Dark Themes

Why are you using them? Self gratification or hacker roleplay or something else?

Attached: 1544906613900.png (883x622, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes
akinokure.blogspot.com/2013/08/dark-on-light-color-schemes-making.html
duckduckgo.com/
chriskempson.com/projects/base16/
github.com/chriskempson/base16#scheme-repositories
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

more like i dont want to burn my retinas to a bleach white background

Because when you get to mid age, bright colors start to hurt your eyes.

this.

I will also accept having night mode on 24/7 and using a white background that is now orange/reddish

I don't since I'm not a drooling moron uncapable of dimming his backlight whenever the light from the screen is too bright.
In fact my desktop monitor has a built-in ambient light sensor which does the job for me.

Black text on bright background all day.
Pic related (black on pissed bedsheets yellow) is the best combination.

Attached: Zrzut ekranu z 2018-12-16 14-11-55.png (730x492, 37K)

It's more visually pleasing. You autist find the weirdest shit to go after.

Easier on the eyes

Factually incorrect, the lower contrast of many dark themes actually strains your eyes more. This is actually the scientific and acceptable solution to saving your eyes:

no pwm

I'm not because i don't want to enter mole-mode before i'm 40.
Not to mention light themes are god-tier.

How do bright colours on dark background have lower contrast than dark colours on bright background? You just swap them without making it shit on purpose. Fuck, if you use any colours other than black and white (which you usually do), the better display you have, the better contrast you will get with a dark background. I mean, with OLED displays you could get perfectly dark background giving you theoretically infinite contrast (sure, it will be finite in reality but still very big) but when you display any colour on a bright background, the contrast will be limited by the brightness of the colour you want to display (because you want to distinguish it from black) and maximum brightness of your display (which in turn is limited by acceptable power consumption and not burning your eyes). But if you have any scientific backing I would be interested in reading that.

Complete nonsense. Just use a good dark theme. It's way easier on the eyes, especially at night.
Also when working a lot on different terminals that are usually white on black dark themes are much better because you don't have this extreme difference to light themes.
>inb4 hurr config the console layout durr
Can't be botheres for every single new connection, I prefer dark and VMware built in is only standard.

I mainly like how they look. And supposedly they are better for eyes.

I'm not, I'm using Red Theme. it's max /comfy/

Attached: redpill.png (818x463, 50K)

the fact that this shitty retarded thread exists is proof that this board fucking sucks

can you explain?

>dark
>theme

same thread being made over and over

I never understood dark themes

majority of websites has white background
word/excel has white background
the fucking paper is white

but for some reason dark theme should be better for programming? yeah nah

paper isn’t a source of light

it's meant to be easier on the eyes since you typically look at code for long periods of time.

I don't use them nowadays because you don't get anti glare displays anymore.

try running your computer in a completely dark room and see how much light your computer screen actually produces, also compare light and dark background to see that glare of white light on the eyes is real

Dark theme in excel is comfy af though

Attached: excel.png (1521x943, 423K)

doin' dis, it has quite some red and low blue so it should be good for night work, still working on it, the name belongs toa character whose cholor scheme i used so it ain't intentionally edgy

Attached: Blood-Fallen_theme.png (1366x2304, 1.77M)

Because I have eye floaters that are significantly more apparent on a light background than on a dark one.

floaters are only visible between dark to light transition though

migraines

I use light theme everywhere during the day, as well as 5500K in flux.
And dark themes during the night with 4200K in flux.
Everywhere, except for the code editor. I'm just too used to seeing it in the dark mode over the years (10y+ commercial experience as a developer) so I just leave it at that.

Change accent color to cyan instead of magenta it's much better

I don't get it either, plus my eyes always weird out after starring at dark UIs, doesn't happen with normal white/light colored UIs even after using them all day.

blue tones are harsh on eyes

>the fucking paper is white
except you dont have a lightbulb behind every piece of paper you dumb fuck

This argument is stupid, paper isn't a source of light (normally) but it does reflect the surrounding light. So turn down the brightness or use a mirror so its reflected, dude.
The problem is brightness of the monitor in relation to the ambient light, and differences in peoples vision.

The easiest way to tell you are dealing with an amateur programmer is if his IDE theme is white/shade of white.

which is the reason as to why lots of light themes are crap, as they use #ffffff white instead of a very clear gray, which is the actual color of paper, a fidedign paper white ui would need a slightly yellow gray grain texture as perfect #ffffff white paper doesn't exist irl making it reflect less light tha people expect

>whole schtick of theme is low amounts of blue and lots of red for night use
>t.retard wanting blue
that's the reason as to lots of dark themes being useless shit, they're blue shitting on the very purpose of a dark theme

My experience says it's usually the haxx0r kid at the bottom of his dunning-kruger valley who needs to have everything dark as his soul

Hell I could even go as far as to say that you can tell an amateur programmer if their desktop wallpaper is something different than:
>stock for the particular OS they're using
>solid background (usually black)

You like staring at piss all day?

the light yellow background is warmer than solid white and the contrast between black-yellow is smaller than between black-white

My point was - just don't use #ffffff for background.

>ux.stackexchange.com/questions/53264/dark-or-white-color-theme-is-better-for-the-eyes
>However, most studies have shown that dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background (when the refresh rate is fairly high). For example, Bauer and Cavonius (1980) found that participants were 26% more accurate in reading text when they read it with dark characters on a light background.
>with a bright display (white background) the iris closes a bit more, decreasing the effect of the "deformed" lens; with a dark display (black background) the iris opens to receive more light and the deformation of the lens creates a much fuzzier focus at the eye.
>Reference: Bauer, D., & Cavonius, C., R. (1980). Improving the legibility of visual display units through contrast reversal. In E. Grandjean, E. Vigliani (Eds.), Ergonomic Aspects of Visual Display Terminals (pp. 137-142). London: Taylor & Francis

edgelords blown the fuck out by actual scientific studies

Attached: 1506154450801.png (470x470, 299K)

If you read my post, I am pointing out that many dark themes do not use the kind of high contrast colours and white you are speaking of, not that contrast is inherently lower on dark backgrounds.

>red
>the color that sticks out in the brain as the most violent
this is actually maximum hax0r fantasy color right here

akinokure.blogspot.com/2013/08/dark-on-light-color-schemes-making.html

My eyes are sensitive and light themes give me migraines. Not everything is about being cool or showing off.

I like to keep my shades drawn with lights off and my monitor set to low brightness, with black background and grey text
i dont like the light, it wakes me up. I like feeling sleepy. its comfy

to fuck your mom xD

ever seen a screen from the 80s? those studies are irrelevant to modern use

Post one just one light theme with good contrast and who doesn't rape your eyes when used at night, i'll be waiting.

+ add in the fact that at that time nearly no one was used to reading white on black since paper has always been black on white.

I use "set background=dark" because:

1. It looks 1337 h4x0r

2. often, I forget to switch the colorscheme when it's a bright day

3. It's usually dark when I'm doing heavy-duty pr0gr4mm1ngz

Exact opposite here. Anything lighter than dark red on black becomes a haze. For some reason I got halation really bad starting this year.

easier to fucking see

The study found evidence that your eyes are biologically less efficient when trying to take in light objects in dark scenes, this occurs regardless of whether or not you are even using a monitor. Don't be a fucking imbecile.

That's wrong. The scientific study you're talking about published an article stating that it's a near 50/50 split and it's different for different people but some are better with dark, some are better with light.

The physiology of your eye hasn't changed since the 80s you dumb shit.
The key effect mentioned in the study (pupil size controlling the amount of light hitting your retina) still applies.

This whole discussion is like arguing that your vision at night is superior that your vision in daylight.
Literally nothing but
>muh feefeees

>and who doesn't rape your eyes when used at night
Completely irrelevant to the discussion. Is the concept of dimming your backlight foreign to you?

No, it's stating that 50% of the population has astigmatism and those people find it harder to read light text on a dark background, it is not at all implying a 50/50 split in the population, as it does not state that people without astigmatism can handle bright text on a dark background just as well as the opposite.

I find light themes clearer to read and better-looking, but if I spend too long staring at them, they give me a headache.

So you can't name one? That's what i thought.

>I'm not a drooling moron uncapable of dimming his backlight
>my desktop monitor has a built-in ambient light sensor which does the job for me.
hmm

what typography is that

>put on a stock high contrast theme for visually impaired and legally blind people
>turn down the screen brightness
There you go you donkey

Still not seeing a good light theme, are you being insulting because you are cornered and feel the need to shield yourself from the truth? It's okay to admit being wrong user.

>hurr durr spoonfeed me a good light theme
duckduckgo.com/

You're making a fool of yourself. What would your parents say?

This generally occurs because of blue light levels and screen brightness, use a blue light filter and reduced brightness settings if you are staring at a monitor for extended periods of time.

They'd tell you to google it and stop acting like a retard.

Being rude won't make you right, all you have to do is tell us what you think is a good example of a light theme and why.

I'm not even the user you started the argument with, I just think you're retarded for expecting to be spoonfed colorschemes.
>hurr durr I don't know about any good light colorschemes, they must not exist
This is literally your argument, your ignorance is not a basis for argument.

papercolor-theme light is pretty good, then there's solarized light, gruvbox and onehalf, none of which have ever "raped" my eyes at night. If you feel like your eyes are being "raped", you should use a blue light filter, or turn down your screen brightness. You should use a blue light filter during late sessions even when using a dark background, as while you may not feel eye strain, it is still degrading your eyes.

based and redpilled

Screencap of what papercolor looks like, using it right now, love it.

Attached: 2048x2048.jpg (1052x590, 105K)

dunno why but it makes me angry

paper color is literally the only good light theme

maybe it reminds you of your PMS

ALART!

dont recall the study but 20%ish of people prefer light on a dark background. because of different eyes.

I started using gruvbox dark and it's nice. gruvbox light does look neat though. I can't really tell the difference from solarized though

I agree. I used to use solarized light, but I got tired of the beige background quickly and I found the colours used didn't contrast well enough with the background. paper color on the other hand just nails it and the grey background fits better with art displays, desktop backgrounds etc.

People do it because "that's what tech people do." Ain't no real reason. And ain't no real reason to get into a huff about it. In my company it's about an 80-20 split between manually changing to the dark theme and using the default light theme and it isn't split on anything that has anything to do with talent or ego. It's just "what they use."

chriskempson.com/projects/base16/

Attached: this-post-es-dildos.jpg (283x178, 29K)

Dark personalities are attracted to dark colors. It's a scientifically proven fact.

gruvbox light has this really nice vintage feel to it, the background is much more saturated and has a lower brightness value compared to solarized, as well as darker shades of colours to go along with that. Solarized feels more modern in comparison.

I'm not a fan of the red and brown base16 uses, and I find the grey it uses for comments to be too low contrast compared to the background.

Guaranteed way to spot a retarded, edgy soiboi that wants everyone to see how dark and grim they are.

If I'm completely honest I don't understand what the hell this does, I'm a dumbass
Installing urxvt and changing the colors in xresources was my high point

it fucks up my eyes at a lower rate

press J K as it says, it is a color system
I should have posted the githb link
github.com/chriskempson/base16#scheme-repositories

ooooooooo fucking edgy!
piss off back to plebbit anytime

It is a subconscious desire to copulate with dark skinned people

Dark theme=Degenerate

Yeah I still don't get it, sorry man

just because websites and word have white backgrounds doesn't mean it's a good thing

I'm serious though. They did scientific studies on this and found that people with sunny personalities are attracted to bright primary colors while people who are mentally disturbed are more attracted to grey, brown, and black. Which explains why I have a strange fetish for greyscale interfaces like that used by the original Macintosh.

spbp

And if you want the source for this, I read about it in The Owner's Manual for the Brain. I'm sure the literature is on the Internet somewhere, though it may be on the Deep Web like a lot of academic literature.

coloured text is a lot more visible on a dark background than a pure white background

Attached: 1540830871950.gif (700x625, 547K)