Why does tech pays so well?

Attached: 1518228837062.png (663x762, 231K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/bibanon/bibanon/wiki/American-Dream
nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator
cbsnews.com/news/irs-says-no-to-free-silicon-valley-meals/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bubble sustained by deep-pocket VCs.

A large part of it, honestly. Being profitable is so 2005. The hot new thing is funding a start-up that hemorrhages money in the hopes that they get bought out by [insert megacorp in their field] and they can cash in.

satan pays well

Because companies like Google are selling worldwide

There's a lot of people in the world.

Much better than chasing what few customers are in your area.

Omg like capitalism is so based and redpilled and everyone should only survive on their own merit except when a company gets big then its a problem and shouldn't be allowed

Attached: 1541446610402.png (1159x665, 231K)

>Insanely easy to expand versus the traditional manufacturing and logistics of selling physical products
>Relatively miniscule amount of employees

And still employees live in vans on the parking lot because the cost of living is so inflated near those jobs even with multiple hour commute.

Building the dystopian future everyone wanks over ain't cheap.

Only the top 0.1% of tech people are able to work for these companies

But Google isn't even a tech company.

It pays so well people have to live in cars to survive. Nice meme btw.

are you impersonating Jow Forums users

>In San Francisco, 59% of employees at tech companies can't afford homes, Business Insider's Melia Robinson previously reported, citing stats from Blind, an app for tech workers.

Don't be retarded, you can live very comfortably in SV with 70k net. And 350k/year is making far more than 70k net.

they need to pay well otherwise there will be no incentive for people to move in to a $2,500/mo 250ft^2 studio with bums shitting and shooting up on the sidewalk outside

Imagine telling yourself that Google workers live in their cars in order to cope with the fact that you'll never be able to get a job there.

Sour grapes are sour.

>wanting to work at google
Toppest of keks.

>not wanting to retire when you're 35
yikes!

>I don't want to w-work at Google anyways!
you proved my point about sour grapes

COPE
O
P
E

First it's mostly inflation due to cost of living. The poverty level in SF is an annual income of less than $100,000. So relatively they are not that well off. Second, is the labor market of qualified people is limited, which is why they are trying to diversify labor. Which in reality means over saturating the labor market so they can pay employees significantly less.

If you feel the need to retire that early, you probably have a shit job. Also, don't think that it will actually happen.

I did an internship at Google. Never again.

Working at a big corp is the least comfy of jobs. You're expendable and abused because you work "for your dream".

>The poverty level in SF is an annual income of less than $100,000. So relatively they are not that well off.
Bullshit dude, if they are making 350k they are taking home 210k. Let's say they live off 100k which is a lot even with $3000-$4000 per month rents , that means they can save 100k a year towards retirement or fuck-you money. Can you save 100k a year in your 120k/year job in a flyover state? No? Didn't think so.

Silicon Valley software developers simply make more money than you and save more. Any talk of "cost of living" is just COPE from people who can't make the cut.

this, i'm making 400k and life is good

google's 401k match alone is almost 10k in free money

>35
I'll have a $1m net worth by 27. Planning to buy a house in Alaska and play video games the rest of my life after that.

Because unlike what Jow Forums neets tell you, the demand for tech people is always growing, so the big boys have to throw money around to attract the talent

>not realizing with inflation food will cost $1m in 10 years time

>not realizing that pretty much any investment outpaces inflation
The state of idiots on Jow Forums.

this isn't Argentina senpai

>>not realizing that pretty much any investment outpaces inflation
kek, you'll lose everything

10-year bonds literally outpace inflation retard, why are you talking?

$350,000 in SF translates to 168K in Columbus, OH - for example. I agree that's still a lot, but you are still exaggerating. Regardless, this supports my second point about a labor shortage inflating wages

Depends if their 401K is diversified or in alphabet stock only. Alphabet stock can always fall

Again, these tech companies agree, they think they're overpaying as well, but they have no choice but to. They're making efforts by demanding more STEM education so that there is more competition in the labor market

>implying cpi and .gov/fed inflationary indexes include anything that is actually applicable

You are retarded. First off Google is not in San Francisco. Second, does not cost $182,000 extra per year to live in Mountain View compared to Columbus. If I was earning $350,000 a year in Mountain View I would not move to a bumfuck flyoverland city for any less than $300,000.

Ah, the "you can't know nuffin, it's all a lie" poster is here to tell us what the real inflation figures are (pulled straight from his ass, of course)

The only reason to move from CA to flyover land is to retire and/or do something else.

Make big bucks in SV for 10 years, stack money and then move to some low-cost of living flyover state and live comfortably with minimal need to punch clock and all the time to work on whatever projects you want.

They don't. The areas with employers in these fields all have ludicrous COL. these people barely save money even with $100,000 salaries.

Does the bubble only really apply to Americans? I live in Europe and make $70k from my job. I'm curious if the bubble popping in America would heavily impact my salary

bubble popping doesn't actually hit tier 1 like Google much, it's everyone else that suffers

>work for yahoo
AAAAH I WANT TO KILL MYSELF

Attached: 1535202630857.png (225x225, 69K)

>Verizon signals its Yahoo and AOL divisions are almost worthless
HAHAHAHA

If you work in a completely worthless organization, you are free. Nothing you do matters.

github.com/bibanon/bibanon/wiki/American-Dream

Because top software engineers are contributing even more value to the company they work for.

Tech doesn't pay that well, it's just one of the few jobs that scaled with cost of living in the past couple decades. It's mostly that other fields don't pay enough.

>Can you save 100k a year in your 120k/year job in a flyover state?
You probably could.

You would pay more than 20k in taxes, so no.

>hurr dishwashers like me should make 300k but the joos

>illegal income sources
>sleezy income sources
>criminal investors
>government partnerships
>global customers
>reduced brickNmortar requirements

>Everyone in Jow Forums has the same opinion
Fuck off back to rebbit

So they can pay their student loan debts and still be able to buy food.

Everyone in Jow Forums literally does have the same opinion, retard, because anyone with a differing opinion gets shouted down.

Jesus fuck Christ. Are illiterate to the real world? Where the fuck do you think is alphabet's HQ? Is it not by the bay area?

>nerdwallet.com/cost-of-living-calculator

Do you not understand how the fuck the world works? How cost of living works compares to other areas.

You're legitimately hopeless.

The bay area is not SF and cost of living calculators always are out of whack especially for places on end of the bell curve like Silicon Valley.
Majority of your expense increase will be rent so to get a sense just browse craigslist or other apartment listings in area near whatever company HQ.

at least you're stable enough, unless someone like Mayer crash down Yahoo for good.

Cost of living is retarded. Your expenses do not go up with income unless you are an idiot.

>The bay area is not SF
Glad to know I'm dealing with a literal retard

You can get an apartment in MTV within biking distance of Google HQ for $2500 a month. Please tell me how it somehow costs $200,000 a year more to live there from your dumb "cost of living" calculations.

Christ do you fall to realize that cost of living is more than rent?

All the older companies are south of SF by a good bit retard, look at a map for once.
If you're living in SF proper and commuting to the Google HQ you're retarded or have to live in city.
They have a bunch of offices south of that in Sunnyvale as well which is even cheaper.

Yup, I totally forgot that apples cost $170,000 in California. You really are an idiot.

The vast majority of the increase will be in rent.
Where are these other expenses coming from? You can even buy most shit online these days in which case I pay same as some guy in middle of nowhere.

You could put 25k into tax deferred retirement accounts, then your average tax would be under 20k. You'd have 70-ish left, probably live on 25, save 90k easily.

Are you deliberately trying to come off as being obtuse?

Are you actually this retarded? You never answered the question.

>we pay low wages in a city known for ridiculous cost of living
>why can't we find employees?

Attached: tumblr_olrwci9wev1upwnswo1_640.gif (576x238, 1.95M)

Which question did you ask?
Or do you think economies are built around $170,000 apples?

Hmmm I bet google would not pay the same for someone working remote in Montana, per say.
It's painfully obvious theres going to be a recession with such ridiculous prices in places such as SV

Nah I'm a programmer. I basically go into work, say some shit during standup, browse the web, jerk off in the bathroom, browse the web some more, send some emails, take a long lunch, browse the web some more, program for a couple hours and leave.
I get paid 2-3x as much as my friends who work long hours doing medical research.

I'm asking how it costs $200,000 more a year to live in Silicon Valley compared to flyover land. And all you do is keep parroting "muh cost of living calculator" instead of giving concrete evidence.

The other expenses are coming from the fact that other businesses have to pay their own rent, and the fact that the other people providing you with their services have to pay their own cost of living

Christ I simply googled a cost of living calculate. Are you incapable of doing the same?

What services? You really think going to the mechanic is going to cost an extra $200,000? You really are retarded.

>and the fact that the other people providing you with their services have to pay their own cost of living
These services being what?
>eat free company meals 5x week
>groceries marginally more expensive
>can buy anything else online

Holy shit, is Jow Forums this incapable of comprehending how cost is living works? A mechanic won't cost you an extra 200K. But he will cost you significantly more because he has his own expensive rent and bills to pay. Jesus Christ take an econ class

A cost of living calculator indicates that the cost of living in Columbus, OH is about 50% of the cost of living in San Francisco. But if only a limited percentage of my income goes towards cost of living, it doesn't mean I need 2x the income in San Francisco.

More power to you. Take advantage of the corporate handouts all you want.

So are you saying that it all adds up to $200,000? How in any way is that reasonable? Are you really this gullible to believe whatever some stupid calculator says?

No it literally means you need exactly 2x the Columbus money to live the same lifestyle.

If you took a pay cut of 70% and moved there you'd be wealthier.

>handout
It's part of my employment lol.

>taxed on those company meals as income
>written off by the company
>significantly greater than what they paid for it

Mother fucker are you this fucking stupid? The poverty level in SF is 100K! In any bum fuck mid West Town it'd be around 15k. There's levels to this shit

Why do you keep mentioning SF? Do you have some secret desire to live there or something? My annual expenses in MTV is 40k. I could live there off 50k a year. Instead I earn 7x that and pocket 200k a year after taxes and living expenses. Tell me how much you save in bumfuck flyoverland?

But if you made $100k instead of $350k, and your expenses were $40k per year, you'd still pocket $60k/year! And that's better because of online cost of living calculators!

Still, a handout. A free lunch is a perk to keep you as an employee. If they didn't offer you that - but their competitor down the street did. Than the competitor down the street would possibly gain you as their employee to build them a better product

>A bigger paycheck is a perk to keep you as an employee. If they didn't offer you that - but their competitor down the street did. Than the competitor down the street would possibly gain you as their employee to build them a better product

You make 280k and you pocket 200k a year after taxes? You're a liar or you're cheating on tax.

Free food isn't taxed if it's provided on premises for employee convenience.

cbsnews.com/news/irs-says-no-to-free-silicon-valley-meals/

Again, my original point about why tech companies are encouraging more people to take up STEM. Then want more candidates so that they can depress their wages. Fuck take an economics class

What the fuck does that do with "handouts" you inbred hick?

>2014
>still not paying taxes
Lolk, it's sure to happen eventually buddy.

It doesn't have to do with shit. You fuck. Each company is competing to hire the best candidates by offering them the best perks (handouts). The best candidates give them the potential of providing the best product over their competitor.

Again, do you fail to grasp the labor side of capitalism?

So a larger paycheck is also a handout?

Is a paycheck not a handout?

that's just Impostor syndrome, most people who work "long hours" don't actually do much, they work for 3-4 hours and spend the rest of the time pretending to work.

humans just aren't built to focus on one task for 8+ hours a day unless it's brainless repetitive shit.

it was supposed to and if you're company isn't doing it, they bribed someone.

Nice larp

I only mention SF because it is the prime example of silicon valley running amuck with cost of living (100K being the poverty line is ludicrous).

well technically, if it's not taxed then it's not income, so yeah it's a handout.