/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid question thread. "No edition" edition.
Ask your stupid questions here.

Previous thread
(What's dis???) (You) (What's dis???) (Cross-thread) (What's dis???)

>Read
(What's dis???) (Cross-thread) (What's dis???)

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed) (OwO) (embed) (OwO)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed) (OwO) (embed) (OwO)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed) (OwO) (embed) (OwO)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (OwO) (embed) (OwO)

Attached: nowait.jpg (463x463, 187K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iH_tTWibpd0
mega.nz/#!MFYAFIxB!8sYaIJKX3ZnLY0kaXbSZE5LU_7lwGFeVkxt07HGULck
archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/lib32-libxml2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why is the op mentally retarded?

I know you are, but what am I?

I want a decent gratis email provider. I've got a gmail and a protonmail, but I need one with my real name for applying for jobs. I'm hesitant to make another on either site because google is shit and protonmail doesn't support IMAP. I do often check my email via a web browser, but I'm looking to move away from that in the future and use something like Gnus or Mutt. I did a search already and it doesn't seem like there's anything very good out there. Yahoo and AOL don't feel like an improvement over Gmail.

Cock.li is always good.
I'd go for (yourname)@cumallover.me so that you get the best jobs.

So im trying to set up a basic tcp chat room and i have some simple code to do so, but how do i actually get a real ip where i can host it? Do i have to buy that? I have no idea how this works

Ah, I forgot about cock.li. I guess firemail sounds somewhat normal. I'll make one of those.

Do you think it's a good idea?

Attached: DuFaguVU4AAUgc9.jpg (1200x846, 161K)

How hard would it be to make a filter to monitor IP addresses that track the amount of time a user has spent on a forum and set a rule that they can't post until they have spent a certain amount of time browsing the forum?

My granddad has dementia and I'm really upset about the whole situation. We've moved him out of his home and sold his house. I was only told about the house a couple weeks before it was handed over. All of this upset me a lot. I drove into the country to see his house one last time and select what I wanted to keep. I chose two chairs - the one I used to sit in as a kid when we'd visit, and the one my granddad would sit in.
The two chairs have been in my parents' shed for storage since. I asked my dad to LABEL which one is my grandad's chair so I'd know, they both appear identical. As soon as he told me they were being stored in his shed I asked to make sure because he's a fucking asshole if he labelled them. He told me "no I didn't label them, but I positioned one closer to the door because..." some confusing bullshit. I got visibly distressed by this and explained I care a lot about this and that he might forget his reasoning for their positioning and that I don't understand. I asked him to label them and again he agreed.

That was two months ago. I came to collect them today and I got really sad and pissed off. Not only were they not labelled, but they're both positioned right beside each other. I asked my dad to say which is which and he doesn't fucking know.

Call me crazy for giving a shit. Call me lazy for not doing it myself. But this really fucks me up. It makes me so sad that we have no video evidence of what my granddad was like. I will never hear his voice again. All memories I have of him will fade with time. It's good we have pictures but it doesn't capture his presence or our memories of him. He's not dead yet but every time I see him it doesn't give me any comfort. When I went down to his house in the country for the last time I was crying. Again, call me fucking crazy. My dad's reaction was "jeez" or some shit. I want to punch him in the face right now. I wish he had just said no so I could do it myself. I fucking hate my dad. Piece of shit asshole.

>Have dynamic IP
>Never get to post
>Phoneposters btfo
>Me btfo (not phoneposter)
I don't know if it would be a good or a bad trade.

it would be a good a good trade.

But would there be a way so that Dynaniggers and phonefags could be encompassed in the delay as well?

I softbricked my moto e5 trying to root it following an XDA thread. The screen is completely black but it receives fastboot commands when connected to a PC so I dunno what the hell happened. I tried restoring but during the process I encountered some errors pictured in the image.
I'm just at a lost, I thought it was because at first I was trying to restore from the wrong stock image but getting the correct one didn't do anything.

Attached: Capture.png (761x624, 59K)

Fingerprinting or cookies, but at that point you're allowing phoneposters and blocking me! Not at all worth the trade.

Everyone deals with death differently. Your dad may deal with death by being an asshole. When my grandfather passed away it was after 20 years of fighting cancer. He was a bad ass. A very quiet man. He was brilliant. Did some crazy shit for the military. He would laugh when we asked about aliens. He wouldn't let 4 year old me win at chess. I had to beat him for real. The day I finally did, we didn't play for a month. The way we remember people is by continuing to talk about them. I miss watching movies and setting up AV around the house. I miss the way he took care of the koi pond. I miss the way my grandmother would nag him. I miss the way he would teach me math and be confused because he was an environmental engineer. People live through memories and the important part is you remember the conversations in those chairs, not which chair is which.

>Fingerprinting or cookies
Disgusting. I wonder if it would be possible to just have the delay on the static IP's and/or have an account or something to get around the issue.

C:\winfaggot
lol kys

Am I taking this board too seriously if posts here sometimes make me feel insecure about my software preferences?

he's triggered

Attached: 1544803408976.png (498x161, 36K)

Well, examine that emotion. Why do you feel personally attacked by someone insulting software you use? Have you heard the arguments for and against that software? Is there an alternative to your software that would solve your problems better?

>that pic
No, no, not that hentai, noooo
Delete this thread, and start a new WITHOUT that pic, unironically

You have piqued my curiosity with your comment. What hentai is it? And why does it disturb you so much?

I've only recently heard of rasberry pi, can I get a couple of them cheap and put a bunch of emulators and roms on them for gifts to my nephews/nieces?
Is it as simple as doing that, to just load up some emus to run on an hdmi out to the tv for the kids?

4k videos on my previous setup (i5 4460 / 280X) would stutter like crazy sometimes, specifically on youtube (as mpv is doing fine as long as I don't set a high quality preset).

GPU died and I was wondering, would a newer GPU improve that or is it CPU bound specifically?

If the chairs are physically identical, what distinguishes them from one another? Where exists the essence of grandfather's chair, without which it would not be itself? Your emotional attachment to the chair only exists in your mind and not in the tangible matter. Knowing which chair he rested in would not bring you peace. Directing frustration at your father would not bring you peace.
If you cannot let this go, then cherish the two as two halves of a whole. Is it more significant that he sat there or you sat there, or that you two sat together as a pair?

faget :^)

Which VR headset should I buy? I have a PS4 but I don't use it much. I have a pretty good PC.

what network (not verizon/att, but 2g, 3g, etc) does this run on and how do i tell so i never have to ask again?

Attached: Nokia-230-dark-blue-and-light-gray.jpg (1200x1142, 209K)

A GPU would improve things, but even the best hardware money can buy will hit some limit if you rely purely on software. I get stutter when I watch 1920x1200 game footage I made because its bitrate fluctuates intensely. I can watch it perfectly fine with hardware decoding however. The browser might benefit if you're on Windows, but I recommend watching everything in mpv. Your CPU is fine.

Isn't that the one where the oniichan got turned into a vegetable and raped by three lolis?

Attached: 1542131946410.png (324x229, 14K)

Tiny Evil 4, my friend tricked me that it's a good manga, so looked it up, found it on nhentai (had a bad feeling, but still visited the site), started to read, stoped at page 4, suicidal thoughts filled my head
Briefly, it's a reverse rape/bdsm loli hentai

my thinkpad is 1600 x 900 resolution. how can I play media in 1080p on my tv? I have chromecast and vlc chromecasting works perfect for this except for anime subtitles. My thinkpad doesn't have a hdmi port. It has a vga one but I assume that will just upscale from 1600 x 900 to 1080p and not be true 1080p.
what are my options here? willing to spend money on a solution (in fact spending a bit of money would be nice for a little christmas present to give myself).

Are you unable to extend the displays? Don't clone them, because they will share the resolution if you do. If each display is showing its own thing, you can manipulate their resolutions separately.

Is it possible to export just the video titles of a youtube playlist in some kind of a readable file.

>want to make a list from the music playlist, just in case something happens to it

When I play a youtube video in my second monitor, while playing a video game in my primary monitor, the youtube video turns to an extremely low FPS. if I focus the youtube window it normalizes. neither CPU or GPU are maxed out, how do I fix this?
Browser is firefox, windows 10.

Not sure if it would be cheap but here's a toturial video for that youtu.be/iH_tTWibpd0

If I'm still installing Windows 10 to a brand new drive do I need to grab network drivers before hand or does it actually come with them during the install?

Some websites stop me from right-clicking on images to prevent saving them. Is there something like a browser extension that gets past this?

Right click and inspect element, and look around in the HTML until you find a direct link.
You can also try looking inside of the network monitor.

In my case some of them don't bring up the context menu outright, although that's still possible it's still a relatively clunky method depending on the website. Just wondering if there's a more efficient means of saving multiple or forcing inspect element over whatever my mouse with a key combination or something.

It is, unfortunately

Grab network drivers before and stick them on a usb/external. Same for graphic drivers.
If you're on an older system you can use 8.1 drivers if 10 ones aren't supported (I think)

I promissed on Friday that'll I'll upload a Win 7 Ultimate SP1 with Servicing Stack Update kb3020369, Convenience Rollup Update kb3125574, USB3.0 drivers and nvme drivers.
You still need to activate after as this is a standard disk with integrated updates.
4.58GB in size
mega.nz/#!MFYAFIxB!8sYaIJKX3ZnLY0kaXbSZE5LU_7lwGFeVkxt07HGULck
You're free to make it into a torrent, if you do leave the magnet so I can seed as well

How can I check the network traffic / bandwidth usage/ activity of all devices connected to my local network?

Firefox suddenly states that it cannot read my profile. So i renamed the "default" profile and not it still cannot launch.
I cannot uise the '-p' switch to go to the profile manager.
How the fuck do i get firefox to work again?

Degree vs work experience + certs for IT?

Ok this is really a stupid question: How do I learn a code such as Python essentially? Do I just go on a site and read?

I want to learn Python because I'm an experimenting biologist and I need to turn a lot of data into statistical analysis.

Thanks for all your answers!

mail.com has about 100 domains you can use
unseen.is
theres literally thousands of providers

Is upgrading from a cat5e cable to a cat6 cable a sizable upgrade?

>buy new ssd
>go to install it
>no links left on existing lane
>add new 12v lane to power supply(modular)
>connect ssd
>press power button
>nothing happens
>unplug psu power cord
>let it sit
>plug it back in
>press power button
>nothing
>unplkug 12v cable
>powers on and posts
>find y sata power plitter
>daisy chain in to existing hdd lane
>boots
The power supply is 1500W, and i am no where near using that much.PSU calculators approximate ~750W 24/7 100% usage.
Why wont it power on that port?

By lane you mean another sata power cable, right? It sounds like a short circuit, the PSU won't turn on because of that. Check the cable and the hole it occupies on the PSU. Try another cable and hole if possible.

>lane
Yes, it is the last 12v cable that came with the power supply. I used canned air on the input on the cable and on the port. I dont have any other cables to test with.
>hole
It is the last port on the psu, everyything else is used.
I'm fine with it being daisy chained, but i dont want to keep using the psu if its going to explode when i go to sleep and fry everything else.

If it were a poor PSU, and my guess about this being a short circuit was right, it would have exploded already. Great PSUs that come with all the fancy safety features will just shut off (or not turn on at all) if there's something wrong - that is why you shell out extra for such a PSU in the first place. I dunno if anything bad can come from daisy chaining HDD/SSD power, but if you're worried you'll have to use the vacant cable in the other hole to test, and use the free cable in the other one. Some cables come with their own capacitors (I saw these EVGA ones, for example), so I'm betting the cable is just faulty. I could be wrong though.

Am I missing anything?
Already have a case, power, cooling, drives.
I've always built my own desktop but I always forget at least two things every time and end up having to order them once I find out.

This year I got a bunch of extra money from my tax refund and thought "fuck it I want to make a strong desktop for once" instead of something that just floats me by for the next ten years.

Attached: ss+(2018-12-17+at+06.24.04).png (1534x777, 171K)

Refresh

I have a smart TV which can play YouTube and Netflix no problem at 4k. I have fibre internet with a connection speed of around 70mb and the browser is Firefox. I can't see it being the internet speed if the TV can load everything fine?

Define "lags". Does it load slowly?

Got a bad sector on a hard drive, anything I should do about it?

Backup

It'll run like a slideshow. It only seems to happen on certain videos? I tested watching a 30min video of Linus tech tips and it was fine. But when I tried watching Battlefield 1 in 4k it was a slideshow again

Do you have a true 4k tv or a 1440p "4k" tv?

>paying 600 for a 1080
>not paying 600 for a 2070
BRUH

Where

Literally everywhere
>amazon newegg fucking walmart

If it only happens on 4k video, it's a performance problem. You're on Windows right, and you're using hardware acceleration? Anyway, I suggest streaming with mpv+youtube-dl.

Why does every torrent program I try download the file only about halfway, then die, but old Utorrent always gets to 100%? Does it have something to do with my crappy upload speeds?

Damn I'm dumb. Thanks.
Hows this look?
I've got a budget of about $2000 and this is coming out $1980

Attached: ss+(2018-12-17+at+07.01.51).png (1177x714, 64K)

user, fastboot is NOT for rooting your phone

Don't bully him, and get the fuck off, life-less idiot

I'd ditch the aio, and get a noctua d15. AIO dont really perform better then air. and are usually louder If you want liquid,do a custom loop to get maximum performance.
I would double your ram, 16 is kinda light in >current year

please respond.

What am I suppose to do with that much ram?

Caching
linuxatemyram.com
Read it

I use templeOS though.

I dont care, your system will still cache everything and performance is improve

Lads, I am going to get a SSD and do a fresh install of windows on it, do I have to change anything in the BIOS for the new SSD?

Do you recommend anything in 2x16?

I recently did a clean install of LTSC and activated it with KMS_VL_ALL, I want to replace my mobo so how does activation work? Will I need to run KMS_VL_ALL again or will windows not give a fuck?

archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/lib32-libxml2/

how do I install this with yaourt or pacman?

4 slots provide more bandwidth. If its a quad channel mobo then get 4 peices, if its only dual channel get 2x16

I'll probably just add more RAM later, then.
Got a smaller SSD too; don't really need 1TB since I have a 2TB HDD.

Attached: ss+(2018-12-17+at+07.22.59)(2).png (1148x682, 64K)

No, unless you have another drive in there, then you may need to change the boot order.

Accidentally posted in the previous thread because im an idiot.

Whats the easier coding language? Python or Java? How do I start teaching myself how to code with this language without going to a college or university?

I have a HDD, so I should just change the order to SSD first and HDD second, yes?
And in the install screen I can just delete/format the HDD and select the SSD without having any problems, right?

come on Jow Forumsentlemen arch linux and package related stuff is your forte

I'd say from personal experience Python is far more flexible and if you're a beginner it will help you understand other programming languages a lot easier than if you were to start out with Java.

The most helpful thing I learned from Python was what its inefficiencies were, because once I knew those I knew what direction I should look for improving myself and what better languages there are to take for that. It's kind of like when you're a new consumer and you buy random trash in certain price ranges and fiddle with it for a while so you know what to look for when you finally make the big lasting purchase. Python makes its downsides very clear once you become experienced with it and that helps you understand exactly what you want in a language and helps you find it quicker. Java is just a fucking mess.

python
you learn by good blog posts or youtube videos followed by reading the documentation

I'm trying to get onto Jow Forums's IRC but I'm failing heavily. Can anyone help and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

[15:43] *NickServ* register mypassword myemail
[15:43] -NickServ- A passcode has been sent to myemail, please type /msg NickServ confirm to complete registration
[15:43] *NickServ* confirm CGEcW0IIh
[15:43] -NickServ- Nickname myNickname registered under your account:
[15:43] == Usermode change: +r
[15:43] -NickServ- Your nickname is now being changed to Guest37876
[15:43] == Usermode change: -r
[15:43] == myNickname has changed nick to Guest37876
[15:43] -NickServ- Your nickname is now being changed to Guest21460
[15:44] == #Jow Forums You need to login to services to join or speak in that channel.

I have registered using the code, why doesn't it let me join? What's going on?

Yes set the SSD first. You can format the HDD from within windows once it's installed. I would not have the HDD physically attached to the mobo while you're installing.

You need to identify

I thought a 2600 and 580 were a perfect pair? How accurate is this site?

Attached: Screenshot_20181217-155658.png (1080x2160, 449K)

When I do that I get
[15:59] -NickServ- Your nick isn't registered.

Odd, no?

Did you change your nick to the registerd one?
Read the output, it changed you to a guest.

Anyone know of a way to make a windows computer act as a bluetooth input device so that I can use its keyboard on something else? I did some googling and only found either apps that dont do what Im wanting to do or people saying to use a net based approach like vnc or something. Im trying to pair my laptop keyboard with my raspberry pi because I currently only have a usb mouse on me and using on screen keyboard makes me wanna neck myself.

Attached: bootooth.png (750x750, 46K)

It's grain of salt bullshit. If it does what you want then it doesn't matter. Different tasks prioritize different strengths, you'll rarely strike dead center.

Also of course it shills a 1080.

Tried Synergy? Works fine for me across multiple things.

Honestly I'm left baffled. I'm not sure if I'm using the right syntax but when I use /Nick [My username] it says it's held for a registered user. Then if I try it again it says the account is suspended

[16:09] -NickServ- Nickname the41362 registered under your account:
[16:09] == Usermode change: +r
[16:09] -NickServ- Your nickname is now being changed to Guest34364
[16:09] == Usermode change: -r
[16:09] == the41362 has changed nick to Guest34364
[16:09] -NickServ- Your nickname is now being changed to Guest27173
[16:09] == the41362 This nick is being held for a registered user. For help with regaining nicknames please see /nickserv help release
[16:09] *NickServ* IDENTIFY
[16:09] -NickServ- Syntax: IDENTIFY password
[16:09] -NickServ- /msg NickServ HELP IDENTIFY for more information.
[16:09] *NickServ* IDENTIFY mypassword
[16:09] -NickServ- Your nick isn't registered.

/nick mynick
/msg nickserv identify password

I tried those, when I try the former it says it's held for a registered user, when I try the latter it says the last line, that the nick isn't registered