Windows Presentation Foundation open-sourced under MIT license

Windows Forms, WinUI also open-sourced.

This kills Qt and any chance of Google Flutter ending up on desktop.

zdnet.com/article/microsoft-open-sources-key-windows-ux-frameworks-launches-first-visual-studio-2019-preview/

Attached: vs2019-search.png (445x301, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/48#issuecomment-444198305
github.com/dotnet/wpf/blob/master/Documentation/contributing.md
twitter.com/AnonBabble

open source is corporatized bullshit. if it ain't FOSS it's a loss

It's not like GTK accepts any patches from people who aren't either employed by Red Hat or at least has sucked off every project leader at Red Hat during their previous employment at Red Hat and continue to suck them off.

why do I give a fuck?

WPF is shit,Windows form is cancer and WinUI is abort

>This kills Qt
LOL no. It's windows only.

Neat.

>MIT
>Not FOSS
You might be retarded.

GTK is exactly as cucked as WPF is now but you'd only complain about the latter because muh microsoft, even though Red Hat has been trying to kill Linux for over a decade I swear.

They did say that they're not trying to make WPF cross-platform but does that apply to WinForms as well? I just want a nice cross-platform toolkit.

It can get ported to Mac and Linux without too much effort since all the components it relies on are already open-source and cross platform.

Will Debian be better after this?

They depend on DirectX and windows APIs, any port would basically would be complete rewrite.
github.com/dotnet/wpf/issues/48#issuecomment-444198305

Embrace
Extend

What about WinForms?

Mono already has a buggy and incomplete implementation of WinForms, if you can find some people who cares enough they might make it better with newly released code.

WPF is shit though. Just wait for flutter desktop.

github.com/dotnet/wpf/blob/master/Documentation/contributing.md

>We will typically not accept contributions that implement support for an OS-specific technolology on another operating system.

They won't make it cross-platform, maybe some fork will. So no, it doesn't kill Qt.

What other FOSS projects will benefit from this? Wine and mono comes to mind.

Oh great, yet another shitty UI framework. Emphasis on shitty.

>Red Hat has been trying to kill Linux for over a decade I swear.
Red Hat is probably the largest or second largest contributor to FOSS and Linux. Just because you disagree with their design decisions (and so do I) doesn't mean they're not a hugely positive force.

WinForms has been cross platform for years.. You can shit out a WinForms mono app in a few minutes.

Neck yourself

GTK acepts patches from any competent developer, to contribute to Qt you need to sign an abusive anti freedom CLA, that is why GNOME is the standard Linux DE.

>have slightly gradient UI
>10 times more RAM used

Why can't we just use the superior kde toolkit?
They seem to be the only competent UI people. It beats qt, windows forms and winui.
Or better yet, have qt accept the patches so qt will be as good as kde and everyone will be happy.
We all know that it doesn't matter what happens in this field; Firefox will never have thumbnails

this. they open sourced shit in hopes neckbeards and morons would work for free to improve it.

same shit with chromium. If you are not google employee and work on chromium project, you should neck yourself

What's so good about WPF? I remember doing some basic stuff with winforms years ago, but never did much. Is WPF just easier to work with or does it have some fundamental advantages/improvements?

Don't care. Forms belong on the web. Anyone making a form based application that isn't web-based in 2018, is a fucking retard.

Oh, yes. Let others fix their problems for free.

wpf is better than html/css by a large margin, and is largely free of weird undocumented bullshit. It's definitely less frustrating to use than qt. Not sure about gtk.
Winforms is actually extremely comfy as long as you're targeting only Windows and you know it well. Winforms on mono is trash.

>It can get ported to Mac and Linux without too much effort since all the components it relies on are already open-source and cross platform.
No it cannot get ported to Mac and Linux you fucking moron.

Microsoft could literally MIT license everything they have and donate the entire company's resources to FOSS and you'd still find a way to complain, wouldn't you?

Better graphics,GPU aceleration,XML for GUI design call XAML, but for today standards is shit

>It can get ported to Mac and Linux without too much effort
I'd like to see you actually do it. If it's so good, what are you waiting for? Microsoft won't do it, they stated they're not interested in accepting cross platform code.

>We'll just open source things, and those idiot Linux nerds will instantly like us!

>GTK acepts patches from any competent developer
No, they don't. GTK rejects code all the time for reasons that make zero sense from a technical perspective. This isn't new, it's been a problem for years so you're either ignorant or lying. This doesn't make Qt or Microsoft offerings any better. But it is a sad truth. GTK isn't a general-purpose toolkit anymore, it's controlled by RedHat and they behave as if it's specifically a Gnome ToolKit not a general-purpose toolkit and if it breaks "third party" (anything not included in GNOME) then that's fine. If you want to submit a patch that adds a feature or fixes a bug that doesn't directly affect GNOME then screw you.

The kernel is developed with the model "we don't break userspace". It's a golden rule. Qt has it's problems but they do work in a similar fashion. GTK on the other hand breaks applications so frequently it almost seems intentional and some projects that were porting to GTK3 have decided to go back to GTK2 because of it.

Redhat's new owner IBM made some huge contributions to the holocost and the contract between IBMs office in New York and The Third Reich is on display in a museum. I'm not saying IBM's a neo-Nazi company for they are in fact not new nazi's, it's the same old original nazi corporation. Contributing something isn't always a good thing.

>XML for GUI design
How horrifying

Happy Hanukkah, Bryan.

Where the fuck is any of this useful outside their own OS?

>Wine and mono comes to mind.
How will wine benefit from this?

>Redhat's new owner IBM made some huge contributions to the holocost and the contract between IBMs office in New York and The Third Reich is on display in a museum.

Is this true? I never knew this. I will now make sure to buy IBM products whenever I can.

There is a lot to learn from and it opens the possibility of forking. Less proprietary code is better, don't look the gift horse in the mouth.

Learn what? How not to do things?

wpf is alright. Winforms are limited, but just werk. I don't understand the hostility.

IBM no longer sells anything to consumers, and since you're a NEET, it's highly doubtful you will be able to purchase IBM products or make a purchasing decision to go with IBM products for your employer.

no it doeNt because it is tied into the .net ecosystem and is Windows exclusive

with qt you can make guis even for toaster

Nope, if you suck as a developer or you are trying to commit code that doesn't align with the philosophy of GTK you'll get rejected, simple, many developers who don't work for redhat commit code frequently perfectly fine.

Wow, that's pretty huge

>Windows Forms

now THAT is a real library

Attached: 1525451287986.png (381x353, 38K)

winforms are still the most used gui framework for internal business applications. If it's not a webapp, it's probably a windows form application.

They don't make 'em like that anymore

Attached: image002.jpg (508x363, 49K)

That's only because when WPF launched everything moved to web. There is no reason to create a new windows forms application (unless you're too stupid for WPF).
Nothing can compare to WPF when it comes to making a GUI. I really hope some autists actually port it for Linux, but I doubt it will happen.

They just want people to make all the windows apps they make look the exact same but without having to fuck around with negotiations. And fix their own fuckups for them.

could this be useful for react os, or would they risk legal issues for not clean room engineering everything?