What's the point?

What's the point?
Why did Microsoft create a whole new text editor instead of just making a Visual Studio community edition?

Attached: 154896214898412369.png (1200x1195, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lots of ancient platform dependent code. Also, zoomers love gay stuff like python and web stack.

Visual studio 2017 is like 30+ gb, and I can think only run on windows.

The consensus seems to be that their cloud people wanted something free and cross platform to hook people into azure who don't already pay for full leaded visual studio. It got more popular than they were planning for though so I think they are trying to do more with it.

Because for languages like Javascript/Typescript where all your debugging and deployment is done in the browser, a full-blown 30GB IDE is a bit overkill when a lightweight text editor with a robust auto-complete would do the job.

Visual Studio is a 6 gorillion ton gorilla of legacy proprietary code. Microsoft wanted a clean break to a a more rapid delivery cycle, and they wanted to make it open source.
Making VS Code was an excellent move.

VS couldn't be ported quickly to non-Windows platforms.

30GB is not too much in 2018. Your hard drive is not 60 GBs.

That's not 30GB of Image textures and music files. That's 30GB of heuristic build logic that is going to be loaded into memory and start churning away at layers and layers of cache files. On my work computer because they're too stupid to install SSDs and save hundreds of man-hours on start-up and update times, it can take 10 minutes to cold-start MSVS, another 3 to connect to TFS, and another 5 the first time you build something.

>10 minutes to launch VS
I'm reading this but my mind is rejecting it. I'd fucking quit if I had to deal with that shit.

Mind you that's from OS-start, so it's competing with everything else that's trying to spin up, but yeah, that's the time it takes. That's why we never turn off our computers or let the Visual Studios Cache fall into paging file. It runs fine when it's running (even a bit lighter than my other IDE), but it's a beast to get going.

Fuck bro just buy a $40 240GB ssd and stick VS and 8GB of pf on it when nobody is looking.

Because all the alternatives and direct competitors were either total fucking shit or dated

>non-Windows platforms
i've seen my friend use it on ubuntu, so I guess they already did?

Are you sure it wasn't vs code?

To spread the botnet further of course. Microsoft is literally unironically selling your code to the chy-nees.

Wake up everyone. Only write your code in notepad. Otherwise Microsoft will sell it. This is why Microsoft were so scared of temple OS and wanted to shut terry down. They couldn’t hack the compiler. Think about it.

>Visual Studio community edition
There is a VS Community Edition.
visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/

oh shit my bad, thought you're still talking about vscode
guess i need to go back to kindergarten to learn how to read right

they wanted to rewrite VS in typescript

>unironically not using an IDE

>He thinks notepad.exe is safe

Attached: 1530852552984.jpg (1436x1674, 572K)

the mac and linux version is a rebranded monodevelop
native code project templates for linux/mac/unix are provided separately as a result