Is Overclocking a Même?

What's the point of overclocking when, most of the time, the money you spend on a fancier board and bigger cooler could simply be spent on a faster processor in the first place? I have an R7 2700 non x that I got on sale for $225, and I'm wondering whether it's even worth it to shell out an extra $50 for a cooler that will allow it to get to 4.2 GHz, especially when the TDP reportedly goes from 65w to 180w.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-16-21-11-15.jpg (1080x1392, 459K)

It's the computer equivalent of the guy who takes an old Honda Civic, strips everything out of it and puts a monster engine in it. He's not really accomplishing anything significant by making that car go 180 mph, but it's something to do and it makes him happy so whatever. I haven't overclocked anything since I was a teen in the 90's because that was the last time someone else bought me a computer, and I'd rather wait 3 extra picoseconds for my web browser to open than risk fucking up my hardware and losing money for the sake of vanity over a nice benchmark. Whether they are willing to admit it or not very few people benefit in any tangible way from overclocking, then ones benefiting probably operating in very niche roles like rendering large video files, intensive scientific calculations, stuff like that.

come at me nerds I don't give a fuck

Attached: ya know exactly what ya did.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

the only actual reason is single core performance
that said you can overclock 2600 even on shitty cheap boards easily so why not

Because you can get a 2600x for $20 more and it will perform as good or better than your OC'd 2600 without you having to worry about voltage and fucking your shit up.

you're literally wrong
non x has better value than x, even if you don't oc

It made more sense when chips were pushing the limit of performance instead of trying to conserve as much energy as possible because we weren't able to scale switching voltage down with transistor area.

Yes.

Clock boost tech like Intel's max boost and AMD's precision boost have made OC all but irrelevant. They are already able to boost nearly to the limits of most cooling solutions and you will rarely get more out of them without spending hundreds of dollars on a custom water loop, and at that point it's all just vanity and dickwaving anyway.

I think it's ok to overclock really old crap. I did it to a 775 Pentium I had, I was a nice boost for a really expendable chip I had laying around

The X will be better binned and will be clocked higher at stock, meaning it starts at a higher clock and will reach higher clocks when OC'd, and with Precision Boost both chips are likely going to get close to whatever the cooling solution allows in terms of stable clocks anyway.

Yes overclocking is a meme. It's something people who enjoy fiddling with systems they assembled like to do. It's never a good idea $$$ wise outside of special edge cases like used hardware and deep discounts.

this
the last chip I got a significant performance boost out of OCing was my phenom II 965

now I can't really do much better than turbo boost already does on air without having at least a slightly unstable clock and bsoding randomly is really tedious

Undervolting is fun though.

I overclocked my RAM without that many issues

I don't know if I should BLCK overclock my 4460

I'm grabbing an RX 570 that it's obnoxiously cheap but it's also not great at overclocking

as long as you don't fool yourself into thinking you're doing anything productive, or use jaytwoshill arguments about the value of "performance you get for free" aka 2-3 fps in certain games, then there's nothing wrong with overclocking for fun as a time waster or kind of hobby if you find maxing benchmark scores fun (I unironically find it entertaining for whatever reason)

>and losing money
>having to worry about voltage and fucking your shit up.
>not knowing about the
part of overclocking
The absolute state of Jow Forums
You only blow shit up if you're
1. using a shit board NOT rated to handle the increased TDP of your processor
2. going beyond the recommended operating voltage of your CPU; and
3. using the stock cooler
>time waster
Overclocking your CPU literally takes 15 minutes at most if you're not a brainlet, plus running your stressbench of choice for X amount of time, which you can leave on anyway. RAM overclocking is the one that takes the most time and even then XMP has almost rendered it obsolete.

anything more than a mild overclock on stock voltage is a meme.

All the good motherboards are geared towards gaming and while the downside is the cringy aesthetic and useless features like meme sound chips, the upside is that plenty of them come with stuff like automatic overclockers.

No, going to 5GHz on a 3.2GHz base clock CPU is not a productive use of time. But going to 4GHz on the same CPU is easy enough that the automatic overclocker can do it for you, meaning that the time investment from your side is 5 seconds to enable the option and then 5 minutes to run a super quick stress test monitoring the voltages to make sure it didn't fuck up something in a retarded manner (I've used several mobos with that feature so far, MSI and ASRock, and none of them did anything retarded that would require manual fixing, but it's always better to be safe).

Fuck off phoneposting baguette

I over clocked my old 4690k setup to 4.5 GHz and ran it for 4 years until my shitty Gigabyte Z97 bit the dust
I said fuck Intel from that point and got an Asus B350 board and a 2400G and haven't over clocked it yet because the performance of the 2400G stock is the same as the Devil's Canyon @4.5
probably will OC soon though to see how long the TUF board will take it with its shitty 4+2 setup, might get a new board around the time when Zen 2 drops and take advantage of the sales around then

Attached: polla.png (326x476, 115K)

My i5 2500k system was built in 2011

It's over clocked to 4.6ghz from 3.7ghz. I won't be replacing this for another year or two or even three before it's not useful anymore. Entirely because it's overclocked I don't have to buy hardware.

Motherboard was $120 and cooler $30 btw. You don't need to buy something crazy.

Overclocking became a meme when Intel locked all multipliers exept "K" cpu's.
Binning is way tighter now so you don't get much benefits for the money.

It's more like a cool kids club now.

>t. salty intlel poorfag
Ryzen CPUs don't have this issue

Its literally just something for people to do after they finish building their pc because they like tech. I have a fully kitted out home rack for the same reason.

why "fuck intel" tho? that seemed like a decent OC that lasted quite a bit until the mobo of all things failed
fuck intel for their pricing and stalling product innovation, but not sure about that

It depends on the processor, gen 2 ryzen has a very good boost algorithm and it'll push the CPU as far as it can go without thermal throttling (I think it can boost up to 4.2GHz on a single core even with the stock cooler), so OCing a 2700x doesn't increase performance significantly.
On the other hand, take gen 1 ryzen for example, say a 1700 or 1600, you'd get a decent perform boost by OCing even with the stock cooler given that their speced boost is very low (3.6GHz IIRC).
So a all core OC @3.8GHz will destroy stock performance any day of the week, you will have to deal with higher power consumption and heat and you can easily overcome that with a more aggressive fan curve.

I'm overclocking my ryzen 5 1400 and novydia 1060 and even my ram, all with stock cooling and no extra money paid for overclocking parts.
I get about 20 percent performance for free and I'm confident I'm not breaking anything at least for 3-4 years I'll be using this hardware, especially considering I rarely push the hardware to its limits.
Also even if you include a non stock cooler, first that'll last you for your next build unlike just a better CPU model, second it's possible to upgrade the cooler AFTER you built your machine unlike getting a better CPU model, and third it's not necessarily the case that a better cooler is more expensive than a better CPU, especially when you get into the more expensive CPUs.

First off you almost always want a better cooler than stock, there is simply no reason not to, only now that AMD ships fairly decent ones would I even consider not getting one in some cases, and your non stockcooler might probably outlive several of your builds I mean the people who bought a Noctua DH-12 in the early 2000s can still use it today and have it be fairly competitive especially if push pulling a pair of good fans (Enermax D.F Pressure)
Second, OC recently has become less interesting because every CPU is very close to the limit and Turbo / PBO has become capable of giving you an almost similar to actual OC performance boost, back to haswell and before though you didn't get that shit and many CPU could handle significant improvements with the only requirement being not having a trash heatsink the best examples come from intel where the Core 2 and first three gen Core iX could handle sometimes 1Ghz+ OC like it was just fucking nothing but pretty much anyone who had a Athlon 64 or Phenom 2 and wasn't a retard had that shit OC'ed or undervolted, they would generally handle +400Mhz or -0.150v just fine on stock cooling so why the fuck not.

because of the motherboard sockets going obsolete every generation which causes prices on replacements to sky rocket due to zero availability
I like the fact AMD sticks with sockets far longer which doesn't limit availability, and Ryzen was more cost effective while giving me the same performance as the competing generation of Intlel, plus I wanted to switch back to AMD anyways since my first computer had the original Athlon from the late 90s/early 00s

Had someone over and we wanted to play some games so brought out an old q6600 pc to lan with. It got shitty framerates so ended up over clocking it an extra 800mhz and it was now playable. Went from about 30 fps to 50.

In my case with a 5820k, the cheapest boards were overclockable and I got a noctua cooler for & 50ish, much less than the step up to a 5930k or 5960X. I overclocked it to 4.7Ghz stable which puts it ahead of the 5960X single and multithreaded.

I too bought a 2700, non-X. Best I could do is 3900 at 1.3375v (==1.262v with default LLC) at 74C, anything beyond that put out too much heat for 120mm AIO.
Left it at 3800 at 1.25v - good enough, but certainly not an easy overclock to 4GHz, will try again some day with more fans and lapped CPU and baseplate.

coolers don't expire dumb fuck
>one-time cost of $50 spread out over 5 years
nobody buys $40 motherboards anymore unless it's literally a $400 budget build
>$0

all you have to do is overclock high enough to meet the next CPU model and voila you even save money

Running a 1700 here OC to 1800X speeds, gets same performance, magnitude cheaper

Undervolt and underclock. Real men don't need more Gigaborks for their desktop scrot thread.
Also, if you're here from /v/, know that all good games ever made can run on a P4 anyway.
Deal with it nerds.

Attached: watch this drive.png (422x395, 187K)

In the old days you could get massive overclocks like 50%+ on most CPUs

Nowadays they basically come factory overclocked and they turbo up to very near their max potential so yes, overclocking is a meme for modern CPUs.

Recently purchased a 2600 and it can't OC above 3.9 without silly voltages. Maybe they're binning them better.

It runs my gaymes easily enough, so shouldn't complain, but I'll be getting an X version next time

>and I'm wondering whether it's even worth it to shell out an extra $50 for a cooler that will allow it to get to 4.2 GHz,
I have a noctua d15 I used to cool my 9590 and it can't manage to keep this fucking thing under 60c when doing anything meaningful. What you should do is get a program like process lasso to switch to the powersaving power plan whenever you're not doing anything.

No amount of overclocking under realistic voltage will give you any more than 5fps in games or a few seconds in render time. It does that out of the box with PBO. What you should do instead is properly configure your ram timings to be as tight as possible, then get your ram to go as fast as possible, then dial it back two or three ticks then leave it. Free 20% performance in shit that uses ram, doesn't effect stability if you're not retarded.

If you purchased a high quality board you should be able to set a negative voltage offset, which will do you much better than any cooler on the market for hitting and maintaining good clocks under load because PBO is retarded and pins the cpu to 1.5v when it sees a 16 thread load, which is uncoolable with anything but liquid nitrogen.

Attached: 1507179535305.jpg (3264x2448, 711K)

Ok fag

This was with the included cooler? Did you notice any improvements in games, rendering, etc after the overclock, and did it affect the TDP drastically?

Turbo-clocking and locking down lower-end SKUs pretty much murdered overclocking.

The only reason to do it is for pure epenis and you don't give a fuck about your hardware and data.

>This was with the included cooler? Did you notice any improvements in games, rendering, etc after the overclock, and did it affect the TDP drastically?
A 120mm AIO (Corsair H75) in an SG13. I only played Witcher in 1440p, no noticeable improvement, not that I measured it. Cinebench scores went up from 1460 stock to 1720 though.
I have no idea how to properly measure TDP, but HWInfo reports up to 125W package power during Intel Burn Test, on stock settings this wouldn't go past 70W