I'm a Computer Engineering student and just got my first internship two weeks ago

I'm a Computer Engineering student and just got my first internship two weeks ago.
I basically just use Excel, Access and I will use PowerBI later.
Should I quit? Are these skills useful if I want to become a developer later?

Attached: excel.jpg (695x400, 15K)

Excel is a great calculator

Even if you are not a computer engineering student you should quit if you have to use Excel and Access.

>Are these skills useful if I want to become a developer later?
no, and you know this.

you're gonna be okay. whatever you're going through, you can get past it and see a better tomorrow. wounds will heal and if you really want to archieve something, whatever it might be, become more social, get a girl, a decent job and many more things, you can do it.

seriously, people are a lot better at dealing with shit coming their way than they think. take care my friend.

if they have you use BI to interface with some interesting db, maybe.

a lot of times interns get assignments that are pretty much "we have this ancient DB here and we need to pull data, figure it out".

you get a lot of freedom, time, and you can learn a lot, but id say its only useful only if you are interested in DB development, and no one sane is.

so fuck it. quit, and come suck dick in the alley like everyone else is.

Unless you have a better job lined up or the Excel job pays terribly, you should stick with it. When you complete your degree, companies like to see that you were able to get a corporate job even if it's bullshit. The reality is that most jobs are bullshit.

Furthermore, there may be opportunity for you in the seemingly stupid job to do some sort of software development. A lot of companies (most?) are so stupid that they recognize that a lot of things can be automated. Part of that is due to stupidity but part of it is due to political issues as people try to keep their jobs from being automated away.

Learn to read a situation and if the company's stupid, propose to automate and the company will view you very favorably.

If the job really does suck, do your best for your 3-4 month stint and seek a different internship next time. For most companies, newly-graduated hires are expected to be pretty clueless when it comes to getting real work done so "squandering" one summer/semester doing less than hard core work isn't going to harm you.

You will sadly have to use this shit. Excel will often be used for parsing CSV files, access.... Well.... I've only used it for shitty databases when an actual database wasn't required.

just use vba and you almost have c#

Use this job to know Excel and Power BI well, in the future it'll help you make arguments against using them.

In every job there is a need to analyse data and communicate learnings to others. Doesnt matter if its with Hadoop and Tableau, Spark and Jupyter, there is a general process you need to learn and become good at.

How are your stats skills btw?

Automate your job and then learn stuff on the side while you're "working"

Microsoft Excel is a Turing complete purely functional programing language. You're just not using it to its full potential.

Becoming a Excel power user is a great tool dont let any faggot tell you otherwise about learning macros.

Access on the other hand is one of the biggest pieces of shit that has ever existerd , imagine asking microsoft to beat your balls with a broken boot that ia access

ignore all the nerds, if you master excel you'll be everybody's best friend at the office.
ofc you need to balance it and don't become a bitch by doing people's work for them, but all the ladies will love you when you help them with their shitty spreadsheets and that help is easily noticed by higher ups.
and don't be like /g freetards who think excel is just something secretaries use - it's legit powerful tool for doing any number of useful shit at any company

This.

All the IT people in my department that studied in software or computer engineering have skills in excel.

Everyone in a business needs Excel skills. Otherwise, you'll make a fool of yourself.

Excel is probably the most important skill you can have for ANY job in an office.

Excel is the best software to be released (for general use)
so you need to at least know how to use it for nealy any job

People still use Excel? The only time I use Excel is when the ancient companies I do integration work give me their bloated Excel document with outdated information on it. And then when we tell them "this is useless" they give us a copy-pasted email which is apparently the only place that documentation about the code keys that they use in production exists. I thought it was just because the financial industry is full of old farts using systems and practices made in the 90s.

Internally we never use Excel. It's far too slow and clunky to share info and so you end up with 5 different people looking at 5 different versions of a file that became irrelevant 5 months ago.

The grand illusion of office work is that if you are proficient in some accessory technology or tool that is not the core business focus that you will be seen as some kind of wizard that will be saving the company money with your efficiency.

This is complete bullshit. In reality, almost nobody understands the ins-and-outs of tools like excel but since it's generally considered a requirement to be proficient in it, it has created an enormous farce of incompetence in this regard of office work.

Generally being able to open files and using basic arithmetic are all you expected to know.

When your boss hands you some excel task, they will most likely have no concept of how long it will take. And thus if you finish in a few hours, they will assume that it was easy. Regardless of how much esoteric knowledge of the intricacies of the program you used.

It can actually hinder the perception of you if you are asked to explain what you have done. When you explain something to your boss, and they don't understand you. You either activate defense mechanisms where they get defensive or you you get some bullshit appreciation token which in either case your skills are mostly taken for granted.

>unironically being a secretary

i'm sorry op

this post is wrong

>The grand illusion of office work is that if you are proficient in some accessory technology or tool that is not the core business focus that you will be seen as some kind of wizard that will be saving the company money with your efficiency.
Except that's part's kind of true. If you're skilled at the ins and outs of AWS publishing or resolving weird Git conflicts or writing shell scripts, or trawling large data sets with Regex, or formatting something in LaTeX, it'll help save man hours lost when someone encountering these problems need to do it. But "everyone" "knows" Excel.

Real wizards write their own tools and trick others into using them.

This bitch doesn't understand that all management masters pivot tables. Any monkey can code, boot camp proves that

>Any monkey can code, boot camp proves that
does it?

I will qualify a little here. We are talking about office drone work. If you are good at those things you mentioned there, as a lower level staff, no matter what, your skills will be taken for granted. It comes down to human ego in the end.

If you are a lower level employee making 33% of what the senior folks make, and can complete a task in half the time. That makes you 6 times more efficient than them.

Because of this absolutely insane discrepancy in pay vs skills that is generally considered "normal", the only way to rationalize it away is to assume that whatever you had done, must have been easy. If you try to explain why it wasn't easy, you are met with defensiveness.

So yes, being a tool wizard is a good thing but at the same time rarely beneficial because you are not expected to be one. You will not see a reflection in your pay based on it, if anything it will be taken for granted.

>this bitch doesn't understand management does babbies first lin alg on overglorified data visualization software prone to being left unmaintained in some sharepoint site no one remembers after a few weeks.

good for them. I'll continue using google sheets when I find the presentation to be appropriate with the added bonus of cloud(tm) collaboration.

Power BI is useful to have experience with as it's pretty highly requested.

>Are these skills useful if I want to become a developer later?
No, not at all. There's nothing that excel can do that can't be done better by a python script or whatever.

Spreadsheets in general are one of the most useful tools in computing, but they're not the main tool for computing engineers. You could take the change to learn about spreadsheets, but if that's everything you're going to do then quit. And clearly MS Access isn't going to be a fit tool for you, you should use other alternatives that are way more effective.

Also, if you just got your internship, then you should've learned data bases already and know the answer for your question.

Quit if you find a better internship. Otherwise, don’t.

This is absolutely idiotic. No serious software developer or computer engineer should be spending his days working with Excel spreadsheets; you are trained to design and develop computer hardware and software, not do Pajeet's work.