Best language 2018

Hola Jow Forums whats your favorite language? Which one is objectively best?

Attached: top languages 2018 ars-technica.png (781x421, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_applications_using_Lua
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Python_software
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Go
C

fpbp

A true Cnile. No reason to not use cepples in 2018.

my top 5:
1. C
2. Haskell/Idris
3. Lua
4. Julia
5. Go

Python.
I have to get shit done and don't give a fuck about speed.

Why is the rust logo always replaced with the video game rust logo? Is this a meme or the official logo for rust?

mexican.

1. C/C++
2. Python
3. Haskell

Javascript and rust

Rust and C.

This.

1. C
2. Haskell
3. Lua
4. Python

What about when you have to do something important? Oh, I guess you have to have a job for that to happen. Never mind, sorry, user.

>rust videogayme logo
big meme

yeah but i give a shit about not having hidden bugs. dynamic typing was a mistake.

Developer time is more expensive for an employer than server time. Unless you are a game developer in the post-planning stages rapid prototyping and easy debugging is always the priority.

Use type hinting you retard.

Ada.
I have to get shit done and I know the value of detecting and correcting bugs as soon as possible.

I do most of my work in dadlang at home but usually scheme at work

crystal. just needs to mature.

ocaml is the best language but the ecosystem/tooling terrible

Attached: camels.jpg (474x372, 62K)

Unironically, Rust. I haven't felt this happy with a programming language in a long time. It has completely changed how I write non-rust code. You learn so many important concepts! I wish I could use it professionally.

Attached: apu-apustaja-59eda0c797870.png (657x527, 44K)

proof you don't work on a team and have never built anything to last.

if typing is not required people will get lazy.

What are code audits?

Lua

1. Haskell
2. Rust
3. Sepples

I really enjoyed using using C# and Go

Real men use Scheme.

1. C
2. C
3. C

Fucking ironic when Python is one of the most demanded language im programming

>t. Cnile

Common lisp
A lisp which isn't Common

The python + C combination is objectively the best and its not only cause they go together perfectly but also because both are great for vastly different things and combined create the whole package

literally any knob can program in python

If you think that, you don't know enough people. Most people couldn't program their way out of a wet paper bag, even with python and instructions in pretty colors

These people are not worth mentioning. Python is the lowest common denominator. The only thing below it is PHP, but that's a subhuman tool.

Every webshit is more degenerate than Python(and Java).

C++ + LUA is faster

I don't know which is objectively best, but Go is subjectively best for me right now

>Which one is objectively best?
The things on the right.

>muh speed is everything
kys

Not my favorite language, but I'm currently learning Common Lisp and I really love the interactive process where you can change the behavior of a function that is being executed by just evaluating its new definition, and the SLIME/Emacs environment. I had only seen this capability in niche languages for audio like SuperCollider or TidalCycles so far.
Other than that, Typescript is pretty comfy at my job, and I like the design of C and Python.

The rust language itself offers nothing new and is poorly implemented. So what's left besides marketing wank and the community full of shills who harass everyone.

>and combined create the whole package
no
this is already way more flexible and I do not even consider it good
there is also a lot of other stuff c + python doesn't offer

The C language itself offers nothing new and is poorly implemented. So what's left besides autism wank and the community full of retard brainlets who harass everyone.

>there is also a lot of other stuff c + python doesn't offer
such as

>LUA

i see we aren't just pretending we are hipster clowns

Attached: 1537626752133.jpg (843x712, 40K)

proper sandboxing (aka NOT process sandboxing)
proper language design (that's kind of a stretch for c++, though)
multiple in-process instances
security and engineering considerations in general
proper metaprogramming and other stuff that actual software developers want

exactly, that act dropped when talked about Python

>actual software developers
>You see i am an ACTUAL

Get off your high horse, you aren't better because you use shit nobody gives a fuck about

You can't be a hipster while using one of the most widely used programming language that there is, LUA on the other hand is literally who

>he doesn't have standards
Yeah, it's totally unknown. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_applications_using_Lua
Retard.

Attached: laughing_grills.jpg (300x168, 18K)

1. Python
2. C#
3. C++
99999999. Java

Ruby
Haskell
Common Lisp
JavaScript/TypeScript/CoffeeScript
Luna, don't @ me, it's cool.

Attached: 1544728055305-1.jpg (235x283, 13K)

1. Scala
I got a job that pays very lucratively for writing code in it, so it's my favorite.

Java/Kotlin for scalable projects
Python for IA advanced stuff
Typescript/HTML/CSS for UX stuff
This is the best combination, for me

fpbp

A man of culture

Cute

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Python_software

Attached: 214141241.jpg (480x480, 22K)

>t. kernighan

You meant Thompson.
Kernighan actually likes C++.

>python isn't used in actual jobs
Oh, the irony.

It's just that Kernighan helped make both C and Go. Go was his higher-level complement to C.

I'm confused cnile guy, are you actually for sepples or rust?

Whenever I hear Rust I keep thinking the game, Rust.

>1 Prolog
>...
>9 Haskell
>10 C

Attached: 6884283.png (280x280, 70K)

vpns are blocked

>BS
By the logo I suppose this is related to JavaScript, but what the hell is BS?

Perl 6
C

Go
Julia

I think that Julia has potential to be a good general purpose scripting language, it feels like Javascript but there is no OO scope to cock block everything. Its has very streamlined and minimalist syntax of just container types with built-in methods. And it borrows Python's awesome for-in comprehension syntax which is so much nicer than Ruby's shitty block syntax.

Go has already proved itself as a do-everything systems and server language.

>Python's awesome for-in comprehension syntax
Which actually came from Haskell, which in turn came from mathematical set-builder notation.

Kotlin is super comfy, loving it more every day

My 2018 top 3 would be
python
C
R (lisp if you consider tweaking elisp for emacs config as "programming")

I want to give Julia credits but it fails to stick on my workflow when it comes so late after getting used to python and numpy.
I sometimes go to R to for its plotting libraries but I never feel like "damn, that would be a good task for using Julia!"

What the fuck is dadlang? Is it any good?

Use a linter and automatically deny PRs that don't meet your standards.

You should be doing this anyway.

>1.
Q
>2.
Python
>3.
Lisp

Everyone else is wrong

>Listing stuff without a HM type system
Lisps get a free pass

C. Though sepples has some nice features like function overloading. As long as you dont abuse the bloated shit it can be elegant.

Of the languages that I have used seriously for a substantial period of time

1. Kotlin
2. C
== large gap ===
C# (use for work)
== small gap ===
C++ (was my original language)
=== large gap ===
Java
=== gap wider than your mother ==
Javascript

Fortran

Self taught here with no actual work experience. I don't know what the industry wants and too scared to apply for jobs because I feel like a brainlet.

I like to use Python and Lua for automation, data handling, etc.

I like to use Java for top level applications. It was the first language I learned when I was a teenager diving into Minecraft stuff and I feel most comfortable using Java. I've been meaning to learn Kotlin now as well.

I very rarely use C/C++. I'm not proficient at it but I'm able to read sources and understand what's going on to make minor edits.

I've been studying alternative stuff recently. Been playing around in GHDL learning the VHDL language.

I've also been messing around with Prolog.

How come if Python has such bad performance everyone in data science and machine learning loves it?

what is so different about Kotlin vs Java?

Kotlin offers nice syntactic sugar.. and less job opportunities

Primary reason:
Java is 99% bloated boilerplate syntax whereas Kotlin is 99% convenience flavor syntax.

Secondary reasons:
While not being strictly-speaking functional, Kotlin has learned a lot of lessons from Scala and supports a lot of the tools, functions, and syntax.

Also nullable types should have been the standard from the beginning.

> C for low-level applications, embedded applications.

> C++ for low-level applications, scientific applications, game applications.

> C# for Windows applications.

> Golang for concurrency, backend services, middleware services, command-line applications.

> LISP for learning computer science concepts.

Those are my 5.

Java earns me a lot of money :^)

Best overall design - Idris
Best cross platform - Kotlin
Best front-end - Typescript
Best data analysis - Julia
Best systems level - Rust

Honorable "It just werkz" mentions:
F#, clojure, elixir, golang

MIPS

>Hola Jow Forums whats your favorite language?
Scala.

> Which one is objectively best?
Eh, none. That's also why there are so many programming languages, and why we're not all programming purely functional style despite that being THE most modular way to program? [Also the most parallelizable and so on... there would be no downsides if we could actually pull it off. Which we really can't always to a sufficient extent.]

every answer that isn't kotlin is objectively wrong

Heh. BS.

do you do f# on linchucks or only on wangblows?

1. C
2. Perl
3. Go
4. Java
5. Ruby
6. AWK

You're wrong. The best language is Java. Your little functional cuck language has to be compiled to java bytecode as well.

You know, Java bytecode ain't that great either. Kotlin and Scala constantly hitting artificial limitations because of things the Java bytecode simply cannot do. Honestly, the only good thing about Java is the actual JVM. And I here Spring is nice, but I've never used it. Definitely cannot recommend either Swing or JavaFX.

C

T. Chinese sweatshop programming monkey have fun competing with drag'n'drop website tools for work chink

scala
>implying I can give you an objective answer on Jow Forums