Is my drive failing?

I have a WD 1TB Blue that I keep all my media files on. Lately Foobar has been hanging up during music playback and I just noticed that random files throughout my collection of TV shows have missing thumbnails, wont open (in MPV or VLC) and come up as 0 bytes in the properties tab. SMART says the drive is fine. Never had a drive fail so I don't really know what to expect. Sounds like a software issue or failing drive?

Attached: Capture.png (987x489, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=EXT4-Linux-4.19-Corruption
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.19-4.20-BLK-MQ-Fix
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thank you for using Jow Forums tech support.
Please wait.

I just wanna know if this is characteristic of a failing drive

could be but it's also characteristic of mp4 being a loose collection of codec standards which may or may not work with thumbnailers.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

SMART said its fine.

seems like a problem with the filesystem and windows fucking up

Can you move, rename, or delete them? If so and SMART says its fine then it's probably fine. Who knows what fucked up your files.

Maybe explorer fucking up.
Try to access your problematic files properties using the command prompt.
If it works, it's just explorer

I can move, delete, etc. but it seems to have no effect on the file. Still 0 bytes.

I don't think it's Explorer. Terminal shows 0 bytes. It seems to be limited only to this specific folder (TV-Film) and my music folder on the same drive appears to be unaffected. Very strange.

Attached: Capture.png (864x273, 25K)

Only thing that comes to mind is that I ran CCleaner yesterday... But the file properties show that they haven't been modified since creation.

do the files work?

if so then probably not. it's a thumbnail issue. install libav. that's probably why it does that

Attached: mpv-shot0026.jpg (1080x1920, 342K)

That's weird.
A failing HDD won't conveniently only lose 2 files entire content and leave everything else intact.

The files don't work. Even if I try to open from command line.

Yeah It's got me stumped. Some subfolders are completely fine, others have random files reporting 0 bytes. Here's another subfolder with the same thing.

forgot pic

Attached: Capture.png (827x711, 107K)

Try to run CHKDSK on the drive

Had a similar issue, but instead of 0 byte files it was more like media files skipped and showed artifacts when playing.

Tried a billion things and nothing seemed to fix it. Replaced the SATA cable and connected it to a different SATA port and never had an issue again.

Thanks for the advice. CHKDSK reported errors so I ran CHKDSK /r and it's currently at 10%. Fingers crossed.

Thanks, I'll try this if CHKDSK fails to fix it.

>ntfs
Oh no no no nooooo

Attached: images(12).jpg (194x260, 6K)

Try a linux live usb, see if the drive works normally from there.

Also, maybe its time to organize a drive or NAS that can do (preferably automatic) backups regardless.

I've been planning on dual booting WIn10 and Mint for a while so I'll probably install it tonight and see if it handles the files differently. I actually just set up an 8TB NAS. That's when I noticed this problem, as I was moving my files onto the NAS.

What would be better for a windows partition with large files?

Well CHKDSK was a dead-end :/

gonna play around with the SATA cables and try to boot Linux I guess

Attached: Capture.png (502x736, 36K)

You deserve it for watching that shitty show

first of all, if you value the data on it clone the drive RIGHT NOW with ddrescue or similar

next you want to test every sector on the device, many tools for this, seatools, stablebit etc just google

if still no problem you want to test drive in separate machine, with different sata cable, with different sata power cable, with different sata port, make sure to check all 3

>What would be better for a windows partition with large files?
ext4

Check windows event viewer under system. If any disk events are listed then review them. Then backup your data on that disk. Sometimes drives can just shit themselves or a loose cable will cause fuck ups. Windows disk manager/SMART sometimes won't notice anything wrong with drive if say it's a bitrot problem or similar. A unexpected power failure can cause data fuck ups as well.

I got a drive with some bad sectors. It's a freenas box that's just a backup dump so no big deal. Point is I got alerted via e-mail alert about it and since this is not my only copy of data its no big thing to fix. I needed to upgrade the disks in it anyway so this worked out pretty nice.

>what is RAID
>what are backups
Why does this thread even exist

To be fair, raid won't help with bitrot. if data damage exists on one drive it'll just get copied to the other. Raid is only for if disks shit themselves and die. Backups are to help with bitrot. as is a UPS

>I'll probably install it tonight and see if it handles the files differently.
That would also work, I guess. But just to make it clear: Doesn't really matter if you're running it from a live USB stick either.

As long as you test it with that rather than Windows, you're using basically entirely different software and if you still have the issue, it's probably hardware (or firmware).

> I actually just set up an 8TB NAS. That's when I noticed this problem, as I was moving my files onto the NAS.
Even better; if it happens to just be a Windows issue you can finish this from Linux' side, maybe without interruptions.

>To be fair, raid won't help with bitrot. if data damage exists on one drive it'll just get copied to the other.
Actually no, that shouldn't happen with RAID6 and so on. And it should react to bit rot by repairing it, because it's clear which is the defective copy.

>one (1) 1tb blue WD
guy is clearly poor or a normie, RAID doesn't exactly fit his use case

can windows finally natively read ext partitions or does it still need some hacky third party program?

>he doesn't know
*breathes in*
AAAAHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=EXT4-Linux-4.19-Corruption

>he doesn't know

Attached: 1544928027061.png (478x304, 11K)

> very few users on some kernel have a corruption issue that doesn't necessarily look like an ext4 one
I think at least a million Windows users have the same thing. And then NTFS issues on top.

>he can't read
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Attached: 1415844612988.png (700x700, 340K)

>he doesn't know
*breathes in*
AAAAHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-4.19-4.20-BLK-MQ-Fix

Hey you faggots, learn to read. I noticed the problem when I was copying my files to my 8TB RAID so suck my ass.

Run a long smartmontools scan on the drive or a extended test with WinDlg

Attached: 1483424438135.jpg (700x537, 59K)

>what is RAID
Wouldn't have helped him. This is a filesystem issue.

>not btrfs

Just use crystal disk info.

>NTFS

Attached: 928891ccb587226e0fe7db04f22bf9c086b56ada397520e94422be0becacd12b.jpg (680x709, 75K)

Have you ever watched or moved those files before? You could get that sort of thing if you started a torrent and never finished it.

Had a drive die recently, and that was the first tell. Occasional hangs and skipping during video playback. Eventually got more frequent until the drive was nearly unusable. Took me a couple days with robocopy to back things up at mind-numbingly slow speeds. Do it now.

Oh, and crystal disk info also showed the drive health as caution, so check that as suggested.

It's 2018, don't know why everyone isn't on btrfs by now