Open Source GUIs

Why do open source things look so ugly? why do proprietary software always have a way better look? If you compare Windows or MacOS to any Linux distro, the former will always beat the shit out of the latter, doesn't matter which DE you are using.
Pic related: looks like shit

Attached: 1539026290732[1].jpg (800x500, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnome-look.org/p/1078585/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You should look at the desktop threads.
All our environments not only look better but can do everything windows and Mac can do for free.
Just use kde

>using customized openmeme as an example
Ubuntu 18.10 unironically looks really fucking good even though I hate gnome.

Yeah but why do i have to be customizing everything for it to look good? why doesn't it already have a nice look out of the box? that's one of the reasons linux isn't used more

Read the post above you.

Just fucking use KDE neon
Unless you're using a 8 year old toaster or some sub 300 shit book you should be Gucci

You just have shit taste.

Opened sources look better than Windows 10 GUI

But here is a list of commercial GUI that are better than Public Domain / Open Source / Free Ware GUI

-CDE (Solaris)
-Windows 2000 (Windows)
-Aerosol (Windows 7)
-MacGUI(tm) (MacIntosh)

There an open source that is similar to the Classic Mac? Closest I can find so far is Windowmaker

I miss it bros :,(

Attached: 69A68810-E649-48F9-9263-8BE09DB91279.png (640x480, 87K)

This is your life now

Attached: EC2BED3C-D9BE-4091-AE9E-F77D45D45983.png (168x120, 7K)

Looks beautiful ootb

Attached: TrGreen.png (1920x1080, 951K)

Budgie looks good

>that's one of the reasons linux isn't used more
It's already used in 99% of supercomputers ~50% of web servers and 95% of mobile phones. So why would it be a concern that it "isn't used more"?

Closest you'll get is some theme like this*, but I think it looks shit. I still use OS 9 on a PowerBook, it's not like you ever have to stop using Mac OS. I also use Sheepshaver on more powerful PCs.

*gnome-look.org/p/1078585/

You know i mean desktop computers

How could I possibly tell that by what you said?

Phones don't benefit from Linux and run an old version of it. Supercomputers are an irrelevant metric.

No money to pay artists with actual aesthetic skill

Cause the thread has a desktop pic?

>Phones don't benefit from Linux
They wouldn't run the userland without it, so I think they do benefit.
>Supercomputers are an irrelevant metric.
Why?
So? You just said Linux.

because your cuck brain is trained to think that the more you pay, better quality you get, which is obviously stupid, just look at apple abomination of UI and wincuck 10 spyware

>Implying i didn't pirate Windows

>They wouldn't run the userland without it, so I think they do benefit.
Blackberry and iPhone manages just fine, if not better.
>Why
You're not writing from a supercomputer and you don't own a supercomputer

>being a nigger

I don't think open source guis are ugly but it's true to an extent. A programmer can spend some time writing different programs at work and then come home to do the same on his own. An artist not so much, I think. You don't design software ui's at work only to the same at home. Inspiration isn't infinite.

>Blackberry and iPhone manages just fine, if not better.
They don't use Linux, you idiot.
>You're not writing from a supercomputer and you don't own a supercomputer
But how does that make them irrelevant? I don't own a phone either, but we're still talking about them.

ebin roast :DD

>They don't use Linux, you idiot.
That's the point, retard.
>But how
Nobody has or uses supercomputers, they're a total niche that may as well run proprietary custom software.

>That's the point, retard.
So you just want to argue that Linux is bad or indifferent for phones? That's stupid.
>Nobody has or uses supercomputers, they're a total niche that may as well run proprietary custom software.
But they don't, they use Linux. Popularity shouldn't dictate relevancy.

>Popularity
You contradict your original point that Linux is already popular and can't get more relevant.

How does that contradict what I said at all? I was not referring to relevancy, I was merely stating that Linux is quite popular.

no, ->implying you know that windows costs a lot therefore your cucked brain thinks its superior to things that costs less

But it's not quite popular, only niche cases take advantage of it and it has 2% desktop is share

because the problem with open shit is that no one wants to do the un-fun work. everyone wants to do the fun stuff. so open shit always is unfinished and has rough edges because "LOL IF SOMEONE WANTS THIS FIXED THEY CAN DO IT THEMSELVES"
this is why communism didn't work and it's why open shit won't work unless it's 100% financed by a company who needs the open shit as a complementary for their paid-for product. linux got only so good because IBM, HP and all the other server vendors poured a shitload of money into its development. without that it would be limping along like fucking *BSD lol

But it has 95% share of the smart phone market. How is that niche? It's actually closer to 3% of desktops when you account for ChromeOS.

How many devices of the 95% can you load a custom Linux compilation on? You get what a company decides and that turns Linux a part of a proprietary bundle, hence irrelevant.

openSUSE is awesome

Irrelevant to what? You can make and load custom ROMs quite easily, but what even is your idea of relevancy? Linux has never been strongly opposed to working with proprietary software. You're thinking of GNU and the FSF, who do not get along well with Linus or the Linux project.

That wasn't a rhetorical question, there are almost no devices you can just slap the latest version of lineage os and have 0 bugs or missing features.
>GNU and the FSF
Linux is an open source project, that's why people use it. They choose the parts they need. If a platform doesn't allow for that, it may as well not be running Linux, hence it's irrelevant

What do you do with OS 9 now? Does it have practical uses?

>there are almost no devices you can just slap the latest version of lineage os and have 0 bugs or missing features.
Because that device doesn't have anyone to write and maintain LineageOS on. But that doesn't mean it is impossible.
>Linux is an open source project, that's why people use it
No, that is why some people may use it, but most do not care. They use it because it is installed on their device when they buy it, the same reason they use any OS. As it turns out, a lot of people
are not interested in installing an OS.
>If a platform doesn't allow for that, it may as well not be running Linux, hence it's irrelevant
Why would that be the case? It works, that is a good enough reason for most to use it. There is no reason why open source software should have to be modular at every level in every implementation.

it's general purpose computing. what do you think it can't do expect playing (((games))) or running the newest (((electron))) shitware?

Yes, it's good for pretty much everything I want to do. I like the interface and there is no newer alternative. Why bother changing? Nothing new will run on a G3 anyway.

>the desktop threads
A staged screenshot of cartoon wallpaper + minimal rectangle with text doesn't look good and doesn't have anything to do with how it looks normally.

That's what I'm saying, take out all the people who don't care they're running Linux and it seems Linux is only useful and irreplaceable at the niche level. So yes it could be more popular.

>general purpose computing
As in solving arbitrary linear differential equations? What a waste.

Everything is replaceable, this is a stupid argument to make.

No, it's not. Can you put windows on the said 99% of supercomputers without a loss in performance? No, that means Linux has its place there. And pretty much only there.

stop fucking arguing and post some actually good looking and modern ui
rules:
>no microsoft or apple os
>no i3
>no anime

Attached: deepin_aero.png (1280x800, 1.17M)

concept arts and mockups are also welcome

>Can you put windows on the said 99% of supercomputers without a loss in performance?
Anyone could write a replacement. Linux is just the best option available, same goes for phones.

nice Dejan.

>no anime
WTF where do you think you are

Windows has looked like dogshit since 8. Mac OS has also looked like crap for the past few releases.

I don't think Windows has ever looked good.

nice

Welp, I can't argue with those digits.

Maybe, because proprietary-software programmers get paid?

post pape

I liked Win classic ie: win2k ;_;

Attached: 777.jpg (400x183, 17K)

>Yeah but why do i have to be customizing everything for it to look good?
Because looks are subjective? so the more customization you have the closer you can get to your perception of beauty?

That's a default opensuse wallpaper.

>that's one of the reasons linux isn't used more

Linux is used massively around the world to power various infrastructure where dumb normies who care about fancy GUIs aren't aware of or working.

Windows 2000 Pro was a great OS.

>KDE
>Ugly
I don't think so.

Attached: Screenshot_20181215_182037.png (1920x1080, 2.26M)

That's because Gnome, Ubuntu, Systemd, etc. is funded by corporations, whereas most open source developers aren't.

I want a thick task bar like I'm using XP again. Which desktop environment offers this?

>stock theme
>white menu bar on a dark theme
>eye scratching pape
>2 minute uptime

do yourself the favor an actually think

Attached: tumblr_m1m6sm4qeN1qdkyms.jpg (380x367, 72K)

Install Q4OS with TDE.

Linux isn't used more because normies don't know about it, and if they did they wouldn't know how to install it even though it's piss easy to do so. I would bet that a vast majority of normies don't even know what an operating system is.

Attached: snapshot1_0.png (1280x1024, 948K)

dont just nice it
post some gui

KDE literally shits on the hacks creating windows though...

Aside from that caring about "looks" is absolutely retarded, I care about functionality and customizability, where most Linux stuff is light-years ahead.

I fixed some inconsistency
youre welcome

Attached: 1544894532641.png (1920x1080, 3M)

how do you get that windows looking application menu user ?

share pape

>Imblying

Attached: ArchLabs_2018-12-15-00_1920x1080.png (1920x1080, 2.96M)

What is this tablet looking atrocity? Some hipster form of BSD userland?

>Gucci
Leave.

open source projects don't attract good UI designers
this is why only corporate distros can achieve aesthetics

Wren from West Virginny?

is this peak gui kino?

Attached: 1543502795873.png (1920x1080, 2.96M)

Lose the shitty gradient and I'll give you a near yes

why do borders make everything better?

Attached: 1544912392687.png (1920x1080, 3.78M)

What are the fonts, homeslice? Looks nice.

Linux looks way better than Windows or osx but it's shit af.

Aero went out of fashion a decade ago user

glass gui is the best thing ever
it will never go out of fashion

Attached: more glassy.png (1920x1080, 3.79M)

That does look very good. This
however, looks dated as fuck.

i think gnome looks the best

the only reason i don't use it is because it uses too much ram

<
my current desktop

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-15 15-05-46.png (1366x768, 55K)

i used to use manjaro deepin. it was defective as fuck, so i switched to budgie

GNOME and KDE both look fine out of the box.
If you want retarded flatshit with 5 different graphical frameworks, go use Windows.
If you actually care THIS much about the appearance of your desktop, but are simultaneously so fucking lazy that you're not willing to put any effort into something you obviously care about a great deal, then you probably need to read global rule 2 and leave.

I use Neon on my 9 year old, sub-300 shitbook. It runs perfectly. KDE is a little RAM heavy, but it's easy on your CPU and GPU.

>post some actually good looking women
>rules:
>no women

Attached: The Queen and Prince Charles laughing at you, anon.jpg (640x448, 43K)

Assuming you are a Wangdows user, you have no right to be complaining about being given the option to choose in Linux.

Windows looks bland like it's meant to blend into a cubicle farm. MacOs looks like a toy. At least with Linux you can choose your ugly or no wasteful DE at all.

I agree with you, I use Arch Linux and I had to change KDE theme to make it look pretty and shit, but they could just make it look pretty out of the box

What DE is that?
I always stick to Xfeces or cinnamon, but that looks nice

Deepin looks nice, you can use deepin DE on other distros if you want to avoid the (potential) chink analytics that [were] being put in. But then comes the problems that it's not as mature as something like gnome, and linux is already plagued with HW issues, so YMMV.

But I agree, someone at GNOME needs to hire a UI/UX developer, just fucking one and make linux look pretty, make it polished and make it work for desktops.

>just use KDE is most of the answers
>KDE doesn't even work properly using nvidia, the most popular graphics card manafacturer

Although desu, using gnome + dock mode is pretty good for a UI, because I just put it on autohide and put things in fullscreen all the time, all I see is the application and the top bar

>Using a de
Just install openbox and polybar you plebs

Attached: bestdesktop.png (1920x1080, 1.01M)

you don't. how it looks is opinion. OS X and winshit certainly don't look good without customizing them.

Can you run a python 3.6 stack on it?