wires through your house; so your going to need to do it yourself, and do it correctly. Inside your walls, none of this attached to the ceiling with anchors bullshit.

So you're going to need tools. Hopefully you already have them, otherwise, at a bare minimum, you need to buy a punch tool, crimper, metal coat hangers, and power drill & accessories. And if you plan on running cable through your attic, a respirator. trust me.

And because you don't want to do this twice, and the cost difference is negligible in the larger cost of the whole job, you future proof your network with the correct cable. CAT6A FT4 solid. With the corresponding keystones. Except once you actually start working with it, you realize how much harder it is to physically maneuver 6a compared to 5e. And how much your hand hurt separating the conductors to punch down. And your might as well run cables for future possible APs. And run a coax to the attic in case you ever need OTA TV. And you might as well run redundancies because your not going to use the entire 1000ft spool anyways.

So after a day of planing, and another day or two of fighting wires, your finished. except your not. Now you need to patch drywall, mud, sand, and paint.

Now you either need a rack or enclosure of some kind for your networking gear. You can either buy expensive server shit, or make your own rack with 2x4 and a table saw. You also probably need to run electrical wire to wherever you want your network closet. And don't forget to either run whatever you need from the closet to the demarcation.

And that's how a $300 wiring project ended up as a 2 weekend long $1500 project.

Attached: 2fcable.jpg (4656x2620, 3.47M)

End result is pretty awesome though.

Attached: network.jpg (4656x2620, 1.68M)

That cable without router is quite fuging useless I might say.

>2km
My first internet was wifi via such antena. It was pointer at aces point over 5 km away.
Needless to say internet was not reliable.

so you're telling me your houses do not have outlets for wires at ~2m height in every room since being built while also being made out of cardboard?

I have a TP-Link powerline adapter (supposedly 2 Gbps one, though I doubt it could achieve that speed) in a house which probably has decent wiring (built in last 15 years, in Europe). I've been running it across one for for a year, and it's disconnected like 3 times so far. And I'm getting a stable 150 Mb/s (haven't tested the actual limits, since that's the speed that my ISP gives me, and haven't bothered testing with connecting 2 computers). So it's not always that bad, but it's a hit or miss I guess.

Just have it up against the skirting boards in an appropriate type of tape, and use cable cover things for the 2 or 3 times it would need to cross the floor.

Don't trip over your wifi cable.

ill glass you cunt

I have two ~40m cables to my room and they've always worked fine.

Recently moved into a place and running cables to my room isn't viable, how reliable would EoP be in a decently old place?

>20m
>literally 70ft
Of course it will. Strong bait.