What does Jow Forums think of Linux Mint?

What does Jow Forums think of Linux Mint?

Attached: 1538043845144.png (1920x1200, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasma-desktop-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux
itsfoss.com/linux-mint-hacked/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ubuntu clone #36590386459076. You can actually install any DE on any distribution.

Ubuntu. But without the plebian bullshit, good for anyone new to Linux

it's a dumb choice to use mint
if you want the user friendly shit just use ubuntu or solus

>trusting the Irish to make a working OS
PFFFTTTTHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I didn't see why anyone would use it over plain Ubuntu, but after trying it out for a while I was pretty impressed. There's a lot of small things everywhere that make your experience a little better, and it does add up. It overall feels way more responsive and snappier compared to Ubuntu, and it has Flatpaks instead of Snaps by default which is a nice touch.

I don know how it's any different than ubuntu. I got a laptop with it installed and it really just seemed like ubuntu but with a different DE & WM than my Lubuntu set.

Yes, but no regular person wants to do that.

its ubuntu without the botnet and unity(or whatever the current bad interface is) basically the good stuff canonical made without the corporate shit

First of all, they don't issue any Security Advisories, so their users cannot - unlike users of most other mainstream distributions - quickly lookup whether they are affected by a certain CVE.
Secondly, they are mixing their own binary packages with binary packages from Debian and Ubuntu without rebuilding the latter. This creates something that we in Debian call a "FrankenDebian" which results in system updates becoming unpredictable .
Thirdly, while they import packages from Ubuntu or Debian, they hi-jack package and binary names by re-using existing names. For example, they called their fork of gdm2 "mdm" which supposedly means "Mint Display Manager". However, the problem is that there already is a package "mdm" in Debian which are "Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting". Thus, on Mint, the original "mdm" package cannot be installed.
Another example of such a hi-jack are their new "X apps" which are supposed to deliver common apps for all desktops which are available on Linux Mint. Their first app of this collection is an editor which they forked off the Mate editor "pluma". And they called it "xedit", ignoring the fact that there already is an "xedit" making the old "xedit" unusable by hi-jacking its namespace.
Add to that, that they do not care about copyright and license issues and just ship their ISOs with pre-installed Oracle Java and Adobe Flash packages and several multimedia codec packages which infringe patents and may therefore not be distributed freely at all in countries like the US.
To conclude, I do not think that the Mint developers deliver professional work. Their distribution is more a crude hack of existing Debian-based distributions. They make fundamental mistakes and put their users at risk, both in the sense of data security as well as licensing issues.

this copypasta meant LMDE fyi

This. It's Ubuntu with saner defaults.

>good for anyone new to Linux
I got Mint about a year and a half ago and loved it. I'm running into problems the more I use it now, however, so I'm thinking about switching over to Debian now.

show me Security Advisories for any recent mint edition

i don't think they have one but i also think it's just fair to call bs on most of it (especially the frankendebian part) because it just doesn't apply to standard mint

The update manager in mint is top tier, i used xubuntu before and didn't like the intrusive pop ups you get when theres new updates. Cinnamon is also great, its what gnome should have been. Though i still prefer xfce in most cases.

What a stupid comment

A regular person would break the Os doing that

sudo apt-get install
dont even need to reboot to log off and choose the new DE

>Ubuntu. But without the plebian bullshit, good for anyone new to Linux
Agreed. Except for the __noob__ part. Been using RedHat for over a decade at work, and Mint is my home machine.
They do everything right. Much more thought is put into it for the front-end user.
>t. 50 days uptime ATM.

Attached: uptime.png (670x307, 56K)

>using the patrician teir 8350 and linux
Based

Read the comments
linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-kde-plasma-desktop-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

Don't forget this incident
itsfoss.com/linux-mint-hacked/
That + stuff in your post turned me off of Mint. Might as well use ubuntu, it's just as easy and less fucked up.

I really wanna make the switch to Devuan + Cinnamon but Mint is just so gosh dang comfy. I really like the bundled programs and just whipping out a live mint usb stick is lifesaver sometimes and redpills normies HARDCORE on how shit windows has gotten

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-25 15-08-13.png (1440x900, 672K)

what theme is that?

completely fucking redundant
just use ubuntu wtf

thats mint cinnamon 18
mint y dark theme
"opacity by scroll wheel" in windows settings menu
conky autism
and ultra fractal 5 cycling a colour gradient of a piece of the mandlebrot set in real time.

also the mint 19 cinnamon icons are fucking trash. First thing Clem and the mint team have really fucked up IMHO. It reeeks of millennial incompetence and bad taste.

thanks bro

cinnamon makes sense, I use it actually

anything else can be done on any other distro, if you're a newbie, mint is freaking amazing, I used to had it as my main distro a few years ago

it's linux for niggers

I don't think about it at all.

It's been my go-to since 2013 or so. It's responsive, stable, has great hardware support, and provides all the software compatibility of Ubuntu while improving on its user experience in nearly every possible way.

i really vehemently dislike cinnamon.
ui should not be based on javascript, its an abortion when gnome does it, and its still an abortion when it was forked by solus, deepin, and mint.
but cinnamon suffers the most for being the first fork, as it continues to be tied to the utterly disgusting looks of gnome3's initial release, which no theme can quite alleviate.
despite its best efforts, it is a solution in search of a problem.
the gnome 3 codebase has been much improved, the extensions are available to make it a semi-reasonable desktop, budgie and deepin track the new gnome releases with a pre-riced default experience, and legacy software like xfce and mate offer both better aesthetics and customization than cinnamon.
at the time cinnamon was started, it was just a stopgap against the severe limitations of gnome 3. but the world has moved on from then, and it no longer serves any justified reason for its continued existence.

Nice blog faggot

More polished Ubuntu and the only distro with a good out of the box Xfce setup.

Basically this.

>yet another distro copying taskbar+start menu windows 95 paradigm
wow I'm so impressed

It's fun to switch around. I keep my home directory on a separate drive then just use a symlink to it for my new install's home drive. can switch distros in a few minutes usually.

And might i interject. Caring about *nix kernel design Philosophies is the richous path. Caring about DE design philosophy is just plain retarted because it's always been a case of "use what you think looks pretty untill someone inevitably breaks it"

Then you are just back to finding whatever you thinks looks pretty untill someone breaks it again.

i hate it because we have this exact same thread all the fucking time