/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1523100908338.gif (512x384, 2.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/src
git.suckless.org/sbase/files.html
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dash/dash.git/tree/src
github.com/WebMBro/WebMConverter
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter)
github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/VP8
gist.github.com/phiresky/4bfcfbbd05b3c2ed8645
home.iprimus.com.au/cojoco/rms/RichardAndTheParrots.html
song.godword.faith:8000/godsong
song.godword.faith:8000/godsong[javascript:;/code]
godword.faith
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Anime
Hi!
Go to Hell.

What is the fastest way to convert Twitter or Instagram video/gif into a 3mb soundless Jow Forums webm

Is there some ready made script?

Post interesting distributions.

I mean shit like NixOS and GoboLinux.

i have neon and i want to install qbittorrent
do i pick the ubuntu install or what?
i think it's based on ubuntu right?

didn't mean to reply to you fren
very sorry

Attached: 532421124.jpg (1418x644, 85K)

My new Manjaro KDE install lags like fuck after a few hours of uptime. It's so bad my cursor disappears and hotkeys to close windows take about 10 seconds to work. I usually have to just press the reboot button on the tower. It's not CPU thermals and doesn't appear to be RAM. What are some common failures of KDE or Manjaro that could cause this?

Ryzen 7 2700X
GTX 1060 6GB with nouveau
kernel 4.19.6

It happened most recently when all I had running was a video stream in Firefox, but I once had it happen after the computer had been idle for about 6 hours with nothing running.

I've been running htop, s-tui- and gtop for the past 2 hours and nothing unusual is coming up. It feels like a plasma issue but I can't get a terminal to open to kill and restart it. I guess I could make a keybind for that. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't seem to work to kill X.

what are the minimum hardware requirements to run KDE plasma smooth enough to be usable?
there are no official documentations on this
i tried it earlier on a 2 (logical) core vm with 1 gb ram and it stutters to a point which is unusable

Attached: image.jpg (300x168, 8K)

linux tip: if you want to know how your favourite cool terminal command or c library function works, make sure you don't read the code for the gnu implementation or you might get the idea that c code is obtuse and hard to understand by nature
i've found these more useful:
git.musl-libc.org/cgit/musl/tree/src
git.suckless.org/sbase/files.html
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/dash/dash.git/tree/src
t. stepped into glibc in a debugger once and couldn't understand any of it

GNU software is known for lots and lots of comments. Idk, at one hand people complain about LOC, then they don't understand shit. Lmaoing @ ur life.

try the proprietary Nvidia drivers

I wasn't sure whether to put it in the stupid questions thread, the Thinkpad thread or here but I think this is the best place.
I bought a used Thinkpad T420 and I'd be perfectly satisfied if the screen wasn't fucking atrocious. It's apparently not so easy to find a better screen so I resorted to calibrating the screen I have now (B140RW02) to at least let my eyes rest a bit.
I use a dual boot Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS/Windows 7 Pro and the picture quality on Ubuntu is significantly better than on Windows 7. Can anybody explain why? Is Ubuntu somehow closer to the hardware with no shit Intel software messing things up? Is color accuracy simply better on Ubuntu? What makes Ubuntu so much better?

No, thanks.

With that shitty purist attitude you should stick to a stable distro rather than rolling. I said *try* not switch to them entirely. Do you want to fix the problem or screech "muh freedoms" on a mongolian basked waving forum?

1gb is too low, 2gb might be possible although i would suggest 4gb minimum

>oni-chan can you install gentoo for me?
No sisteru. You will use windows and you will like it.

Nouveau is literal garbage on any recent nvidia gpu

and he uses fucking MANJARO with that attitude, can you believe it?

i accidentally rm -rf my anime bind mount

time to alias it with -i or -I

did you try "webm for 'bakas'"?
github.com/WebMBro/WebMConverter
you can also try the fork on the description

That is for Windows, right? (redirects here after links: gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter)

I would love something similar for Ubuntu as this is far faster way to create .webms than Terminal for my stupid brain.

ffmpeg -i file.mp3 -f webm -crf 20 -c:v libvpx -an output.webm

aarrgh this is so fucking eeeearghh uuhh ITS FASTER WITH MEME PROGRAM AND ITS FASTER TO COMPARE RESULTS AND SHIEEEET :DDDDDD

It is literally the most basic one liner for conversion.
Stop being a pussy ass bitch and open the fucking ternminal

>meme is bad
don't fall for this

oh, sure. I haven't tried it yet for some years, there wasn't a ubuntu PPA before.
github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui
but I made like the guy above said and just learnt ffmpeg commands. it's quite simple. you change bitrate to control video output size. man up user.
trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/VP8

>vp9
Jow Forums dosent support vpx9.

I installed solus on my laptop the other day and I'm getting terrible battery life even with powertop and tlp. I'm losing like 3-4% every 10 minutes just browsing the web and the battery drains even when I close the lid. Is there any way to solve this or should I try other distros?
Sorry if this doesn't belong in this thread.

General rule of thumb is bitrate = file size / duration

Or you can just use the -fs flag to specify the file size you want and it'll change the bitrate automatically.

I'm out of this bitch. Fuck reCAPTCHA and fuck this fucking chink that runs this site.

do you have any tips on setting your CPU Governor to powersave on gentoo? I'm trying to make it a simple file server and keep it running at a minimum power usage. it appears I can't compile "powersave" as a default profile on kernel.

>General rule of thumb is bitrate = file size / duration
But not on Jow Forums where everything is heavily restricted. You'd be better off using crf values(20)
>fs flag
All this does is cut the video down to what ever time you have when you reach your file size limit. If you havs a 2 minute video and you reach 2mb file size, it just stops and dumps the file as complete,lets say 45 seconds, instead of managing the variables to reach a 2 minute long video file from the fs limit

The trackpad on my XPS 13 Debian is fucking unusable.
It will randomly stop while moving and will be in srcoll-mode until you click. i.e. the cursor stops in place and you can only scroll.

Is there any way I can fix this? Or is it just Dell's typical shit quality?

Termite in ssh is like
>ls
llssss
>mkdir
mkkdddirrr
And i can't erase it will tab instead
Is there a fix ?
xfce4-terminal works for that but i would like to use termite for some reasons.

I have a chink laptop (I35 thinker) running Ubuntu, and it can't detect the touchpad, is this the sort of thing I as a beginner can code to fix? What sort of difficulty level is making your own driver?

Does installing synaptic not fix it?

Hey guys, in this link:
gist.github.com/phiresky/4bfcfbbd05b3c2ed8645
There is a good command for convert/interpolate a video with vapoursynth (not realtime)
It works really faster and better than ffmpeg minterpolate, but there is no sound in the converted video
vspipe --arg in_filename=input.mkv --arg display_fps=60 --y4m motioninterpolation.vpy -|ffmpeg -i - -crf 18 output.mkv
What would you change in this command to fix the problem ?

Attached: 1534768285577.gif (480x270, 2.8M)

When I reload the i3 config (using "i3-msg reload") is it possible to prevent it from changing window layouts?
Mostly it works, but I have some programs set to float by default such as feh. So for example if I have some feh windows open and put them in tiling mode instead of floating, then when I reload the config they get set back to floating mode.

How the fuck do i install qbittorrent on kde neon
i searched for guides but i'm either completely retarded or there aren't any

Attached: 89741329871923.png (612x491, 106K)

I cannot get reliably 2.97mb file size on random video clips no matter what I try.

There was option 'adjust bitrate for duration' or something in WebmConverter that did this automatically..

>tfw fedora 27 has been EOL for over 2 weeks and i cant be bothered to update

Attached: 1522952662445.png (837x410, 232K)

i think i figured it out
went to the built in linux app store thing and found it there
why would it not be just like windows where i can go to the gbittorrent website and install it like that

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:qbittorrent-team/qbittorrent-stable
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install qbittorrent

i did it like this is that bad?
also i have no idea what you just told me

you installed dated version.

linux is fucking stupid with apps.

'oh install LENOX so you dont have to go to web pages to install LOL RANDOM SOFTWARE'

> installs linux
> Either you install DATED SOFTWARE FROM BUILTIN APP STORE
> OR you have to add sketchy fucking repo from some 2014 forum guide on how-to-install-n-program-on-lenox

fucking disaster tier

can't i just update it or something?
if not what now?
how do i get the updated version
also if i get the updated person would i need to constantly manually update it?

you do this it updates every time you update your software

that shit goes way over my head my mang
am i screwed if i just use this version?

no.

so i'm good then?

yes

stable distros come with stable, battle-tested software. it's pretty sensible.

if someone wants cutting-edge software, they ought to use a cutting-edge distro.

my Wangblows 10 with its fucking 'early release alpha updates' just fucking werks dog.

just so you know, "cutting-edge" doesn't necessarily mean unstable.

and software in linux can be installed through one-off downloads, just as windows, if the user chooses to not use the repositories.

checked
>repositories
you mean i need to stick something up my laptop's ass?
no joke though what does that mean?

How unstable is Debian testing/Sid really on a production machine? Is it really just non-LTS ubuntu stability or stay away if you're a casual Linux user that has enough experience to get by?

I could just use LMDE because I really want updated Cinnamon and still stay on stable Debian.

a "repository" is the place where a distro's built-in app store gets its software from.

in many distros, a repository is an http/ftp mirror of all the software that will show up in the app store that has been verified and guaranteed to work with your setup.

when you see a "ppa" as in , that basically means you are adding an additional repository to your machine, and your built-in app store has a different place to get sof

home.iprimus.com.au/cojoco/rms/RichardAndTheParrots.html

thanks user-san
that was really helpful

>find almost perfect image viewer "sxiv"
>just want to swap the zoom in key from + to =
>no fucking way to change hotkeys without editing source code and recompiling
Fuck suckless

Do I need X/Wayland to have multi-monitor support?
I want to run command line exclusively but with multiple monitors.

some terminal emulators have this problem.
Initially I tried using urxvt while editing with vim over ssh, and it was a fucking nightmare.
You're better off just using the stock terminal for your ssh work.

So I will continue to use another terminal for my ssh things. Thx.

X doesn't even start last time I tried that.

not me

do not fall for his lies.

Stop impersonating me.

I bump this, it would be interesting cause ffmpeg minterpolate is so slow that it is unusable.

on linux is it possible to run a python script from just double clicking the file? instead of writing `python file.py` in the terminal every time

Attached: fawRchq.jpg (1008x1323, 191K)

yes, the way you do it depends on which file manager you're using (e.g. thunar, nautilus, pcmanfm, etc)

nautilus, Ubuntu 18.10

no

In GNU/Linux, you need to make the script executable first. At the CLI you do: chmod u+x script.py or, depending on your DE, you may check "executable" or something by right-clicking the file.

ok, I selected "Allow executing file as program" and it still opens in text editor when I dbl click it. I tried changing the default program to open it up with, but terminal isn't listed as an option

How can I check with graphics driver I'm using and how to change it?

I have a AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU and I believe I'm running VESA drivers and not AMD proprietary drivers because there's a lot of screen tearing when closing windows and some other graphical glitches like tray icons overlapping when it refreshes.

I'm running the same exact setup on my Intel laptop and don't have these issues.

I don't think so. Your graphics framebuffer only supports 1 display. You'd need a display server like Xorg or Wayland to run multiple displays.

Just set up a minimal tiling WM and use tmux. DWM is the best tiling WM for multiple displays.

try software & updates --> additional drivers

i haven't used vapoursynth but maybe it only outputs the processed video track even if the input is an mkv with audio/subtitles/metadata
i would look up how to copy that stuff from one mkv to another

What I have seen is that it's possible to add the audio in the empty mpv but it's 3 processes to achieve one goal
>extract audio+subs using ffmpeg
>convert using this script, that kills the sound and the subs
>add the subs and sound to the new mkv using ffmpeg
MEH
I'm not autistic enough...There's must be a way...

I'm using Arch and don't have any GUI settings manager or DE tools.

I installed xf86-amdgpu but it keeps saying I'm running on mesa. I honestly have no idea what package my GPU requires.

I ran "lspci | grep -e VGA -e 3D" and I have a Raven Ridge Radeon Vega Mobile rev c8.

I have latest BIOS. Made a few BIOS changes from threads I've found online about AMD Rzyen APUs such as disabling c states, power settings, etc.

Onlything I can find driver/firmwire wise is that Raven Ridge was added into kernel 4.19.

Linux?

My "emerge -avuDN world" failed the other day because, apparently, I'm missing libQt5Core.so.5, which not only causes qt-based packages to fail to compile, but also prevents all qt-based applications from running. I've tried recompilling "qtcore" to no effect.

What can I do about this?

No GNU/Linux lmao

Ive been using testing for about a year, unless you really need a newer version of something that isnt available in backports then theres no real point to use testing/sid over stable
theres also alternatives like using virtual machines if you need to use newer software while staying on stable.
Ive only had one or two major issues on testing and that was during one of the kde upgrades

did you look at the arch wiki article for xorg/amdgpu?
it should have the answer your looking for

this sounds pretty standard
>3 processes to achieve one goal
that's three commands in a bash script
part of ""unix philosophy"" is writing programs that "do one thing and do it well"
it's pretty much expected that a program converting the framerate of a video doesn't have to deal with different container formats and copying audio between them because there are programs devoted to that task that do it better (like ffmpeg)

Unix my ass.

anonymous reminds me of me when i started using linux

Android?

do you install a stable base like Slackware or CentOS and compile/download up to date binaries on userspace or install a big Debian/Ubuntu clusterfuck and install from distro repositories?

Yep ok, I understand that, but imagine the pain if i want to convert hummm 15 files, instead of 15 commands it will be 45
It's just painful desu

He a cute.

mpv song.godword.faith:8000/godsong

Attached: 1544995447341.gif (480x270, 2.14M)

>mpv song.godword.faith:8000/godsong[javascript:;/code]

Attached: 1516052678141.png (657x527, 27K)

uh, does this track has an end ?

It won't end...right ?

Attached: 1527048531913.jpg (800x994, 198K)

I guess it's a loop of all his midis.
Got the url from here: godword.faith

not linux related

Install Gentoo

Every time I run apt-get, this error appears:
dpkg: error processing package linux-headers-4.2.0-19-generic (--remove):
unable to securely remove '/usr/src/linux-headers-4.2.0-19-generic/include/config/bcma/driver/gmac/cmn.h': Not a directory
As a result, I cannot install or upgrade anything on my PC. I'm running Xubuntu 16.04. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Did you try turning your computer off and on again?