Just installed Ubuntu on my mom's laptop instead of Windows Vista...

Just installed Ubuntu on my mom's laptop instead of Windows Vista. All I had to do is to explain her that instead of clicking on top right corner of the browser window to close it she should click on top left corner, and where to click to computer off. She doesn't know what OS is anyway. Why normies still don't use Linux? It's pretty much undistinguishable from Windows as long as you don't play stupid video games.

Attached: pGnNTjpwHh-4.png (300x250, 29K)

Windows is well established and the average normie views linux as a difficult hack os thing

>to close [the browser window] she should click on top left corner
exactly the reason i quit ubuntu -- difference for difference's sake alone

>instead of clicking on top right corner of the browser window to close it she should click on top left corner
why?
there are so many looks to choose from that even copy the standard windows behavior.

But Ubuntu is literally Windows with slightly different icons. There is no readjustment period at all. If you use your computer for browser only like most normies do, it's literally no difference, except that you shouldn't care about viruses anymore and it's completely free. Sound, internet, integrated GPU all work and I didn't even have to adjust anything in the installer and didn't have to install any drivers. Just insert SD card with distro, click install alongside the windows and voila, you use linux.

>It's pretty much undistinguishable from Windows as long as you don't play stupid video games.

>as long as you aren't a professional artist, movie editor, musician etc

>She doesn't know what OS is anyway
It's not to hard to explain to someone what an operating system is.
"Hey do you know iphone has iOS and then android phones like samsung use android OS, and macs you MacOS, they all look and behave differently right? Well Windows is an OS by microsoft, and linux for the most part is community maintained instead of for profit organisations such as microsoft"
To me this always seems to work pretty well, just use what is common to them as a slingshot into a solid explanation.

>Why normies still don't use Linux?
They do, it's called Android. The reason they don't use it on desktop is because they just use what comes pre-installed.

>Download a linux eyeso? What's that? Holy fuck there's so many linuxes how do I choose the right one?
>Now I have to write it to a flash drive? I copy pasted the file but it's not working?
>Ooook, I guess I'll let you figure that part out for me.
>It's not working, it's still booting into windows
>Just changed the settings in the bee eye oh ess? I dunno user, I don't wanna break my computer...
>Fine, whatever. Ok now it's running, thanks user.
>Wait, I have to install it first. What the fuck, how am I supposed to know how to 'partition' this shit?
>WHAT THE FUCK user THIS DELETED ALL MY FILES
>WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANT RUN THIS EXE
That's how teaching normies linux goes down 99% of the time.

>difference for difference's sake alone
Why do UX devs always do this? It's not just freetards either. Like how every fucking brand of Android phone has a different button order. What's wrong with consistency when it costs nothing? Is shit like this patented or something?

>mom added a sketchy 3rd party ppa off a cooking website and ran sudo apt upgrade and broke the family computer

I gave my mother OpenSUSE back in the day on a shitbox HP laptop that only really ran well with Linux anyhow. She freakin' loved that thing.

>she should click on top left corner
ubuntu things

only if an idiot like you teach them
my father's perfectly fine with his linux since i moved him to it

you the idiot for letting your mother use an OS that has a different layout than windows

you should've installed someone like xfce or cinnamon for her

Which 99.9% are not.

based and redpilled

No it’s not. Try installing a .exe on Linux without messing with WINE. It won’t work. Linux is not just Windows with a different layout. It’s a fundamentally different OS

I've refurbished one of my old laptops as a ghetto HTPC with Ubuntu installed. One of my room mates complains that he can't just log in immediately, like Windows. But iirc if I set it to log in automatically it'll ask for the wifi credentials before it connects. Is there any way to auto log in and get the wifi to work right away?

Why didn't you install a Windows Vista theme on it?

there is, look it up on google

because getting flash to work is a pain so normies can't play their facebook games
I tried doing this but graphics performance on old hardware is shit (don't give me the linix is good for old hardware shit, it only applies to headless, windows drivers are better)

Yeah, if OP put Mint on there, they wouldn't need to re-train their mom for that shit.

>not kubuntu
>not lowering her learning curve
you should've been aborted

My parents used Linux for a while because my brother thought it would be easier to be a family sysadmin with Linux than Windows. It worked fine for them but now they're using Windows again. I won't change their operating system until at least when they get new computers. I like Windows because drivers are better. I might move to Linux or Mac in the future but not, as I said, until my computer dies and I have to get a new one.

>I sit at my "Linux makes me l33t h4x0r" shitbox all day ricing and posting on Jow Forums
>I am super-autistic and think everyone else is the same
>except those winblows faggots that should be expelled to /v/ cos all they do is play games
>since I do absolutely nothing useful or productive on my computer, at least 99.9% of people don't either
This is why people think you're stupid and mock you all the time, user. The most annoying part is that your meme/cope copypasta belief system is common on Jow Forums, and turboautists can't handle the concept of how disconnected from reality they are. So they bleat memes like the broken NPCs they are, until undamaged people go "fuck this shit" and walk away. This is why Jow Forums is the Market For Lemons-type wasteland that it is.

Attached: 1544081335459.png (629x1173, 131K)

underage detected

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Faggot.
he literally said that it doesn't matter for normies who only use their pc's for browsing
[spoiler]at that point they should just be using a chromebook instead, honestly[/spoiler]