Don't suffer from Shiny New Stuff Syndrome

The reason that Debian Stable is so reliable is because software is extensively tested and bug-fixed before being included. This means that the most recent version of software is often not available in the Stable repositories. But it doesn't mean that the software is too old to be useful!

Before attempting to install the newest version of some software from somewhere other than the Debian Stable repositories, here are some things to keep in mind:

- Debian backports security fixes and new features, judging software by comparing the version number of the Debian package to the upstream version number does not take this into account.
- The latest version of the software you're trying to use might also have new bugs.
- Installing software from places other than official Debian repositories are not covered by Debian' Security team.

Attached: a.png (2000x2483, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=W8_WLmXFYrY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Based debianposter
For some people their os not breaking means they have to do something productice instead and they just cant stand the idea.

Okay but what about when some platform or application starts depending on a version that hasn't been incorporated yet forcing you to do an ugly manual update? I love Debian and Linux but don't pretend like the repo system is perfect

I've got Debian Stable on my desktop (2012 MacMini), it's a great workhorse distro, only, it just doesn't excite or interest me, so I'm always itching to distro hop. Playing with Gentoo on my antique laptop, it's a lot of fun.

Attached: 1543949873495.jpg (383x384, 28K)

I've ran testing for a decade and you can't stop me

libing on the edg

>Systemd
>Stable

Pick one.

>hurr durr debian is stable
Yet something as simple as installing different versions for the same package leads to apt dependency hell.
Plus, Debian got Poettering'd because it was the shiny and new thing.

Install Gentoo.

>something as simple as installing different versions for the same package
There's nothing simple about that, and you should almost never need to do it, but chroots and debootstrap can surely provide such functionality.

>There's nothing simple about that
On Debian.
>you should almost never need to do it
Maybe you want to have a stable system and only a few bleeding edge packages?
>chroots and debootstrap
Why would I want to bother myself with that nonsense?

for stability, security, and rapid deployment of a pre-compiled system

Nice buzzword salad post.

>waste time fixing OS issues
>waste time getting a non repo app working
Pick one. Also there's a broken YouTube dl package because they refuse to let anyone maintain it fast enough to fix YouTube breaking it.

Debian gave cancer to my pc

>don't suffer from shiny new stuff syndrome
>jumps to adopt systemd
rly makes u thonk

based

Attached: 15421233435433.gif (123x116, 286K)

Nice, faggot.
Now give me kernel drivers for my Surface 3. And tell me why debian is the only distribution where audio works on the Surface 3.

The adoption of systemd was "sysvinit is shit and needs to be replaced" syndrome

I just use Debian sid/"unstable" and it just werks
Literally never had anything break and I get up to date packages

>shit and needs to be replaced
>use something worse instead
That's pretty much a glaring example of "shiny new thing" syndrome.

I can't remember a single complaint about sysv until systemd showed up..

They were definitely not overblown to get people to use systemd.

ex distrohopper here.
you fucks should just let the children play.

play kids, jump from disto to disto like a bee from flower to flower and you'll learn something along the way.

i'm too old for that shit and been using debian for nearly a decade now. it works just fine.

thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=W8_WLmXFYrY

imagine using debian for a decade

Attached: thinkin_bout_uncomfortable_things.png (576x832, 446K)

what is wrong with that
just keep it updated and use a modern DE, the underlying core of Debian is perfectly fine

>throwing software in repos and leaving it there for a decade magically makes it stable
>the state of debiantards

I've used debian and ubuntu longer, even. I have a debian box with +700 days uptime, it's just deploy and forget, its so good

Brainlet detected.

>bleeding edge! Wow!
>kernel 4.19 wow!
>imagine using out of date software that isnt updated with bloat every week. Yikes!

Attached: 1515979470095.png (632x756, 26K)

Ah, another wonderful argument.