Name a better app than Notepad++ for the programmer?

Name a better app than Notepad++ for the programmer?

Attached: NotepadPlusPlusPortable.png (800x600, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/VSCodium/vscodium
micro-editor.github.io/
qt.io/buy-product/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

PSPad n00b

inb4 visual studio botnet

Sublime text, vim, emacs, literally anything

ed

Sublime

Once you go vim you never go back

notepad++ is free

an IDE

Pretty much anything

It's a useful tool, but I wouldn't call it the most useful. Though props to it for not fucking up the whole lightweight thing. I can't tell you how many programs that are basically just rendering and pushing text back in fort take forever to load and forever to alt-tab to when you haven't used it a while. I'm looking at YOU Postman. And YOU Atom.

>I'm looking at you
I think I may have found your problem user

emacs

Probably. The Java-based apps I use don't have the same problem. They still tend to be 10 times more memory than they need to be, but they'll respond as soon as you alt-tab to them.

OP said for the programmer, not for the basement-dwelling NEET who can't afford a few bucks for the tools they use to make a living.

so is vim and emacs. If you mean free as in "free of useful features and plugins" then I guess notepad is the best choice

Although actually, VSCode doesn't have the same problem, but I don't use it enough that I'd notice.

>he uses a paid glorified write.exe
vim and emacs and sublime users forever btfo

vsc, it's basically a lightweight ide at this point with plugins.
>inb4 electron
it runs just fine

>he runs an entire chromium instance for editing text
Yikes

go make a better cross platform ui framework then, people would be very happy

ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR

It's called Qt

Emacs. Fast, reliable, extensionable

vim

Can confirm. VSCode doesn't suffer from this as much as atom. VSCode has a crap ton of rendering issues when working in a VM but it's pretty snappy. Fucking atom takes a solid 30 seconds to load on a 6 core 12 thread processor with 64gb of ram.

fuck off. Cross platform frameworks are for lazy coders. Use native technologies

To all the fags saying VScode, check out VSCodium. github.com/VSCodium/vscodium

My brothers

>isn't packaged as an Appimage
Ffs

nano

>implying vim and emacs isn't free

Attached: 1541813401678.jpg (480x451, 57K)

Jesus, go easy on him, user.

unironically, micro
micro-editor.github.io/

qt is bloated, nonfree, on top of that it's very limited and is nowhere near consistent looking across systems and never will be. electron is.

>nonfree
It's not
>electron is consistent
It's not. Electron apps don't look like native apps at all. And you're still using a fucking browser to display shit over it which adds an insane amount of overhead. If you're not going to use a lighter cross-platform solution then make native interfaces for each OS.

scite

more like Shite

>And you're still using a fucking browser to display shit over it
That's exactly what browsers are designed to do.

>which adds an insane amount of overhead.
It really doesn't.

This is another one of those superstitions. Because web programmers are bad at their job and because browsers cache pretty much every page you've ever been to in case you go back to them resulting in huge memory spikes, people think browser is nothing but bloat. But the modern browser DOM is the single most comprehensive GUI library in existence and billions of man-hours have been spent making it efficiently. So unless you're directly accessing the native display APIs .

Because there is a bunch of JIT compile cache and garbage collection garbage it WILL be memory-heavy in the same way that JVM-based apps are, but in terms of processing speed, a well-designed Electron app (which is really the REAL tripping point) is going to be within an order of magnitude of any framework-based native app.

consistent != native.
consistent is when i open it on linux, and then on windows, and it looks the exact same or near indistinguishable. no other framework has achieved this.
>it's completely free
qt.io/buy-product/

>Name a better app than Notepad++ for the programmer?
The Linux software ecosystem as a whole.

>notepad double plus ungood

yadda yadda who gives a fuck, cross platform frameworks are a mistake. Sublime Text is the best example of a good cross platform app.

A magnet

>It really doesn't.
>hundreds of MB wasted on simple communication apps when a native alternative uses less than 50MB RAM and less CPU power
>same applies to text editors

>consistent != native
Why the fuck would Linux users care how software looks on windows? Why would windows users care? Looking native and not wasting resources on a shitty framework is more important.
>it's completely free
It is. It's a commercial product if you want to build proprietary shitware, but otherwise it's free to use and open source.

Sublime is free as in WinRAR

>why the fuck would linux users care how software looks on windows
how are you missing the point this hard? the idea is that it looks the same regardless of what OS you're on, it's a framework that allows you to make your own custom UI.
>it's free only on our terms
it's not free then.

>it's not free then.
It's open source, it's free.

>yadda yadda who gives a fuck
Grow up retard

>But the modern browser DOM is the single most comprehensive GUI library in existence
The DOM (document object model) is not nor has it ever been a GUI library. You don't understand the thing you're shilling but pretend like your opinion is meaningful, webshits are dumb.

>qt is bloated, nonfree, on top of that it's very limited and is nowhere near consistent looking across systems and never will be. electron is.
>electron
this is bait

Man, these qt shills are on full force tonight.
t. sublime text

electron shills absolutely BTFOd

Notepad++ is wintard software.

in during having to look up a tutorial on how to use your fucking text editor and fuck around with a bunch of settings is for pro hackers, just downloading the fucking text editor and opening it and typing is gay proprietary microshilling

Attached: 1539604179259.jpg (443x455, 40K)

no, it's the sad reality. why do you think they're using it even for a fucking text editor? because it's the best cross platform ui framework. google has already done all the hard work, all they needed to do was bundle it up as a desktop application. then again your mind is probably clouded by the unwarranted anger you likely feel towards electron/chromium (FOSS)

Attached: gabu.jpg (800x450, 90K)

Did you buy Windows too

Why don't we just call them Appgrammers?

jed or geany if you must have clicks

the ONLY thing notepad++ has over notepad2-mod is tabs which aren't a killer for me.

start fap now.

i was gonna jerk it later user

eclipse

>unwarranted anger you likely feel towards electron/chromium
its bullshit to use a fucking browser for ui
>(FOSS)
so that means we're supposed to like it?

It is pretty silly I do agree but it runs well on my shitty laptop and I'm happy with it. About the unwarranted anger I'm more talking about people who will immediately tell you to end your life if you use Chromium and not Firefox.

>qt is bloated
>use electron
3/10 made me reply

what's a good alternative to notepad++ for linux?

geany but there are some major bugs and devs dont give a shit about it

>CTRL+F
>kate
>'no results'
Really, how come?

There are better apps for specific tasks, nevertheless Notepad++ is still a great piece of software that I wouldn't want to be without on a Windows platform.

KATE

no user both are bloated, but user was suggesting that the good non bloated electron alternative that can do the same was qt.

vim, emacs
done

Visual studio code

vim if you want an easily extensible editor with a fairly large and dedicated community, emacs if you want your editor to also be a separate operating system, I wouldn't even consider anything else. Don't discount purpose-built IDE either, for all the shit people give them they can definitely improve your workflow and efficiency.

>muh poor thinkpad is going up in flames
OP said programmer, not basement dweller.

unused ram is wasted ram.

notepad, that fancy shit makes careless programmers

Unused internet throughput is wasted throughput
Unused pcie bandwidth is wasted bandwidth
Unused usb slots is wasted usb slots
Unused peripherals are wasted peripherals (webcam, microphone)
Unused ports are wasted ports (just get a macbook lol)

ed, vi, vim, nano, pico, micro emacs, etc. Even pure sed or awk would better than this shit

qt is free until you want to use it in propriety software

>literally anything
/thread

>Unused internet throughput is wasted throughput
It really is. You could be seeding right now.

your ram is powered on at all times, sitting at low usage. why would you not use it? also

Sublime Text is also free. Just use the universal license key.

therefore it's not free. if they're telling you what to do with it, you're not free.

nice (outdated) proprietary software nigger.

Attached: ur_a_niger.gif (320x240, 2.36M)

all op*n source editors look shit compared to notepad++

Attached: ger.png (1054x972, 207K)

you LITERALLY don't need anything other than regular notepad. prove me wrong

Attached: notepad.png (1438x863, 131K)