What's the worst tech job you ever had?

streamable.com/h6do7

Attached: cubicle 1.jpg (849x393, 402K)

teaching what you do to a dumb and lazy coworker

cant complain. but my sister is a C# dev... fixes bugs on a big government project. Sounds like hell to me.

>What's the worst tech job you ever had?
Working as an embedded developer. EE's can't program for shit.

Change that to offshore worker and that's me

never had a tech job. I program as a hobby.

This is what happens when you let women make decisions. PwC has 10 years left at most.

thanks for participating in the conversation

field technician for the DOE in new york

not even actually employed by the DOE, by the way. my (former) employer was contracted by the DOE because it provided cheap labor and parts

i hope they lose the DOE contract. it's their bread and butter

currently working at a QA tester for a car junk yard.

All windows based application.
All applications self hosted. "Field engineering" team one guy is a washed up navy vet, whos a drunk, another guy is a flat earther
company trying to be "modern" but no solid processes in place, no proper documentation, a lot of the people who have been employed are on complete "cruise control seniority mode" teams wont talk to one another and shit breaks all the time during deployments, the deployment is literally a fucking confluence page with check boxes and @taguser to complete the steps. Went from a cushy six figure salary and playing around with docker and aws to this garbage fire. career in flames. ask me anything.

IT at a doctors office.

Doctors are the worst combination of inflated ego + unwillingness to spend any money. My subsequent "real" IT jobs have been fantastic in-compariaon.

Got any horror stories? Always wondered what it was like working IT in a medical setting.

First day as a .NET developer. They just put me in a corner next to HR and gave me like 50 electronic documents I have to sign. I did like 3 and started browsing Jow Forums on my phone.

I thought about pulling their repo down but no has mentioned anything about development yet, can't find a link or mention of bit bucket for the life of me. Looks like they use some internal project management shit or something idk

Only 55k I'm regretting every one here is a boomer poo in the loo I want to quit already.

my current gig

IT hardware tech for a school board up here in Canada.

Responsible for dozens of schools. Only 2 hardware guys. The demands put on us are insane. I regret ever getting into IT. I ended up in IT industry after being laid off from my old job in an obscure field.

I guess story time. This happened last week :

>working for medium sized company in the IT department.
>Everytime there is a new person hired we receive a xls file from HR with their info so we can create windows login, print badges, access cards, emails, etc
>From time to time you get xls file with small mistakes such as missing letters in a name, no spaces etc
>If it's something we can fix then we usually fix it. Sometimes we get "birthdate : 12/17/2018" which is obviously wrong because stupid HR wanted to put hire date instead of birthdate. We send those cases back to have them correct the info.

Now last monday :

>"New hire, please create logins"
>Name : "user Johnson"
>Sex : "Female"
>"Gee, this is obviously wrong. Sex : male"

>Wednesday

>Get called into HR.
>user is actually a transgender something something and felt 'discriminated' when he/she/it saw "male" on his access card.
>Explained what happened
>"That's not the procedure we have blah blah blah. If you're not sure you have to ask blah blah blah "
>Almost fired, IT boss saved my ass
>HR went full sjw mode, wants us to change "sex" to "gender" and add like 27 options
>All employees have to attend a 1h course on 'transgender people on the workplace'

user johnson is actually an intern HR hired to shuffle paperwork around who will be here for 1 month but now he might as well work here full time. Bitch, your ticket on 'zomg the printer ran out of paper. Cant print” will never be attended

Should I quit before it's too late ?

is this shopped?
there should be some supporting pilars somewhere alteast

they pay must be good for you to put up with that bullshit

What happened to your old job

>it monkey
lol its not like you matter anyways

>twink thinking he matters
lmfao

not a salary job, but I used to build computers for others in my area locally. I try to offer what's best to them for the pricepoint they're looking to spend, but god damn cubans in florida try to hussle and think I'm scamming them.

rude customers must pay more

Help desk, but I only did that for 3 months.

they cute

Attached: open source.jpg (653x493, 94K)

i think this will apply across the board:
it sux working as a tech directly under someone who isnt a tech or engineer

I second this, what the hell happened man.

Open Office startup.
About 10 employees
Boss and HR had their own rooms
The rest of us were stuck in a small room. We had one big long desk and it was 4 on one side, 4 on the other.
No privacy
After about 6 months of being there I basically knew the bathroom schedules of everyone. I knew that Joe would let go silent farts every so often that he thought were discret but I could tell it was him since the fucking smell creeped up on me every time like slenderman.

I eventually had it and quit after the faggot next to me bought a fucking mechanical keyboard to the office, a loud motherfucker at that, and all day began CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK. It drove me nuts, I hated work, and I told HR the environment was awful and so was she for skimpy out on a real office.

'Customer Care'. Sideways move to get away from a terrible boss. Expected to be a technical expert able to write code yet have sales skills, find new leads and grow revenue all on £30k with no commission. Fucking joke. Fuck GIS.

What does the field engineer do? What's their way stack?

>t. basement dweller

I work at a pediatrician, and one of the doctors spilled a kid's piss on her ThinkPad, and she refused to get a new one, instead opting just to replace the keyboard. it still smells like a urinal 5 years later

Sysadmin at a school
I kept getting pwned by the kids

nice spacing and cool, hip Jow Forums lingo properly used. good look fitting in ebin redditor

this is why i just send shit back if it doesn't look right, lmao

Sys admin at a hosting company.

I wasn't racist toward indians before I started. But the company marketed to so many uneducated indians/paki's that over time I became to view them as poorly educated due to having to constantly assist them tenfold over any other race of human.

Developing nations are outsourced tech work, but the indians are just coming back to american's at their hosting company for help. Their code is usually hackable as fuck too, and few of them keep flatfile backups, let alone backing up their databases.

>cube farm
Used to be soul-crushing, now I'd be happy to have a cube instead of fucking open offices

What is your experience with South American devs? I keep hearing mixed opinions, some say we're pajeet tier but some other say we're okay.

This is what PwC does all day? They just built a huge building in Austin and figured they must be doing something worthwhile.

Im a PM and since i've only been out of school a few years i've only worked a couple jobs. But I worked at a startup for about two years doing like 90 hour work weeks for months on end. Cool experience but I dunno if I could do that for more than a couple years at a time.

>Used to be soul-crushing, now I'd be happy to have a cube instead of fucking open offices

Attached: facebook office.jpg (2048x1537, 948K)

I work for a large children's hospital and it's fine, but that's probably because I don't ever interact with users because I'm in networking.

Attached: 1521659268935.png (496x360, 23K)

Red flag #1

Attached: Screenshot_20181217-200849.png (1080x1920, 1.8M)

Building "BOTS" using Automation Anywhere and UIPath. Fuck me.

EE's are best programmes, since you fucks can't even modify our code.

Jesus that's distracting.

I work at Adobe and they have a sort of open, sort of cube farm lay out. Desks have some divisions but not full height, and they aren't the whole floor, there's still lounges & casual seating and shit if you want it. It's pretty great actually, plus there's a big "headphones = Do not disturb" culture so it's easy to zero in if you're working on something.

You faggots are the reason I have a job. EEs have no concept of secure coding

Any react developer first day experience?

no man, its OG as fuck. from original tron and youre seeing a backdrop

fellow sysadmin here
how do I stop these kids from pwning me all day?

Attached: 1533249595401.jpg (2208x1242, 702K)

maintaining java backend with an old JavaScript front end framework. Can’t update anything, can’t even use new recent ecmascript since the main thing runs on an old Linux server, everything must run on an old browser running on it

And it’s a big ass company, selling this shit to big ass companies... poor fuckers

Attached: 4L_sDzbZuFq.jpg (388x750, 33K)

Then... how do you mantain it if you aren't able to modify a thing?

Granted, I'm currently working my first programming job, but I initially avoided .NET and C# like the plague, but eventually gave in because that's what everyone's hiring. Tbh C# hasn't been that bad. Other than having to use shitty TFS and falling into dll hell a few times, it's been pretty neat.

Solving nothing but bugs would suck dick though.

I've met some good female programmers... but this makes me think twice about hiring women...

for the java side, only the oldest/original developers know what the fuck is going on there, for simple stuff like implementing RPC calls for the front end, is straightforward.

On the front end, you have to adapt everything to this old framework, remember the old ass browser.

Everything must be compiled on a server and pulled to a target machine, compilation takes 10 minutes, so fucking up something basic is not an option.

Attached: 4L_apghNXT5.jpg (840x1500, 224K)

You should've gone all in, and asked them why they were hiring a man with such severe mental health issues.

trained my replacement under the guise of expansion/promotion

Late reply, but I have some time now to elaborate more since you're curious.

I did surgery scheduling and IT, so there is a good mix of IT and medical horror.

- When I first started, their main database server had failing drives. No backups. They somehow managed squeaking by spending as little as possible.
- Quit paying EMR vendor for support around 2011. Surprise surprise, Windows updates break EMR functionality. Instead of paying for EMR support, they stopped patching their Server 2003 machines. Left it that way until 2015-2016, when ICD-10 rolled-out. Turns out physicians don't give a fuck about IT and security unless it affects billing. Only reason why we got new 2012 R2 boxes.
- Always off the shelf or refurb garbage machines. Always the cheapest ones for sale if one of the old pentium 4 Dell machines with XP died. I brought-in my own q6600 rig that was faster than every single desktop at that office in 2015-2016.
- Open RDP ports to a terminal server. Doctor's iFuck device's RDP client required admin credentials to RDP properly. While I ended-up restricting RDP access to local/VPN traffic, after I quit they had another IT monkey undo my work and they're running exposed RDP again.
- Cannot underestimate unwillingness to spend money. Fudging overtime pay, using decrepit hard drives to run a hackneyed off-site back-up (which they stopped maintaining after I left), buying ancient medical devices/hardware second/third-hand from other practices
- One patient was a heroin addict, pregnant and on methodone her whole pregnancy.
- Just generally the amount of people addicted to opioids who you have to talk with and ween off or refer to pain management is insane. We were never bad about overprescribing opioids but it is probably the single worst drug problem in the US at the moment.
- Management would hire literally anyone. You could be the most incompetent person and they will hire you and have you checking people in.
Etc etc etc. Glad I left.

I worked for several years for a trade association. I was nominally in their IT department, but management never really seemed to know what to do with me, and eventually I got downsized. Good money and reasonable hours, but otherwise a lousy situation.

I enjoy solving bugs. Way less process overhead, I dig deeper into the system, and I'm fixing someone else's problem. It's like programming in college all over again.

It's not my main task but I don't turn down an interesting head scratcher.

>>I work at Adobe
Please convince them to post the source-code for the Adobe suite online somewhere.
Please. Even if it's just the older versions before it went subscription based.

>large non-software company
>Writting software for a niche customer
>Years 1-2 go by great
>Year 3, sit for 4 months without a project. Manager had to beg for the money to keep me around for oncoming project
>Year 4, massive contract fuckup in department
>> contractors called into a room and fired sameday
>> Work halted
>> Direct employees tossed at every other group on site
>> Was on a different project and avoided issue
> Months later money is turned back on, I get pulled from my lifetime long project to work the dumpster fire
> Other project gets awards for parts I worked, still putting the shitcan back together together
> Project sends me to site for 3 months, tell them I'm not going back.
> Get put on new project, expecting huge staffing increase
> Managers move all new work and project leads to a new site, announce massive reduction in force with the hardware engineers.
> "Time to start looking for a new job, this rif a year is getting old."
> Interview with Amazon, did not research programming interviews. Killed self afterward
> Several interviews later, find a job because of my process skills
>Allagileakbar their software processes
> Project gets cancelled due to hardware delays
> Not rif'd
>Promoted to manager

Seriously, I'd love just 1 full project again. It's been 7 years since I last took something from nothing and delivered a final software product, while being paid.

I can vouch for this. I did tech support for a number of years for small doctor offices. Doctors are the worst people to explain and train when it comes to new tech.

For starters, they're usually cheap asses who never want to spend money to upgrade their equipment or infrastructure; many of them outsource majority of their IT to another company that does the absolute bare minimum and creates a bureaucratic nightmare to get anything done and those that don't will cut corners as often as possible, like buying aftermarket hardware and getting their nephew to set everything up because "he's really good with computers."

The other thing doctors love to do is hire the absolute worst employees they can find to do their billing and accounts receivable. These are usually high school grads or college drop-outs (Mostly females), first time job, never used a computer to do more than check e-mail or browse facebook. Yet they're entrusted with medical billing spanning thousands of patients, hundreds of insurance carriers, and claims paying out as high as $150K a month. And, unlike modern commercial payers, government payers are so far behind the times they still use shit like SFTP or, in some rare cases, dial-up. Yes, I'm not joking, we still have some people who have to connect via 56K and transfer files because their contractor deems it more "secure" than web-based transactions. Imagine 20-fucking-18, sitting on a phone call, trying to explain to Stacey how to initiate a hyperterminal connection to Medicare and then login through a BBS, made me consider suicide.

I work Night Audit for an independent hotel without an IT department. Because I went to school for Information Systems I am the defacto "IT Guy" minus the pay.

There are numerous problems but #1 is this - the hotel has a single network; all of our infrastructure including file servers and domain controller are on the same unsecured network as what guests have access to. The DC is named "domain controller," all machines and logins have admin credentials, and no user accounts have ever been deleted. I dont believe we have backups either.

I'm walking into this mess and before I do anything to fix it, I'm demanding a raise. Otherwise I'm telling them to hire an MSP to unfuck their shit.

Worst job was working for this fairly large server manufacturer that is basically just a subcontractor for OEMs who don't want to spin up their own manufacturing operations. I was basically just building PCs with fancy server hardware 10 hours a day and/or installing software on the finished servers. The novelty wore off fast and I ended up so bored that I'd show up to work drunk most days. They moved me around a bunch so I got to work on all kinds of shit but as standardized and modular as computers are new shit became old real fast. They eventually fired me, which I was kind of ok with, since I was working as a contractor and half the other people on the production floor were contractors who had been doing contract work there for multiple years straight despite being told they'd be hired on full time after like 6 months.

Currently working as a network engineer at a tier 1 ISP that keeps buying up other ISPs in an attempt to become the next ma bell. Our network is a complete clusterfuck and the team I'm on is responsible for moving customer circuits around for the purposes of network optimization. It's actually pretty nice once you get past the initial panic of realizing that everything going on around you is completely fucked because it's all rushed through last minute with no thought given to documentation. I just view it as job security. I can pretty much work from home and play videogames all day while doing maybe half an hour of work a day, on the rare occasions I actually go into the office I usually just sleep in my cube most of the time.

Attached: 1397538063195.jpg (750x500, 189K)

So glad I'm a nurse, I rather wipe 100 asses of pt's infected with c.diff than deal with cubicle culture.

someone needs to pull these fucking doctors down a notch

startup job

Haha those doctors

sounds like you're just a contrarian

>career in flames
explain

Sounds like fucking hell. Godspeed, user

I take things that didn't happen for 100, Jim. But ebin grentegst , did everyone clap ?

At least you receive xls's
>Medium sized company
>Have a new user form readily available from our intranet hosting
>Even after telling HR dozens of times about it, they either ignore it or give me a straight "I don't have time for it"
>Few days pass
>"user why isn't the new user ready yet? Where is his pc? Why are we paying you?"

I was an intern for the marketing and operations of a privately owned city council that planned major public events for the city. Aside from things like keeping garbage cans empty, setting up snow fence, cleaning off outdoor seat cushions, and loading stanchions on and off of a truck I had to deal with mass emailing various city offices.
The real fun part of this was trying to get in touch with the police, city works, waste management, and other people within our little office. Everything ran out of Outlook, and things were scheduled months in advance because it took about a week to get a single email out and have a response.
Apart from Outlook being a pant shitting unreliable mess in the early 2000s, the big issue I had was hardware related. I didn't find out until I was done working at this company though. The office's network was all wired together with a couple switches which were sitting on top of a microwave in the break room, which was also a sort of utility closet. Apparently anytime the microwave was used it made the switches shut off/reboot/or just stop functioning for as long as it was on.

Imagine not being able to send emails because some fat fuck is reheating his swedish meatballs. Fuck you, Minneapolis.

And yet not a single black person to be found.

Worked IT for a university for a little bit, the listing said 15 dollars an hour, they started me out at 11, only gave me 20 hours the first month then said after our fiscal year I'd get 40 hours, only got 4 more hours. Was supposed to be an Access Control Administrator Trainee position, but in reality I was the office bitch boy getting everyone's coffee and doing shit work like replacing toners that blew up, and since the place was business casual I'd get reprimanded for stupid shit like blue toner getting on my pants due to the fuckin xerox cart nutting inside the printer.

Topkek, that's a killer fucking DoS.

I just finished an information systems degree in Canada. How the fuck do I get to where you’re at? Am I screwed?

Why do medium size companies even need a HR department unless you're in a country with extremely complex and convoluted labor laws like France or something.

I'll take closed cubiles over open offices. My old office had comfy, 6-foot tall cube walls that nobody could peer over. And they weren't narrow, they had a good 8 to 10 foot width. If someone needed you, they had to physically walk into your cube and take a seat.

Then we switched offices and got much smaller cubes, only 4-foot tall, more narrow, and no entrance, just an open back, so your neighbors to your immediate left or right could lean over and see what you were doing or anybody could approach your whole cube behind you.

A bait-and-switch internship where I was promised a full time position and that never materialized. They just kept stringing me along while doing little to teach me or help me improve in any real way. Then, when I find a different job and leave, they tell me the reason I never got an offer was because I didn't meet their expectations. If that were so, they could have said that or told me what I was lacking in instead of telling me "we're working on your full time offer" over and over. Fuck that place and fuck those guys. I'm doing way better now, though.

HR departments grow; you hire one person to handle paperwork, and they hire someone else to assist them, and then a few more so that the first person can be a manager.

They never lay anyone off; they just keep growing, like a tumor.

I know a guy who does Citrix for a major hospital. He drinks heavily and has gone completely bald.

one good lawsuit fixes all that shit.
when the Chinese breached one of our servers at Berkeley, all but one head rolled (they needed one sysadmin) and they started forking over millions per year for intrusion insurance.

not many people know this, but the sysadmin they kept was the guy in charge of the server that was breached. they were in there for like a fucking year, and the only reason we ever knew they were there at all is because they left a fucking text file letting us know.

Attached: ashamed embarassed disgraced.jpg (272x350, 14K)

>I wasn't racist toward indians before I started
Same. Actually I was mildly racist, but now I'm so racist that I'm ashamed of myself.

Phone support for a company with NO training whatsoever. Quit after two weeks.

This. Also what a MSC is depends from country to country. For instance, here a ~250 employee company (like the one I'm in) is still considered medium sized. That already requires at least 1 or 2 persons dedicated to HR alone.

Fixing my grandpas Windows Vista shitbox while trying not to breathe so I don't throw up from the fart stench.

On behalf of docs, sorry m8. Some of us are real selfish pieces of shit. I still love you though.

>What's the worst tech job you ever had?
All IT jobs. Anykey, DevOps, SysAdmin., Programming Junior.

Cisco/Juniper certs and luck. I went to the local community college to study for the CCNA exam. They have a series of 4 classes to prepare you for it, with the first class being just basic networking concepts and learning subnetting. That first class had a failure rate of something like 90%, mostly because people couldn't wrap their heads around how subnetting works. Subnetting is kind of like riding a bike, once it clicks in your head how to do it it's stupidly fucking easy and you'll never forget it, but for some reason most people seem to have trouble with it and just don't understand it at all.

Knowing networking and being certified or having verifiable experience in the field, especially with a telecommunications company, is basically guaranteed employment, as it's a skill which is highly in demand. Having worked my current job for about 6 years now, if I were to be fired or quit I'm confident I could have multiple companies bidding to hire me within a week of submitting resumes.

Attached: connect port.jpg (960x953, 127K)

JUST

Attached: 7b0.png (456x320, 132K)

>These are usually high school grads or college drop-outs (Mostly females), first time job, never used a computer to do more than check e-mail or browse facebook. Yet they're entrusted with medical billing spanning thousands of patients, hundreds of insurance carriers, and claims paying out as high as $150K a month.

Doctors then brag about how they like to "train their own" billing receptionists.

I've been through a lot of shit, but chief among which was probably trying to do helpdesk work in a department so severely understaffed it was ~300 end users for every 1 supporter, while simultaneously trying to dodge entanglement in the seemingly endless stream of inane personal shit spewed by the utterly incompetent boss sitting directly across from you.
The pay was a joke, and average employee retention in that department was less than six months. Really makes you think.

Attached: 1534828781975.png (1000x800, 44K)

WTF? How does this even work?

Attached: 123.jpg (995x592, 145K)

continue

Early adoptation of pic related

Attached: 1536379496647.png (780x1061, 531K)

Attached: tyo3tyt4czcjou0d1glt.jpg (700x1024, 146K)

It's always been kind of amazing to me how little work a lot of these people do. My company only has 1 HR/business manager person and she's good, but whenever a bunch of women get hired into these places their productivity is terrible

lel if you're falling into dll hell, your application architecture is fucked. Net was specifically created to cease the dll madness of the 90s.

Do you get those lovely ones from Cognizant?