/sbcg/ - Single Board Computer General

Third installment od /sbcg/, today's main topic is... *SoM* aka System on Module. What are some of your favorites, did you use those.. anything.

Also general discussion:
>QnA
>SW & HW helpdesk
>What's best board for...
>Any other shit related

*News*
>Nvidia unveils cheaper 4GB version of its Jetson TX2 and
>ClearFog CX 8K supports 2x 10Gb Ethernet

Attached: rpi CM3.jpg (1920x1075, 170K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Compatibility
makezine.com/2017/09/07/secure-your-raspberry-pi-against-attackers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have a question: why? What does that add to an existing computer?

Welp technically this is standalone computer. The board it connects to is just it's GPIO breakout board.. so you dont have to solder wires onto those tiny pads.

SoMs like Compute Module from rpi are the full computers itself. They are great for embedded design in low/mid quantity production. Usually the come with all necessary certs and have LTS. So instead of creating your own controller from scratch, just put that little boy inside. Simpler and faster

The idea is that you can cluster a bunch of them together with a breakout board like said. The form factor is just because it makes it cheaper and easier to produce breakout boards with readily available components.

Attached: 1537225026717.gif (540x540, 1.18M)

I started another thread because I'm retarded. I'm planning on doing a custom portable emulation box and I need to find an SBC for it and I was thinking of using the LattePanda Alpha 800. It's a little expensive at 300 USD, but is there anything else that I should look at first? My only requirements are being able to do at least Gamecube emulation and preferably thin to make it fit better.

Attached: Lattepanda alpha.jpg (900x600, 114K)

digits good

For GC emulation you probably need to stick with x86. You can consider ASRock J5005-ITX or ODROID-H2. Even with 4GB of RAM they should be cheaper.

Intel NUC is also an option

GC emulation is alright on android at this point, PS2 is the one that pretty much requires x86

Checked

UDOO Bolt is supposed to release in 2019. It'll be a Ryzen based SBC with Vega graphics \. Thus, it should be much better than any Intel SBC in terms of graphics. So time permitting you might want to look into that.

Holy shit that penta 2's.
Also, Panda is nice but expensive as fuck. Look for Odroid H2 or Udoo X86.

What are Jow Forums's thoughts on Onion's Omega 2? I ordered 2 of them few days ago.

I want a gameshell.

What do you mean by android?

On ARM, popular Allwinner H3 struggles to emulate N64. RK3399 should be ok, but it costs like other x86 boards. Intel GPUs at least have stable GNU/Linux drivers with 3D/video acceleration.

>design sbc intended to run linux
>build it with the one brand of wifi chip that is guaranteed to give you driver issues

Attached: 1514383215500.jpg (512x512, 24K)

Wish umpc where still a thing since tablets flopped and laptops are all thin shit
Would be neat to see mobile phone tech shoved in a bigger case with a keyboard

ESP8266 for the win, lmao

Yeah, those were cool as fuck. Maybe someone will bring retro-styled one. Or design your own, good platform will be RPi zero W.

bump, ama :))

That looks really enticing, and I have all the time in the world but I have to plan everything else around the board (screen, case, controller sticks and buttons, battery). Thanks user.

Been trying to find an sbc that -actually--supports vulkan for ages now

I think that new UDOO Bolt v3 and v8 should support Vulkan, as they'll have Vega3 and Vega8 graphics.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Compatibility

see here's the thing.

i see a lot of boards that say "supports vulkan 1.0" but then the actual operating system does not support it at all and no drivers exist for it

Is there any way to connect 6+ sata disks to a sbc?

why the fuck would you do that..
if you don't care about speed, then get SATA to USB cable, USB hub and connect it to hub.. if you do, then i am not aware of any SBC nor SoC supporting this number of SATA ports. For 6, you would ideally need PCIe x16 slot, which is totally not available on any ARM CPU, and (if any) little x86 CPUs. And even if they are there, it's not guaranteed that SBC manufacturer will provide it. So only throught USB.

They're great, OP. We've been making our own for 10 years now, nice to see the market catching up.

This will give you 4 more if you have a slot

Attached: ctrlr.jpg (457x400, 29K)

Does anybody know which SBC had eMMC slot first?

>why the fuck would you do that..
NAS?

Get cheap C2Q od i3 with mITX/mATX mobo, RAID card and gigabit eth card, and you are good to go. It´ll cost a bit more than SBC, but you´ll have far more better support for everything, better speeds and if anything goes bad, you just replace it, like in normal PC/server. Oh, and you can upgrade :))

>making a NAS with an SBC
enjoy having no fucking options and shit speeds

I've been considering building a sort of server blade system with SoMs. Mainly to practice configuration management, and perhaps server life cycles if these cute things can pxe boot.

Only reason I haven't look more into it is because aside from Web/database servers, and the relatively cheap learning experience, I'm not sure what they'd really get used for. Especially when I currently have Web/database met by VMs.

External RAID enclosure or a SATA multiplier

Yeah, i was thinking the same few months ago, but really, their practical usage is basically zero. You can run some data analysis or use them as second low-power AI classifier, web/vpn server but that´s all. Also, it gets really expensive and it´s starting losing its computing power, as for same price you can get a lot more powerful x86 server. But, we all have to admit, it looks fucking cool and you can show yourself with it.

have 2 rpi b+; one for use, the other as backup.
used it as babbys first server for playing around and testing stuff until I decided to get a dedicated machine.
then I used it as a temporary machine for a light web server (basically web interface for local machine).
temp solution lasted for almost 2 years because there was no reason to upgrade until recently.
it's currently not in use, but I'll keep it for when I make something new.
will probably try some distributed erlang stuff next with 2 nodes.
or maybe as a bridge between my local network and some sensors hooked up to the gpio.

people who complain they don't know what to use them for are either just spoiled or have no hobbies.

I'm making a raspberry pi sandbox. I have gone through all the steps here:

>iptables
>change password for and delete default pi account
>key authentication SSH
Basically all the steps from makezine.com/2017/09/07/secure-your-raspberry-pi-against-attackers/
and:
>disabled wifi and bluetooth in every way I could find, even in boot config text file (firmware level).

I plan on running wireshark on the pi to log packets for USB devices and programs ran, and connect to the pi only through SSH over a direct ethernet connection to a computer (pi will not have open access to the internet). However in a preliminary test I found that wireshark on the pi is still able to capture packets from my computer sent over the ethernet interface.
Is there a way to prevent the monitoring computer from sending packets to the pi's ethernet interface? I also plan on bridging the ethernet connection to a hardened virtual machine so I can grab the logs from the pi. Will that keep whatever nasties end up on the pi, on the pi?

How would you guys go about using an sbc as an intermediary between your computer and USB? I'm going to be doing deaddrop exchanges and I don't want it to be linked to my computer directly, nor do I want to risk picking up nasties from foreign USBs.

>I want to talk to my pi but I also don't want to talk to my pi
the packets are encrypted, who gives a fuck

Any wifi enabled linux device or sbc. Configure it to open a secure ap upon boot. Connect usb to device, connect power to device, Connect to ap, ssh or vnc into device, manipulate usb data on device, don't download or run anything you're unsure about. Copy data to device, scp data from device to local storage. GG.

I was able to read strings like "dropbox" and "itunes" on the packets captured on the interface.

Orico USB enclosure.

But you'd probably want a SBC that supports UASP and preferably USB 3.1 Gen2 [fastest currently available]. Which definitely is not all SBC.

Finding that combined with the issue that the Orico enclosure actually isn't that cheap makes it often maybe more interesting to just build a regular x86_64 cube/midi tower or rackmount box.

> enjoy having no fucking options
There are quite a few options.

> shit speeds
Quite a few can ~saturate 1GBE from an attached drive which probably is the most likely requirement.

OP even had a SBC that has 2x 10GBE.

my orange pi zero came. the h5 is aarch64 with gbe. the h2 is just armv7l with 10/100. really good for headless stuff.

Attached: 154476629338976.jpg (2304x1728, 491K)

im using one as a cuteserver. dhcp, dns (pi hole), seedbox/torrents and samba. bretty good.

Attached: Selection_040.png (647x366, 153K)

Can you actually use more than one of those things on a single board? It doesn't seem so, so what's the fucking point?