/spg/ - Smartphone General

Industry BTFO edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: blind-camera-poll.jpg (1050x600, 78K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsuite.google.com/learning-center/products/mobile/switch-from-ios/#!/section-4-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I wish pocomeme was waterproof

Why do you need more than 32GB of storage on a phone

i think the reason is mainly photos and useless apps that keep getting bigger, especially gaymes

Updates.

Because streaming and cloud storage is for fags

>using a 16GB Nexus 5
>back up all my photos
>stream all my music
>don't play meme games
>always have 6GB free
I really don't get it

128*

>inb4 that samshill who bought a S9 throws a fit again

Downloading and storing files is for fags

Pretty much this
Unless you live in some shit country with shit internet connection, there's no reason to have hundreds GB storage. And some fags are crying about phones dropping SD support, like it fucking matters

Looking for a place to buy a Poco F1 to replace my Iphone 6s. Amazon has them for $330 in the US but I feel I can get it cheaper somewhere else.

Anyone know? Also what are some things I need to know about the Poco F1?

Attached: 7587f363718c784cb3d0f55d8877aced.png (446x610, 517K)

Best phablet to get for a blind boomer? Cheaper/bigger the better.

Attached: 1523422566620.jpg (759x508, 110K)

It has huge battery and flagship tier specs that will keep it relevant for next 4-5 years. Shits all over $1200 iPhone in terms of speed. Camera is okay, gets good with Gcam
That's all you need to know. Poco is MVP of 2018

That you're likely to have shit coverage if in the US because Pocomeme doesn't cover US bands. See the Mix 2s or Mi 8 for xiaomemes that could work for burgers.

I have Cricket which is AT&T. I don't see how a phone itself will cause bad coverage.

Best place to buy one right now for US?

moto G6

if the phone itself doesn't pick up the bands your network supports then it won't work, and the Pocophone doesn't support but ONE LTE band in the US

What LTE brand is that? I could always change service.

>everyone has the same use case as I do
Whats not to understand? Also:
>arguing in favor of less features
Come on.

the LTE BAND, not brand, is Band 5 and that's used by many
the problem is it doesn't support the other main bands like 2,4 or 12/13/17
switching carriers isn't going to help you

I see. Well, I took a look at the mix 2 and it seems decent enough. Anything I need to know? And sorry for being retarded, I just don't often buy cellphones.

Also, to clarify, my budget is under $400. And $400 is pushing it.

Mi Mix 2S if you want notchless and LCD screen
Mi 8 is you want a notch and OLED screen
if that's pushing it then get a Nokia 7.1

Mix 2s and Xiao 8 are out of my price range.

Nokia 7.1 looks nice, and I like the idea of AndroidOne but they seem to be out of stock literally everywhere.

Reminder that OP pic is not authentic

I'm not advocating for removing features, I just think they should be kept to where they are appropriate, e.g. I don't need a SCART cable on my smartwatch, I don't need a headphone jack on my calculator, and I don't need excessive storage on my phone. I just think it's silly to dismiss good phones on the grounds of them not having a feature that can be substituted ridiculously easy and most won't even use. Replaceable batteries would be a far more important feature than lots of storage or expandable storage in my opinion, yet no one seems to complain about them dying off completely.

order from Best Buy

B&H Photo (bhphotovideo.com) has the 7.1 in stock.

welcome to the US smartphone market
pretty shitty, huh?

what's not authentic about it? It's pulled straight from the video

It's the 99% of use cases, viewing the pictures uploaded to a social media website. I'm sure if you're printing them and making a gallery reviewed by professionals you'd get a different result but that's not how most photos are consumed.

Ordered a d-brand skin for my poco on the 17th and it still isn't here >:(

Does D-brand not offer tracking?

5$ for international no tracking, would've costed as much as the skin for tracking.

quit bitching, I ordered a Mofi case a week ago and it isn't scheduled to arrive until Jan 2

Got the 128 giggle version for $327 with fast shipping and insurance from Gearbest on a recent sale.

It's splash proof, more than enough protection from water unless you're planning to go swimming or showering with it.

Poco works on ATT so should work on Cricket. Won't get 4G everywhere, but not a huge deal IMO, especially since Cricket throttles my 4g LTE anyway.

Literally this. The amount of times I've taken a picture with my phone and professionally edited it close to zero. Amount of times I've taken with phone and posted it is lotsa times. Beats out the iPhone on Instagram? Good enough for me. Lulz

Is the issue with Netflix and other streaming services not being able to stream HD resolved?

Attached: Capture.jpg (302x774, 33K)

Cricket also uses AT&T towers.

Mi max, any of them desu

except B5

Alright so I've narrowed down my search to the Nokia 7.1

Give me some shit I might need to know about.

Coming from an iphone 6S, how much of a headache is this going to be?

Attached: nokia_7_1-recommended-blue.png.jpg (400x480, 20K)

>Ting 0
no!! I wanted to use ting with a poco. what do i do now...

Attached: 860.png (368x469, 236K)

BAHHHHHH NO GOOD PHONES

Or should I just get a Mix 2. FUCK I CAN'T DECIDE.

Attached: thumb_87443_default_big.png (614x712, 374K)

no headphone jack kills it for me. don't know if the nokia has one

Nokia for clean android and updates for 2-3 years
Mi Mix 2 for stronger SoC and custom ROMs

I think the AndroidOne wins it for me. My only worry now is compatibility with my Phantom 3 pro drone. That's another issue though. I don't really care about ROM's.

if it supports android/has an android app it will work

That's not the issue. The issue is the controller for the drone. It has to connect to the phone and I was reading that Nokia phones are notorious for weird USB problems interfacing with outside peripherals.

then get a Motorola for fucks sake

Im completely illiterate and out of the loop. What's a good Motorola you would recommend?

Nokia 7.1 is bone stock Android and easy to use out of the box. I haven't even bothered to customize mine at all since getting it, which is weird because I usually spend hours fucking around with that shit. I think I've just stopped caring. Anyway, the only big problem that you'll have with migration is if you're heavily locked into iCloud. You'll want to start the migration from iCloud to Google before you get an Android by following this guide: gsuite.google.com/learning-center/products/mobile/switch-from-ios/#!/section-4-1

The other problem is if you have a lot of paid apps. I don't think that anyone will let you transfer licenses from iOS to Android, although I guess it's worth asking them anyway.

If you do wind up getting the 7.1, make sure to get a case. The bare phone is slippery as hell. I have Nokia's clear case and it's breddy gud.

Moto Z2 Force for >$300 on eBay
Moto X4 64GB Android One on Google Fi
Moto Z3 Play is on sale on Moto's website as well

Just dropped my moto g2 and the screen broke.
Do I get picture related for ~20€ or upgrade ?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1000x1000, 96K)

I don't use icloud at all except for photos (which I externally backup anyways) and paid apps are whatever for me. I don't mind buying some things again and everything I need is on playstore. I was more or less forced to get a 6s when I used to have a Galaxy 5 and it fucked up.

Ill look at these, thanks.

Don't laugh.

The Nokia does. Its internal DAC is a little weaksauce. It can drive my Q701s and my Beyer Byrons, but just barely in both cases. If you have higher impedance headphones, you'll need an external amp. No distortion when I crank it all the way up tho.

Nope, still an issue. I don't use Netflix though. Also doesn't matter much cause if I stream at home it's usually on a tablet or my TV. And on the go, cricket throttles videos to 480p.

get a moto x4 or z2

Literally no phones worth buying. None, not one. What a shitshow, it's not the same with PC building. I fucking wish we could build our own phones, I hope that day comes in the future.

I'm curious, is there a NewPipe equivalent on iOS? Something that lets me download from YouTube that is.

Wait...the Galaxy S9 can't be rooted?

Only reason i want to fix the display is to get my data/chat backups from the phone.
Is there a way to screen mirror or anything ?

XZ Premium

qcom s8150 when?

>wireless charging
>bluetooth
>FTP server applications

why dont they do away with usb C ports in phones and go fully wireless?

>4k display
it'll eat up my battery lad

S8150 phones will come out in Feb-March.

niceeee

how likely is the note 9s price to drop between now and feburary when i will likely get my tax refund?

Blackberry better that iPhone XS? Interesting.

I FUCKING HATE PAJEETS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I JUST WANT A ROM THAT ISN'T FUCKING BROKEN

sorry i dont have the energy to comew
up with pajeet speak right now

XZ1

I don't understand how androidone is a pro, isn't it google botnet certifying your phone? all your hardware guaranteed backdoored? would rather have the chinese looking in on me than my own country

Apple can't into wireless charging, otherwise it would have been done already

it was in the iPhone 10 moron

And it was too slow and didn't come with a wireless charger in the pack. As long as they are stingy with the components and equipment it's not happening. Also it's X not 10 you brainlet.

Stay away from Poco garbage. You will have terrible reception.

Go to cellmapper.net to find out what bands are used. Forget 2 and 3G. Both are being abolished and being replaced with 4G voice over LTE.

It doesn't.

Poco will give you shit coverage anywhere in the Americas.

What would you recommend for a sub $400 phone then? I narrowed my search to the Nokia 7.1 but I am not really sold. I don't have to have anything crazy new but what I do need is as large of a screen as possible (I do drone photography with my phone)

I have Cricket (at&t) service btw.

I have a redmeme note 4, absolutely loving it
Is there anyway to have ARcore work properly on this phone? There is a method: use magiskhide prop config to pretend you have an AR compatible phone, then just download AR apps. It works, however after turning off the screen ARcore stops working until you restart the phone. Basically you can only use AR once every restart

>wireless
limited bandwidth, limited distance, power efficiency, latency, interference
cant be solved in one day

considering Note 8 only dropped around 30% after almost year and a half, i wouldnt expect 9 to go more than 10% in 2 months.

but bl;uetrooth works fine for most things people do witrh their phones most others things can be done via FTP faster then through a usb 2.0 connection

Use stock idiot

Is it good enough for IG photography
that faggot photo test from the OP doesn't show the XZ1

I'm getting the Mate 20 Pro for free lads.

Going to feel good.

here's your (You), fucking attention whore, now tell us more

Like what?

I just ordered it, getting the Twilight 128GB one.

How is it free? Is your company paying for it or what

Yeah my work will foot the bill.

How much did it cost them anyway

£899.00