Install OpenBSD?

Install OpenBSD?

Attached: openbsd-logos-puffy-pufferfish.jpg (1920x1200, 170K)

Other urls found in this thread:

steemit.com/bsd/@ribalinux/how-to-install-openbsd-6-3-plus-the-mate-desktop-and-basic-applications
reddit.com/r/openbsd/comments/7xjvoe/starting_mate_session/
unixjunkies.xyz/blog/openbsd-6-3-and-the-mate-desktop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

NOW

2019 will be the year of the *BSD desktop and the OpenBSD router

The year of the BSD desktop already happened.

Doesn't matter anyway. The fucking usb won't boot.

Yes!

>Sent from my OpenBSD

i cant even succesfully install a de other than x

you are retarded

how do i do it

im going to try netbsd

Attached: 1544744488591.png (652x518, 45K)

>OpenBSD
if you though Linux had no games...

steemit.com/bsd/@ribalinux/how-to-install-openbsd-6-3-plus-the-mate-desktop-and-basic-applications

reddit.com/r/openbsd/comments/7xjvoe/starting_mate_session/

unixjunkies.xyz/blog/openbsd-6-3-and-the-mate-desktop

I tried it this weekend. I can't get the wifi to work and I don't have a wired connection. OpenBSD is easier so far, though I haven't done anything with NetBSD other than install it and try to get the wifi working.

You're not writing install64.iso to your flash drive, are you? You want install64.fs

>dhewm3 (Doom 3)
>openrct2 (Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2)
>openmw (Morrowind)
>openrw (GTA III)
>emulators
>etc.

I was..trying fs now. thanks

slow as shit. nobody use it.

Will steam work?

No, OpenBSD doesn't have a Linux compat layer anymore.

the fs booted but is stuck at the first screen.

Attached: openbsdboot.jpg (4032x3024, 2.04M)

Is that last character (|) stuck in place or is it twiddling (switching between | / - \)?

I have a question about the openbsd installation images. Why are both the amd64 and the i386 images both called install64.fs?

This is how it looks. Nothing happens. Sometimes it just flashes and reboot my pc into debian.

That's version 6.4. The previous ones were called install63.fs

What computer is it?

Why can't you burn the ISO to a CD?

HP Elitebook 2540p

Seems like it gets stuck at the "/-\" part.

Attached: openbsdboot2.jpg (4032x3024, 2.04M)

Maybe check the BIOS and make sure the hard drive SATA is set to AHCI?

They are.

this might just be the universe telling me to stop distrohopping like a maniac.

>Why can't you burn the ISO to a CD?
You can. The .fs image is the one that can't be burned. And the inverse with flash drives.

Try it with an ISO burned to a CD. If that doesn't work, the universe is telling you to get a computer that works with OpenBSD.

>same fagging

why do you think that?

wine doesn't work on it, so I will never bother. And GNU/Linux is superior anyway.

>wine doesn't work on it
No but you can use X forwarding from an OS that supports Wine
>And GNU/Linux is superior anyway
Nah

Is there anything about openbsd that makes it superior to freebsd?

1. Secure by default
2. Doesn't try to imitate Linux
3. No CoC

There’s only one BSD based unix worth using

Attached: F5E0F8EE-C6B7-4147-B215-57D9ABF0C6C9.jpg (1600x900, 176K)

Just dropped that trash

I stopped using OS X when it became clear that it was unmaintained. Modern OS X is also deeply laden with spyware and botnet.

bait

I don't have cd's

>t. too stupid for unix

Attached: 54706133-293D-4E61-BD35-3DAEFE916BF4.jpg (1320x743, 168K)

I use Unix, but I like my Unix to have some developers. OS X is dead and has been for many years.

It’s a Pajeet.

>the worlds most popular consumer unix version is dead

Try harder brainlet

Attached: 9F13E27C-D931-448B-987A-44B188E27994.png (750x1334, 113K)

"No!"

I prefer NetBSD, but I respect OpenBSD. The problem is the developers don't actually want you to use it. However, unlike the FreeBSD developers, they actually use it, so that's a plus.

proprietary bullshit

>the developers don't actually want you to use it
Not really. All the developers have been very kind to me when I've submitted bug reports and patches, and have been helpful and nice guys.

OpenBSD is a meme not a sane distro

openrw is unfinished, retard
at least shill stuff that actually works

dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

I used it as my router for over a year.

Nothing of interest then...

You've been shilling very hard lately. Did applel give you a raise or have you become even more obsessed with your fruit toys

Didn't know, cunt.

>thousands of games
>nothing of interest
Yeah okay buddy

Deleting lots of mails, eh?

Does anyone know what's up with gentoo-openbsd?

>thousands of games
>emulated nintendo games from the previous century

this is what happens when you use the bsd license.

Attached: mpv-shot0034.jpg (1920x1080, 284K)

>they aren't worth playing because they didn't come out yesterday
>implying the NES was the only thing in existence until the 8th gen came out

tf is that

walmart whoring out puffy

>Not really. All the developers have been very kind to me when I've submitted bug reports and patches, and have been helpful and nice guys.
It's still a research OS more than anything. THe fact it will never have WINE support, will never have AMDGPU, and the Linux compat layer is gone is a 110% dealbreaker for me. Great router OS though.

openrw is pretty much a proof of concept which is a shame since i fucking love gta3

>compat layers
you want proprietary software THAT badly?

>you want proprietary software THAT badly?
Not an argument.

It’s not maintained, Pajeet. It’s full of old software, and Apple can’t even maintain their own Server package any more.

Just run an Alpine Linux VM and use that for Wine.

development model
pushing changes into FreeBSD is hard dealing with leadership
on OpenBSD you at least get gtfo the same day and not after weak of waiting

I'm going to give up debian to try this.

I hope I won't be disappointed.

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>Proper virtualization (vmd/vmm is awful compared to KVM+QEMU or even Virtualbox)
>and probably more

Attached: 1544571193984.png (1000x1000, 168K)

Same issue with the HP elitebook 8440p

>give up debian to try this

Try it out in VirtualBox.

Anyone?

I've never seen that. I only install it with a CD. Try hitting ctl+c or ctl+alt+F1 or ctl+alt+F2.

I think it's the USB drive. How did you create this bootable USB and what file format is it? Try it with FAT32 format if you can't boot to a CD. Also try using Rufus or some other program to create the bootable USB. With Rufus you might be able to burn the ISO to the USB - that might work.

>sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/image of=/dev/sdb status=progress oflag=sync
Works on almost all other OSs I have tried. The ones that didn't work didn't boot at all. openbsd boots, only it stops. Sometimes it just flashes the boot screen then reboots.

Try one of those programs that burns an ISO to the USB to trick the computer into seeing the USB as a CD drive.

What program for linux would you recommend for that?

Try unetbootin

I'm the other user from yesterday. Your dd is correct. Can you try booting from the stick on another computer? (It's safe, you can turn it off when it gets to the install prompt.) Also, maybe try another USB stick. I wouldn't bother with unetbootin (but try it if you want, I'm not your boss).

I have two USBs. Same with both. Only 1 working pc though.

Bummer. Ten years and dozens of computers and I haven't seen that problem. Sorry I can't help, dude. Wish I knew what's going on.

Try unetbootin. Or get a portable CD burner and try that.

I opened the usb in mate (used bspwm before) and the usb with the fs file was completely empty. Is it normal to not "see" items in a fs usb? I tried to make a fedora iso usb and I could see items in it.

I have a burner I just dont have CD's to burn.

Your screenshots show the USB drive as hd0a. OpenBSD usually has USB drives show up as sd1, sd2, etc and the hard drive is sd0.

From a Linux machine, try downloading the .iso file from openbsd.org and use unetbootin to load it onto the USB drive. Unetbootin should format it properly.

I love openbsd but lack of webrtc or electron support is a deal breaker for desktop. I need discord voice for work. I think I will write a sane client for openbsd.

Thank you if you actually do that. I'm experimenting with using an Alpine Linux VM for the few Linux applications that I need.

In unetbooting I can only choose /dev/sdb1 and when I try to make the usb it says I need to mount the usb first. If it's not mounted how the fuck can I browse the contents of it?

Whatever, it's not worth it. I give up.

Universe, you win again.

Under vmm? Does audio work? Could you test discord?

I don't know what OS/distro your using so I can't tell you how to mount it. Just go to your search engine of choice and type "how to mount USB drive in [OS-name-goes-here]

I have heard that there are issues with audio in VMM. There was a thread about it on Jow Forumsopenbsd

>full of old software
isn't that just unix in general?

debian. I might be a brainlet but isn't pic related proof that it is mounted?

Attached: Skjermbilde på 2018-12-18 05-41-44.png (1280x800, 312K)

Try saving a text file to it.

377MB? Do you have a USB drive that's at least 1GB?

unironically use the bloated electron app called etcher
itjustwerks

write protected it says. I think I need to format it to use it as a normal usb again.
I know for a fact that I have used this exact same usb when installing debian.

It's 32GB. I believe it's the openbsd itself that is 377mb.

You should format it and the OpenBSD file should he the only thing on the disk.