Top 10 linux distros of the 2018 year

top 10 linux distros of the 2018 year.

Attached: top 10.png (315x262, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/comp.os.minix/wlhw16QWltI/PsAJDusEG6wJ
distrowatch.com/dwres.php?waitingdistro=462&resource=links#new
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

DistroWatch's methodology is trash. No one actually takes it seriously.

I always thought Manjaro and Mint were only DEs.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

This. Alpine may run in a gazillion VMs, but of course the people preparing those VMs aren't all going to distrowatch and click "Alpine".

And the people who have been running their RHEL or Gentoo install for 10 years also obviously don't.

That said, Distrowatch itself publishes this fact itself:
> correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.

>"The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more."

I dont know people who really use gentoo or arch seriously. All people use manjaro or ubuntu.

Non-meme tier starting at #6.

So what's better again? Antergos or manjaro?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Android, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Bionic corelibs, Toybox utilities and other open source software comprising a full OS designed for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

Many users run a proprietary version of the Android system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Android which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Android system, developed by Google.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Android operating system: the whole system is basically Android with Linux added, or simply Android. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Android.

Attached: 1544793763536.gif (350x272, 689K)

Linux is a kernel.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

Attached: keke.png (639x349, 158K)

>Fedora
>Solus
>Not meme
Uh

see

Wow top 10 distros only have 16k combined users worldwide.
Thats pretty bad.

>As has been noted (not only by me), the linux kernel is a miniscule part of a complete system.
>Linus, groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/comp.os.minix/wlhw16QWltI/PsAJDusEG6wJ

>manjaro chad distro number one
>3k downloads/per second

Holy shit you're a fucking moron. Those are just page clicks on distrowatch website. That has no relation to actual real world usage. How can people be THIS retarded in 2019.

Fuck off retard. It's just the representation of a click counter on distrowatch. This website should be purged simple because of this shit.

I didn't mention arch and it's unrelated to Gentoo.

But sure, you'd see Alpine VMs and RHEL and Gentoo more on the server side than with the Manjaro / Ubuntu desktop user crowd.

Of course some people also use Ubuntu for servers, but I don't get that crowd. I personally had way more issues with Ubuntu server's upstream fuckups than with anything else I ever considered for such use.

alpine use only docker kids.

distrowatch.com/dwres.php?waitingdistro=462&resource=links#new

ITT: brainlets believing clickcounters

RHEL is for retards too stupid to use CentOS.

That's the number of dowloads for each one or the score?

GNU/Linux*

see you utter gheynignog

Read the thread you braindead retard. Distrowatch simply counts article clicks.

Sure, it's mostly used with Docker. Which however is used a lot.

CentOS is not actually as well-maintained as RHEL.

And the usual use for a server distro isn't to prove to yourself/others that you're "cleverer", but just to host software as required.

anyone here still use Void?

No

the top linux distro of the 2018 year is android

How did Manjaro become so popular? Is it really a better distro for newcomers than Linux Mint?

Attached: Yot_0.jpg (195x261, 47K)

Because it just works

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-15 01-44-18.png (2408x1182, 164K)

Why is gentoo so low? Is it due to a lack of releases or what?

CentOS uses the same source as RHEL just with branding removed

No, and shitstrowatch results are just for searches started on their domain, so it's easy to rig. Automate it in python and make debian first with 30k searches tomorrow.

The GNU in GNU/LInux is the implicit admission of failure on the FSF never getting HURD off the ground.

And they spend more time interjecting than programming which is why one twentysomething programmer is writing a new microkernel OS from scratch.

And FSF is not there. And it shall never be GNU/Redox-OS. Never.

More like the other way.

In case you're banned while rigging those numbers, use a proxy list.

Calm down breh, its just machines numbers ;^)

>Anonymous
manjaro is DE for Arch but mint is a DE for ubuntu with the spyware removed

>all those meme distros

Who the fuck uses anything other than Debian or RHEL/CentOS for production?

Or is this the meme "desktop" distros chart?

Archfags and Gentoofags on suicide watch.

LMAO MANJARO TRIGGERING ARCHFATSOS LIKE ALWAYS, FUCKING BASED

Attached: 1540493677479.jpg (237x213, 7K)

This desu

probably the worst year for linuxcucks
I hope it gets worse

>CentOS for production
>gcc 5.0
Who use this outdated retarded distro?

Attached: 30229b386292184e5239632fee83d1ed.jpg (397x391, 68K)

that are not the actual users
the number only shows how often its viewed on distrowatch

the community editions are nice

manjaro is arch based...

do you even understand what a DE is?
gnome/kde/xfce.... that are DE's

Kind of like Mint with an Arch base instead of Ubuntu

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary.

But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available.

Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use.

In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man - without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth.

And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function.

My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

May as well just stay legal, run the Windows drivers, and run Office on the desktop instead of the linus.

>Manjaro
>includes Microsoft fucking office by default
>has steam by default
It's trash