Why haven't you made the switch to powering your whole system with m3 pci-e SSDs within external USB3 enclosures?

why haven't you made the switch to powering your whole system with m3 pci-e SSDs within external USB3 enclosures?

Attached: 904587.jpg (1000x1000, 77K)

nvm I figured it out

Isn't USB3 still sub-SATA-speed?

with higher latency as well.

nvme i figured it out

> within external USB3 enclosures
Wat. You just insert these things into m.2 or PCI-E slots [the latter with a cheap adapter].

That is, if you even need multiple. Frankly, it's more likely that you'll just pile up HDD after that for bulk storage.

I don't have money.

what would be the approx perf. hit running usb3 versus pci-e (with adapter) ?

make some you lazy ass

Seqential read/write over USB3 vs PCIE would be horrendous. Literally worlds apart.

Well, depends on the drive. A lot of cheaper NVMe drives are just barely over SATA speeds, like 800 read/600 write.

It's only the (relatively) higher end SSDs that get read/write speeds into the several gigabytes-per-second range.

"It depends". USB3 isn't just one thing (could be USB3.1 Gen2 and UASP or whatever), controllers aren't all exactly equally fast, the storage involved has highly varying speeds -among other things depending on storage capacity-, and so on.

In general, typical current PCI-E is "fast enough" for basically any module, but the fancier storage can surpass what USB3.1 Gen1 or even Gen2 with UASP can handle.

Whether you need them to perform at full speed or if you don't even notice if it doesn't is yet another question. I recently transferred a whole drive from a slow SATA SSD to a fast NVMe SSD with pvmove (LVM2 live migration) and it really didn't bother me the least how "slow" the SATA SSD was. Somewhere near 500MB/s, good enough. USB3.1 Gen2 with UASP could be faster than that, and the UASP part also doesn't make random access IOPS all that noticeable [you can run a RAID6 array on that or whatever, no big deal usually].

Attached: 1518255136949.gif (245x230, 879K)

because USB is trash for data transfer

>[the latter with a cheap adapter].
source?

Just look up pci express nvme adapters they’re like less than 40 dollars and some come with sheathes and heatsinks.

M.2 is just a different form factor for PCIe, so passive adapters are possible (in both directions; PCIe to M.2 and M.2 to PCIe).

>USB3
>bottlenecking NVMe
>Not TB3

God job retard

They even make PCIe cards that work with AMD now. There's no excuse.

Attached: sonnet_fus_tb3_1tb_fusion_thunderbolt_3_pcie_1357077.jpg (1000x1000, 56K)

I'd rather buy an adaptor for an m.2 drive with my pci-e ports

I don't know what any of these words mean

Wouldn't using USB3 increase latency?