One piece of software uses 23MB ram and 1 process to edit text

one piece of software uses 23MB ram and 1 process to edit text
the other piece of software uses 400MB ram and 12 processes to edit text

can you guess which one is which?

Attached: ms.jpg (1440x1551, 229K)

nvm I figured it out

Pm'd you the answer

Office uses way more.

Does Word 2013 really only use 23MB of RAM? I remember it being a slow POS compared to Word 2010.

vim is the former, emacs is the latter

Office isn't a "piece of software" it's a suite of software applications. If you're saying having every single Office program opened at the same time will only consume 400MB, then frankly I'm impressed.

I'm talking about the x86 version of Word2013. open a blank document type out a sentence and see for yourself. then open up vscode and feel the bloat.

VS Code is basically caching every single function and variable in the Javascript library and constructing a frequency-map for each because, being dynamically typed, there's no other way to even guess what the user might want to type next.

That, of course, is on top of the JIT compiler garbage and DOM shit required to run the glorified web app that is VS Code.

So basically half of it good use of memory and half of it is abuse of memory.

Since VSC is based on Electron I'll assume that's the big RAM one. Haven't had any performance issues with it though, so that's probably just chrom(e/ium) acting as usual.

yup

Attached: yup.png (497x26, 2K)

who tf uses office 2013 in the year of our lord

people who don't into latex

Why do they need vscode to be based on electron? for the extensions ecosystem? visual studio has also a lot of extensions for every dumb shit imaginable yet it's not based on electron.

Were you still using a traditional hard drive back then? I remember office suites always being really slow to load up.

It runs on every platform, I guess. Nobody cares about efficiency. What, you don't want to run a bloated browser in order to run a text editor written in JavaScript when a native program could edit text with

electron right now is sadly the best framework that offers a consistent ui across all platforms, because noone else bothered to do that except web browsers which needed to deal with it. i hope we get a good alternative in the upcoming 2-3 years

Attached: 1544331347760.png (509x410, 152K)

Nigga I fix other people's computers for a living and I have not seen a SINGLE office13 Install ever since 2016 came out. I've seen people using 2019, 2007, even some losers using 2010 and granpas using fucken 2003 on XP machines.

2013 went off the radar for some reason.

it's like the vista of offices, better forgotten

electron allows you to write modules in c or c++ and the front end is javascript so just about anyone can write extensions for it.

VS Code runs really well and doesn't take 1+GB so i'm satisfied.

Need? What is this "need" you're talking about? That word doesn't exist in the modern Software development lingo.

They used it because that's what they were using. It fulfilled their requirements. What was important was that it was sufficient, not that it was necessary.

(and that there was no alternative other than making their own UI technology)

>2013 went off the radar for some reason.
too bad because it's easily the fastest

I still use 2003 mostly because it got all i actually use, and also because that thing use 8~12mb ram at most and never went over 20% use of core0 even on big ass excels (and i'm talking about accounting, so think of a 6k+ rows and at least 10 columns in a dynamic table with several filters), i think just opening a blank tab in any browser use more resources.

that's because your clients probably subscribe to office online
which comes with automatic updates

I use it sometimes but it's sluggish. I get hiccups every once in a while where there's really bad input lag. I don't get any perceived input lag when I use vim though.