/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ibm-thinkpad-t42.jpg (1200x969, 242K)

Is a T440s the best option for a college student who wants to also do some light gaming?

>
Intel gpus are not very good even for light gaming.
10 year old games and emulator stuff runs fine tho.

I only want to play things like stardew valley and rocket league, I have an actual PC for heavier gaming

Stardew valley will run fine
Rocket league probably not

As long as stardew runs and I can write essays on it without it weighing a tonne I'll be happy

Why are the backlight settings reset every time you shut the lid or it goes into power saving mode? I have an X1 Carbon which I love but it's pretty annoying and doesn't make any sense having to turn on the backlight every time (yes, I always have it lit). I googled around a bit and found some sort of hack from a Reddit user which doesn't feel particularly safe to use. Why is there no official setting for perpetual backlight settings?

Attached: tpx1c.jpg (775x500, 44K)

Attached: thinkapu.png (1000x800, 401K)

Attached: 20181208_133146.jpg (4160x3120, 2.59M)

Rocket league runs a chink w10 tablet.
At 640*480 to achieve 30 fps, but it runs

ree

Attached: IMG_9856.jpg (906x604, 122K)

Running Mint on my x220, battery life is unpredictable and basically shit. Was great on Windows. Is it my distro of choice? I installed tlp and optimized all the settings (I think)

Get the newest possible thinkpad with an eGPU slot for whatever your budget. Buy a secondhand mid-range/high-range GPU or a 1050 Ti. Should be good enough.

Although I do own a T440p, it its fine enough for light gaming (Dota, Fallout: NV, indie titles, etc) but it isn't my dedicated gaming machine.

Attached: 800px-Justify_the_holocaust.jpg (800x399, 57K)

I'll be impressed if you manage to have problems running stardew.
I'm fairly certain rocket league will run too but no idea on how playable it will be.

Stop posting the same image.

check out this detective

Last thread 404'd in short order before any response. Do you guys pester ebay sellers for photos of the BIOS to make sure there's no passwords and Computrace is deactivated, or just wait for months for an ad to pop up that already has those?

Just got my x230t and I've noted a few things.
>The fan making a lot of noises, heating quite fast, and making some really high pitched sounds for some reason.
>There's a lot of windows (10) updates to do apparently.
>I wonder if the updates can fix the heating/noise problem and if I should do them.
>Even though the charger seems to be dysfunctional (buzzing sounds), can I keep using it when I use the laptop to prevent it to run out of battery until I get a new one (in probably a week) ?
>I still haven't factory reseted it and idk if I should do it before or after installing the updates.

Attached: IMAG1608.jpg (3136x4224, 2.86M)

used to be a die hard x220 user but my new t480 just arrived and it is so nice.

>I still haven't factory reseted it
Can you do this from the BIOS menu? I just got two thinkpads myself and I have some questions.

X200 tablet
>hinge looks off, like itś been twisted or something
>still turns just fine though
Am I gonna have to replace this? I don't trust it.

T530
>battery looks damaged on the side
>bloated
>can push it back into place though
Will I have to replace this too?
>Came with win10 on it
>takes a solid 15 minutes to boot
>unusably unresponsive
>Lubuntu bootable usb works fine though
Is this just windows being bloated, or is something wrong? I think a dual-core at 2.60 hz with 4 gigs ram should be able to open the fucking control panel...

meet locals in person and check.s

Just go to github, search windows 10 there, plenty of scripts to remove stuff that's not needed
Used to run Win 10 on a T530 with the factory default 500gb HDD, didn't really have any issues and it starts in around a minute. Have 8gb ram though and the CPU is an i7 3840QM, but in terms of startup and loading apps it shouldn't have that big of an influence.
Even without the debloating it shouldn't lag that much. Probably updates running, some .Net stuff compiling in the background, indexing, or ukrainian crypto miner.

I live too rurally for there to be any locals.

just bought a ThinkPad l380 Yoga in silver. Am I a cuck?

What would be a good recommendation for an office laptop? It has to be new condition, should be smooth as fuck and not cost more than 600 yurobucks in germanland

So I bought a t450 for basically fuck all, and I'm looking to add an internal battery, anyone have experience with it? Does it provide a decent boost in battery life? It currently has the extended battery, with not a lot of wear.

>ukrainian crypto miner.
honestly the most likely, since like I said, it's unusable. I'm probably gonna install minimalist linux distros on both of these, so losing the Windows license means nothing to me really.

Lubuntu already feels too bloated and buggy for me.

No. You have a normie laptop and can live a happy life and get a gf.

Literally any T-series Thinkpad.

By the way, what's the lowest power consumption anyone has achieved doing average web browsing? Other than tlp and powertop what else can I do?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-16 03-39-16.png (467x66, 10K)

I'm not a Normie, reeeee

It should have the internal battery by default. Is it not there?

When I opened it up there's just a plastic dummy plate where it should be, just assumed there's a configuration without one? It does seem weird because it has the backlit keyboard so it's not the base config.

Whats the normal temp for a x220? Mine is at 90°C idle, what should I do?

With minimum brighteness I can go as low as 3w during idle on t480s/windows 10, with 50% brightness and typical operation i'm running 5-10w, ulv cpus combined with undervolting are extremely efficient.

well something's seriously wrong if that's the case, probably even beyond old thermal paste. could be one or a combination of:

- vapor chamber pipe on the heat sink assembly lost containment
- fan, radiator fins FULL of dust, or fan isn't spinning
- some idiot did a shit job of installing the heat sink assembly and/or forgot thermal paste completely
- you got a bitcoin mining trojan

so look at cleaning the heat sink assembly and make sure the fan spins. if it's still hot (more than 60 idle) replace it outright

Guys, this is very pivotal for me, please respond.

Is there a way to flash Thinkad BIOS back to its stock version/ any older version? In updating the drivers, I flashed the BIOS so now the BIOS date would clearly say 2018 if anyone looked. But the original BIOS date said 2013 when I bought it (seller provided a photo of it). Unfortunately I've found the seller is a fraud who hides damage, so I issued a return request (ebay). But the seller explicitly says in response that he will not accept a return if I changed the operating system or hardware of the laptop.

I didn't change the OS, since I just changed the hard drive out to use mine. But I updated the BIOS version to the latest.

I'm really not trying to deal with the seller's bullshit, so I will wait the six days I have to until I can ask ebay to "step in". But I suspect the seller will be loud about my having updated the BIOS. For the time being I've re-downloaded the BIOS flash installer, and the readme that lenovo hosts alongside it. But I'd rather just flash back to the exact BIOS version the laptop was sold to me in. Is this even possible? Worst comes to worst a human ebay employee with hopefully disregard an official BIOS flash to grant me a refund, but I'd rather it be an irrelevant variable altogether. If I can render it such, is it possible to BIOS flash to an older version, and where are the installers located? Thanks. If it's technically possible, but leads to issues, I guess I'd rather not do it though.

Attached: 1461093346752.jpg (373x346, 47K)

higher resolution I can put on a T440p? I don't care about the ips meme. Is the biggest you can get 1080p?

>he fell for the Thinkpad meme
>cloveros
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHHABBfffHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

1080p is the best you get with 30eDP lines.
1080 ips > 1440p TN anyway in any case

My X230 just got here. What do I need to check before formatting and starting using it?
(I'm thinking Computrace and stuff like that)

Thinkpad memers don't even recommend carbons you spaz
Nice thickpads dude

Were the T410 and T400 screens better than those in the T420? I'm literally suffering from buyer's remorse just because of how atrocious the T420 screen is.

buyers remorse from a cheap thinkpad? What the fuck did you expect from TN?

frig off Mao zenong, we're not buying your new chinkpads

Is it true that old thinkpads only support usb 1.0?

need to transfer the copy of Windows 7 included w/ the laptop to an SSD. no idea how to do this. attempting to download gives me "The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer."

do i have to torrent?

i'm an x220 btw

>buyers remorse from a cheap thinkpad? What the fuck did you expect from TN?

I honestly had not realized how bad it is now that we are used to IPS screens in new computers

what's the screen of an x200t look like compared to the regular x200?

Just get the 1080p ips display and chink adapter.

Attached: IMG_20181210_145519.jpg (1920x1080, 915K)

>don't recommend carbons
Is there any particular reason for this?

I'd prefer the 1440p for font reading probably. But it sounds tempting to see movies on IPS.
user recommended aliexpress for buying the panel but idk, I've had good experiences only with new unopened products. Can't say the same about stuff that is normally sold unpackaged.
aliexpress screen:
e/brL8nGUg
well, the only thing is better against its T counterpart is that is lighter and slimmer, I don't see why it's worth to pay more just for that. Like just get a T series with the same characteristics

I think I fucked up.
Help.

I see, I got it pre-owned though so the price was really good. Don't really see why anyone wouldn't recommend it for someone who wants a slim and light laptop. I mean, to me and many others the portability is the main reason why you choose a laptop in the first place so why not choose one that's as portable and light as possible? Sure, it's a bit more expensive but compared to a Zenbook or Macbook Air it's fairly priced with nice specs and I prefer the businessy feel of the TP series.

Is almost like the whole point of using a laptop instead of a desktop computer is to move it around easily. That's why this thread is fucking retarded. Not only that but the new keyboard feels better, although at first it feels like it lacks buttons, I just enable the fn keys lock, persists across boot

Is the A series, Ryzen line, any good?

I usually ask yes.

just clone the drive...

What's a good older ThinkPad that can be used for gaming, rendering videos, blender, and audio production?

Just put thermal paste on it you smooth brained retard.

Lenovo fucked it up with no dual channel memory, worse battery life and in most occasions worse performance than their intel counterparts.

Why does nobody here have a W-series thinkpad? I just bought my W541 and I'm pretty happy with it

i bought a comsale refurb t520.
some retard painted the edges of screen and covered the rest of the surface with a black plastic.
if I use acetone to remove the paint would that damage the thickpad?

just scored a X220T for $94 USD. what am I in for? planning on using it for school + self-study jap, maybe some light VNs/torrenting

Hey man, I am very interested in buying the adapter for my T430, but I have some questions:

They say the new version eliminates completely the screen flickering, Are you experimenting flickering on you screen?

They also say you cannot use both RAM slots when using the adapter or else screen flickering might appear, I am afraid of loosing my sweet 16GB of ram, Are you using both RAM slots?

Did you managed to fix the screen bleeding caused by the bulk the adapter makes in the back of the screen panel?

How much have you have had it?

Where did you buy it? there are some over ebay and aliexpress, I'd like to buy the best one (adapter and panel, I'm thinking of buying them as together as a kit) money is not a problem

I hope you can shed some light on the matter

>click contact
>browse existing suggestions
>"Please refer to our auction description for an overview of the tests conducted on this item. Unfortunately, once an auction is live, we will not perform any further testing or analysis of the product. "
Well fuck those niggers, time to keep searching.

I have 16 GB in mine, I have no screen flickering or bleed from the adapter, and I bought mine from ebay. The only complaint I have is the screen I got has a little bleed but that's not because of the adapter. Everything else is honestly great.

No, there are some used ThinkPads out there that use Nvidia graphics, but they won't have the classic keyboard. I use a ThinkPad yoga that has a Geforce 940m in it. It still has the TrackPoint and physical mouse buttons. That's all I care about.

How long does your battery last?

Have you experienced any battery duration drecrease since you started using it? I mean, does it consumes any significant more power?

Long time no see jesus

Went from an x61t to an x230t to an x230t in a ~1month span. x230t is the best so far. Make SURE you use the dolby thing for audio, it makes the speakers not sound like ultra mega ass. As far as your heat issues go, clean out that damn heatsink or use tpfancontrol (or both). Might want a new fan too if it is making bad noises, I'm sure it's cheap. Also get a new charger already, a shitty aftermarket one can ruin the charging circuit on your board.

X61t to x220t to x230t*
Nothing much wrong with x220t but the damn display wasn't accurate enough for the wacom pen.

I have a T400 with a 1440x900 screen. And would like to know if i can mod it up to 1080p

I slightly remember Tripcode Q/9! talking about a mod using the Dock Adapter.

Any of ya bois have any info a out this?

> Salty Hiro don't want me to post image >:(

help

revise the OP its almost 2019 now

I was about to pull the trigger on a T440s, but I've just come across a W530 for $60 AUD cheaper.
I liked the 440s because it's lightweight but now I'm wondering if the power of the 530 outweighs its chunkiness.
Any thoughts?

What are some of the best cardbus 2 accessories?

the r61i is probably my all time favorite cheap-pad.

>penitum dual core
>2gb ram
>80gb hdd
>rock solid body, makes an x230 feel like flimsy crap

My only gripe is the horrible screen, but that's most thinkpads isn't it :( Anyways I'm loving this $30 beater pad for basic ubuntu web browsing, and music playing. Doesn't really play high quality video files too well though, that's one thing to note. and the wifi card sucks.

Attached: r61i.jpg (640x480, 24K)

Is it better to get a laptop with an AMD GPU or Nvidia GPU for Linux support?

Has anyone have any experience with the p52? I'm thinking about getting one of the newer thinkpads, but I can't find a use case for the x1 carbon since I don't think they can do any cad work. Leaning towards the P52

incel gpu

intel onboard, seriously
have heard horror stories about the nvidia GPU and even a perfect setup still giving worse performance and battery life under linux than winblows

>from an x61t to an x230t
fuck i couldn't do that, too many downsides from my X61t to an x230t

for linux, Intel is best followed by AMD. The Nouveau (Nvidia) driver is feature complete but low-performance.

I have T430

I just installed Linux, what software is your must have

My thinkpad x220's little strip with the wifi and hard drive lights isn't actually flat all the way. Around the right side where "X220" is written, it seems to be coming off every so slightly. Should I just put some glue behind it so it sticks or is there a better way of keeping it down? I'd take a pic but I can't really capture what I'm talking about with my phone.

Attached: 14937312_360387184299700_7522684708045854060_n.jpg (320x320, 18K)

tlp

What's a good budget laptop for around $500 for mostly office work, and very light / simple gaming (The biggest game played would be on-par with low-mid settings overwatch)

Attached: image0.jpg (1080x1357, 307K)

how robust is a x220?

Quite.

Thinking of getting a T540p with a i7 4600m 8gb. I'm going to be using it for mainly programming and processing is important. Should I get something with a better processor/ upgrade ram or should this be alright?

I'm buying it used and I'm going to replace the keyboard.

You'll only have 2 cores with hyperthreading, so if you need more multithreaded performance for compiling code you'd want to swap it out with something with an MQ suffix

Yeah that's a good point, I'll keep looking. I'm going to be running it with linux, haven't figured out with what yet but I should look for a quad.

Just wanted to tell you people that thanks to you I fell for the Thinkpad meme and it feels really good. Got a T430 with just a dead Trackpoint LMB for cheap and it's a fucking beast. The battery is in good condition too.