Mfw 3nm in 2020

>mfw 3nm in 2020

Attached: 1543809790824.png (499x511, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Welcome to the future, we GAA now.
TSMC is matching Samsung on this front.

Attached: gates.jpg (639x359, 24K)

That will be an insanely complicated process with a metric fuckload more steps than even current finFET nodes.

The cost will be so high that it will only be used for top of the line Data center CPU's and the highest end smartphones.

I am curious what the leakage would look like. If its as low as i think it could be they could get some pretty insane clocks at very low voltages.

Lower voltages means less heat. Less heat means higher stable clocks without overheating the silicon.

Autists believing all these bullshit announcements right before exec bonuses are measured at the end of the year.
Imagine being this easily fooled.

Attached: pathetic.jpg (818x503, 159K)

it says 2021

I thought ~4nm was the limit for stuff like this? Don't electrons just start jumping the gates at this point?

no, quantum mechanics is a meme

Binary is obsolete, just start making quantum computers already.

3NM IS A LIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1515175316605.jpg (691x771, 64K)

3nm GAA is probably the last copper transistor node before they move to graphene.

Is 3nm even possible? What about quantum tunneling?

No if the gooks found a superdiaelectric material that could still do its job at nano level

>Is 3nm even possible? What about quantum tunneling?
Asians are immune to quantum tunneling, it only affects Jews

Thats why they are doing a GAA design

That and using some truly exotic materials to coat the substrate and transistors.

Assuming this is still using copper and not a new conductor like graphene.

tell me about this ... "graphene"

graphene to be used as the diffusion barrier liner for the Cu interconnects (the wires between transistors) in pic related. more extreme but highly unlikely in near future, graphene may replace Cu wires entirely for the first few metal layers. (why do Cu wires need diffusion barriers? see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration)

anyone that says transistors will be made of graphene is a fucking retard that does not know anything about graphene and the fact that its effectively metallic (and meme graphene nanoribbons variability makes them unusable).

Attached: graphene_liners.png (912x309, 61K)

This is the problem with repeating bullshit from popsci clickbait outlets.
You're never going to perfectly control an electron, you're always going to have some leakage. Leakage is part of a circuit, its a quantified property of every given process node. As short channel effects increase conventional planar gates become incapable of controlling the current in a channel at all. The solution to this was FinFETs. As short channel effects increase even further FinFETs are no longer adequate. GAA is the solution to this.

Gate structures are chosen for the task required. In devices with shorter than log 10nm channels GAAs are required to create functional logic, so GAAs are being used. Theres nothing else do it. Quantum tunneling is a fucking meme that shit eating retard redditors regurgitated mindlessly without understanding the basics of how a FET operates.

>3nm Wow!

And yet it'll still be slower than AMD and Intel from half a decade ago.

that's the end of moore's law.
you can't get any smaller.
if you want faster/lower power you'll need a new material/device, silicon just won't cut it anymore.

Na. Intel has already release plans to start stacking parts of the CPU.
Moore's law continues to survive.

graphene is this magical material that can do anything but leave a lab.

that's a bandaid. there are only 3 dimensions.
the devices themselves won't get any smaller.

They don't have to.
I mean, we're not even taking all three dimensions into account when we talk about Xnm gates. There's still potential to reduce the overall size of each transistor in width or height, but then also imagine literally stacking cores on top of each other.

that wouldn't be a die shrink

>SOI

Attached: d90.png (644x800, 15K)

Moore's law isn't about die shrinks.

>mfw superpower by 2020

Attached: india-flag-1024x600[1].jpg (1024x600, 119K)

>SOI

Attached: 20181214_104246.jpg (288x191, 52K)

ROME IS A LIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1527629778452.jpg (679x758, 54K)

sweet

Attached: 1498347843216.jpg (1160x984, 308K)

Cobalt is likely the next liner material or even conductor.

And...? Moores's rule talks about devices on a die, they can be increased by increasing die size or increasing density. Going 3D increases density.

>SOI

Attached: 1531776208887.jpg (1024x768, 333K)

So when will we start using germanium transistors again?

efficiency is the key to the mobile age, not speed.

Intel and AMD's days are numbered.

Sci-Fi version of snake oil, everyone has been praising it's miraculous priorities for over a decade but none ever did anything concrete with it.

As long as servers exist they will never go away.

>Intel has already release plans to start stacking cpus
I didn't know Intel was in the business of making nuclear reactors

Attached: 1491835275725.png (882x758, 234K)

GLUED TOGETHER BINGBUS FOR MORE LATENCY AND HOUSEFIRES YAAAAY

Computroniun soon?

AMD btfo!

they will just use it to make more pozzed QLC garbage with 10tbw

still better than (((archive hdds)))

>Quantum mechanics is a meme

Attached: 1540072139543-v.jpg (503x519, 42K)

>SOI

Attached: 1544896710999.png (644x800, 6K)

>doesn't understand how current works
>LMAO I LOVE SCIENCE GUYS WEW REDDIT
Okay, kid.

I work in the process group in top 3 semiconductor company (not fab)
But ok, I'll listen to someone that took one materials course

intel is old news grandpa

You won't be praising this bitch shit so much when those cockroach sized surveillance bots are spotting your family and loved ones to get dragged off to the gulag comrad.

>MFW 14nm+++++++

Attached: chad trump.jpg (777x1024, 120K)

sure, and my dad works at nintendo
you can larp all you want but unless you show you actually know what you're talking about then it will stay exactly that: larping