What would be the best language (or anything else) to learn as an engineering student and also absolute beginner...

What would be the best language (or anything else) to learn as an engineering student and also absolute beginner? I‘d like to start programming because I need new hobbies and also it would be definitely beneficial as a mechanism engineer. I often read that Python is good for beginners because it’s so easy but would it really be productive to start it? I‘d like to start easy but also be productive.. I hope you understand what I mean

Attached: 6C629A59-41A8-4073-94CE-CDB1A0547FDC.png (300x250, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/
adventofcode.com/2018
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*mechanical

Python is hot garbage because it encourages wooly thinking. If you're an engineer and have an engineering mindset, get something nice and crunchy like some C thing. My personal preference is C++, but the others are fairly rigorous as well.

python is good for beginners because it has super simple syntax and it makes it easier to learn basic control flow/variable assignment/etc

unfortunately, python is nothing like the languages you'd primarily use in engineering- so if i were you, i'd learn C as a primary language.

you should work with python until you have a basic understanding of programming, and then switch to C.

Learn Lisp, handyman.

Would it be hard to switch from one to another language? I‘d like to start something easy first so I don’t lose motivation, fun, etc. Is it a good idea to use codeacademy for Python then switch to C++?

I can’t tell if serious, if so, why?

Learn python because its easy to learn and won't scare you off and make you give up then learn a more difficult language such as c++

C

Ok, so Python first then something C related. What’s the best way to learn? Codeacademy?

Why do you want to be spoon fed?

functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

You‘re actually right, I should master it by myself. It’s just I have absolutely no clue and last time I did something CS related (actually just bullshit) was in middle school and atleast 3 years ago.Thank you

I was taught python at school but code academy is ok tbf however I found its not very challenging so it's hard to tell whether your really learning or just following instructions that the site gives you if that makes sense

The difficulty would mostly come from C++ being a bloated piece of shit that doesn't have modern language convenience features but tries to implement them anyway.

But most of what you'll be learning is formal procedural logic and design patterns that will be fairly universal across all languages.

>70▶
>
learn C first. You will never need python. Don't let memers from "data science" fool you into the hell that is cython and swift garbage. If C is not enough, "upgrade" to C++.

Pythons a good starting point for someone brand new to coding ad its very easy to pickup and doesn't take up much time I'm saying to move onto c after learning the basics of programming

>I can’t tell if serious, if so, why?
So you can write AutoLisp for AutoCAD.

The real reason, though, is that lisp is simply a good language. It's not a language like Python that you can be immediately productive with by gluing together pre-made components and libraries, it's not like C that you can write as if it was a different syntax for ASM giving you the maximum speed and efficiency at the cost of safety, and it's not like C++ that's common in large software projects inside large software companies.
Instead, it's a language that makes it easy to write the pythonic libraries yourself, it distances itself from computer hardware so you don't need to remember the different integer sizes or watch out for buffer overflows, and it's been successfully used in practically every problem domain with success even if it's not dominant in any.
And it has a lot to teach you in terms of computer programming, things that are otherwise clouded under language details. It's also the second oldest programming language, and the only one of its age that made it outside mainframe programming. And it's the language that introduced such simple primitives as conditionals, among others.

I am a hardcore C shill, and I am of two minds, one of which is since I believe in you user and have great hopes for you not being a nigger. The second is , not because of noob friendliness, no, but because of all the packages that makes programming sort of like a Lego game if you know your algorithms, but then again you might as well go with mathematica and matlab. Whatever you end up choosing do get acquainted with Lisp and SICP, and definitely make room for learning C sometime, if only for the sake of everything that has been written in it before (which is everything, literally).

You were going great and then you suddenly decided to plunge into a pool of shit. Seriously, user, Cplesples?

start with python, learn the basics - data types, operators, loops, etc. Do advent of code or similar for practice. Once you're comfortable start learning C for engineering, get a raspberry Pi and think of a project.

I Graduated in Mech. E. this year with a computer science minor.

If you want to learn as a hobby try C or Lisp as others have said. If you want something that will get you started fast and be immediately useful in many of your classes, learn Python.

Python is a great replacement for MatLab and Excel in many situations. Particularly as you get into Thermo/Heat Transfer and need to iterate to find solutions.

The best thing you could do is just take some CS classes though, in my opinion. Maybe get a minor or something...

C++ is the worst language in the world, use anything besides that. Python is fine.

What would be the smartest thing to do if I want to get into robotics?

Graduate high school

Already did. What now?

Lose your virginity

So close, yet so far away.

Then get to it faggot, that virginity ain't gonna lose itself

found the poo

So Python first then something C related

Learn c/c++ if you want to write actual software that actually does things.

Learn python along with numpy to do math. For ME this will probably be the most useful to you.

Your school might convince you to learn matlab. Matlab is slow and will cost you money once you leave school. Almost everything you can do in matlab you can do in other free languages (see numpy)

Also pick up a book on Linear Algebra and a book on Numerical Methods for engineers. These are both fairly easy subjects to memorize the formulas for and they will help you immensely in any subject area.

Best way to learn is to have a project/task to do and then Google when you need to know how to do something. doing 36 step tutorials will bore you to tears.

I‘ll hopefully do because I’m nowhere I’d want to be regarding math, I want to get much much better. Not even for grades, just for the sake of it, but it’s so fucking hard just to sit and do math. I’ll give my best tho

Could you give an example of a project somebody could do by himself?

I would say that advent of code has been very good this year at maintaining a steady increase in difficulty: adventofcode.com/2018