Yo. Quick question

Yo. Quick question.
So, I currently have intel based mobo and intel cpu and I want to switch to amd ryzen. Do I need to format my drives and install fresh windows or can I boot from my old drives?

Attached: wQTNUEH.jpg (720x719, 30K)

Yes

You need to install it again since windows installs hardware-specific drivers when you install it.

No.
Seriously. Don't be a fucking twig. No need to format and reinstall anything.

You don't have to, I literally just did what you described and was able to boot into Windows installed on my old drive
I did a fresh install anyway just to be safe tho

Thanks guys. Im waiting for my xmass bonus and buying ryzen 5 2600. Any recomendation for "budget" mobo?

windows 10 is much better than previous versions at dealing with this.

good chance it may work.

>ryzen 5 2600
If you wait like 3 months you can get a 3600 instead.

install gentoo

>needs a bonus to buy a $150 cpu
lol fucking poor people are so pathetic

Try living in balkans with 500 euro monthly salary you filthy casual

Don't buy now, wait a couple of months for the ryzen 3000 series

whyy is mr bean on grove street?

Hey Serbro. 400 euros per month here. Life is hell.

Wait for zen2

If you cannot wait, or don;t mind a quick upgrade turnaround, the ASRock Pro4s are all great. I beleive the x370 Pro4m is like $70 right now.

don't repost my image without my permission you fucking THIEF

You can boot from the old drives, the question is whether or not you should. Windows will likely need to be reactivated and it is very likely you will be missing drivers for the new board. You may also end up with a fucked Windows install. If you have a lot of shit installed it's probably worth a try, make sure everything is backed up like it would be if you were going to do a fresh install before you do it though. Then, if it doesn't work you can just do a fresh install over top of it.

If you're running a modern version of Windows, you can keep your current install just fine. May have to reactivate though, but that's that.

>it is very likely you will be missing drivers for the new board
Windows will detect the new board and install the appropriate drivers on first boot.
This has been an automatic thing since Windows 7, though 8.1 and 10 are both much better at handling it than 7 was. In fact you could even move a Windows XP install between motherboards though this required manually installing all the appropriate drivers for the new motherboard.

How do you think all the various tech reviewers manage to keep a single SSD for their benchmarking ? They don't reinstall Windows every time they have to test out a new motherboard or CPU.

>Or he could wait like 14 months and get himself a 4600.
You can wait yourself to death, too.

>This has been an automatic thing since Windows 7
Windows 7 could usually boot properly after swapping motherboards or without manual driver installation and that was about it. I have never witnessed Windows 7 automatically installing drivers for anything that wasn't a USB device.

>They don't reinstall Windows every time they have to test out a new motherboard or CPU
I don't know how all reviewers do it but the correct way would be to create a generic image and clone it for each machine, and with SSDs this wouldn't take much time. Otherwise I would worry about previous driver installations and configuration tweaks fucking with my benchmarks.

3 months is perfectly fine of a wait for something you will keep for years. And Zen2 is going to be really good. 3 months ARE WORTH THE WAIT.

Feels bad man

Attached: 46884379_930922003765292_4838896368275685376_n.jpg (540x391, 29K)