/wdg/ - Web Development General

What's everybody up to today?

Previous thread:

>COMPLETE BEGINNERS GUIDE
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.org
codecademy.com
hackr.io
theodinproject.com/

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4x

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

>PHP resources
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A

Attached: wdg.png (1280x720, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/facebook/react/issues/12093
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/radio
4stats.io/
find.Jow
github.com/Nocory/4stats-api#4stats-api
windowscentral.com/microsoft-building-chromium-powered-web-browser-windows-10
1stAmender.com
1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1424
github.com/airbnb/javascript
datasciencecourse.org/lectures/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's ya boi, the only guy in the world that has this problem apparently.
I've tried all the python versions, I've done every single magic trick that I can think of.
I've tried 2 different computers and I haven't been able to solve this.
If anyone knows what's causing this, please advice. CORS blocks me for good without browser extensions and even then only half of the requests go through.

How a simple npm install can fail this hard is beyond me.

Attached: 1543481140130.png (1305x274, 37K)

did you try sudo npm install?

When I push my repo to heroku it uploads fine, but I'm trying to push it to github via the command line and it hangs on the counting objects stage.

I had the same problem recently when trying to push to heroku, but that was caused by the node_modules folder not being included in .gitignore.
So I cleared the cache and now pushing to heroku works but pushing to a new github repo doesn't.

Any ideas?

I've tried running 'git gc' but that gives me the exact same message as a normal push:
>Counting objects, 34005, done.

I've also tried removing and re-adding the remote and changing the HTTP postbuffer on git --config but neither have worked.

I'm wondering if it's the permissions perhaps?

This happens to me when I'm on a super slow network. If you're on shit wifi or something, then that's most likely you're problem. Else, do some Google searches to what exactly is happening. There's a solution out there somewhere.

Searching 10 different ad websites for one thing is pissing me off, so i had an idea of making a website which would take the search parameters / term and show results with links from all those websites.
How would i go about this without an API?
Is it even possible?

ESLINT is actually annoying fucking garbage, why would anyone even use that shit.

Attached: 1538423458478.jpg (487x496, 102K)

rss feeds or you can scrape those websites

>scrape
Hmm, can you still sort by category on your website?
As in, say someone wants to buy a car. He selects the make and the model, and it searches for every listing on those websites that has the make and model selected and lists them on your website?

I've tried resetting the router to no avail. I don't think it's a connectivity issue because the repo uploads to Heroku without a hitch

>react does everything twice in production
>only solution I found is to remove all events and process things changed by regexp to their original form in the componentWillUnmount

So this is the power of JS libraries...

>Not using Vue in 2018

>react does everything twice in production
>twice

what the hell are you talking about?

>componentDidMount calls a function
>this function adds an eventlistener to all certain DOM
>the event occurs twice when triggered

is this it?

github.com/facebook/react/issues/12093

No, it occurs in code that is generated using babel and webpack --mode production

How the fuck do you add two zeros together in javascript to get the string "00"?

Why are JS developers so interested in JSON APIs, like what happened to the good old days of locking down what you have created and not making the inner data accessible to anybody

>removing it entirely seems to do the trick
comedy gold

check this:
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/input/radio

const zero1 = "0";
const zero2 = "0";

const doublezero = `${zero1}${zero2}`;

Remeber to configure webpack and babel to use the code in all browsers :)

Convert the 0s to strings first, but you can't just write 0.toString(), you have to put it into a variable like 'const zero = 0; const zeroes = zero + zero;'. String + string appends

console("00")

you fucking nigger

Now how do I put that into a loop to get an arbitrary number of zeros?
'0' + '0' worked, "0" + "0" didn't.
TypeError: console is not a function[Learn More]

FUCK the JavaScript ecosystem

Unironically this.

math random limit of specific range, for loop from 0 to limit which adds a new 0 to the string every iteration

gonsole.log, holy shit how new are you? console.log("00");

How do you make a custom start page for firefox? Like, how would you configure it? Make a website, then link it as your homepage, or create an addon which loads on new pages? Or is there something within firefox which can just load a local html file?

Make an .html file, store it somewhere on your PC and set it as your homepage. At least that's what I do.

Oh shit, simple as fuck. I forgot you can access local files with the browser. Fucking *facepalm*.

>What's everybody up to today?
still planning on creating my imageboard

is Jow Forums considered a "big" project?

Looking forward to seeing it made dude

thanks
For now, I will use PHP as a backend and using MVC paradigm (Laravel will help me with that).

>php
>in 2k+18.95
fucking why?

> "0" + "0" didn't.
??????????????
??????????
????????????????????????????

Attached: objeection.png (108x82, 1K)

function console(str) {
console.log(str);
}
console("00");

How do you charge local pizza shop owners for websites? My brother runs a contracting business, and I've seen him pull in $5000 for a paint job. Can I charge this much for a website with online ordering functionality?

you should dig, see what you can find, try to pull the numbers they'd be making and charge accordingly, at least one year of the total of the money they'd be making from that site

You just overwrote console.

Convenience & Maintenance. Having the back-end & front-end meet only at the API means either side is interchangeable.

Front-end + API
>Have to redesign UI and on a different framework
>Can literally just develop the new UI and use the same API, leaving the back-end completely untouched or be versioned to accommodate whatever new shit is needed.

>Moving to a better/faster/more reliable back-end technology
>Just use the same API's and copy over the data. The users wouldn't know any better because the UI stays exactly the same.

Not to mention it's easier to make asynchronous functionality this way.

Server-side rendering monolith e.g. LAMP/Rails/Django:
>Have to change x
>Have to develop and test everything at once.
>Tough shit if you have to move to a different technology. Practically starting from scratch.

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I guess the dev posts here so might as well post it here.

Would there be an easy way to extract posts/day data for select dates from this site 4stats.io/ ? Specifically I'm looking for the data around and at christmas (~19.12-30.12) to analyze traffic increases/decreases for different boards. This is to detect how many normies are on each board based on the logic that normies are more likely to spend their christmas with friends and family, and therefore have no time to post, while the others spend their christmas here. I'm pretty dumb with these kinds of things so I can't figure out anything else but looking them up manually and typing them down, but that would take ages to do for each board.

I don't often post here, but I see when the site is mentioned via find.Jow Forums.org

There is an API you can use to get the data.
Look at this here: github.com/Nocory/4stats-api#4stats-api
There are endpoints for the live stats, active threads and history.

Thanks. That makes it easy.

Do you guys have a quokka pro crack or key? I can't afford to have one. Only pro version supports file imports. Or any alternative for it?

What would you use

>hurr durr PHP is bad but i can't say why

get out idiot

>fucking why?
it's the only language I've learned along with a bit of JS.
If you or someone could give me a good reason of why I shouldn't use php, I will reconsider it.

watchu mean

Hey guys,

I started web-programming around a year ago. So far:
- I completed Colt Steele's web dev course on Udemy
- I've built a website that utilizes IMDB and TheMovieDatabase with a user-login where you can share movie/tv suggestions with friends
- Built a copy of Jow Forums
- Built a site that lets you host/admin over a play-by-email game. Has chat functionality, user accounts that track what games you are in, and how fast you are likely to take your turns.
- Built a static-paid-website for a local laundromat/fluff and fold. Once they get wifi, they've asked me to incorporate a page that lets people select the music being played if they are locally logged in.

I've done all of this with basic HTML, CSS, and JS utilitizing Node and AJAX. I've become familiar with git and started incorporating it. I just started a class on React.

Curious what I should be doing after this? Is there a point where you are more or less ready to start for a job? I still feel woefully unprepared when I look at others code.

Sup Jow Forums? I've been learning web dev (self taught) the past two months and have moved past HTML and CSS and am on JavaScript. I getting the basics of OOP in JS. Having come from a background where I was mostly using classed based static programming languages (C++ and Javascript), the proto-type based OOP of JS and its weird quirks, like having to define all properties in a constructor, without allowing local class properties is thus very strange to me.

I'm going to do a bit of practice work with it, but I'm wondering how much in the real world JS is used for OOP, specifically in terms of prototypes, classes, and inheritance. In the daily work of a full stack or back end web dev (my job goal for next year), are you using these features much or do you mostly do that with Ruby, Python, etc.?

Thanks, Jow Forums.

you are prepared my man, at least for a junior position you are, more than prepared I'd say, but keep on learning

windowscentral.com/microsoft-building-chromium-powered-web-browser-windows-10

Have you chuckle-heads discussed the implications of this on the power dynamics of the W3C committees / working groups?

JavaScript is already the new C. Programs are being rewritten in the UNIX language JavaScript, just like they were rewritten from Fortran, Pascal, and other languages into C in the 80s and 90s. The C weenies had to "reinvent" threads and asynchronous programming too, even though they were important features of PL/I, Ada, and other languages many years earlier. C and JavaScript are being used in ways they were never intended for because incompetent "decision makers" believe the availability of "cheap" "programmers" overrides all other concerns. They think 15,600 interchangeable weenies are better than a few good programmers.

Attached: ba26b07a77f4a7ce7580aa358cd68a484e1312d08ca07d0957708d9ed6438dbd.png (639x842, 122K)

Did you even read your code? Get you shit together, user.

what is this?
I just started learning how to code and I don't understand why is it impactful Microshit is creating another web browser

there already have been threads on this

Just use Vue, it's opinionated but better put together

PLEASE RESPOND

For front-end, React uses lots of classes. Components are often classes.

Actual OOP in JS is almost never used.

React doesn't use inheritance in any real sense, it's all composition. Knowing OOP to learn react would be a massive waste of time, especially with hooks around the corner.

Built a libertarian blog platform. The users, the upload script, commenting system, rating system, algorithm for sorting, etc. Keep getting banned for shilling my site cuz I believe in it.

People have given me advice on here, I have followed some of it but not all of it. Had gotten to the point where I am posting one article a day Monday through Friday and sharing the shit out of it.

1stAmender.com

Also. Yeah my site isn't this fancy CSS3.0 shit but it works. I want to work on the design more but not sure where to improve. No I'm not pulling some template, I'de rather make it myself.

Newest article:
1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1424

Attached: file.png (800x800, 809K)

Thankfully because of posting my articles every day I've gotten over 100 views every day since. It keeps growing and slowly gaining traction with content I write.

Anyone who's familiar with Angular Material know how I can increase the overal size of a card?

>Angular
no one uses that

keep up the good work.
does your website is SEO friendly? that shit can increase your page rank

>no one uses that
Apparantly my school thinks people do.

>install a global package with yarn
>realise my mistake
>try to uninstall global package
>"Ooopsie poopsie something went wrong :((((((((( yarn did a poopoopeee! See our site for more!

Where are yarn global packages located in a filesystem?

>going to school for web technology
Ya fucked up.

`which `

It's not just web technology lad. This just happens to be a project we got.

Have you tried not using Windows?

Thanks user. As far as I know it is SEO friendly but there is always something that can be done to help improve searches.

I just wanna get a job programming, got myself to an OK level on html and css and to a decent one on Javascript, what's next?

back end and after that javascript frameworks, and after that back end frameworks

you're hired

hell no. what they make it irrelevant, with local biz you're competing with them just making a squarespace or going to a wordpress farm that charge $500 for setup. you have to undercut that, and then make your money charging $50/hr for continuing support when they want to make small changes later

Im already using Vue for some basic stuff, would it be wise to go on a path like:

Php > Node > React

I would also start reading some side stuff like mongodb, sql, and get a little more used to git.

On the other hand, I've seen that on most jobs, specially when it comes to front end, sass and less are a little bit of a common denominator, should I add those to my list?

trips of truth

>should I add those to my list?
probably, just know how to use them, don't prioritize them too much, you are pretty much ready for a job imo.

Learn a back-end besides node.js and you should be good.

Any good tutorial that will teach me how to make a web app with java?
I'm looking to create a browser-based online game

LibGDX is a Java game framework, and one of its export options is for browsers.

You might need some general web app knowledge for your netcode, but a lot that knowledge isn't really necessary for regular web apps and vice versa, so I'm not sure how much help most tutorials and backed frameworks would be.

Try using force

You'd just have to run a curl or something for every search on every site, parse the html response and then coerce it to a common format for your site. It's not difficult to do, just takes a lot of work, and those sites may block you, though there are ways around that

should i learn phoenix/elixir or is it a meme?
i worked with php and django in the past

Attached: logo.png (64x64, 4K)

Usually in your users root folder

Any Django developers have a recommendation for a good overview? I've done a fair bit of Flask development and looking to jump into Django.

to adhere to company standards
github.com/airbnb/javascript

my 'surprise me' feature had a bug that didn't add anything new in 11 months and now I have to manually go through thousands of pages to get them.

Attached: waat.jpg (402x720, 55K)

I'm blazing through Mozilla's MDN. Everything else seemed too cringy. Any advice on where to look next?

>Further resources
Yeah saw it, it's basically a repost of beginner resources lmao. But seriously, any tips would be great! I'm already with a lot of the tools for this and have programmed a small amount prior to this, so it's been fun speed running MDN.

Attached: templeOS.jpg (200x150, 5K)

Did you follow the node and python installations properly?

What are some good 'data science' (for lack of a better term) resources? I wanna learn more about APIs and scraping content. The best I've found yet is: datasciencecourse.org/lectures/

Who are you talking to?

Attached: 1cba67aae-663d-4ab2-955a-a33c5ec14dc7.jpg (374x480, 25K)

yeah, you're using python3+. print statements must be incased in brackets,

print print("%s.%s. %s." % (sys.version_info[:3]))