Gimp will never be a good program because it's developed by programmers who have never worked professionally as an...

Gimp will never be a good program because it's developed by programmers who have never worked professionally as an artist, and refuse to listen to artists' input.

Attached: 1544976204826.jpg (648x1139, 190K)

So why don't the artists contribute the code to improve it themselves or fork it?

You aight white boi

your the gimp m8

Attached: 1531419986531.jpg (768x1024, 234K)

Is that a PT Cruiser?

Because they're busy working, unlike you unemployed open-source retards.

Programs like Photoshop and Affinity provide an artist just about everything they need. Gimp will never be a viable alternative.

no thats my girlfriend

I don't know much about gimp but krita is basically the boss because they actually take input from users and I have had several features implemented that I have suggested, now I'm even contributing to the source because it has replaced Photoshop as my main tool, it's pretty neat

>Because they're busy working
Yeah, because when I think "artist" I think "constantly busy with serious work"

I'm an artfag and I use GIMP for a lot of things. Krita is my main art software, and I occasionally use azpainter, but GIMP is always used for finishing touches and postprocessing, because I find no program more comfortable to use than it is (mostly because I've been using it for so long.)
>Programs like Photoshop and Affinity provide an artist just about everything they need.
Photoshop is no longer a good argument, because Krita is better as an art program in literally every way at this point. Acrylic paints haven't changed in hundreds of years, but they work the smae now as they did then.

why dont they just overhaul it to look like photoshop? i kmow theres that skin that sort of does it. then just focus on addining more photoshop and sai features

post art and proof

>why don't they make photoshop

I've always said that people only hate GIMP's keybinds because they have baby dick syndrome, but I used GIMP first and I think Photoshop's keybinds are irredeemable dogshit. Don't make them ruin a good thing in the eyes of the people who already use it.

at least have a first time user page where you can choose to use a photoshop style. user ate would for sure increase

>GIMP is bad because artists don't contribute to open source software.
>artists complain GIMP is bad
You guys now have a choice. Make GIMP good, pay someone to make GIMP good, or continue using Photoshop. Just continue using photoshop seems to be the most likely. It's going to be hilarious when they start charging you by the second for using it.

There are good plugins for this to what I udnerstand, but I've never bothered to use any of them.
>It's going to be hilarious when they start charging you by the second for using it.
The fucking fact that you can't even buy a license anymore is truly insulting. Them charging you 600 dollars was bad enough, but at least you could own CS6. They did the same shit with their video editors. I knew this Jewish kid studying film, and the fucking kike just ended up pirating his software after years of using a legal CS6. I don't blame him one bit.

>There are good plugins for this to what I udnerstand, but I've never bothered to use any of them.
>>>>>>

>I'm an artfag and I use GIMP
Haha sure. Show us some of your programmer-tier art, freetard.

You are a literal brainlet who knows nothing.

There have been literally thousands of artists offering the Gimp devs advice, and they notoriously never listen. They make it their way, and that's why professionals never use it, ever.

>Free software will never be good because it's developed by programmers who have never worked professionally
ftfy

why your girlfriend is a PT Cruiser?

more like pee pee cruiser amirite

According to my sister a actual artist (doesn't like gimp) gimp is more like paint shop pro then photoshop.

>According to my sister a actual artist
Where can I buy some of your sister's art?

GIMP can be used to produce quality photomanipulations. For example I made pic related in GIMP. I've even made digital paintings from scratch in GIMP. However, it's not a comfy or efficient program by any means and can be a pain in the ass to work with.

Attached: another_world_by_phracker-dcdcw1e.jpg (2800x2100, 1.38M)

Yeah, I'm an actual artist and I like GIMP. We're tied.

>fat people sitting on a beach looking at their phones
I don't know if I'd call stereotypical America "another world"

SHIGGY A CUTE

The "other world" in this case refers to the surreal contrast between unnatural dark storm clouds, sunset, and fat Americans.

at this point you should be using resolve for video editing. Premiere is dogshit in comparison
>inv4 after effects integration
green screen is cancer

GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program
Its intended for editing pictures. If you want to draw circles, use krita.

Haha, you must think you're a real artist with that photo of fat people on the beach.

It's a landscape. What am I supposed to do, ask the fat people to move so I can get a better shot?

>And here we have user's image titled "Another World". It was made in Gimp! Just ignore the fat people on the beach.

Attached: art-gallery.jpg (1600x1064, 921K)

Is Affinity a good alternative to Photoshop?

>Krita is better than Photoshop
apple to oranges, and even compared to Illustrator, Krita is dogshit

I actually have 3 artists right next to me right now, and they all say they hate GIMP.

Yeah, and they probably say Macbooks are inherently superior too. I know artsy types. They tend to judge things by how much money they cost and think free or inexpensive stuff is for plebes.

Fuck all of the mentioned programs, Clip Studio is the king for drawing and coloring.

I made my own. But I have very specific requirements.

But when I just want to sketch things out I use Krita. Don't really like GIMP but thankfully I don't have any requirements that it caters to. If I were doing graphic design or image editing stuff I'd probably just pirate Photoshop.

>They tend to judge things by how much money they cost and think free or inexpensive stuff is for plebes
They're also far superior artists to you.

>he saw artistic value in fat people on the beach

Attached: 1450942888261.jpg (1462x1462, 189K)

Gimp will always be trash

Well artists are usually huge faggots

I'm not a serious artist though. I just do photography/photomanipulation for fun.

Wtf acrylics were invented in the 20th century. Are you thinking oils?

Honestly, if the worst thing anyone can say about my art is "It has fat people in it." then I take that as a complement.

Talk about comparing apples to oranges. Do you know what. Illustrator does?

and that's presicely why you use Gimp, tubby.

>Do you know what. Illustrator does?
Idiot phoneposter

>apple to oranges, and even compared to Illustrator, Krita is dogshit
Bad artist detected. Blaming the tool is always the first sign of ineptitude, especially considering all the really high quality art that comes out of Krita.

Attached: user-interface-2-9.jpg (1535x899, 162K)

Nice to see I wasn’t the only one

>only two layers
>background layer and """"""""""drawing""""""""" layer

>two color wheels
>they don't match

>Gimp will never be a good program because it's developed by programmers who have never worked professionally as an artist, and refuse to listen to artists' input.

Netflix uses algorithms to decide shows artistic direction. Maniac is an example of a show where the artists direction was completely over ruled because an algorithm told them that viewers would decrease if they did what the artist wanted.

> they actually take input from users
> Font modification UI is the worst I've seen
Tells you about listening to users.

> reddit, the post
Go be a nigger somewhere else

You might not consider it serious work, but if you actually want to make it as an artist, you need to work hard at it.
But gimp is not for creating images, only bait threads like these thinks that this was the intent of gimp and can't fathom that Photoshop isn't one thing.

You’re wrong, I started with coral paint, used painter, krita, psd fiddle, paper and etc. GIMP is by far the worst image/graphic/painting software I have ever used, I have never gotten it to successful complete a project because it is so bad. A fucking website has better UI and functionality than gimp. At this point I’m pretty sure gimp is an elaborate troll, the name should be a give away and the joke is on you

So that’s why I could make it through a single episode. Good to know

Maybe a "professional" artist should upgrade beyond the free shit tools that retards like me use to meme on Jow Forums. Gimp is fine, and 100% worth the price especially compared to it's primary commercial competitor.

Attached: finna.webm (854x480, 571K)

That's a pretty low bar you're setting for yourselves, gimp advocates.

The bar is not "low". The bar is resting precisely at "ZERO" because that's how much I paid for gimp. There are only two ways to beat that:

A) Provide a better product that is also free
B) Pay ME to use an inferior product

and neither one is going to happen

Krita is better, as well as pirated photoshop.

That really makes no sense. Let's say I am thirsty in the desert. Some guy offers to sell me a gallon of water for 10¢. Some other guy offers to spit in my mouth for free. Because the second guy is offering it for free, I should take the second offer?

>Krita is better
why?

If you have the money then sure, buy the water. If you don't have the money are you going to die because you don't like the second guy's product? Maybe you would, but you're obviously a retard anyway if you're wandering around the desert without any water. In other words, your anology is fucking retarded.

I don't need a professional image editor, so my budget for such a product is $0. Not all of us are getting an allowance from mummy or monthly neetbux to waste on shit we don't need. Even if I did I wouldn't waste it on photoshop unless I'm going to REALLY use it for something other than cropping screenshots.

You probably own a pair of nikes too.

faggot.

Because Krita devs are not stubborn cunts who can't take criticism and made a product that is actually usable.

>actually usable
ok again, Why? I'm genuinely asking because I know nothing about it and will try it if there's a good reason: Why is krita better? A quick scan of the website doens't reveal anything groundbreaking.

My real world use scenario: I want to photoshop Tyrone's head onto a picture of CNN's Don Lemon. Why is Krita going to be better for this than Gimp?

>Better artists
>Need a $1000 program to make anything good
Explain how this works.

Brainlet

>poorfag baby too dumb to afford objectively superior software

>keybinds
if your software needs keybinds to be usable you're guilty of misapplying the unix philosophy
GUIs inherently straight up don't work with it, but instead of finding some other means of creating a user interface linux tards slap together an abomination, add some keybinds, and go to bed

Why is Gimp so impossible to use as a photoshop user? Why the hell don't they just copy exactly what photoshop is so that people can actually transition?

It's the same with fucking Blender. At least Blender is a competent piece of software in a vacuum, but god help you if you want to switch to any other 3d software.

She sells stuff on esty, local shops, and her website but I'm not giving autistic stalkers any info on her. All she has is silkscreen prints right now anyway.

Advice doesn't write and debug code.
Advice doesn't test new patches for bugs.
Advice doesn't write tutorials and documentation.
Advice doesn't pay the bills.
Do you think Adobe would take your "advice" about photoshop if you asked them to change something?

> using photoshop as a verb
Congratulations, you've played yourself.

>>Not pictured: really high quality art
There's nothing wrong with blaming the tool if the tool itself is bad.

If I use a toilet, and I take a shit in it and it can't flush the shit, I'll blame the toilet for not being built to handle my massive shit. When I go to your house, and you have one of those toilets with the really stupidly small hole, I'm going to say your toilet is bad and you made a bad decision getting that toilet.

Attached: try making this in krita.png (1000x886, 671K)

I do professional 3D work and have a large software pipeline. Blender is legitimately a great software for pure modeling, especially with addons. Offers just about the fastest, most versatile workflow out of any modeling software, provided you master the shortcuts. People keep shitting on the UI, but that literally hasn't been a problem since the 2.5 update, because it's now 100% modular and extremely easy to customize.

Gimp by comparison, is nowhere near an acceptable level. Just feels clunky to use, and things like moving a selection to another image take a lot more clicks than it takes in Photoshop.

The UI is still terrible in Blender, people don't want to muck around customizing it. If someone tells me a program has a "modular" UI, I'll just ignore it. Productivity means having something that's ready to use from the get-go, not fucking around customizing stuff all the time.

It does not, by far, offer the fastest, most versatile workflow. I'd rather use SoftImage XSI, 3DS Max and Maya by a long shot. I remember even just studying the introduction to surface modelling in 3DS Max and it was so damn intuitive I just didn't have to think twice about the UI, meanwhile trying to do the same in Blender was like digging through a pile of Lego to find the piece I want.

Blender still remains as more of a hobbyist tool.

>The UI is still terrible in Blender
t. brainlet
>people don't want to muck around customizing it
Brainlets like yourself, I know.

Post your professional 3D work bud.

>It does not, by far, offer the fastest, most versatile workflow. I'd rather use SoftImage XSI, 3DS Max and Maya by a long shot
Mindless claims are not an argument, idiot. I could just as easily say the same about any program, and it would be just as worthless as your post.

The original post about Blender is a mindless claim itself though.

>linking work from my portfolio to a shitposter with damaged pride
No thanks. I'm comfortable knowing you're retarded.

Post your professional 3D work.
No excuses.

It's not shitposting if it's true though.

I'll post my 3D work when you get autodesk to make all their software to open source.

Maybe you're the baby dick and everyone else is right. Has that ever crossed your mind?

Man, developing videogames in the 80's looked so comfy.

Attached: young iwata.jpg (600x450, 49K)

Literally the first thing I thought, fucking kek

Attached: 1489525502712.jpg (300x360, 25K)

>"Because they're busy working"
>"Programs like Photoshop and Affinity provide an artist just about everything they need."
t. chromatic aberration 5 colored hair vore fetish furry Patreon whore

Attached: 1545061133744.jpg (600x656, 71K)

I like it. It could do without the people though.

Do you like fatties?

Whats wrong with paint.net?

She better have a dick.

>shit analogy

Who cares about GIMP? The real question is:
Do you use Photoshop/Illustrator/Corel on wine or on a VM?