Hi

Hi

I want to make a ncurses based text editor, but i want to use objects, so C is out of the question. Also, i dont want to use tranny-coc sucker language like Rust

Is Pascal a good alternative? I kind of like it. Any other alternative?

Pic somewhat unrelated (mc was written with ncurses i think)

Attached: mc.jpg (526x423, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cs.rit.edu/~ats/books/ooc.pdf
gist.github.com/bkaradzic/2e39896bc7d8c34e042b
viewsourcecode.org/snaptoken/kilo/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP8266
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>so C is out of the question
Nope, it's not!
cs.rit.edu/~ats/books/ooc.pdf

If you really don't like to use C, use C++.

> C++
Thanks. I want to keep my sanity. C++ is powerful, but it is too convoluted for my taste. I've used C++ many years ago and i'm no eager in going back.

>I want to keep my sanity
Sounds fair.

Otherwise you want to try "Vala"?

you can use orthodox c++
gist.github.com/bkaradzic/2e39896bc7d8c34e042b

ncurses is cool

Thanks. Vala sounds great.

D

>I want to make a ncurses based text editor, but i want to use objects, so C is out of the question.
C++ it is then, no need to start delving into memelangs.

ya try vala it's syntax like C#

ocaml

>I want to use objects
then use java you fucking disgusting degenerate
>I don't want to use Rust
Yeah, it doesn't have OO
>Pascal in 2018
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

cringe

Attached: 1525468281869.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

Those guidelines are downright atrocious.

Try the text editor built into midnight commander. It can be invoked from the command line as mcedit

viewsourcecode.org/snaptoken/kilo/

Attached: momo20.webm (426x914, 72K)

Cool, that's a great read!

All these niggers confusing languages and paradigms. C is a high level language (i.e not assembly or machine code) while oop is a paradigm that can be done in pretty much any language there is. C can be made to support message passing and encapsulating data splendidly, not to the point CLOS does objects, but it is pretty damn good at it nonetheless.
is a good read.

I would recommend you to try to follow the kilo editor tutorial to get some insight into what ncurses does for you, vt100 terminal modes and control sequences, tty driver
it's the hideousness of unix that most people hailing for terminal environment don't have int mind. god I wish for a simplest serial I/O environment with input line separate from output so fucking much
later you can try ncurses, there is also termbox
as for language is doesn't really matter, bindings are for everything. I would recommend to approach it with a functional data structures
common lisp could work well

python curses mybe?

>Rust doesn't have OO
are you retarded?

So, about Vala

I've read that it requires GLib..? Does this imply huge bloated binaries? I would like it to be as lightweight as vi or nano (obviously ignoring ncurses dependencies)

I would like to deliver compiled binaries

>Also, i dont want to use tranny-coc sucker language like Rust
Rust is not object oriented.
I think you should Vala. It's an object oriented language that compilesto C.

Also you should reconsider going with object oriented programming. It seems good decision at first but it eventually becomes a bad decision.

Is just a text editor so I think OOP will be fine. For bigger systems I use traits instead of classes as much as possible

>i dont want to use tranny-coc sucker language like Rust
Are you seriously making technical decisions based on memes?

ScriptBasic

Attached: 8QUEENS_SCRIPTBASIC.png (556x504, 21K)

Tranny coc is antimeritocracy. I don't want a lang that supports antimeritocracy

>doesn't want to use C
>doesn't want Rust tranny bullshit
>kinda likes Pascal
For fucks sake user, just use Ada already. It's kinda like Pascal except better in every way possible.

Pascal's pretty dead, dude. Also, what's wrong with Rust? The CoC only really applies if you're a part of the development team or otherwise interacting with the community. If you're just using the language to develop software, who cares what their internal policies are?

>Tranny coc is antimeritocracy.
It's just a list of "don't be an asshole" rules. There's nothing in it about merit or meritocracy at all.

no, it literally doesn't. i think you might be retarded unless you think structs are OO (they are not, by that definition C is OO)

But objects are just structs with vtables

Only in Java.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP8266
Processor: L106 32-bit RISC microprocessor core based on the Tensilica Xtensa Diamond Standard 106Micro running at 80 MHz[5]
Memory:
32 KiB instruction RAM
32 KiB instruction cache RAM
80 KiB user-data RAM
16 KiB ETS system-data RAM
External QSPI flash: up to 16 MiB is supported (512 KiB to 4 MiB typically included)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi
Integrated TR switch, balun, LNA, power amplifier and matching network
WEP or WPA/WPA2 authentication, or open networks
16 GPIO pins
SPI
I2C (software implementation)[6]
I2S interfaces with DMA (sharing pins with GPIO)
UART on dedicated pins, plus a transmit-only UART can be enabled on GPIO2
10-bit ADC (successive approximation ADC)

OOP is a paradigm fit for simulation systems. Text editing is not a simulation. You don't need it.

OOP isnot a paradigm fit for simulation systems. OOP is a paradigm fit for user interface.
You don't need it.

LOL. UI is better modeled in terms of something declarative (and FRP methods are very likely going to be the future of UI). On the other hand, simulations are naturally described in terms of interacting objects, so OOP is a natural fit. And it's fit for nothing else only, despite numerous attempts to shoehorn it everywhere (including UI).

Ada is too powerful, I prefer Modula-2 or Oberon/Component Pascal than Ada

>declarative
Prolog