So, I just got a Raspberry Pi 3 as a gift from a friend, what cool shit should I do with this thing

So, I just got a Raspberry Pi 3 as a gift from a friend, what cool shit should I do with this thing.

Im pretty illiterate at coding btw, so keep it relatively simple, thanks.

Attached: raspberry_pi_logo111.png (1200x670, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bju_FdCo42w&index=1&list=PLtK75qxsQaMLZSo7KL-PmiRarU7hrpnwK
raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133691
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pihole DNS

Neat concept, dont really see a practical use though. Very cool never the less.

blocking ads isnt useful? are you dumb?

Why would I have something dedicated to a process that I can perform with a chrome extension?

This is Jow Forums. Niggas here just do complicated shit to perform a function that could be done with a solution already available and easy to use.
Look at the retards that swear by Linux.
Ubuntu more like Cuckbuntu lmao.

It's supposed to be able to block in-app ads on your smartphone if you're connected to wifi and make it easy to bypass ad blocker detection like on many news sites (Forbes, etc.). I don't know that it's really worth the money, but it could be fun to set up.

Buy a thinkpad x200 and use your pi to libreboot it

I use Linux at work

An automatic dildo

>An automatic dildo

Implying I dont already have one.

There's always RetroPi (a Pi Zero in the photos)

Attached: mtk1ztc2ymul.jpg (1440x1080, 147K)

Simple:
>Kodi Mediacenter
>Router / OnionPI

Advanched:
>SmartCar
>SmartMirror
>SmartHome

And the best: You get updates and it respects your privacy!

Get a laser pointer/receiver. Use it as the receiver to light a match after 3 blinks from the laser... Bonus points if it can release a spring loaded nail.

Can't jam lasers.

Is this the next level home alone trap? lol

Because it blocks everything on anything connected to your network? phones, computers, tablets all without having to install anything on those devices taking up resources.

> home firewall

>brainlet uses chrome lol
not even gonna bother

>block in-app ads
>he doesn't use libre apps

Serious answer:
- flash a micro sd with raspbian
- familiarize yourself with the os
- tweak it to remove overscan
- customise the lxde panel, wallpaper etc
- tweak it to boot vertically
- learn to use the terminal cd ls pwd, etc..
- install a few thing with apt-get, apt-cache etc
- break something fix it feel proud
(in my case i accidentally purged my locales and had weird characters in my terminal)

ok what else

-realise lxde and pixels are shit and default raspbian is bloated
- install the lite version and start all over again
- install xfce and rice it (icons themes gtk themes etc)
- ssh shit from your main machine (wpa_supplicant to set the wifi, papes etc)
- learn about bash >> | && and all that shit
- rice your terminal (cmatrix, sl, pipes.sh, nms etc)
- install retropie on top of raspbian (not the easy retropie install for faggots)

etc etc etc

install apache and mysql? use dhcp on your box to access the pi from outside after securing it, ports ip ban etc

code shell scripts? install arch arm? learn a language etc

can i install gentoo?

also you have all the gpio aspect to play with electronic stuff and python (i mostly use arduino and other stuff and didn't try that yet)

you also have the kali stuff to learn pen-testing and 733T hxor additional stuff or tuts on yt about sys-administration and networking

also
the official case is great
the hdmi sound is better than the 3.5mm sound

don't be afraid to destroy everything to test and learn, the point of the pi is it not being your main allow you to be careless about fucking things up so treat it like a vm experiment

i know about the official raspbian (stretch) which is obviously a special debian working with arm architecture (also stretch is the octopus in toy story, every debians have toy story names)

about a arch version (arch arm), i think there is a ubuntu version, not sure about the rest

honestly, installing the lite version (cli only and minimal bloat) is a good way to approach linux
installing xorg and another de yourself

i think you can either follow one of this paths:
- install a cli only setup and learn the shell
- get a breadboard and electronic components and learn electronic and python
- install whatever you want and learn about linux and maybe networking or programming

or be a lazy fag and just use one of the ready made stuff for the pi, install it and you're done

i think the best if you're a beginner would be to install default raspbian and go from there

recommandation for learning a few things
youtube.com/watch?v=bju_FdCo42w&index=1&list=PLtK75qxsQaMLZSo7KL-PmiRarU7hrpnwK

replacing the default environment
raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133691

>he uses the biggest browser most websites are designed for and tested on, i am not going to bother

Attached: 1451303124523.png (963x720, 602K)

>don't see a practical use though
Get a load of this guy, he wants his pi to have a practical use

in terms of practical use you could set up an openvpn server with a samba share (network storage) and access any media on your phone or laptop just by connecting to your vpn. I do this at uni and its probably the most useful thing I do with my pi. I also have transmission-daemon running inside the share.