How did Apple have a monopoly on computer labs in the 90s? When did Microsoft take over the as the standard?

How did Apple have a monopoly on computer labs in the 90s? When did Microsoft take over the as the standard?

Attached: 7d48cbc55a44716f45ca325ed9b9fae0.jpg (1024x768, 126K)

apple practically gave that shit away to schools

>Remembers being forced to use that round, circle, arthritis inducing "mouse"

>How did Apple have a monopoly on computer labs in the 90s?
see >When did Microsoft take over the as the standard?
Right after their first experience with macinshit.
>QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
>bomb crash ever 5 minutes
>bomb crash when you try to save
>bomb crash when you try to move the mouse
>special snowflake filesystem refuses to play nice with the entire rest of the world on FAT32 floppies

Attached: 1514892394628.jpg (1000x1000, 287K)

>bomb
That's insensitive

>How did Apple have a monopoly on computer labs in the 90s?

Apple had a monopoly on design software. Every creative field from design to architecture to publishing used Macs exclusively.

I think they gave very favourable deals to school and OSX was seen as the OS for "creativity" instead of boring shit and gaymes like Windows.

It were all Sun SparcStation 5's when I were a lad (or Tektronix terminals if you had to mingle with the peasants on occasion), with a handful of shitty Windows NT machines.

Attached: Fredc.jpg.gallery.jpg (150x201, 8K)

apple brainwashed people to think it's expensive and exclusive
teachers are poor
schools get discounts
teachers getting the school to buy them is the only way to feel lux

also helped that

helped that windows was a heaping pile of shit in the late 90s early 2000. win98 was not a pleasant experience

MacOS wasn't either when things went wrong but Apple had a better support structure since they built the software and the machines. Just ship that "broken" one back and get a new one.

The two schools I went to in the 90s both had PCs in the labs. The first time I saw one of these was an administration computer at a middleschool, it confused me for being an all-in-one but that transparent colored plastic was so spacey and cool.

to be fair the floppy problem was solved by the end of the '90s and Macs could read Fat-formatted floppies fine (implying you used fat32 on a 1.4mb disk lmao).

However, getting the software on the mac to open the document without fucking the code page up was always the gamble of the day, but that was Microsoft's fault more than anything.

they were an institution in audio recording, but there was perfectly good cad and desktop publishing for all the major platforms back then. it was more true back then, but even now people have the idea that apple shit is for creative people when windows and linux are both perfectly capable for the same jobs.

win9x and mac os classic were both unstable dumpster fires full of ancient hacks. i do like os classic because it's so primitive. it is great of single tasking because it barely does anything. the same reason i like dos. it's inferior to win9x in the end because it runs so damn slow. apple never fucking finished their transition to ppc and in os9 still had 68k operating system code running on an emulator. in the fucking 90s where win nt was not mainstream for home ues yet because of cpu speed! still i am glad both of them are gone.

nice. hopefully they actually taught computer science there.

i remember when mac os would apply filesystem tags to all files. if you inserted a compatible disk with a compatible file system that was written on pc, it wouldn't have this proprietary tag, and the mac would refuse to open it even if it was a standard jpeg, midi or text file because it was infected with pc cooties. apple used to be way worse than they are now.

we had the pill-shaped one, but it was still just a buttonless excuse for a "mouse" I remember bringing in a cruddy old ps/2 port mouse to school just to avoid using it, and had to use one of those green dongles as well to make it fit in the usb slot

Those fucking transparent shit boxes were only seen in proto-hipster internet cafes over here (Norway). My school was 3.1 and Windows 95.

Attached: 1437935356895.jpg (865x966, 165K)

Same shit with every OS at the time to be honest. Windows was BSOD'ing like a motherfucker, specially 9x.

Yup. Apple was playing the long game and now they're laughing all the way to the bank

90% of that was the fault of shitty 3rd party drivers. Meanwhile, Appleshit was all 1st party everything and yet managed to be more unstable in every way.

>i remember when mac os would apply filesystem tags to all files. if you inserted a compatible disk with a compatible file system that was written on pc, it wouldn't have this proprietary tag, and the mac would refuse to open it even if it was a standard jpeg, midi or text file because it was infected with pc cooties. apple used to be way worse than they are now.
What you're referring to is the resource fork going missing on FAT or and DOS formatted filesystems, not what you're trying to explain. You could still open the files fine if you used "Open" from the specific viewer application. Because MacOS used the resource fork instead of file extension to open files, i.e. you could name a .jpg to a .mp3 and it would still open with a photo viewer, while Windows would try to open it with a audio player.

No, Apple-shit was very 3rd party at the time, 3rd party multimedia cards, like video cards and also programs, like office or web browsers. That's what mostly caused it to fuck up, since it didn't have proper memory protection. I recently just encountered an outdated system extension for a particular device I have in a 68k Macintosh that would crash randomly on 8.0 but not on 7.5, since it wasn't updated.
It was a blessing and a curse at the same time, if you wanted your program to run properly and be successful, you wrote it carefully, if you didn't it would crash or have compatibility issues, unlike today where developers lazy out and just shrug when something crashes, because it won't take the whole OS down with it and you can just open it again.