Linux isn't retar-

>linux isn't retar-

Attached: linux_file_structure.jpg (1000x647, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
gobolinux.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what's wrong with that? seems structured and neat to me.

Stockholm syndrome at its finest

how would you structure it then?

Looks fine to me.
Propose a BETTER alternative.

Ok user how would you design it?

better than windows

I DON'T KNOW BRO BUT I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T USE 3 LETTER NAMES IN 2 THOUSAND GOD DAMN COCK SUCKING FUCK FUCKING SHIT SUCKING 18

Literally nothing wrong with 3 letter names.

>/bin
>/sbin
>/usr/bin
>/usr/sbin
>/usr/local/bin
>/use/local/sbin
Don't even get me started on config files.

Of all the things that are wrong with Linux, you went out and picked the file system hierarchy, which is simple, well structured and organized.
Kill yourself.

Looks pretty neat. What's the issue?
Why?

There is literally nothing wrong with those.

>simple, well structured and organized
>this is what freetards actually believe

Attached: 7.jpg (480x360, 19K)

Tagged filesystem based on sets.

It's worth abstracting a literal data structure "filetree heirarchies" into a more human readable structure.

Every extension adds a tag, and the parent directory adds a tag.

So if I want all config files related to the linux kernels boot, I'd just put :linux :boot :config in my searchbar and end up with a flat directory of config files.

I don't actually need to know where these files are, all I need is to be able to see all of them at once.

Programs would only have to specify their head tag like :emacs and then something like :emacs :csrc in my browser would show me all the emacs source files.

Developers writing dependencies would just use tags to include headers in the path so maybe :emacs needs :gcc :libreadline and all the package manager has to do is make sure those tags exist in the system somewhere.

For personal files I can now ask :images :at-the-fair to get all hypothetical pictures of me at the fair.

Abstracting file structure from the nature of humans wanting to query and get back a simple no nonsense representation of exactly what they asked for has been neglected for way too long.

And sysadmins would like it because you could do :log :apache to get all apache log files, the actual storage of these files is the responsibility of the distro developer to abstract away.

Ask yourself how much time you've spent cd'ing or clicking through directories and then tell me I'm not right with simple tagging.

Then tell us what is wrong exactly and what you propose instead.
Otherwise, all your posts are just mindless babbling about your hateboner for "freetards".

It's from 1980 fuck you and your arguments you stupid luddite

>old == bad

Attached: 8992312.jpg (848x700, 29K)

literally every unix-like os
try bsd, solaris, etc they're all the same

Ever used find?

Holy shit, this. Why are there so many ambiguous 3 letter words that don't mean anything at all. Why are there like 5 bin folders? Nigga, I just need one trash can. And don't get me started on drives and their names... Wtf is dev? Why aren't they ordered in letters like in Windows? I swear to god it's a game of who can tolerate the bullshit more when it comes to Linux "powerr userrr!"

Attached: Onoggmz.jpg (1191x842, 163K)

b-but muh dlls cluttering everything!!!

Didn't read because your spacing is aids

This
We should name them RGB led, razer, fortnight, diversity and Hillary

nice argument, homo.

cringe

>Don't even get me started on config files.
literally /etc/name/name.conf

But there's no reason to change it, three letter lowercase names for dirs and apps are actually handy. It's basically less typing, to the point you don't even need autocompletion.

The splits are artificial and exist only due to historical reasons. Anyone who denies this is just deluded and under Stockholm syndrome (reminder, you can still keep using an OS even if you criticize some design decisions).

Here's some history on the split:
lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html

>OP is too retarded to remember 3 letters
>calls an OS retarded
kek

>>/bin
essential binaries which will be needed to fix system if it doesn't boot and /usr cant be mounted
>>/sbin
as above, but for stuff that only :wheel can run
>>/usr/bin
>>/usr/sbin
non-essential binaries and system binaries, shipped with the OS
>>/usr/local/bin
>>/usr/local/sbin
stuff installed separately from the OS

most Linux distros these days have a single /usr/{sbin,bin} with symlinks to the others. see the hier manpage of a *BSD for more info

>I don't actually need to know where these files are, all I need is to be able to see all of them at once.
you could write a simple python script to do that instead of changing the entire filesystem structure lmao
i don't even know what to say to this.

Behold, an actually fucking sane structure for parts of the OS:
gobolinux.org/

Where do I put my self-compiled software?
Where are the configs for program [X]?
Where does my OS mount removable drives by default?

There's no fucking sanity. Shit was codified without ever getting pruned from insanity.
Linux needs a refactoring. POSIX needs to be abolished.
dd is a prime symptom of this degeneracy.

>uppercase letters
cringe

Something originating for historical reasons doesn't automatically make it bad.
I agree that the hierarchy is not perfect, but that doesn't mean it needs a complete revamp.

That's why there should be aliases for all of the cryptic shit.
Proper names for listings and scripting, short names for instant action.

>dirs are capitalized
No thanks

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-15-21-14-33.jpg (1920x1080, 625K)

Where does the program configs for that distribution?

>dealbreaker is a minor cosmetic issue
If you really were this pedantic, you would already be using your own file hierarchy.

but why not
>/bin
>/sbin
>/bin/usr
>/sbin/usr
>/bin/local
>/sbin/local
?

GoboLinux is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I'd prefer having, say, config files in a dedicated directory for a specific program, together with its executables and other files. Having (usually) them all in /etc/ is more convenient for me, but that's a purely personal preference.
Having said that, the usual Linux hierarchy is not really that bad. Sure, some splits, like /bin/ and /sbin/ or /usr/bin/ and /usr/sbin, not to mention all *local* directories, has no reason to exist, but it's still a good starting point.

>dd is a prime symptom of this degeneracy.
What's wrong with dd, apart from using a different syntax for options than almost every other command?

If you don't understand it and don't even try to understand it, your opinions are simply not valid.

The entire idea behind /usr is that it is suited to being on a networked drive for easy central maintenance.

>OS has 3 letter directories
>freetards pretend this is a good thing to justify using their broken low quality OS

Attached: spVrM.gif (267x200, 294K)

I agree. I actually prefer central locations for configs. In that regard, we just need to have an actual standard instead of of the fuckhuge variety we have now.
Currently there's programs that have no default config, so you need to assemble one based on the documentation.
Then there's ones that have no default user config, but do have a system config in /etc, so you have to make the user config yourself, possibly without a template.
And then there's the split between putting stuff in /.[program] and /.[program]/.
There should be a dedicated folder for config templates/documentation, for default configs, for current system config and for current user config.
A template would show the bare bones of a functional config, as well as all available options through commentary. Ideally, there would be a standard here so that the documentation can be parsed by tools and give you autocompletion and tooltips.
A default config actually has settings pre-populated.

I say data and configs should always be in places different from the actual installs. In a crash scenario, you can generally let the actual binaries burn, but configs and data need to be backed up.
A dedicated folder for configs also makes blanket low-effort backups easier.

Mostly the syntax, but also its history in itself. dd wasn't even created for Unix, it was made for an entirely different platform and yet persists to this day.
On the one hand, this is outstanding backwards compatibility. On the other hand, this is the main issue with the entire design philosophy behind these systems.
In addition, dd is mostly redundant. Its function can often be done by tools like cat. It does have additional options for niche functionality, but maybe it should be integrated into something else instead.
Really, we need a GNU fork that takes a shit all over POSIX and does its own thing as a third pillar after BSD and GNU. I don't want the arcane behemoth of backwards compatibility to die, I just want choice.

>/bin
>/sbin
Should probably be merged desu
>/usr/bin
>/usr/sbin
Makes sense for stuff you're already going to be keeping in your /usr dir
Perfect for non essential stuff you install with a package manager
>/usr/local/*
For stuff you dump on your filesystem since you're a dullard and don't want it touching your system stuff.
Makes sense.

That isn't Linux, it dates back to Unix and has been used with many kernels besides just Linux. It is not required by Linux either, so this thread makes no sense at all.

>Where do I put my self-compiled software?
/home/user/source or /opt/
>Where are the configs for program [X]?
global go in /etc/[X].conf
local go in /home/user/.[X].conf
you're overthinking this.

No stability, bugs, regressions, regressions and regressions: There's an incredible number of regressions (both in the kernel and in user space applications) when things which used to work break inexplicably; some of the regressions can even lead to data loss. Basically there is no quality control (QA/QC) nor regression testing in most Open Source projects (including the kernel) - Microsoft, for instance, reports that Windows 8 received 1,240,000,000 hours of testing whereas new kernel releases get, I guess, under 10,000 hours of testing - and every Linux kernel release is comparable to a new Windows version. Serious bugs which impede normal workflow can take years to be resolved. A lot of crucial hardware (e.g. GPUs, Wi-Fi cards) isn't properly supported. Both Linux 4.1.9/4.1.10, which are considered "stable" (moreover this kernel series is also LTS(!)), crash under any network load. WTF??

Hardware issues: Under Linux many devices and device features are still poorly supported or not supported at all. Some hardware (e.g. Broadcom Wi-Fi adapters) cannot be used unless you already have a working Internet connection. New hardware often becomes supported months after introduction. Specialized software to manage devices like printers, scanners, cameras, webcams, audio players, smartphones, etc. almost always just doesn't exist - so you won't be able to fully control your new iPad and update firmware on your Galaxy SIII. Linux graphics support is a big bloody mess because kernel/X.org APIs/ABIs constantly change and NVIDIA/ATI/Broadcom/etc. companies don't want to allocate extra resources and waste their money just to keep up with an insane rate of changes in the Open Source software.

The lack of standardization, fragmentation, unwarranted & excessive variety, as well as no common direction or vision among different distros: Too many Linux distributions with incompatible and dissimilar configurations, packaging systems and incompatible libraries. Different distros employ totally different desktop environments, different graphical and console applications for configuring your computer settings. E.g. Debian-based distros oblige you to use the strictly text based `dpkg-reconfigure` utility for certain system-related maintenance tasks.

The lack of cooperation between open source developers, and internal wars: There's no central body to organize the development of different parts of the open source stack which often leads to a situation where one project introduces changes which break other projects (this problem is also reflected in "Unstable APIs/ABIs" below). Even though the Open Source movement lacks manpower, different Linux distros find enough resources to fork projects (Gentoo developers are going to develop a udev alternative; a discord in ffmpeg which led to the emergence of libav; a situation around OpenOffice/LibreOffice; a new X.org/Wayland alternative - Mir) and to use their own solutions.

A lot of rapid changes: Most Linux distros have very short upgrade/release cycles (as short as six months in some cases, or e.g. Arch which is a rolling distro, or Fedora which gets updated every six months), thus you are constantly bombarded with changes you don't expect or don't want. LTS (long term support) distros are in most cases unsuitable for the desktop user due to the policy of preserving application versions (and usually there's no officially approved way to install bleeding edge applications - please, don't remind me of PPAs and backports - these hacks are not officially supported, nor guaranteed to work). Another show-stopping problem for LTS distros is that LTS kernels often do not support new hardware.

throwing random shit all other the C:/ drive

It is honestly really stupid how Linux doesn’t search the current directory for the program you’re asking for. I’m tired of putting “./“ in front of something I’m trying to run

You're retarded

Unstable APIs/ABIs & the lack of real compatibility: It's very difficult to use old open and closed source software in new distros (in many cases it becomes impossible due to changes in core Linux components like kernel, GCC or glibc). Almost non-existent backwards compatibility makes it incredibly difficult and costly to create closed source applications for Linux distros. Open Source software which doesn't have active developers or maintainers gets simply dropped if its dependencies cannot be satisfied because older libraries have become obsolete and they are no longer available. For this reason for instance a lot of KDE3/Qt3 applications are not available in modern Linux distros even though alternatives do not exist. Developing drivers out of the main Linux kernel tree is an excruciating and expensive chore. There's no WinSxS equivalent for Linux - thus there's no simple way to install conflicting libraries. In 2015 Debian dropped support for Linux Standard Base (LSB). Viva, incompatibility!

Freetard anuses: non-existant

Freetard status: butt-blasted

Attached: boV2nqN.jpg (433x432, 35K)

Software issues: Not that many games (mostly Indies) and few AAA games (Valve's efforts and collaboration with games developers have resulted in many recent games being released for Linux, however every year thousands of titles are still released for Windows exclusively*. More than 98% of existing and upcoming AAA titles are still unavailable in Linux). No familiar Windows software, no Microsoft Office (LibreOffice still has major troubles correctly opening Microsoft Office produced documents), no native CIFS (simple to configure and use, as well as password protected and encrypted network file sharing) equivalent, no Active Directory or its featurewise equivalent.
Money, enthusiasm, motivation and responsibility: I predicted years ago that FOSS developers would start drifting away from the platform as FOSS is no longer a playground, it requires substantial effort and time, i.e. the fun is over, developers want real money to get the really hard work done. FOSS development, which lacks financial backing, shows its fatigue and disillusionment. The FOSS platform after all requires financially motivated developers as underfunded projects start to wane and critical bugs stay open for years. One could say "Good riddance", but the problem is that oftentimes those dying projects have no alternatives or similarly-featured successors.

No polish, no consistency and no HIG adherence (even KDE developers admit it).

that's a security issue, user.
you don't want that.

>games

Attached: 1544069616844.png (890x714, 486K)

Linux users when a game is not supported on Linux:
>GAMES? AHAHA ONLY BABBYS PLAY GAMES WHO NEEDS GAMES???
Linux users when a game works on Linux:
>SEE? I TOLD YOU!! LINUX IS GREAT!!!!!! HAHAHA

Attached: tree.jpg (355x500, 41K)

It's almost like more than one person uses Linux. I mean, it's only the most popular kernel in the world.

If you want to live dangerously, you can put . in your PATH.

These may be legitimate issues, but comparing Linux to Windows does nothing to support your argument when Microsoft itself released multiple poorly-tested updates this year which actually did lead to loss of user data.

meh

Attached: microshit.png (1300x4704, 1.14M)

Reminds me of when their solution to "people cried about Windows 8" was "let's burn all of the engineering that went into the tablet controls to the ground, then take the rudimentary remnants of them and call them 'tablet mode', followed by never taking another look at that feature" instead of, say, keeping the entirety of Windows 8 as "tablet mode" while developing it further.

Or when their response to Windows Phone slowly gaining a foothold in Europe (10% market share and rising) was to release all new features exclusively for America and flood the market with cheap phones intended for the Indian market, while removing the one thing that made the OS unique - actual fucking standards that every phone had to follow.

Similar story for their fucking fitness tracker, which was actually a good device but was only released in one or two markets and then killed.

When Microsoft sees danger on the horizon, they backpedal faster than Michael Jackson.

>the filesystem was a good id-

How is this a cosmetic issue?

It's a single upper-case letter.

That's not event bad. How about
>/lib/
>/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
>/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
>/lib32/
>/lib64/
>/libx32/
>/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
>/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
>/usr/lib32/
>/usr/lib64/
>/usr/libx32/
>/usr/local/lib/
>/usr/local/lib64/

>cosmetic issue
It's not cosmetic, it's means having to push every time you need to specify the directory. In Windows that's not an issue, cmd isn't case sensitive. But Linux is. And having uppercase letters here is really inconvenient for something as common as root dirs.

Or you could just press tab.

You still have to type the first letter, I think that's what he means

Gud b8, m8! Got all these people defensive : ^ )

>cryptic
If you think the Linux file system is cryptic then you should just stay in your home directory. You can organize stuff in there however you want. Leave those other folders to your system administrator. The last thing anyone needs is a brainlet on the loose trying to configure the box for everyone.

Attached: pepethot.gif (1023x906, 3.07M)

Does anyone have that picture that looks like WinDirStat that shows the full structure of Windows? It gave me a laugh but I forgot to save it.

lol, cuck

now do the same for windows...
oh wait, op is huge faggot
does not even deserve a pc

I have this one.

Attached: 1379895458807.png (2256x788, 710K)

who cares, its all placebo at this point, everything you see in that image is managed by systemd.

Not everyone uses shit distros.

There's nothing stating that it HAS to be upper-case. The actual concept isn't devalued by a minor implementation detail. It's not a conceptual issue and has no bearing on the actual proposal.

>Leave those other folders to your system administrator.
Nigger, I AM the system administrator.
Just because I know how to use this shit, doesn't mean that I can't see how retarded it is.
Stop projecting.

Here, take a look. I still have to type uppercase letter for autocomplete to recognize what I mean.

Attached: output.webm (270x480, 137K)

>but muh useless /bin, /sbin, etc. directories
A ton of distros symlink that shit. It's an irrelevant complaint.

fucking troll the problem is not the foldername, but more how many different folders are there for nearly the same shit. etc is fine but opt is kinda useless. all the user/share and local directories can be merged as well. It doesn't really make sense to have tmp and var/log and so on.

What a pile of mostly bullshit. If you absolutely need to run a windows programs otherwise not available on gnu/linux you can just use wine or kvm with gpu pass-through. CIFS and active directory work different in gnu/linux. Such native software is used on millions of servers and super computers world-wide.
The FOSS world is doing just fine developing powerful software that powers the internet, embedded devices, your cable tv box, and desktop users who regularly game, edit documents on word processors like libreoffice, text editing, coding, and security minded people who enjoy computing without fear of shit code that can only be viewed and patched by one single entity.
If FOSS was shit microsoft, apple, and nasa wouldn't trust their most valuable data servers, and desktops on BSD and gnu/linux.
There's some useful windows/apple programs that don't have a FOSS equivalent but it's getting better every year with the FOSS community ever increasing.

Attached: gnu.jpg (300x277, 62K)

>It doesn't really make sense to have tmp and var/log
It does though. /var has to survive a reboot, /tmp does not.

>more how many different folders are there for nearly the same shit
Plenty of distros symlink that shit.

>It doesn't really make sense to have tmp and var/log
These are totally different things.

Did you just discover terminal on your macbook?
Each of those has a specific use case retard.
They all mean something kiddo
This. It was designed when you had to use basic equipment and interfaces to use computers
You are not a Unix user kys
I bet you like systemd too

>gobolinux.org/

A necessary step towards mass adoption of GNU/Linux imho

Just because it's too impractical to remove doesn't make it good.

The fucking options that I never can remember and have to look up again when I use it every three to four month. Why not give me a -toflash option. Sometimes I just use etcher, though I feel stupid running a browser when all I needed was dd with sane options

RTFM

zsh has caps independent completion enabled by default. I'm sure bash has something similar, if not lol@you

>/etc
>/bin
>/sbin
Staticly linked programs which by themself get the system booted or fixed at own partition.
>/usr
System extras and programs which comes with OS like Xorg. These programs might be used by regular users. At own partition and can be somewhat trusted
>/usr/local
Shit which you install later and what you do your work with. Own partition and thus these cannot be trusted so W^X

Attached: kike.jpg (259x194, 4K)

was kind of hyped for a new, reconsidered file system hierarchy, but....

>capital letters

No. No. Dropped.

Right. But no one said that it's good because it's too impractical to remove.
The other post, instead, implied the *nix system hierarchy is bad simply because it originated in a certain way.

so if programs are creating their own tags, as in your example with apache, how does the user know what those tags are? It's no different than it is now- you fucking google it and figure out where the files are, or what their tag is.
at least with folders, there's no chance of a program randomly merging its shit with mine. What if I had a massive collection of gimp suit pics, then gimp crashed and spat out a bunch of log files under the :gimp tag?
tag-based filesystems also suffer from the delusion that users are going to tag things properly. If people don't use folders properly, they won't use tags properly.

/opt/ makes perfect sense.
it's for "optional" software.
things that you make go here. things that you are trying out go here.

The filesystem hierarchy is not perfect by any means, but it's been good enough so far.
If there were major, widespread issues with the hierarchy, we'd see people complaining a lot more, and a lot more often.
It certainly beats the Windows hierarchy by far.

>I bet you like systemd too
I do in terms of usability but also don't because its eating every service it can get and poettering does stupid shit like that once about the rm * which deletes also "." and ".." (all folders above) because he was reasoning that ".." is in the folder where you entered "rm *" too.