Alternative OS Thread

This thread is for the discussion of operating systems that aren't Linux, Windows, OS X, Android, or iOS. Every other operating system is welcome.

Some interesting systems include:
>OpenBSD
>NetBSD
>OpenIndiana
>Solaris
>Haiku
>ReactOS
>MINIX
>QNX
>SculptOS
>MacOS 1-9
>IRIX
>SkyOS
>Oberon
>TempleOS
>AROS
>MorphOS
>OS/2 Warp
>9front
>OpenVMS
>VxWorks
>NeXTSTEP

Attached: 1539752185035.jpg (518x505, 142K)

Your not going to get any replies, as noone actually uses any of these.

>all those absolute memes
>not plan 9, the successor of unix by unix creators
saged

>Linux
>Android
Are the same thing.
>OS X
>iOS
Are the same thing.
>Windows
>ReactOS
Are the same thing.
>OpenBSD
>NetBSD
Are the same thing.
>OpenIndiana
>Solaris
Are the same thing.
>OS/2 Warp
So no pre-v3 OS/2s?

>plan 9
>9front
Are the same thing.

This. If it's not meme, it's not on Jow Forums.

I'm genuinely interested about how far Redox will go

All of those systems have significant differences. Are you baiting or are you actually retarded? Do you really believe for a second that ReactOS, which is designed specifically from scratch using zero NT code, is Windows? Never visit Jow Forums ever again, brainlet.

Attached: Op+is+a++_74292f96372f43b3c45180cbedc620c7.jpg (400x497, 74K)

>>OpenBSD
>>NetBSD
>>OpenIndiana
>>Solaris
>>Haiku
>>ReactOS
>>MINIX
>>QNX
>>SculptOS
>>MacOS 1-9
>>IRIX
>>SkyOS
>>Oberon
>>TempleOS
>>AROS
>>MorphOS
>>OS/2 Warp
front
>>OpenVMS
>>VxWorks
>>NeXTSTE

they all died in the 1970s

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>not mentioning AmigaOS

It's actually still developed by some random meme companies at a snail's pace.

Attached: x5000-2.jpg (1800x1350, 667K)

Did you know that if you all killed yourselves right now that no one would miss you? Don't post in my thread if you have nothing original or even mildly interesting to contribute, you soulless subhuman NPCs. Thanks.

Don't know if you missed it but I posted AROS and MorphOS. The pic you posted looks like MorphOS to me. Who develops AmigaOS anymore? I thought the platform was dead.

Attached: npc.png (1083x1128, 51K)

Not only is the AmigaOS at version 4.1 now, but there's also another literallywho company that uses discontinued PowerPC processors nobody else wants anymore to manufacture dedicated hardware for the system. Those new "Amigas" are hardly anything more than obsolete trash, cost like $2k and you can run AmigaOS, MorphOS or some Linux distros that still support PPC on them. Such cases.

Attached: amigaos4_full.jpg (1920x1080, 416K)

Interesting. Is there any reason why they don't just port the OS to ARM or something? A Raspberry Pi has to be more than enough to run an OS that old.

No hurd?

>Is there any reason why they don't just port the OS to ARM or something?
because they are faggits
how can you sell pretense on a cheap $5 computer?

hurd is a kernel, you can use either it or the linux kernel along with the GNU operating system to get a GNU OS such as debian, arch, fedora etc

Hurd is not linux, thanks for proving my point, gnu/hurd is full distro that is not listed in op

op was not listing kernels, he was listing full systems, except he mistakenly refered to gnu as "linux" in his introduction
there would be no reason for op to list hurd in his list because it's just one of the possible gnu kernels, and he specifically said he wants to know OSes other than gnu, windows and mac os

And yet half of what he listed is gnu, missing the pure gnu experience free from linux bloat

yes, but he listed entire different distros of GNU, not their kernels

Mainly this.

Also serious problems with backward compatibility with classic Amiga soft from the era of Motorola 68k on anything other but PPC.

>hurd is a kernel, you can use either it or the linux kernel along with the GNU operating system to get a GNU OS such as debian, arch, fedora etc
Good luck with that, all you can run is cli experience of gnu/hurd on very specific hardware, try hurd/fedora lol

He said anything that is not linux and then started listing linux based oses, kill thyself op

I once used OpenBSD for several days, actually.

What happened next?

I went back to GNU/Linux

Same. Quit impressive what it can do already. Makes much more sense to have a microkernel and the license is better than Linux.

>Rust
into the trash

Does anyone here have experience with netbsd?

How do i flash neurotypical firmware to my brain so i feel no need to use any of these?

I adore NetBSD. What do you want to know?

Wanna get into it, buddy. I've tried once but console and pkgin were unbearably slow. Ya have any good material for beginners?