KDE file picker in Firefox 64

Haven't seen anyone mention this on Jow Forums yet
>Firefox 64 can now use native KDE open/save dialogs! This is optional, bleeding-edge functionality so no distros ship with it yet, but it’s pretty simple to enable yourself:
>>Make sure you’re using Firefox 64
>>Install the xdg-desktop-portal and xdg-desktop-portal-kde packages
>>Set GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 somewhere in your environment. Putting it in Firefox’s Desktop file works. Here’s how: reddit.com/r/kde/comments/a5cxwk/firefox_v64_can_now_use_the_kde_file_selection/ebmemp1/
pointieststick.wordpress.com/2018/12/16/this-week-in-usability-productivity-part-49/

Attached: filepicker.png (742x828, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JUl8grYn6xg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>he fell for the loonix meme

Attached: 1540698248969.png (614x578, 492K)

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Loonix, is in fact, GNU/Loonix, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Loonix. Loonix is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Loonix, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Loonix, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Loonix is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Loonix is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Loonix added, or GNU/Loonix. All the so-called Loonix distributions are really distributions of GNU/Loonix!

Attached: kde filepicker.png (1008x736, 227K)

>all that white space
no thanks

Attached: 1543376808063.png (767x636, 293K)

Which you can adjust.

Holy shidddd, arigato gosaimasu!
75% of the reason of why I switched to Chromium reskins after I'd switched fully to Linux is the dastardly GTK file picker.
I never thought I could pissed off by something so trivial in use-case, but boy, GNO-THANKS sure knows how to push the wrong buttons.

Attached: 5jabklt4s4o11.jpg (1200x800, 79K)

KDE NEVER STOPS WINNING, JANNIES
FUCK NIGGERS

Attached: 1200px-Konqi.png (1200x1269, 300K)

Bump because more anons should know.

You cant say the n word on 4channel

Finally something useful happened in a new firefox release.

It only took GNUtards 23 years to pull it off.

Attached: 1544832577393.gif (540x304, 1.57M)

Didn't OpenSUSE had a patch for this years ago?

OpenSUSE uses a different implementation that's somewhat buggy (files sometimes do not properly save)

Plus the OpenSUSE implementation is not easy to enable unless you use the actual distro

>A proper file picker is "bleeding-edge" on linux
GNU cucks btfo

Attached: satanialaugh.gif (540x304, 1.78M)

it's bleeding-edge for firefox, chromium could nativey use the KDE file picker for many years

>This is optional, bleeding-edge functionality so no distros ship with it yet

linux users are luddites

too bad kde sucks

i really don't see why they had to redo the design when kde4 was goat

BASED GANG youtube.com/watch?v=JUl8grYn6xg

Attached: 1531903515226.jpg (1149x832, 106K)

The OpenSUSE one was just a hack job and didnt even have all the options of the KDE picker

it still doesnt make up for their failure to properly integrate either gnome or qt themes, or the removal of rss in the new release.

still better than the gtk file picker.
but I'm glad I don't have to build firefox again.
shit took forever

>still better than the gtk file picker.
oh I agree, just pointing out this was a real solution this time.

>mozilla
>gnu

Debian update fucked it

Bumping to keep the thread in page 1 until I get home so I can try this

>Posting anime chinese cartoons in a technology board pretending to be taken seriously.

I'm not a programmer but why don't file pickers work with some kind of inter process communication? You'd be able to switch to whichever you want.

I managed to use Firefox with a shit dialog picker for years, I can wait a few more weeks until this is shipped with the normal release.

I'm running mint and everything just worked all the time
What are kde tards celebrating here?

Attached: 1515560283384.png (514x438, 20K)

Post your file picker

because the openSUSE patched version of firefox has existed for forever.

>firefox 64
Commodore 64's the only 64 I need, kiddo.

Attached: boomer.png (680x582, 358K)

>can you keep up with the commodore?
that fucking tune is still stuck in my head
REEEEE

>software upgrades being tested before being carelessly pushed out for everyone is a foreign concept to me, what is bug testing lol i'm retarded off to browse Jow Forumsgaming now
i guess winfags really do enjoy bugs after all

Of course Firefox waits until it's dead to implement this.

About fucking time.

Attached: 1537464694023.png (400x400, 627K)

wtf how did this get a stcky??
footfags btfo!

That's what portal do.
Thank you based Flatpak for pushing portal

The kde4 oxygen themes are still maintained and work with 5.

i only saw a black one for the taskbar

It doesn't look the same as in qt4

The qt, gtk, icon, wm and taskbar themes are in separate packages at least on debian/ubuntu but they do exist.

he doesn't know what that is

You can adjust how much space you want between files.

ppl always exaggerate
gtk3 filechooser is not bad if you don't need thumbnails which you usually don't cos non autists don't use gnu or Jow Forums
at least you can drag and drop - imagine if you couldn't even do that
plus because you're using your file manager for that - all your pics are where you're used to see them at so even if this new feature works soon i'll prob still be using dnd cos i'll prob find my stuff faster

> At least you have a web browser
> Imagine if you couldn’t even shitpost on a tawainese scuba diving forum
Yeah let’s just keep the shitty old filepicker
> issue closed - not a bug, won’t fix

Nice. About time. Relying on the openSUSE patches on Ubuntu was a nightmare.

Attached: file.png (688x528, 100K)

Can I get to use the kde file picker on Arch with i3?

You faggots could have picked a good DE (e.g. KDE) in the first place instead of waiting for someone (who is not the Gnome devs) to fix it for 14 fucking years. And even then it's fixed for JUST Firefox.

Attached: Screenshot_20181217_173428.png (1922x1083, 1.15M)

>who is not the Gnome devs
Portal developer is gnome/red hat developer

i think you still need plasma

do like me

workspace_layout tabbed
hide_edge_borders smart

> w - E
> d n d from pcmanfm
> w - W

Yes, all you need is xdg-desktop-portal-kde and it's dependencies
No

right, and it's deps are kde [more or less plasma]

I don't know about arch but in Ubuntu it doesn't pull plasma-desktop

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-17 23-55-34.png (1366x175, 43K)

yeah it just pulls it's deps :) might as well get the desktop which knowing ubuntu is prob not plasma but some premade ubuntu bloatware

You do know the difference between plasma and kde framework right?
The portal only pull some of kde framework with no any plasma packages. Just like how lxqt also use some of kde framework doesn't mean it will pull the plasma packages.

try
pacman -S xdg-desktop-portal-kde kdialog
start FF with
GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 firefox
reply if it works

are you sure kdialog works outside of kde

I'm on my phone going to sleep. I'll try tomorrow morning.

It should, any qt application still spawn kdialog even when I'm on gnome.

>imagine having to do all of this stuff just to see a fucking thumbmail in the filepicker

Linuxtards are insufferable faggots

FREETARDS BTFO

Attached: 1502552250407.gif (500x491, 376K)

See
It's just a part of freetards who like to get cucked by Gnome. Other desktop environments don't have this problem.

Attached: JoJosh_H1GB.jpg (103x103, 5K)

And what would be the right package in Gentoo... Kdialog? Pulls in an awful lot of shit.

I still don't get why they don't just open their file manager instead of file picker..

>i don't see why having to do extra steps for basic functionality is an issue
ok retard

>wayland
Install Gentoo
USE=-wayland
Done.