/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice:pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 1543865037992.jpg (850x607, 471K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/
ebay.com/itm/112006709116
soundstage.com/revequip/sennheiser_hd600.htm
stereophile.com/headphones/408/index.html
onhifi.com/product/sennheiser_hd600.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=28--5aEV1Z0
innerfidelity.com/images/YamahaHP1.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Driver matchlets, please make way :^)

Attached: MatchedDrivers.jpg (717x750, 134K)

$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

LOL, Stax are literally audiophool garbage

beyer is love beyer is life.

all hpg posters please refer to the attached pictured for a better thread experience

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-04 17-09-13.png (396x79, 7K)

You are my favorite poster of all time desu

Stax incels on suicide watch

Reminder that stax shills have been the nostaxers all along.

BAD HEADPHONES
Do you think she would notice if I sniffed her?

post the oldest headphone and/or the atom-est amp u got

Attached: image2.jpg (4032x3024, 1.78M)

I try to do my best ;^)

Buy speakers! Headphones are nice but if you can, buy speakers! Move outta your mums basement and get your own place so you can get SPEAKERS! Spending more than a couple hundro on headphone stuff is dumb!!! reeeeeeeee!!! Speakers are the best!!!1111111

Attached: stitchsaysbuyspeakers.jpg (2048x1536, 689K)

>he doesn't own stax

They sound bad anyway

Iris you have never heard stax

Attached: stax.gif (413x146, 18K)

Why does user keep calling everyone Iris? I got called Iris last week.

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Attached: 23a.jpg (1024x590, 39K)

Why not both?

Attached: 1543978158972389286949387306619.jpg (2880x2160, 2.02M)

perhaps move out of mums basement and into dad's apartment complex?

Are there any sites that would be good resources to compare different headphones?
I tried using
>rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/
but it seems to be at odds with what people say about headphones in here.

I'm not him !!! Has it ever occured to you that more than one person does not liek stax???? besides I don't even dislike stax or headphones in general I just like extolling the virtues of speakers. A pair of cheapo jbl (the lsr 305 come to mind) is going to offer up a much better listening experience IF you set them up properly. I will not get into the specific reasons why speakers out perform but you will have to trust me sweetie. Also if your living situation dictates you can only use headphones fair enough but otherwise you better damn well have BOTH!

Attached: d9dcd36983ec4072f56f73a72e28af86.jpg (772x800, 75K)

Just picked up used Andromedas for $750. Pretty ridiculously good sounding for in-ears but Eikon still wins.

Attached: IMG_20181204_214928.jpg (3024x4032, 3.51M)

>figurines, scotch, and stax

Attached: 075.jpg (680x383, 28K)

All you gotta do is get STAX

>!!! Has it ever occured to you that more than one person does not liek stax????
No, it hasnt occured to me because everyone likes stax

Is "more bass and treble" the same as "less mids"?
Is "recessed mids" the same as "boosted bass and treble"?
(air quotes)

Attached: 05387c2f72129451b40c6e394ba7f47b.jpg (1620x1217, 1.42M)

Please get rid of the audio-gd. That shit smears midrange and ruins transients. That's what I found anyway.

Attached: index.jpg (232x217, 12K)

No because people like to conflate upper mids and treble

what u recommend?

eyeing the RME ADI-2 DAC

Sure, they describe the same frequency response shape pretty much.

>STAX
Objectively garbage

Redpill me on planars and chinkfiman.

Poor man's electrostat

For dac just get a modi 3 or really anything that measures good. Personally I found the differneces between dacs so small it's not worth getting worked up over. Amps and your transducers are what is going to effect the bulk of differences in sound you may percieve. Also I'm a speakerfag, maybe there's more audible diffences between dacs when you're on a headphone setup but I find that hard to understand when many of you guys claim its the amp that doesnt matter. Or maybe im just thinking that because all you guys talk about is dacs.

i wish that was me

I think we should replace the term "V shaped" with "no mids".
I was trying to help someone pick headphones out and they said they wanted more bass and treble, I said "you mean less mids?" and they said no.
People are buying even worse headphones that I do because they're saying they hate mids when they don't really mean it!
he500 sounds pretty good brah, I've found a free test level of about 750ng/dl to be ideal for enjoyment of linear bass. It's also important to replace the headband if youve got a tiny brain, pop off the back grills as to make them more fragile than a ESP950, and make jerg pads so you can no longer choose between velour and leather.
pic not related

Attached: phonez.png (1920x1080, 394K)

Nah I'm with you, but despite the name the ADI-2 is a combo unit with enough power to drive low impedance headphones like Eikon, and Andromeda will literally blow itself out on anything with power.

it has a lot of features, measures well and supposedly sounds good. the regular adi dac without the headamp seems like it'd be good for a grand, and if you do need a amp you could get the combo unit. if i were a headphone user i'd also consider the soekris dac thingy.

Yes but people don't use the terms properly because they don't know how to read graphs

Can someone make a bot that posts on headfi and reddit that auto reponds to anything with "V" in it with "Increased bass and treble is the same as decreased mids"?
like that interjection bot we had a while ago that would correct people on Linux being GNU/Linux(gnu plus linux)

Attached: 1502488905182.gif (250x201, 104K)

Most of the time when people say V shaped they mean they want an >8K boost with a sub-bass boost but most "v shaped" headphones are muddy ear rape garbage with bloated midbass and harsh mid treble.
Just get sapphire to do it he's basically an NPC anyways

Please don't encourage autism

>Personally I found the differneces between dacs so small it's not worth getting worked up over.

I've owned enough really crappy ones to disagree, BUT there's easily a point of best dac and it's low. For the price of like a D50, you can just never worry about that stuff again.

>I think we should replace the term "V shaped" with "no mids"
That would be very imprecise, an FR can be V-shapped and still have very heareble mids. One is not a synonymous of the other.

I've been talking about no mids headphones but it's just the concept that you can get "more" of something that causes all the confusion.
People hear boosted bass and think I want that but what they're really getting is reduced everything else and so they will just turn the volume up until the vocals are where they want them to be like everyone does.

This. No mids would be U shaped

Any examples?

You can get more bass or air if it's done properly, because bass doesn't cause pain in the same way loud treble/mids can. And yeah, usually boosting bass means increasing overall volume as well. Nothing inherently wrong with that, when I listen quietly I sometimes apply a large bass boost.

anyone fucked with these old soviet planars? might be worth it for the novelty

ebay.com/itm/112006709116

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1558, 183K)

Audioquest nighthawks are said to be U shaped

>horrible clipping, skipping, and crackling on my topping d10
>adjusted everything, changed buffers, cables, tested for crosstalk, etc. but nothing changes
>tested my ancient barely functioning fiio e7, all skipping in foobar2k goes away but any streaming video still crackles, sometimes randomly but also in certain instances, like popping any time audio comes in when you use the seek function on a youtube video
HELP

Attached: 1486194672950.gif (500x375, 499K)

>tfw could afford stax but cucked by 240V mains voltage

I don't trust step down converters not to burn my house down or introduce a lot of noise.

Are you using SPDIF? Maybe your computer's port is damaged.

USB. I've tried pretty much all ports. About to try unplugging everything that isn't necessary as well.

HD600 has matched drivers.

soundstage.com/revequip/sennheiser_hd600.htm

stereophile.com/headphones/408/index.html

onhifi.com/product/sennheiser_hd600.htm

The problem is actually that people don't always know what they want, someone may want "more bass" when what tyey really want could either bee more sub-bass or maybe a warmer signature.
With that said, there's a study about how some Beats model may cause hearing loss due to exactly what you said, the bass masks the mids and treble so the listener raises the volume without noticing and damages it's own hearing. It's important to note though that the bass level on that model is freaking absurd, even the bass heavy models we usually talk about here are half or even less than that in comparison so any masking would be much less problematic.
It's also relevant to note that masking is much more problematic with loud bass than treble, as higher frequencies can't mask much at all of lower frequencies.

>sapphire took the bait
Oh nononono

Okay first of all they're not only "just worth it for the novelty" but ironically one of the best planars you can get. They measure better than say the LCD2(and not just in FR). If you have a thing for vintage stuff thats a plus because then I don't have to convince you how good they sound.
Just buy them for the vintage look and then you come back and you tell ME how good they sound.
Not comfy tho

cool, purchased

>listen to idol trash
>get CHINKED

those look much better built than chinkfiman and probably sound just as good lmao

HD600s are objectively the best headphones in the world and the HD650s are muddy, veiled shit.

>2003
>1998
>2001

youtube.com/watch?v=28--5aEV1Z0

I went to an sennheiser store and tried some headphones , and wasnt really impressed. The hd600 sounded really bad in the bass, very weak and the hd800s (the black one) made my ears hurt. the hd660 was a little bit better though. What are some headphone that I can get that won't have these problems? I can spend $600.

what is with this idea that because I listen to different variations of edm that i should get a headphone thats bassy? doesnt the music already have the bass in it so that a flat headphone would be best?
im looking at stuff to replace my gaming headset now that i've got a blue yeti that i use and ive been suggested the taction kannons and the emu teak but it doesnt make much sense to me, although the teak looks dope as fuck

dt1990

stax

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1529401970845.png (1280x960, 370K)

Hahaha, back to the kitchen, whitey
Driver match yourself while you're at it

Attached: 23b.jpg (425x543, 30K)

Nice user. Here are some measurements but I'm not going to overly interpret them for you in public because if i make even the slightest mistake people will spam my daughters cell phone with pain series. Without getting too into it you can at the very least see they have a frequency response that is very typical of planars. They basically have a flat impedance so output impedance of your headphone jack wont matter.
innerfidelity.com/images/YamahaHP1.pdf

Based, HD600 btfo

See

give back the money idol

Objectively garbage

youre trying to experience real to life bass but you cant get that from a micro dick 30mm driver thats on ur earcups. do you know how big a double bass is? the frequencies real instruments play? especially synthesized ones? youre out of your mind if you think a headphone can really recreate 10hz. that shit aint accurate.

stax come the closest, they can do 11hz

The old big amps have multitap transformers that let you set it to 240 local with a jumper plug on the back. And the modern little amps just use a 12VDC wall wart that you can replace with one off like an external HD bay as long as you use a polarity adapter since the japanese are backwards on their barrel plugs from everywhere else in the civilized world. They also sell the new big stuff in local voltage but you'll have to buy new from a store or used local.

I've used a stepdown transformer for some euro audio stuff in the past and it's never affected much that I've seen if you get one built well and rated properly. The power in your mains has to be stepped down when it gets to the transformer outside your house anyway, too.

And option 3 is always to build the amp yourself. I find this the most fun and it's the best bang for your buck, but I understand not everyone likes to put things together like I do.

can confirm i can only hear(maybe just 'feel' its hard to tell) 18hz on my he500 and its very very faint

It depends really, actually music is produced to sound somewhat good from any source, so while a signature close to neutral ensures that everything in the mix will be heareble, it doesn't mean a headphone with more bass, mids or treble will sound wrong. In fact, David Gibson states that Rappers would some times ask for more bass in the mix and he wouldn't do it because he knew what they wanted was actually going to come from the boomboxes and stereoes they liked, not the mix it self.
Bottom line is: research what are some of the best models with different kinds of signatures, test them and find your own personal favorite.

what if you used a sub woofer and a hd600 with a cross over?

Show us your cute headphone feet

chink tier build quality

It would sound like shit because you're still using low fidelity headphones.

How rude

Oh I didn't know that, I had that image stuck in my head with the huge energizers that have built-in PSUs. The wall-wart ones are more expensive though I suppose, but if those exist then might as well get one sometime.

It's just that I looked up some 240V->100V converters and all of them were either from dodgy chinese sources, or super expensive units designed for industrial stuff.

I own them

Oh, I own them as well

he isnt using stax

poorfag here, redpill me on the Sennheiser cx3.00s

Attached: TB2fTZciSCWBuNjy0FhXXb6EVXa_!!807974445.jpg (800x800, 80K)

that's the problem.

wallmart garbage for poorfags

Good, because they sound like shit

you're thinking of the hd600 from the same brand, the cx3 are fine iems

perfect i'll order them right away

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-01 07-19-40.png (276x292, 106K)

Attached: IMG_3959.gif (801x173, 355K)

is hd6xx really that bad? whats the alternative

6xx are fine, it's the hd600 that sounds like $5 walmart earbuds

Stax > HE-400 > DT 1990 > PortaPro

Attached: 20181204_205800.jpg (3024x4032, 339K)

HD 660s, HD 600. I tried them both and they don't sound amazing. HD 650=6xx and people say these are inferior to to HD 600 and HD 660s.